PDA

View Full Version : Am I the only one that thought the defense did ok considering who they played?

buddy33
12-04-2011, 10:24 PM
The Green Bay Packers are the highest scoring offense in the NFL. They have a QB who is playing a season better than maybe even Brady did in 2007.

They didn't give up 7 on the interception, and the refs blew the call on that 1 Green Bay TD. Now they where in field goal range so I'll put 3 on the defense, but 4 on the refs.

So that's 27 points I put on the defense. Against that team with all the people they have out I think the defense played well.

The last drive was tough, but a minute left for a QB that is changing the game against a tired defense with rookies and guys just signed was not the best place for them to be in.

I'm not putting all the blame on the offense, but when you play a team like Green Bay you can have 0 mistakes and you have to take advantage of when the defense did force a punt which they did do tonight.

I hope next week if the defense forces punts the offense turns them into TD's.

BigBlue24/7
12-04-2011, 10:30 PM
I thought they played well but that last drive was inexcusable... and I saw a tweet that Rodgers said if the packers didnt get a lot of yards on their first play on the last drive, they would have ran it out for overtime........... wow.............

jhamburg
12-04-2011, 10:31 PM
Yeesh, I dunno. The packers receivers dropped a lot of easy catches, it could have been much worse. I don't remember if they ended up scoring on those drives anyway though. At least we played great run defense and the pass rush was certainly an improvement over last week.

EmpireStateG
12-04-2011, 10:34 PM
Yeesh, I dunno. The packers receivers dropped a lot of easy catches, it could have been much worse. I don't remember if they ended up scoring on those drives anyway though. At least we played great run defense and the pass rush was certainly an improvement over last week.

Well, it would certainly be difficult to be worse ....

buddy33
12-04-2011, 10:36 PM
I thought they played well but that last drive was inexcusable... and I saw a tweet that Rodgers said if the packers didnt get a lot of yards on their first play on the last drive, they would have ran it out for overtime........... wow.............

Yeah, but I mean a rookie LB took a shot and almost made a great play. Not like Williams knew what Rogers was thinking. Then Rogers hit Nelson and he beat a guy that they just got on the team.

Mr Excitement
12-04-2011, 10:37 PM

That last drive was unacceptable...they did play good...better than expected....but that last drive was brutal....almost like they weren't even on the field.

RobCarpenter
12-04-2011, 10:37 PM
Yeesh, I dunno. The packers receivers dropped a lot of easy catches, it could have been much worse. I don't remember if they ended up scoring on those drives anyway though. At least we played great run defense and the pass rush was certainly an improvement over last week.</P>

We were very fortunate today with all the dropped passes by GB. too many GB receivers were wide open (again). They still scored 38 points, but easily could have been much more. </P>

Allowing the Packers to go straight down the field in the final minute afterour Offense had just scored a big last minute TD with a 2 point conversion was inexcusable.</P>

If our defense can step up, we can win this thing.</P>

Mr Excitement
12-04-2011, 10:39 PM
dont forget the missed FG....

Ruttiger711
12-04-2011, 10:43 PM
The Green Bay Packers are the highest scoring offense in the NFL. They have a QB who is playing a season better than maybe even Brady did in 2007.

They didn't give up 7 on the interception, and the refs blew the call on that 1 Green Bay TD. Now they where in field goal range so I'll put 3 on the defense, but 4 on the refs.

So that's 27 points I put on the defense. Against that team with all the people they have out I think the defense played well.

The last drive was tough, but a minute left for a QB that is changing the game against a tired defense with rookies and guys just signed was not the best place for them to be in.

I'm not putting all the blame on the offense, but when you play a team like Green Bay you can have 0 mistakes and you have to take advantage of when the defense did force a punt which they did do tonight.

In the game day thread, with the Giants up 17-14 midway through the 2nd - Green Bay was driving and you had said if we lose this game ,it's on the offense.

So youre taking 11 points of the board for the D - that's generous to say the least.

buddy33
12-04-2011, 10:43 PM
Don't forget the blown call on the TD or the extremely ticky tack penalty on Williams while you are at it. I believe both where on 3rd downs.

buddy33
12-04-2011, 10:47 PM

In the game day thread, with the Giants up 17-14 midway through the 2nd - Green Bay was driving and you had said if we lose this game ,it's on the offense.

So youre taking 11 points of the board for the D - that's generous to say the least.

Yeah, that is right. When you have your defense force the #1 offense to punt 3 times and get a TO in the 1st half its on the offense for not putting up enough points against one of the worse defenses in the league. The game was not lost on that last drive alone.

Do you dispute those 11 points? How could you? You know that was a bad call and 7 where off the pick.

RobCarpenter
. In the game day thread, with the Giants up 17-14 midway through the 2nd - Green Bay was driving and you had said if we lose this game ,it's on the offense. </P>

Wow, that is a very telling statement...</P>

Harooni
I agree , D looked ready to play and made it difficult for Rodgers

buddy33
12-04-2011, 10:49 PM
I agree , D looked ready to play and made it difficult for Rodgers *

Now what if the offense gave them a bigger lead to work with when they did force Green Bay to punt? Just saying that the game might be played different with a bigger lead. We will never know.

bearbryant
12-04-2011, 10:53 PM
All of those nice thoughts do not matter anymore to this team. They have character issues on this team and they will not be taken care of by playing "ok". If your team can't stop any team in front of you with a W on the line, that team sux. Its all about attitude, a very poor one.</P>

</P>

Mr Excitement
12-04-2011, 10:54 PM
The D played well....just not good enough to win...especially that last drive....WOW!

FBomb
12-04-2011, 10:55 PM
The Packers shredded our defense and would have been worse if it wasn't for all the dropped passes.

Harooni

Now what if the offense gave them a bigger lead to work with when they did force Green Bay to punt? Just saying that the game might be played different with a bigger lead. We will never know.

losing KP hurt the D and also 2 turnovers from our O that keeps getting overlooked.

Harooni

losing KP hurt the D and also 2 turnovers from our O that keeps getting overlooked.

buddy33
12-04-2011, 10:56 PM
The Packers shredded our defense and would have been worse if it wasn't for all the dropped passes.

Drops happen. You should know, you are a Giants fan.

Anyway, you guys seem to keep forgetting about the refs. Now I don't shy from saying when the Giants stink, but they where working against the refs today so I don't feel bad about all the drops.

Mr Excitement
12-04-2011, 10:57 PM

Exactly....and then you got people saying the O turned the ball over twice....well why the hell didnt the D cause a few more ?

buddy33
12-04-2011, 10:57 PM
I agree , D looked ready to play and made it difficult for Rodgers *

losing KP hurt the D* and also 2 turnovers from our O that keeps getting overlooked.*

Right. People want to bring up the missed field goal but don't remember why they where in position to attempt it.

Another starter out as well.

buddy33
12-04-2011, 10:59 PM

Exactly....and then you got people saying the O turned the ball over twice....well why the hell didnt the D cause a few more ?

Why didn't the offense score more when the Packers punted and have a very bad defense?

How many TO's do the Packers commit? Come on man, they are very good and the Giants needed to play a no TO game against them.

FBomb
12-04-2011, 10:59 PM
The Packers shredded our defense and would have been worse if it wasn't for all the dropped passes. Drops happen. You should know, you are a Giants fan. Anyway, you guys seem to keep forgetting about the refs. Now I don't shy from saying when the Giants stink, but they where working against the refs today so I don't feel bad about all the drops.</P>

What does "drops happen" have to do with anything? The fact is they DID happen and it made our defense "look" better than is actually was. Rogers shredded this defense.....his recievers made it a little harder on him.</P>

FBomb
12-04-2011, 11:01 PM

</P>

The offense isn't without blame in this. Mistakes cost us badly.</P>

buddy33
12-04-2011, 11:01 PM
The Packers shredded our defense and would have been worse if it wasn't for all the dropped passes. Drops happen. You should know, you are a Giants fan. Anyway, you guys seem to keep forgetting about the refs. Now I don't shy from saying when the Giants stink, but they where working against the refs today so I don't feel bad about all the drops.</P>

What does "drops happen" have to do with anything?* The fact is they DID happen and it made our defense "look" better than is actually was.* Rogers shredded this defense.....his recievers made it a little harder on him.</P>

Yeah and the refs helped them so it evens out.

Harooni
12-04-2011, 11:02 PM
rodgers did not shred us, brees did. but rodgers often had to adlib on the run. hats off to him but the D brang it.

Mr Excitement
12-04-2011, 11:04 PM

Why didn't the offense score more when the Packers punted and have a very bad defense?

How many TO's do the Packers commit? Come on man, they are very good and the Giants needed to play a no TO game against them.

The offense score 35 points!!!....And Rodgers all but gave us a pick 6 back...the Packs D is bad...but ours is worse.

buddy33
12-04-2011, 11:04 PM
I'm just saying that the score showed 38 for Green Bay and the defense was really responsible for 27. Against that team that is not that bad.

BlueBlooded1979
12-04-2011, 11:05 PM
They played better than last week but Fewell is a still calling plays like a scared little kid. He even said before the game:

"we can't match up with their guys"

He should have been fired once he said that. That isn't how things are done in east rutherford. The role of DC for the NYG is not for the meek, timid or faint of heart. If you haven't got the stones to lock horns with the best then you don't belong.

Can anyone see Spagnulo or Fox or any other great Giant DC saying something like that ?

Mr Excitement
12-04-2011, 11:06 PM
we all saw what Rodgers is capable of on that last drive...I even said to my friend it was like the Pack was toying with us most of the game because they were running a lot more than that had to.......Giants made mistakes on both sides of the ball....not just the O.

Ruttiger711
12-04-2011, 11:07 PM

Yeah, that is right. When you have your defense force the #1 offense to punt 3 times and get a TO in the 1st half its on the offense for not putting up enough points against one of the worse defenses in the league. The game was not lost on that last drive alone.

Do you dispute those 11 points? How could you? You know that was a bad call and 7 where off the pick.

Points are on the board - i don't think the Jennings "catch" was a td but it's not like the D wasn't beat.

Yes 7 points were off the pick th e EARLY pick - Giants took the lead and it's not like they were chasing those points at all during the game.

My point is that after about 22 minutes of good defensive play by the D - that was enough for you to hang any failure on the O - the team took the lead 17-14 and the D was getting driven on and GB looked good to score.

Your standards for good defensive play just seem a little .. Low.

It took Eli a while to shake off that int, but the O came back, tied GBin the 4th, something no other team has done this year.

It's about finishing strong.

buddy33
12-04-2011, 11:07 PM

The offense score 35 points!!!....And Rodgers all but gave us a pick 6 back...the Packs D is bad...but ours is worse.

The offense still could have helped out more. The defense is so depleted they needed to make the most of the opportunities given to them by the defense.

Not saying the offense was bad, but you can not throw a pick 6 against that team and when you defense hold their offense you have to get points because Green By will get theirs no matter who they play.

buddy33
12-04-2011, 11:08 PM
we all saw what Rodgers is capable of on that last drive...I even said to my friend it was like the Pack was toying with us most of the game because they were running a lot more than that had to.......Giants made mistakes on both sides of the ball....not just the O.

Now that is where I can't agree at all. So they where toying with their perfect season? LOL. Seriously?

RobCarpenter
12-04-2011, 11:09 PM
</P>

Rogers passed for 369 yards with 4 TD pasess. He had a 106 passer rating today. His performance wouldhave been evenbetter if his receivers hadn't dropped several relatively easy passeswhich they were wide open for....</P>

Yeah, the D sure made it difficult for Rogers...just likethe economy ishumming along...</P>

Allowing the Packers to go straight down the field in the final minute after our Offense had just scored a big last minute TD with a 2 point conversion was inexcusable.</P>

If our defense can step up, we can win this thing.</P>

</P>

DandyDon
12-04-2011, 11:09 PM

What does "drops happen" have to do with anything?* The fact is they DID happen and it made our defense "look" better than is actually was.* Rogers shredded this defense.....his recievers made it a little harder on him.</P>

Why is it when we drop passes it means we (and/or Eli) suck, and when Green Bay (the best team evuh) drops pass it means poor Rogers was let down by his receivers?

This is BS. We pressured Rodgers and he was not as good. And we covered prettly well for most of the game. End of story.

Sigh.....

buddy33
12-04-2011, 11:12 PM

Points are on the board - i don't think the Jennings "catch" was a td but it's not like the D wasn't beat.

Yes 7 points were off the pick th e EARLY pick - Giants took the lead and it's not like they were chasing those points at all during the game.

My point is that after about 22 minutes of good defensive play by the D - that was enough for you to hang any failure on the O - the team took the lead 17-14 and the D was getting driven on and GB looked good to score.

It took Eli a while to shake off that int, but the O came back, tied GBin the 4th, something no other team has done this year.

Like I said, the game was not lost on the last drive alone.

You agree that it wasn't a TD but the guy was beat. How convenient. It wasn't a TD but it could have been. LOL.

You also admit Eli was in a funk after that pick. That was why I said I put it on the offense too because they got the ball back a few times and did nothing with it a knowing who they where playing I thought they needed to get points.

FBomb
12-04-2011, 11:17 PM

What does "drops happen" have to do with anything? The fact is they DID happen and it made our defense "look" better than is actually was. Rogers shredded this defense.....his recievers made it a little harder on him.</P>

Why is it when we drop passes it means we (and/or Eli) suck, and when Green Bay (the best team evuh) drops pass it means poor Rogers was let down by his receivers? This is BS. We pressured Rodgers and he was not as good. And we covered prettly well for most of the game. End of story. Sigh.....</P>

lol....you're delusional.</P>

First...I have always defended Eli for the dropped passes, so there goes your litttle conspiracy theory out the window....</P>

Secondly....Rogers was not AS good but still shredded this defense with 4 tds and nearly 400 yards. It would have been REALLY ugly if his passes were caight instead of dropped.</P>

</P>

Roosevelt
12-04-2011, 11:17 PM
They played better than last week but Fewell is a still calling plays like a scared little kid. He even said before the game:

He should have been fired once he said that. That isn't how things are done in east rutherford. The role of DC for the NYG is not for the meek, timid or faint of heart. If you haven't got the stones to lock horns with the best then you don't belong.

Can anyone see Spagnulo or Fox or any other great Giant DC saying something like that ?

In fairness most of our injuries are on the defensive side. What do we have now 8 guys out of line-up?

buddy33
12-04-2011, 11:20 PM

In fairness most of our injuries are on the defensive side.* What do we have now 8 guys out of line-up?

Add KP to the list as of today.

Ruttiger711
12-04-2011, 11:22 PM

You agree that it wasn't a TD but the guy was beat. How convenient. It wasn't a TD but it could have been. LOL.

You also admit Eli was in a funk after that pick. That was why I said I put it on the offense too because they got the ball back a few times and did nothing with it a knowing who they where playing I thought they needed to get points.

Convenient? I guess? I don't agree it was a td but per the rules he had possession and it's a td. It would have been better if he went to the ground because he would have had to maintain it.

Your stance then was that the D, after a whole quarter and a half, did their job - FOR THE GAME.

....but seeing you backed off of that - by your thread title - I'll agree - the D just played "OK".

buddy33
12-04-2011, 11:47 PM

Convenient? I guess? I don't agree it was a td but per the rules he had possession and it's a td. It would have been better if he went to the ground because he would have had to maintain it.

Your stance then was that the D, after a whole quarter and a half, did their job - FOR THE GAME.

....but seeing you backed off of that - by your thread title - I'll agree - the D just played "OK".

I didn't back off. That is why I am still saying it since the game. I think the offense could have done more to help.

Look at the Saints and Green Bay. Their defenses give up all sorts of yards and points. The difference is that when they do make a stop on defense their offense makes the most out of it.

buddy33
12-04-2011, 11:48 PM
Oh, and it's convenient because you know that was not a TD.

Ruttiger711
12-04-2011, 11:52 PM
Oh, and it's convenient because you know that was not a TD.

As a giants fan I'm convinced it wasn't. The way the rules are the crappy refs had an out not to overturn.

Jotun_Fan
12-04-2011, 11:57 PM
I certainly don't think giving up 31 points on defense is a good outing, especially since it could have been more.

miked1958
12-05-2011, 12:01 AM
I agree with the maker,of this thread for the most part. Can't let them go right down field with under a minute. If they needed a td there I think they could of got it.lol bad D.
One stop. One stop if we were to hold them to no gain or a loss sack type play they run clock out. Rodgers said it himself in a tweet

buddy33
12-05-2011, 12:04 AM
I agree with the maker,of this thread for the most part. Can't let them go right down field with under a minute. If they needed a td there I think they could of got it.lol bad D.
One stop. One stop if we were to hold them to no gain or a loss sack type play they run clock out. Rodgers said it himself in a tweet

A rookie LB came close to making a great play. To bad he just missed. Then he picked on a guy who was not in the league a couple of weeks ago. It was just a tough spot to be in for any team.

thegreatone
12-05-2011, 01:25 AM
Hard to gauge considering how many drops gb had. They definitely didn't play horrible till the last 58 secs

hungrrrry
12-05-2011, 09:20 AM
The Green Bay Packers are the highest scoring offense in the NFL. They have a QB who is playing a season better than maybe even Brady did in 2007. They didn't give up 7 on the interception, and the refs blew the call on that 1 Green Bay TD. Now they where in field goal range so I'll put 3 on the defense, but 4 on the refs. So that's 27 points I put on the defense. Against that team with all the people they have out I think the defense played well. The last drive was tough, but a minute left for a QB that is changing the game against a tired defense with rookies and guys just signed was not the best place for them to be in. I'm not putting all the blame on the offense, but when you play a team like Green Bay you can have 0 mistakes and you have to take advantage of when the defense did force a punt which they did do tonight. I hope next week if the defense forces punts the offense turns them into TD's.</P>

The defense did do better...however, Fewell still did not commit to rushing the passer which killed us on the last TD he threw to Donald Driver, for just one of many examples. Rodgers had all day! If we rush the passer more, our secondary would not have glaring weaknesses. Perry Fool does not seem to understand that if you dont give the QB time to pick us apart he usually won't. Does not understand playing to your strengths (which is rushing the passer). Does not grasp that playing to "protect" against the big play does not work as well as playing to make the big play. This guy is terrible!!!</P>

Roosevelt
12-05-2011, 09:36 AM
The Green Bay Packers are the highest scoring offense in the NFL. They have a QB who is playing a season better than maybe even Brady did in 2007. They didn't give up 7 on the interception, and the refs blew the call on that 1 Green Bay TD. Now they where in field goal range so I'll put 3 on the defense, but 4 on the refs. So that's 27 points I put on the defense. Against that team with all the people they have out I think the defense played well. The last drive was tough, but a minute left for a QB that is changing the game against a tired defense with rookies and guys just signed was not the best place for them to be in. I'm not putting all the blame on the offense, but when you play a team like Green Bay you can have 0 mistakes and you have to take advantage of when the defense did force a punt which they did do tonight. I hope next week if the defense forces punts the offense turns them into TD's.</p>

The defense did do better...however, Fewell still did not commit to rushing the passer which killed us on the last TD he threw to Donald Driver, for just one of many examples. Rodgers had all day! If we rush the passer more, our secondary would not have glaring weaknesses. Perry Fool does not seem to understand that if you dont give the QB time to pick us apart he usually won't. Does not understand playing to your strengths (which is rushing the passer). Does not grasp that playing to "protect" against the big play does not work as well as playing to make the big play. This guy is terrible!!!</p>

Fewell played with fire last night and got burned.

And since we can't get it done with 3 men, pretty soon I guess we'll see it reduced down to 2.

PIERCEnumber58rules
12-05-2011, 09:38 AM
I'm not going to take away the one packer TD 'cuz it was close, and I can see how and why it wasn't overturned. But I do give tons of credit to our defense. When you play the packers, you need to redefine what "good" means. Holding them to 31 points is good. The only way to beat them is to outscore them and force them to punt 3-4 times. Our D held them a few times. We just couldn't outscore them. The pick six was absolutely huge. Take that away, and it's a 35-31 G-MEN victory. Sucks we came out on the wrong end again. Getting tired of this feeling, but I thank the G's for playing a hard game and showing some pride.

ryan12
12-05-2011, 09:39 AM
i think the d played the best since the pats game.. however that last drive was ****ty. however on that floater to nelson there were 2 defenders in his face.. jpp and someone else were inches from knocking that ball down or sacking rogers. that bs call on that sack 3 and 11 KILLED US

Ruttiger711
12-05-2011, 09:46 AM
Come on people if we're going to "take away" the pick 6 then do the same for Rodger's pick which led to a score. The score differential is the same.

Redeyejedi
12-05-2011, 09:53 AM
Yeah, but I mean a rookie LB took a shot and almost made a great play. Not like Williams knew what Rogers was thinking. Then Rogers hit Nelson and he beat a guy that they just got on the team.Im a little peeved about people ripping on Jacquain Williams.I think they will be eating there words about him in a year or 2.The kid is immensely talented.The Giants are asking a lot of him this season.I dont think people fully appreciatethe difficulty ofsingling up TE's like Graham and Finley. He has the hips to stick with these athletic TE's but he doesnt have the speed of the game down yet.I dont know how u cant look at him and not see the promise.

PIERCEnumber58rules
12-05-2011, 09:55 AM
Yeah, but I mean a rookie LB took a shot and almost made a great play. Not like Williams knew what Rogers was thinking. Then Rogers hit Nelson and he beat a guy that they just got on the team.Im a little peeved about people ripping on Jacquain Williams.I think they will be eating there words about him in a year or 2.The kid is immensely talented.The Giants are asking a lot of him this season.*I dont think people fully appreciate*the difficulty of*singling *up TE's like Graham and Finley. He has the hips to stick with these athletic TE's* but he doesnt have the speed of the game down yet.I dont know how u cant look at him and not see the promise.

+1. I expect Williams to be a beast in a year or two! He's def. got a lot of potential.

Redeyejedi
12-05-2011, 09:57 AM
The Green Bay Packers are the highest scoring offense in the NFL. They have a QB who is playing a season better than maybe even Brady did in 2007. They didn't give up 7 on the interception, and the refs blew the call on that 1 Green Bay TD. Now they where in field goal range so I'll put 3 on the defense, but 4 on the refs. So that's 27 points I put on the defense. Against that team with all the people they have out I think the defense played well. The last drive was tough, but a minute left for a QB that is changing the game against a tired defense with rookies and guys just signed was not the best place for them to be in. I'm not putting all the blame on the offense, but when you play a team like Green Bay you can have 0 mistakes and you have to take advantage of when the defense did force a punt which they did do tonight. I hope next week if the defense forces punts the offense turns them into TD's.</P>

The defense did do better...however, Fewell still did not commit to rushing the passer which killed us on the last TD he threw to Donald Driver, for just one of many examples. Rodgers had all day! If we rush the passer more, our secondary would not have glaring weaknesses. Perry Fool does not seem to understand that if you dont give the QB time to pick us apart he usually won't. Does not understand playing to your strengths (which is rushing the passer). Does not grasp that playing to "protect" against the big play does not work as well as playing to make the big play. This guy is terrible!!!</P>

Fewell played with fire last night and got burned.

And since we can't get it done with 3 men, pretty soon I guess we'll see it reduced down to 2.
So whats your theory when they rushed 5 on the last drive and they went down the field in 58 seconds

gumby742
12-05-2011, 09:59 AM
Our defense only played well the first half. We got a turnover and had a few good stops and hit Rogers. 2nd half we got tentative and they moved the ball at will. Overall I'd say we played ... meh. However, we play hard and that's all I can ask for.</P>

Fewell needs to go because when we're aggressive it's obvious we're a better defense. Rushing 3 hasn't worked for 11 games, why on earth does he think it's going to work for 12?</P>

buddy33
12-05-2011, 10:01 AM
Yeah, but I mean a rookie LB took a shot and almost made a great play. Not like Williams knew what Rogers was thinking. Then Rogers hit Nelson and he beat a guy that they just got on the team.Im a little peeved about people ripping on Jacquain Williams.I think they will be eating there words about him in a year or 2.The kid is immensely talented.The Giants are asking a lot of him this season.*I dont think people fully appreciate*the difficulty of*singling *up TE's like Graham and Finley. He has the hips to stick with these athletic TE's* but he doesnt have the speed of the game down yet.I dont know how u cant look at him and not see the promise.

I agree. I mean he almost made a great play. I stinks they lost, but he tried to win the game there.

About the pick 6, I'm not saying that Eli's lost the game because Rogers threw a pick that ended up as a score for the Giants. My point is everyone is ripping the defense for giving up 38 points and all I'm saying is that they gave up 31 and 4 of those where a gift from the refs. Green Bay should have had a field goal and not a TD.

buddy33
12-05-2011, 10:04 AM
Our defense only played well the first half.* We got a turnover and had a few good stops and hit Rogers.* 2nd half we got tentative and they moved the ball at will.* Overall I'd say we played ... meh.* However, we play hard and that's all I can ask for.</P>

Fewell needs to go because when we're aggressive it's obvious we're a better defense.* Rushing 3 hasn't worked for 11 games, why on earth does he think it's going to work for 12?</P>

I think the offense was very good yesterday but there was a time in the game I think they needed to take advantage of. When the Giants made it a 1 point game, 28-27, the defense held and forced a punt. I think that is where the offense needed to take advantage and take the lead. This way if the defense gives the lead up they still have time to win with the ball last.

That was a game where the last offense on the field was going to win.

Drez
12-05-2011, 10:26 AM
The Green Bay Packers are the highest scoring offense in the NFL. They have a QB who is playing a season better than maybe even Brady did in 2007. They didn't give up 7 on the interception, and the refs blew the call on that 1 Green Bay TD. Now they where in field goal range so I'll put 3 on the defense, but 4 on the refs. So that's 27 points I put on the defense. Against that team with all the people they have out I think the defense played well. The last drive was tough, but a minute left for a QB that is changing the game against a tired defense with rookies and guys just signed was not the best place for them to be in. I'm not putting all the blame on the offense, but when you play a team like Green Bay you can have 0 mistakes and you have to take advantage of when the defense did force a punt which they did do tonight. I hope next week if the defense forces punts the offense turns them into TD's. In the game day thread, with the Giants up 17-14 midway through the 2nd - Green Bay was driving and you had said if we lose this game ,it's on the offense. So youre taking 11 points of the board for the D - that's generous to say the least. Yeah, that is right. When you have your defense force the #1 offense to punt 3 times and get a TO in the 1st half its on the offense for not putting up enough points against one of the worse defenses in the league. The game was not lost on that last drive alone. Do you dispute those 11 points? How could you? You know that was a bad call and 7 where off the pick.</P>

You are completely and totally ridiculous. </P>

Yes, the penalties and bad calls hurt us, but the defense has to hold in the last :58.</P>

You can look at any close game and point to any number of things and say if this went that way or this went that way we could have won.</P>

But, here is an indisputable fact. Score tied with :58 left on the clock. GB goes 68 yards in 4 plays for a gimme FG. </P>

The defense has to show up in that spot.</P>

Drez
12-05-2011, 10:29 AM
Yeah, but I mean a rookie LB took a shot and almost made a great play. Not like Williams knew what Rogers was thinking. Then Rogers hit Nelson and he beat a guy that they just got on the team.Im a little peeved about people ripping on Jacquain Williams.I think they will be eating there words about him in a year or 2.The kid is immensely talented.The Giants are asking a lot of him this season.I dont think people fully appreciatethe difficulty ofsingling up TE's like Graham and Finley. He has the hips to stick with these athletic TE's but he doesnt have the speed of the game down yet.I dont know how u cant look at him and not see the promise. I agree. I mean he almost made a great play. I stinks they lost, but he tried to win the game there. About the pick 6, I'm not saying that Eli's lost the game because Rogers threw a pick that ended up as a score for the Giants. My point is everyone is ripping the defense for giving up 38 points and all I'm saying is that they gave up 31 and 4 of those where a gift from the refs. Green Bay should have had a field goal and not a TD.</P>

People aren't ripping the defense for giving up 38 points. People are ripping the defense for allowing GB to go 68 yards in 4 plays with only 58 seconds left on the clock.</P>

Mr Excitement
12-05-2011, 10:32 AM
The Packers made adjustments at halftime....if not for all of those drops it wouldnt have been close...just my 2 cents. Bottom line is...the O and the D didnt play a complete game.

Tommy_Ribs
12-05-2011, 10:37 AM
It is weird because of what the Scoreboard read (38-35), but I thought the Defense put forth a very good effort.

Aaron Rodgers worked very hard for what he got.

The Packers are a great team, but they are beatable.

buddy33
12-05-2011, 10:39 AM
It is weird because of what the Scoreboard read (38-35), but I thought the Defense put forth a very good effort.

Agreed. There where some horrible penalties called against the Giants defense and that TD call was disgusting.

They where in a tough spot at the end of the game. Things could have been done earlier to help them is a I'm saying.

buddy33
12-05-2011, 10:42 AM
The Packers made adjustments at halftime....if not for all of those drops it wouldnt have been close...just my 2 cents. Bottom line is...the O and the D didnt play a complete game.

Eh, both offenses moved the ball at will but I agree that both the O and D didn't play a complete game.

The difference between the Giants and teams like the Patriots, Saints, and Green Bay is that those teams offense score more points when their defenses do make stops. They all have defenses that give up points and yards, but the Giants offense just needs to get more points when the defense does make a stop.

burier
12-05-2011, 10:46 AM
The defense did OK but not when it counted which is now officially a trend. Eli has had to bail the defense out in nearly every game we've played this season.

We've got 6 losses and 5 of those are on the defense.

They dont show up in clutch situations.

Mr Excitement
12-05-2011, 10:48 AM

Eh, both offenses moved the ball at will but I agree that both the O and D didn't play a complete game.

The difference between the Giants and teams like the Patriots, Saints, and Green Bay is that those teams offense score more points when their defenses do make stops. They all have defenses that give up points and yards, but the Giants offense just needs to get more points when the defense does make a stop.

I agree...but its very rare the D makes a stop....LOL

Drez
12-05-2011, 10:49 AM

</P>

Other than the last drive, and a couple other spots (blown coverages, etc.) I tend to agree. </P>

Unfortunately, that last drive screwed us.</P>

JMFP2
12-05-2011, 10:49 AM

I agree....the defense did as best as the Giants could have hoped for.</P>

Fewell had to mix it up, and he did. This wasn't a game of pitch and catch like last week.....Rodgers was throwing through very small windows, and his receivers were planting an inch from the sideline. </P>

And then, the Packers also had the refs to help them out, which must be nice.</P>

But in the end, too much talent on the field for the Packers, and too thin in the secondary for the Giants......Blackmon was the weak link, and Rodgers found it.</P>

Packers are on a 17 game win streak for a reason. Giants came the closest to knocking them off. </P>

I'm getting 2007 Flashbacks... Giants have to believe they can hang with anyone if they give 100%.</P>

And JPP is a machine. Best DE in the NFL right now, IMHO.</P>

Drez
12-05-2011, 10:51 AM
Eh, both offenses moved the ball at will but I agree that both the O and D didn't play a complete game. The difference between the Giants and teams like the Patriots, Saints, and Green Bay is that those teams offense score more points when their defenses do make stops. They all have defenses that give up points and yards, but the Giants offense just needs to get more points when the defense does make a stop.

</P>

Seems that way lately, eh?</P>

burier
12-05-2011, 10:53 AM

I agree....the defense did as best as the Giants could have hoped for.</P>

Fewell had to mix it up, and he did.* This wasn't a game of pitch and catch like last week.....Rodgers was throwing through very small windows, and his receivers were planting an inch from the sideline.* </P>

And then, the Packers also had the refs to help them out, which must be nice.</P>

But in the end, too much talent on the field for the Packers, and too thin in the secondary for the Giants......Blackmon was the weak link, and Rodgers found it.</P>

Packers are on a 17 game win streak for a reason.* Giants came the closest to knocking them off.* </P>

I'm getting 2007 Flashbacks... Giants have to believe they can hang with anyone if they give 100%.</P>

And JPP is a machine.* Best DE in the NFL right now, IMHO.</P>

JPP puts Justin Tuck to shame

buddy33
12-05-2011, 10:55 AM

Yeah, I'd like to see them make more stops, but I'd also like to see them have back a bunch of starters. They didn't make them punt 3 times in the 1st half. Like I said before, when the Giants made it 28-27, the defense they held and forced a punt. That was a time where the offense needed to take over and get the lead. Even if the defense gives it back the Giants offense would finish the game with the ball for the win perhaps.

Not really playing a blame game here, just saying both units need to help eachother.

buddy33
12-05-2011, 10:58 AM
Eh, both offenses moved the ball at will but I agree that both the O and D didn't play a complete game. The difference between the Giants and teams like the Patriots, Saints, and Green Bay is that those teams offense score more points when their defenses do make stops. They all have defenses that give up points and yards, but the Giants offense just needs to get more points when the defense does make a stop.

</P>

Against two of the best offenses with a banged up defense they have had a hard time the last two games.

They should have. Eat the Eagles which was the more important game and the offense did not show up.

ELI_Iz_God
12-05-2011, 11:13 AM

If JPP wasn't in that game we woulda got killed

Mr Excitement
12-05-2011, 11:38 AM

Yeah, I'd like to see them make more stops, but I'd also like to see them have back a bunch of starters. They didn't make them punt 3 times in the 1st half. Like I said before, when the Giants made it 28-27, the defense they held and forced a punt. That was a time where the offense needed to take over and get the lead. Even if the defense gives it back the Giants offense would finish the game with the ball for the win perhaps.

Not really playing a blame game here, just saying both units need to help eachother.

You're right they def need to help each other.

RoanokeFan
12-05-2011, 11:50 AM

It's hard to fault Blackmon who was just signed and had never played safety before. But how in the world does Amukamara take himself out of the game at that point for "fatigue"?

Now I see what TC was talking about Prince's being able to play 50 - 55 snaps when we were wondering when he'd get playing time..

LT_was_good
12-05-2011, 11:53 AM
The D held Rodgers to his lowest QB rating of the season (and first time under 110). Has to count for something. They didn't really have an answer for his roll-outs to the right. I was almost hoping they'd try something like they did last year with Vick, blitzing a guy from his roll-out side. A healthy Tuck would have helped contain that as well. I also felt like Rodgers just picked apart whatever scheme we tried. He'd find the soft spot in the zone, and he'd scramble against man (or find the weak link like on the last drive).

This isn't the week to try and play the "offense or defense" blame game, in my opinion. Both made some big plays, both made some mistakes, neither were perfect and they had to be to beat Green Bay.

RoanokeFan
12-05-2011, 11:57 AM
The D held Rodgers to his lowest QB rating of the season (and first time under 110). Has to count for something. They didn't really have an answer for his roll-outs to the right. I was almost hoping they'd try something like they did last year with Vick, blitzing a guy from his roll-out side. A healthy Tuck would have helped contain that as well. I also felt like Rodgers just picked apart whatever scheme we tried. He'd find the soft spot in the zone, and he'd scramble against man (or find the weak link like on the last drive).

This isn't the week to try and play the "offense or defense" blame game, in my opinion. Both made some big plays, both made some mistakes, neither were perfect and they had to be to beat Green Bay.

We played well enough to sweep the next four games. Play with yesterday's intensity, and we have the Division wrapped up!

Ruttiger711
12-05-2011, 12:13 PM

</P>

</P>

I think some of the drops that were in his receivers hands had something to do with his rating being lower as well. What was the final count? 6 dropped passes? and these weren't circus grabs like Nelson was making. </P>

Drez
12-05-2011, 12:21 PM

</P>

Against two of the best offenses with a banged up defense they have had a hard time the last two games. They should have. Eat the Eagles which was the more important game and the offense did not show up.</P>

It's not like the offense hasn't been banged up, either. I think yesterday was the 6th different OL configurationwe've started this season. Plus, it seems either one of our starting 3 WRs or RBs are out every week (sometimes both).</P>

We scored a ton of points. 35 should always be enough to win a game. </P>

Also, we only had two 3 and outs last night, and the one in the 4th we got screwed by the no call on Shields' holding/PI on Nicks on that deep throw.</P>

What it boils down to, at least for me, is the defense, no matter how beaten up, has to hold with under 1 minute left. Even on the play before the FG. Make a play there and force a long FG, something close to being missable... Don't give up another 20 yards for a chip shot.</P>

In a game where both sides dropped the ball on a couple of occasions, it was the last defensive failure that proved most disasterous.</P>

Drez
12-05-2011, 12:23 PM

We played well enough to sweep the next four games. Play with yesterday's intensity, and we have the Division wrapped up!
</P>

Agreed. I said something to a similar effect last night in a thread. If we can come with the same intensity over our last 4 games, we will sweep, be 10-6, and win the division. </P>

Once in the playoffs, all bets are off.</P>

RoanokeFan
12-05-2011, 12:25 PM

</p>

Agreed. I said something to a similar effect last night in a thread. If we can come with the same intensity over our last 4 games, we will sweep, be 10-6, and win the division. </p>

Once in the playoffs, all bets are off.</p>

+1 Let's get there and then worry lol

burier
12-05-2011, 12:26 PM
The D held Rodgers to his lowest QB rating of the season (and first time under 110).* Has to count for something.* They didn't really have an answer for his roll-outs to the right.* I was almost hoping they'd try something like they did last year with Vick, blitzing a guy from his roll-out side.* A healthy Tuck would have helped contain that as well.* I also felt like Rodgers just picked apart whatever scheme we tried.* He'd find the soft spot in the zone, and he'd scramble against man (or find the weak link like on the last drive).

* This isn't the week to try and play the "offense or defense" blame game, in my opinion.* Both made some big plays, both made some mistakes, neither were perfect and they had to be to beat Green Bay.

honestly it looked to me like Green Bay's recievers held Rogers to his lowest passer rating of the season.

That said we did play OK and show the ability to get to 10 wins this season.

Drez
12-05-2011, 12:38 PM

</P>

Agreed. I said something to a similar effect last night in a thread. If we can come with the same intensity over our last 4 games, we will sweep, be 10-6, and win the division. </P>

Once in the playoffs, all bets are off.</P>

+1 Let's get there and then worry lol
</P>

We will get there!!</P>

Kase-1
12-05-2011, 12:50 PM
Now im one of the biggest haters of our guys playing zone, but at times last night it was run properly and suprisingly we held AR in check (lowest QB rating this year, and 2 questionable tds). One of the rules of thumb that I go by is that excellent QBs (like Brees, AR, Brady, Peyton) tend to pick apart and tear up zone defense, but we didnt do that bad with it last night

That said, lets not play too much zone, it scares me, LOL

thegreatone
12-05-2011, 12:51 PM

It's hard to fault Blackmon who was just signed and had never played safety before.* But how in the world does Amukamara take himself out of the game at that point for "fatigue"?

Now I see what TC was talking about Prince's being able to play 50 - 55 snaps when we were wondering when he'd get playing time..
it like I said in another thread awhile back PA is just entering the beginning of the season conditioning wise. If we can get to the playoffs I think he'll be up to par while other wrs will be on the downslope having played a full season

buddy33
12-05-2011, 02:52 PM

</P>

Against two of the best offenses with a banged up defense they have had a hard time the last two games. They should have. Eat the Eagles which was the more important game and the offense did not show up.</P>

It's not like the offense hasn't been banged up, either. I think yesterday was the 6th different OL configuration*we've started this season. Plus, it seems either one of our starting 3 WRs or RBs are out every week (sometimes both).</P>

We scored a ton of points. 35 should always be enough to win a game. </P>

Also, we only had two 3 and outs last night, and the one in the 4th we got screwed by the no call on Shields' holding/PI on Nicks on that deep throw.</P>

What it boils down to, at least for me, is the defense, no matter how beaten up, has to hold with under 1 minute left. Even on the play before the FG. Make a play there and force a long FG, something close to being missable... Don't give up another 20 yards for a chip shot.</P>

In a game where both sides dropped the ball on a couple of occasions, it was the last defensive failure that proved most disasterous.</P>

Lol. You want to talk about injuries and then say the defense was bad? The guy Nelson beat yesterday was sitting at his house two weeks ago. The other guy that almost made a huge play is a rookie playing because they lost their starting MLB.

If you are going to use injuries as an excuse please don't try to compare the defense and offense. The defense has way more problems in the injury department than the offense including losing their Safety during the game.