PDA

View Full Version : Never thought I'd say this: Ray Lewis is classier than Brady

freeoscar
02-08-2012, 02:26 PM
In the wake of Cundiff choking on the kick, and Evans dropping a perfectly thrown ball, Lewis was incredibly supportive of them. He's one of the greatest, most competitive players I've ever witnessed, it well could be the last chance he had for the SB, yet he never even slightly hinted at any blame on them.
contrast to Brady who lets Welker twist in the wind as the supposed goat with a halfhearted 'its a team game' crap. HE threw a terrible ball, HE gacked on the safety, HE panicked and threw up the jump ball that Blackburn intercepted. But he doesn't take an iota of blame on himself directly. (i'm not getting into the Giselle stuff - that's not his fault).

CDN_G-FAN
02-08-2012, 02:31 PM
i think you only caught a soundbite of the brady interview.</P>

he said that welker is an awesome athlete, that given the opportunity to run that play again he'd throw it to welker again, and he hopes that he's throwing passes like that to welker for a very very long time.</P>

what you caught was Brady's response to the question "did your recievers let you down today tom?"</P>

And you can thank the media for how they've communicated those answers.</P>

i have alot of respect for tom brady.</P>

bflo23
02-08-2012, 02:31 PM
Ray Lewis was 100% classy with his post game speech.

<font color="#0000FF">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGfx8VkSf20</font> (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGfx8VkSf20)

With Brady, he put the blame on Welker.

bflo23
02-08-2012, 02:33 PM
i think you only caught a soundbite of the brady interview.</p>

he said that welker is an awesome athlete, that given the opportunity to run that play again he'd throw it to welker again, and he hopes that he's throwing passes like that to welker for a very very long time.</p>

what you caught was Brady's response to the question "did your recievers let you down today tom?"</p>

And you can thank the media for how they've communicated those answers.</p>

i have alot of respect for tom brady.</p>

The thing with Brady is that he never admitted that it was bad pass. He just said that he would still throw it to him. Welker took some blame and Brady should at least admit that his throw was off.

galaxy10
02-08-2012, 02:34 PM
In the wake of Cundiff choking on the kick, and Evans dropping a perfectly thrown ball, Lewis was incredibly supportive of them. He's one of the greatest, most competitive players I've ever witnessed, it well could be the last chance he had for the SB, yet he never even slightly hinted at any blame on them.
contrast to Brady who lets Welker twist in the wind as the supposed goat with a halfhearted 'its a team game' crap. HE threw a terrible ball, HE gacked on the safety, HE panicked and threw up the jump ball that Blackburn intercepted. But he doesn't take an iota of blame on himself directly. (i'm not getting into the Giselle stuff - that's not his fault).

I really like Ray Lewis. Brady played a decent game. He had to adjust that throw to Welker because of the safety. I don't begrudge him for throwing the ball to the Gronk, 9 out of 10 he gets that ball. If you looked at the replay, he got no push off of his left ankle, that prevented him from getting enough height for the jump ball. If you are on the field, you make the play. I think that Brady throws that ball just like he did during the whole season. with all of that said, I think that he could have supported Welker better. The game was not lost because of Welker, it amazes me that people even entertain the idea.

GmenFan1980
02-08-2012, 02:37 PM

he said that welker is an awesome athlete, that given the opportunity to run that play again he'd throw it to welker again, and he hopes that he's throwing passes like that to welker for a very very long time.</P>

what you caught was Brady's response to the question "did your recievers let you down today tom?"</P>

+1 he was completely supportive of welker

CDN_G-FAN
02-08-2012, 02:38 PM

The thing with Brady is that he never admitted that it was bad pass. He just said that he would still throw it to him. Welker took some blame and Brady should at least admit that his throw was off.
</P>

he said more than 'he would still throw it to him'.</P>

The point is, he absolutely didn't throw welker under the bus. he did the exact opposite.</P>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLg8cq2xvFc</P>

</P>

freeoscar
02-08-2012, 02:39 PM
exactly. he never took the blame off welker, and it boggles me that people blame him for that. it was not a great throw by any means. it wasn't terrible either, but given the time he had, and that he's one of the top 10 QBs of all time, it was pretty poor. I just don't get why boston media/fans are all blaming welker and letting Tom off the hook. And why he is basically doing the same thing. As if there were ever any doubt that Welker is his best receiver, and one of the best in the game.

Ray Lewis had every right to be bitter and devastated, but he didn't let even an iota of that show through. I was surprised and impressed.

G-Man67
02-08-2012, 02:42 PM
ha, that was an inspiring speech by Ray, but did he come up with it before the lost or in case they lost ??, i mean proactive, yes, but a little bit defeatist as well

GmenFan1980
02-08-2012, 02:45 PM
Actually, thinking about this...How much class did you think ray lewis had before?

I have always found lewis to be similar to jacobs in how he speaks his mind and doesn't care what the media thinks of him

burier
02-08-2012, 03:34 PM

"That was a terrible pass. If Welker came down with that it would have been a remarkable catch. That one was on me"

--What Tom Brady Should have Said.

Instead he came off like he was supportingWelker and getting his back after a mistake.

I wouldn't go so far as to say he didn't show class but I'd say he showed that he might be a better leader when things or going well than he is during trials.

CDN_G-FAN
02-08-2012, 03:47 PM

"That was a terrible pass. If Welker came down with that it would have been a remarkable catch. That one was on me" --What Tom Brady Should have Said. Instead he came off like he was supportingWelker and getting his back after a mistake. I wouldn't go so far as to say he didn't show class but I'd say he showed that he might be a better leader when things or going well than he is during trials.</P>

it wasn't a good throw, but it certainly wasn't terrible. tom has to shoulder some of the blame, but he shouldn't have to come out and say its a terrible pass. it wouldn't have been a remarkable catch either. it hit welker in both hands, above his head, arms bent, without coverage breathing down his neck.</P>

If that's Ramses Barden, or Jake Ballard, i get why they don't make that play.</P>

But Welker has to come down with that throw. he's considered their possession receiver. those not great throws is why he's there.</P>

</P>

bflo23
02-08-2012, 03:50 PM
Welker said that he should have caught that bad pass but he also said the throw was bad. Brady never once admitted he threw a bad pass to Welker. Brady acts like it was bullet pass to Welker and it hit off his numbers. Why can't Brady admit it was a bad pass? It was more of a bad pass than a bad catch attempt.

Brady should have said "Welker usually makes that catch but I should have threw it better to him and hit him in stride. We just didn't connect."

Not the "That is my wide receiver. I will keep on throwing to him."

freeoscar
02-08-2012, 03:52 PM

"That was a terrible pass. If Welker came down with that it would have been a remarkable catch. That one was on me" --What Tom Brady Should have Said. Instead he came off like he was supportingWelker and getting his back after a mistake. I wouldn't go so far as to say he didn't show class but I'd say he showed that he might be a better leader when things or going well than he is during trials.</P>

it wasn't a good throw, but it certainly wasn't terrible. tom has to shoulder some of the blame, but he shouldn't have to come out and say its a terrible pass.* it wouldn't have been a remarkable catch either.* it hit welker in both hands, above his head, arms bent, without coverage breathing down his neck.</P>

If that's Ramses Barden, or Jake Ballard, i get why they don't make that play.</P>

But Welker has to come down with that throw. he's considered their possession receiver.* those not great throws is why he's there.</P>

*</P>

but that's what leaders do - they take the blame when things go wrong, and defer credit when things go right (b/c the press will always give them credit anyway). Brady did the wrong thing as a leader.
also, Welker catches 5yd slants that hit him in the numbers, and then runs. and he's incredible at that. better than anyone else in the league. but he's not a guy who is used to contorting his body for downfield catches. it was too difficult a catch for him.

NJGIANTinNC
02-08-2012, 03:53 PM
Well they have both killed before.

bflo23
02-08-2012, 03:57 PM
but that's what leaders do - they take the blame when things go wrong, and defer credit when things go right (b/c the press will always give them credit anyway). Brady did the wrong thing as a leader.
also, Welker catches 5yd slants that hit him in the numbers, and then runs. and he's incredible at that. better than anyone else in the league. but he's not a guy who is used to contorting his body for downfield catches. it was too difficult a catch for him.

There is a reason why Brady only throws for 25% on passes over 21 yards. We saw a good example from it on that bad pass to Welker. Brady is more of a dinker and dunker. We even saw the bad pass from Brady to Branch when he threw it slightly behind him and it was incomplete. Those were 2 huge pass attempts. Maybe 2 possible TD passes if he hits his receiver in stride.

Tebow 27% on passes over 21 yards...... Brees 50% and Rodgers 56%.

bflo23

There is a reason why Brady only throws for 25% on passes over 21 yards. We saw a good example from it on that bad pass to Welker. Brady is more of a dinker and dunker. We even saw the bad pass from Brady to Branch when he threw it slightly behind him and it was incomplete. Those were 2 huge pass attempts. Maybe 2 possible TD passes if he hits his receiver in stride.

Tebow 27% on passes over 21 yards...... Brees 50% and Rodgers 56%.

GameTime
If Welker caught that pass would it still have been a "poor throw"...</P>

I saw the post game. I though Brady was fine. I think Hernandez and Branch dropped easier passes.</P>

Brady said "they" meaning the team, left plays on the field and came up short.....</P>

</P>

</P>

JMFP2
02-08-2012, 04:01 PM

+1 he was completely supportive of welker</P>

+2</P>

Unless there's another clip I'm missing, Brady was totally classy....First, he give props to the Giants, and then at1:09 has answers the question about the Welker pass.</P>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nSa18rvVzI&amp;feature=related</P>

mainegiantsfan
02-08-2012, 04:03 PM
Bad pass. Period. Welker had to twist to catch the pass, Had he been led a little bit more he makes the catch 90% of the time. I agree that Tom should have admitted it was not a good pass.

bflo23
02-08-2012, 04:10 PM
If Welker caught that pass would it still have been a "poor throw"...</p>

I saw the post game. I though Brady was fine. I think Hernandez and Branch dropped easier passes.</p>

Brady said "they" meaning the team, left plays on the field and came up short.....</p>

</p>

</p>

If Welker caught the pass, it still would have been a poor throw but Pats would have been down around 20 yard line. Do you know the difference between hitting Welker with nice pass in stride and forcing Welker to jump, spin around and catch the ball on his opposite shoulder at full speed? The difference is an easy <font size="4">touchdown</font> for the Patriots. Phillips was a good 7 yards away from Welker and didn't have a good angle if it was a good throw.

JesseJames
02-08-2012, 04:23 PM

agreed, Brady was very supportive of Welker and I agree it was the media spinning things the way they want it to be instead of how it was really meant..thats one of the things I despise about the media in general, they always try to make things into what they aren't..as for Ray Lewis he has always had class in spite of what some people think and this league will be a little less classy when he retires...

freeoscar
02-08-2012, 04:30 PM

agreed, Brady was very supportive of Welker and I agree it was the media spinning things the way they want it to be instead of how it was really meant..thats one of the things I despise about the media in general, they always try to make things into what they aren't..as for Ray Lewis he has always had class in spite of what some people think and this league will be a little less classy when he retires...

but you've said it right there. by being 'supportive' of welker it implies that welker screwed up. "I'd still pass it to him again" implies that Welker screwed up. Brady screwed up as much or more than Welker but doesn't come out and and take any of the blame.
I was surprised b/c I'd always thought of Brady as classy. Maybe he's been around Bellicheck too long.

Drez
02-08-2012, 04:35 PM

</P>

It wasn't that bad of a pass. It wasn't a perfect pass, but it was far from a bad pass. Had Brady led Welker inside, Welker would still be getting scraped up off the turf in Indy.</P>

Drez
02-08-2012, 04:42 PM
If Welker caught that pass would it still have been a "poor throw"...</P>

I saw the post game. I though Brady was fine. I think Hernandez and Branch dropped easier passes.</P>

Brady said "they" meaning the team, left plays on the field and came up short.....</P>

</P>

</P>

If Welker caught the pass, it still would have been a poor throw but Pats would have been down around 20 yard line. Do you know the difference between hitting Welker with nice pass in stride and forcing Welker to jump, spin around and catch the ball on his opposite shoulder at full speed? The difference is an easy <FONT size=4>touchdown</FONT> for the Patriots. Phillips was a good 7 yards away from Welker and didn't have a good angle if it was a good throw.
</P>

There is no place Brady could have put that ball where that play would have ended up in a TD. Phillips was closing in, fast, from the inside. Had Brady led Welker towards the numbers, he would have ran Wes right into KP. Brady threw the ball where he needed to, back shoulder, but just put a little too much on it. Wasn't a great throw, but not a bad one either. It looked to me that Welker actually timed his jump poorly and otherwise adjusted to the pass rather poorly (i.e. not anticipating that Brady was going to have to go backshoulder to avoid running him right into KP). And despite all that, he still got both hands on it.</P>

BlueSanta
02-08-2012, 05:08 PM
This is really a silly argument tho on their part anyways. Lets say Welker does catch that. Who is to say on the next play our passrush doesnt force a bad throw like the 1 that Blackburn intercepted? Ever heard the rule never throw it late over the middle Pats fans? Tom did it 2 times in the game 1 ended in an INT and the other ended in a safety. So stop blaming Welker.

The point is even if that catch is made the Giants could have still won the game. It was 1 play in a game of many.

There is no use arguing "what ifs" in the game of football because they only add up to "what didnt."

bflo23
02-08-2012, 05:24 PM
<font color="#0000FF">http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/09000d5d826aedd4/Super-Bowl-XLVI-highlights</font> (http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/09000d5d826aedd4/Super-Bowl-XLVI-highlights)

Pause at 5:59.... There is a reason why Welker and Brady said it was a blown coverage. IT WAS A BLOWN COVERAGE. Phillips is at least 7 yards away from Welker. And if Brady leads Welker downfield that is a TD. Look at where Phillips is.... Phillips is only 2 yards away from the center pocket line. No way he can go down the field and close the distance between him and Welker if it was a good throw.

When Brady throws, Welker is slowing down already at the 23 yard line and Phillips is at 25 yard line.... If he went deep and threw it at the 15 yard line in stride, it is a touch down. Phillips doesn't close in time.

bflo23
02-08-2012, 05:30 PM
<div class="articlePluckHidden">

Two veteran NFL assistant coaches - a
quarterbacks coach and a receivers coach - were asked about the play.
They don’t know the exact play-call and how the Patriots teach the play,
but they agreed that the back-shoulder throw was not the type of pass
Welker expected.</p></div><div class="articlePluckHidden">

“You don’t
have to throw a back-shoulder on that because you’re in the seam, and if
you’ve thrown it properly, you beat the safety by taking some air out
of the throw,’’ the quarterbacks coach said. “I think that was an
inaccurate ball. Anytime you get an inaccurate ball, that’s a tough
catch when you’re running vertically toward the goal line like Welker
was.</p></div><div class="articlePluckHidden">

“I wouldn’t count that as a drop if I were charting my football team.’’</p></div><div class="articlePluckHidden">

The receivers coach agreed, to a point.</p></div><div class="articlePluckHidden">

“You
expect that ball to be in front,’’ he said. “But in the end, it was a
catchable ball. Was it where it should have been? No, it’s not where you
normally expect it. You’d like it out in front and just run into it.</p></div>

JDE123
02-08-2012, 05:58 PM
It wasn't a terrible throw. Eric Mangini, who knows more about football than anyone on this message board, said it would rate about 7/10. Welker got both hands on it, he catches it more often than not.

bflo23
02-08-2012, 06:08 PM
It wasn't a terrible throw. Eric Mangini, who knows more about football than anyone on this message board, said it would rate about 7/10. Welker got both hands on it, he catches it more often than not.

Ex-Patriot Mangini worked with Brady so of course he won't blame Brady. I will listen to all the other analysts that blame Brady and watch the wide open terrible throw with my own eyes. Brady is terrible at throwing long distances all season. He is a dink and dunker and can't complete a 20 yard pass to Welker who is wide open.

Eli can drop a beauty bomb 40 yards away in the perfect spot. Brady misses a wide open Welker 20 yards away.

bluesince86
02-08-2012, 06:21 PM
i think you only caught a soundbite of the brady interview.</p>

he said that welker is an awesome athlete, that given the opportunity to run that play again he'd throw it to welker again, and he hopes that he's throwing passes like that to welker for a very very long time.</p>

what you caught was Brady's response to the question "did your recievers let you down today tom?"</p>

And you can thank the media for how they've communicated those answers.</p>

i have alot of respect for tom brady.</p>

"That was a terrible pass. If Welker came down with that it would have been a remarkable catch. That one was on me" --What Tom Brady Should have Said. Instead he came off like he was supportingWelker and getting his back after a mistake. I wouldn't go so far as to say he didn't show class but I'd say he showed that he might be a better leader when things or going well than he is during trials.</p>

it wasn't a good throw, but it certainly wasn't terrible. tom has to shoulder some of the blame, but he shouldn't have to come out and say its a terrible pass. it wouldn't have been a remarkable catch either. it hit welker in both hands, above his head, arms bent, without coverage breathing down his neck.</p>

If that's Ramses Barden, or Jake Ballard, i get why they don't make that play.</p>

But Welker has to come down with that throw. he's considered their possession receiver. those not great throws is why he's there.</p>

</p>

I kind of think it was a terrible pass. Welker had to essentially do a barrel roll just to get in position to get his hands on the ball because it was so far behind him. To me Welkers athleticism made that throw look better than it actually was. Now, I will agree that since he essentially got both of his hands on that ball with no one near him, he should have caught it, but IMO it was still a terrible pass. I dont have a problem at all with the way Brady handled himself during the post game interview though, I thought he actually was very classy in the way he handled the interview. But, I do think Jim Harbaugh needs to spend some time with his brother and maybe even Ray Lewis to learn what class is, I never saw a coach complain and cry about how they got screwed by the refs and the better team loss the game.

JDE123
02-08-2012, 06:22 PM

Ex-Patriot Mangini worked with Brady so of course he won't blame Brady. I will listen to all the other analysts that blame Brady and watch the wide open terrible throw with my own eyes. Brady is terrible at throwing long distances all season. He is a dink and dunker and can't complete a 20 yard pass to Welker who is wide open.

Eli can drop a beauty bomb 40 yards away in the perfect spot. Brady misses a wide open Welker 20 yards away.

Which is why Brady holds the records for Most Passing TDs in a regular season, Most passing TDs Regular and Post-season combined, Most Passing TDs in a Month, Most Passing TDs in a Quarter, Most games in a season with 3+ passing TDs...

And, oh yeah:

Career Yards-Per-Attempt:

Brady = 7.5
Eli = 6.9

bflo23
02-08-2012, 06:28 PM
Which is why Brady holds the records for Most Passing TDs in a regular season, Most passing TDs Regular and Post-season combined, Most Passing TDs in a Month, Most Passing TDs in a Quarter, Most games in a season with 3+ passing TDs...

We are talking about the 2012 version Brady. You know the one who has a 25% completion percentage on passes over 21 yards this season. And Tim Tebow has 27% on passes over 21 yards. Brees has 50% and Rodgers has 55%.

You can dink and dunk and get lot of TDs when you have welker, gronk and hernandez. The receivers are known for getting plenty of yac. Brady needs to stick with throwing 5 yard routes to Welker. Forget the long distance passes like 20 yards with Welker wide open.

burier
02-09-2012, 10:54 AM

it wasn't a good throw, but it certainly wasn't terrible. tom has to shoulder some of the blame, but he shouldn't have to come out and say its a terrible pass.* it wouldn't have been a remarkable catch either.* it hit welker in both hands, above his head, arms bent, without coverage breathing down his neck.</P>

But Welker has to come down with that throw. he's considered their possession receiver.* those not great throws is why he's there.</P>

*</P>

my point is. A leader takes the blame even he's not necessarily at fault.

Could have been a better throw, could have been caught...considering the magnitude of the play you'd hope you're golden boy first ballot HOF QB would bail you out in the media and say his throw wasn't good enough.

He comes off like a guy who's fine taking all the credit but when its time to dish out blame he wants to get out of the way.

nygsb42champs
02-09-2012, 10:56 AM
I am not a Ray Lewis fan but you are correct he was very classy after the New england loss.