PDA

View Full Version : Eli vs Marino - Yea I went there.

DragonSoul
02-08-2012, 01:59 PM
First I will say that I do believe Eli (if he stays healthy) will be in the HOF. I also agree he still needs to do more (needs a large sample size 2-3 more years, or 1 more SB next year will get him in if he retires lol)

I also do agree the game is a bit more pass friendly, but just look at the numbers. And no I am not saying one is better then the other.

Marino was in a very pass happy offense for nearly all of his career. So while he was putting up yards it shouldn't be as surprising. The league in the last decade started heading that way with Peyton leading the way, then Brady, and Brees.

So lets look a bit into Marinos numbers...

Marino had 3 season of 600+ passing attempts
He had 8 seasons of 500+ passing attempts
Plus some mid 400+ passing attempts, and a few injured years.

With all that said he had four 4,000 yard seasons with his best in his second year with the 5,000 yard setting year.

Ints during the start of his career (he only had a great 2nd year season and never repeated it) -
1989 - 22
1988 - 23
1987 - 13
1986- 23
1985- 21
1984 - 17 (his career year)

In his 8th season the ints stayed between 13-17 on average, and in 17 years he finished with 0 SBs

-JustSaying-

ny06
02-08-2012, 02:16 PM
Dan Marino is one of the best qb's that have ever played this game. He doesn't get alot of talk because qb's are judged by super bowls. </P>

Let's also factor the Dolphins never had a running game to compliment Marino, pretty much every defense knew it was Marino and the passing game. </P>

I love Eli, and I feel when it's all said and done he will be a hall of famer. But he has alot of work to do to be in the same discussion as Marino. </P>

</P>

JJC7301
02-08-2012, 02:20 PM
Dan Marino is one of the best qb's that have ever played this game. He doesn't get alot of talk because qb's are judged by super bowls. </P>

Let's also factor the Dolphins never had a running game to compliment Marino, pretty much every defense knew it was Marino and the passing game. </P>

I love Eli, and I feel when it's all said and done he will be a hall of famer. But he has alot of work to do to be in the same discussion as Marino. </P>

</P>

</P>

+1 on everything. No knock against Eli because if he keeps playing this way, he's going to the HOF. However, another thing to consider is that Marino played in an era that was not as QB-friendly as today's. And besides not having a running game, he didn't have many very good D's in Miami to help him out. He had some very good ones, but not great and certainly not by the last few years of his career.</P>

Personally, I think Marino is the best QB to have ever played. Period.</P>

giantsfan420
02-08-2012, 02:23 PM

*</P>

but it seems people penalize eli bc we DO have a run game, or at least HAD a run game.

this year, our run game was dead last. is it really any surprise eli had a year similar to marinos career year?

ask marino if he'd trade some of those yards he passed for for a run game and a trophy, he'd take lesser stats and a trophy. thats what eli does. he doesnt care for stats, he cares bout doing his job the best he can and winning championships for the giants.

its nice to know that if we need, we can rely solely on eli's arm...and we truly truly did this year until late in the season. as coughlin said "eli put this team on his shoulders many many times this season..." and it led to a SB and SB MVP.

we got an all time great. the scary part: HE IS STILL GETTING BETTER. now that we have wr's who wont shoot themselves literally shoot themselves, skys the limit...i truly believe when all is said and done, eli will be considered by many to be one of the greatest qbs to ever play the game

TheEnigma
02-08-2012, 02:24 PM
Eli needs to have more seasons like this year and 09 before this discussion can happen.

Until then...

http://29.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_kw5wafVbFO1qzftyro1_250.gif

BlueSanta
02-08-2012, 02:32 PM
I love me some Eli...

But, I would be afraid to see what Marino would do to the league with today's rules. It would be ugly. He would make drew Breeze look a guy who "manages games."

bflo23
02-08-2012, 02:38 PM
There are 3 parts to look at when judging a QB.

33%= regular season stats and W/L
33%= post season stats and W/L
33%= championships

And that is why Joe Montana is clearly the best QB in history because he fulfills all 3. Regular season production only gets you a ticket to punch in the playoffs..... It is the playoffs that separate the men from the boys. It is the playoffs that people remember. People don't say "Oh remember how great that game was in week 4!".

Giants10EM
02-08-2012, 02:49 PM

33%= championships

And that is why Joe Montana is clearly the best QB in history because he fulfills all 3. Regular season production only gets you a ticket to punch in the playoffs..... It is the playoffs that separate the men from the boys. It is the playoffs that people remember. People don't say "Oh remember how great that game was in week 4!".

So then Eli is pretty much a hall of famer.

Regular season: Above average stats to great stats since 08. Meh pre 08. W/L one of the best in the league.

Post season: Indisputably great stats. W/L 8-3

Championships: 2 SB wins, 2 SB MVPs, great stats.

There is no debate. People are just still blinded. Why the *** does everyone thing big Ben is a lock for the HOF and Eli isn't. Eli has contributed far more to the Giants success than Ben has to the Steelers...

simms56
02-08-2012, 03:38 PM
If Dan Marino were playing with today's rules he would be Brady with more accuracy and a bigger play arm. In my opinion he is the best pocket passer to ever play the game.

simms56
02-08-2012, 03:39 PM

33%= championships

So then Eli is pretty much a hall of famer.

Regular season: Above average stats to great stats since 08. Meh pre 08. W/L one of the best in the league.

Post season: Indisputably great stats. W/L 8-3

Championships: 2 SB wins, 2 SB MVPs, great stats.

There is no debate. People are just still blinded. Why the *** does everyone thing big Ben is a lock for the HOF and Eli isn't. Eli has contributed far more to the Giants success than Ben has to the Steelers...

Not to mention that Big Ben was horrible in their first SB, a game in which the refs won it for the Steelers.

Hostetler
02-08-2012, 05:02 PM
Dan Marino, hands down , the best pocket QB ever. Period. Remember, Football is a TEAM sport. Montana had some really good weapons plus a top notch defense, Everyone forgets the 49'er defense because of the Bears and Giants during that time period. Marino had a decent pass protection o'line, the marks brothers, and nothing else in an era where killing the QB, No such thing as a defenseless reciever, and nobody ever heard of the tuck rule and still put up amazing numbers, so amazing that only the best of the best in todays game are putting up those numbers

Kruunch
02-08-2012, 05:12 PM
Marino is almost by himself in the HoF simply because he's there on everything BUT SB accolades.

He was a perennial Pro Bowler and All-Pro (9 and 8 times respectively), NFL MVP and retired as the most winningest QB in history (since passed by Elway and Favre).

The SB is pretty much the only accolade he doesn't have.

Even so, Marino is easily in the conversation of Top 5 QBs of all time. If you've ever seen him play, it's not even a debate (basically he was Peyton Manning before Peyton Manning).

You want to know why he never got back (or won) a Super Bowl? In 17 seasons, his team only had a 1,000+ rusher ONCE.

THE_New_York_Giants
02-08-2012, 05:13 PM
Marino is almost by himself in the HoF simply because he's there on everything BUT SB accolades.

He was a perennial Pro Bowler and All-Pro (9 and 8 times respectively), NFL MVP and retired as the most winningest QB in history (since passed by Elway and Favre).

The SB is pretty much the only accolade he doesn't have.

Even so, Marino is easily in the conversation of Top 5 QBs of all time. If you've ever seen him play, it's not even a debate (basically he was Peyton Manning before Peyton Manning).

You want to know why he never got back (or won) a Super Bowl? In 17 seasons, his team only had a 1,000+ rusher ONCE.
we didn't have a 1000 yard rusher this year. In fact, our rush game was ranked 32..