PDA

View Full Version : so will giants rip up jpp's contract?

jppmvp90
02-08-2012, 03:02 PM
Francesa mentioned that he may demand a new deal betetr to do it now than later

freeoscar
02-08-2012, 03:05 PM
i don't think he's demanding a new deal. the idea is to do it before it even becomes an issue. I think they should do it b/c there is no issue as to his worth. of course, i don't fully know the cap issues, etc. but in theory i like it.

Kruunch
02-08-2012, 03:05 PM
I'm sure that the Maras will throw him the 7 year $40+ million dollar long term deal they like to use (ala Osi and Tuck).

CDN_G-FAN
02-08-2012, 03:10 PM
Francesa mentioned that he may demand a new deal betetr to do it now than later</P>

have you seen the cap hits in some of our existing deals for this year?</P>

there's a thread on that subject.</P>

Rolle is $9mm, Canty is almost $8mm, Jacobs is almost $7, Webby is $7, Snee is $7, Diehl is $5.</P>

I don't know if we've got enough cap space to sign the guys that are FAs this year, nevermind signing guys who are still under contract.</P>

BillTheGreek
02-08-2012, 03:16 PM
It's only Money....................Show him the Money,
Show him the Money,

GameTime
02-08-2012, 03:18 PM
It's only Money....................Show him the Money, Show him the Money,</P>

but its the NFL and its "not" only money. The Cap has to be adhered to....</P>

</P>

CDN_G-FAN
02-08-2012, 03:27 PM

</P>

</P>

right.</P>

or you 'run out of money' while you're 'showing guys the money'.</P>

PS: I hate that "its only money" mantra from fans in the NFL.</P>

Cue the "well, that up to reese to figure out how to make it fit, just pay everyone everything they want........" comments coming up.</P>

</P>

freeoscar
02-08-2012, 03:33 PM
Francesa mentioned that he may demand a new deal betetr to do it now than later</P>

have you seen the cap hits in some of our existing deals for this year?</P>

there's a thread on that subject.</P>

Rolle is $9mm, Canty is almost $8mm, Jacobs is almost $7, Webby is $7, Snee is $7, Diehl is $5.</P>

every single one of those guys is replacable (not saying I want them replaced, but u can spend that money and get equal talent). JPP is not. There isn't one DE out there I'd rather have (given current talent, age, potential, ethic) than him.

I don't know if we've got enough cap space to sign the guys that are FAs this year, nevermind signing guys who are still under contract.</P>

SweetZombieJesus
02-08-2012, 04:01 PM
New contract NOW so you can lock him up at a bargain price

BillTheGreek
02-08-2012, 04:08 PM

*</P>

</P>

right.</P>

or you 'run out of money' while you're 'showing guys the money'.</P>

PS:* I hate that "its only money" mantra from fans in the NFL.</P>

Cue the "well, that up to reese to figure out how to make it fit, just pay everyone everything they want........"* comments coming up.</P>

*</P>

YOU want Super Bowl Wins ? you are going to have to pay Top Dollar for the best Players or they move on. Then you wind up like the Browns.

mantra - the definition you can understand
A mantra is a repeated word or phrase, prayer or chant. (noun). An example of a mantra is a team saying "We will win" over and over again.

gmen0820
02-08-2012, 04:14 PM
Rolle is $9mm, Canty is almost $8mm, Jacobs is almost $7, Webby is $7, Snee is $7, Diehl is $5.And you know, with possibly the exception being Diehl and Jacobs, they aren't cutting their salaries. For some it would be their second time in as many years.

BillTheGreek
02-08-2012, 04:15 PM

*</P>
True you have the Caps, However ,You watch what a deal he gets, He's young he's Good, and the Giants know it .And the Fans Love Him !

CDN_G-FAN
02-08-2012, 04:17 PM
Rolle is $9mm, Canty is almost $8mm, Jacobs is almost $7, Webby is $7, Snee is $7, Diehl is $5.And you know, with possibly the exception being Diehl and Jacobs, they aren't cutting their salaries. For some it would be their second time in as many years.

Yep.

i said it in another thread.

looking at some of those numbers, this feels like the Bucs back in the day.

Hope we're not a completely different roster this time next year.</P>

TrueBlue@NYC
02-08-2012, 04:19 PM

</P>

True you have the Caps, However ,You watch what a deal he gets, He's young he's Good, and the Giants know it .And the Fans Love Him !</P>

Good teams, stay good by getting good contract/talent value. It's also the reason why you sign your top picks for 5 years, so you get a couple of good years out of them without having to pay top dollar. </P>

JPP's contract is fine for this season, he's still making 1st round pick money and he's signed for at least two more seasons. </P>

It's the guys that aren't under contract and those in their last year that you have to figure things out with. </P>

burier
02-08-2012, 04:24 PM
but seriously we need to give JPP a new contract...even if we can't really afford it.

He's outplaying his rookie contract so that contract is no longer sufficient. Just like teams ask players to take pay-cuts when they're not playing up to snuff.

There are guys on the team that should take a pay cut and JPP is not one of them.

TrueBlue@NYC
02-08-2012, 04:24 PM

Yep.

i said it in another thread.

looking at some of those numbers, this feels like the Bucs back in the day.

Hope we're not a completely different roster this time next year.</P>

</P>

Don't think that'll happen, we've still got alot of our core talent tied up. Making good decisions after a SB win is how you are able to keep the team competitive enough to get back there, not just the next season, but for a number of years afterward. </P>

They'll also have to address Cantys' contract in some way. But remember, they were very frugal in their contract last season, so that should help to bear some fruit this season. </P>

They'll likely cut Jacobs. You simply can't pay that much to a RB, especially one that's not starting and plays at the easiest position to find new talent in. </P>

BillTheGreek
02-08-2012, 04:32 PM
but seriously we need to give JPP a new contract...even if we can't really afford it.

He's outplaying his rookie contract so that contract is no longer sufficient. Just like teams ask players to take pay-cuts when they're not playing up to snuff.

There are guys on the team that should take a pay cut and JPP is not one of them.

No Truer words ever Spoken.

BillTheGreek
02-08-2012, 04:53 PM

*</P>

True you have the Caps, However ,You watch what a deal he gets, He's young he's Good, and the Giants know it .And the Fans Love Him !</P>

Good teams, stay good by getting good contract/talent value. It's also the reason why you sign your top picks for 5 years, so you get a couple of good years out of them without having to pay top dollar. </P>

JPP's contract is fine for this season, he's still making 1st round pick money and he's signed for at least two more seasons. </P>

It's the guys that aren't under contract and those in their last year that you have to figure things out with. </P>

It's sad that the Giants have to let some guys go, we all have an Idea who they are......... But it's not our Decision thank God !

GfieldGmen
02-08-2012, 05:14 PM
http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-york-giants/yearly/

Canty was very good for us this season and playoffs but he is getting more money then Osi, Tuck, JPP, and Kiwi. He needs to be restructured.

Diehl might get cut or restructured.

Jacobs needs to be restructured if he is not let go.

Osi will most likely get traded unless he is willing to take a short term contract with a pay hike.

Tuck needs to be reconstructed with a pay hike.

JPP, Nicks, Cruz should both get small raises for now which will hopefully make them willing to ask for a little less later.

THE_New_York_Giants
02-08-2012, 05:17 PM

Maybe players should learn to honor their contracts....

TrueBlue@NYC
02-08-2012, 05:46 PM

</P>

It's sad that the Giants have to let some guys go, we all have an Idea who they are......... But it's not our Decision thank God !</P>

Yep, but we've been through this before. We went through it after 2007 when guys like Mitchell and Wilson were free agents and we had a disgruntled Shockey. Every year, your constantly re-evaluating and upgrading talent. </P>

bg79
02-08-2012, 07:00 PM
I don't get how fans of this team want our GM to make life even harder on himself by giving a guy already under contract for 1st rounder type money even more. This will only make this team less competitive as it takes away the most precious commodity, cap space. JPP is getting paid enough, if there is one players on the team that actually should get a raise it's Victor Cruz who isnt making 1st rounder money, he's making unsigned UFA money which is drastically less. And when I say he deserves a raise I don't mean making him one of the highest paid WR's, I just mean giving him maybe around 2 mill a year for the rest of his current deal. He can then cash in on the next contract he signs after that.

Right now we have a ton of seemingly dead weight in cap hits that are hurting us when it comes to getting actual good players in free agency. Adding a self imposed burden when it isnt necessary only makes that problem worse.

BillTheGreek
02-08-2012, 08:00 PM
Give him what he deserves