PDA

View Full Version : Don't be a silly free agent (Manningham)

Osi_baby
02-08-2012, 05:10 PM
Gibril Wilson
Kevin Boss
Derrick Ward
Steve Smith
Barry Cofield
Fred Robbins
Plaxico Burress
Kawika Mitchell
etc...

Here is a list of players that made a name for themselves around the NFL as a Giant. This is also a list of players that left for free agency while playing at their highest level to <u>instantly</u> fall in the dumpster of washed-up players. Yes, these players were all talented, but <u>its the organization and team around you</u> that makes you the superstar you are. Not just your raw ability. Leaving one to argue; should a player stay in a good system that has given them success? Or leave for a big contract that they only deserved because the Giants' coaches put them in situations to be successful?

When it comes to wide receivers, pray for a good QB. No matter how awesome you are, you won't get the chance to display it if your QB sucks. Randy Moss sucked in Oakland, people thought he was done. Then links up with Brady and sets records. Deon Branch, great with Brady. Goes to Seattle and plays like a has-been. Goes back to Brady and re-makes a name for himself. Steve Smith, he breaks Giant records with Eli and then misses out on a 2nd ring because he wanted to go suck with Vick. (I'm sure many more examples could be made.)

Any of these Giant free agents better be wary of these trends. Success is far more important than any amount of money. Manningham and Jacobs will likely disappear from the NFL lime-light if they choose to leave. For their sake, lets hope they don't.

p.s. - It has already been a long enough road and struggle to get Manningham to finally play at the level we expect since his draft. Hopefully he doesnt let this 15-minutes of fame go to his head, because if he leaves and enters a new system with a worse QB, he'll just be starting all over again from the bottom.

Osi_baby
02-08-2012, 07:31 PM
so disappointing to see the giants forums are filled with people who constantly bicker about the most unimportant ****, and post about nothing on topics that have no relevance.

i have provided a topic full of potential for responses, and yet nobody has any comments. i seem to be the only one that wants to talk giants football. yal would rather watch videos of Gronkowski dancing and make jokes about it. <u>that of which has absolutely nothing to do with giants football.</u>

does anyone know where i can find a forum for people that actually want to talk giants football?

CDN_G-FAN
02-08-2012, 07:54 PM
you've got a point but i see manningham's side of it too.

this is probably his best chance at a big contract.

that's money for his family, and his kids, grandkids, and probably beyond that if he can avoid buying 10 escalades.

all those guys on that list up there had rings, what they didn't have was enough walkin' around money.

so i get it.

bLuereverie
02-08-2012, 07:57 PM
Manningham earned every right to explore free agency. He doesn't owe the Giants anything at this point. He should do what he feels is best for him.

NJGIANTinNC
02-08-2012, 08:14 PM
Explain how Plax is on that list. It's not like he played out his contract and went to another team. Bloomberg f'ed him after he SHOT himself.
Half that list wasn't even offered contracts. Atleast not the $ they were expecting.

The rest got away with highway robbery.

Say you work at McDonald's and they pay you X. Wendy's comes along and offers you XXX. Are you saying your going to stay at McDonald's because you like the fries?

$ talks period
the players that earn the $ they deserve aren't going anywhere. The New York Football Giants are not going to be losing playmakers like Peppers, Steelers Plax, Jared Allen, ect.

miken609
02-08-2012, 08:27 PM
A lifetime of wealth is more important than winning to most of these guys

Brandon jacobs
02-08-2012, 08:33 PM
Explain how Plax is on that list. It's not like he played out his contract and went to another team. Bloomberg f'ed him after he SHOT himself.
Half that list wasn't even offered contracts. Atleast not the $ they were expecting.

Say you work at McDonald's and they pay you X. Wendy's comes along and offers you XXX. Are you saying your going to stay at McDonald's because you like the fries?

$ talks period
the players that earn the $ they deserve aren't going anywhere. The New York Football Giants are not going to be losing playmakers like Peppers, Steelers Plax, Jared Allen, ect.

the reason why this league and sport have waned. it's more about the money anymore.

jomo
02-08-2012, 08:37 PM
All right, here is the cold hard truth.</P>

MM scored about 8 on his wunderlich test. What that means is that he has no other options in life to make many millions of dollars. Football is it for him and he has already exceeded the average NFL career in terms of years played. Look at Steve Smith, Kevin Boss and you should realize that every player is one bad hit away from no more paydays.To you and me, the difference between 1 and 4 million dollars per yearis just a few million dollars (it is monopoy money to us, without meaning)but for MM that is the difference between financial independence for his family foreverversus signing autographs for the rest of his lifeat $5 bucks a pop.</P>

Someone is going to pay him like a #1, which he is not. I love him as our #3 because he is so dangerous despite his route running issues. I would love to keep himfor a reasonable, cap friendly pricebut have no problem with him taking care of his family first. </P>

</P>

egyptian420
02-08-2012, 08:39 PM
Gibril Wilson
Kevin Boss
Derrick Ward
Steve Smith
Barry Cofield
Fred Robbins
Plaxico Burress
Kawika Mitchell
etc...

Here is a list of players that made a name for themselves around the NFL as a Giant. This is also a list of players that left for free agency while playing at their highest level to <u>instantly</u> fall in the dumpster of washed-up players. Yes, these players were all talented, but <u>its the organization and team around you</u> that makes you the superstar you are. Not just your raw ability. Leaving one to argue; should a player stay in a good system that has given them success? Or leave for a big contract that they only deserved because the Giants' coaches put them in situations to be successful?

When it comes to wide receivers, pray for a good QB. No matter how awesome you are, you won't get the chance to display it if your QB sucks. Randy Moss sucked in Oakland, people thought he was done. Then links up with Brady and sets records. Deon Branch, great with Brady. Goes to Seattle and plays like a has-been. Goes back to Brady and re-makes a name for himself. Steve Smith, he breaks Giant records with Eli and then misses out on a 2nd ring because he wanted to go suck with Vick. (I'm sure many more examples could be made.)

Any of these Giant free agents better be wary of these trends. Success is far more important than any amount of money. Manningham and Jacobs will likely disappear from the NFL lime-light if they choose to leave. For their sake, lets hope they don't.

p.s. - It has already been a long enough road and struggle to get Manningham to finally play at the level we expect since his draft. Hopefully he doesnt let this 15-minutes of fame go to his head, because if he leaves and enters a new system with a worse QB, he'll just be starting all over again from the bottom.

From a fan's perspective, I agree with you. But you got to see it from their perspective.

If you worked at a Wal-Mart, and another one opened up where you could earn much more money for yourself and your family for doing the same work, what would you do?

For this reason, I tend to not get too attached to specific players, I'm a fan of the Giants team and the values it represents.

redbeardxxv
02-08-2012, 08:42 PM
so disappointing to see the giants forums are filled with people who constantly bicker about the most unimportant ****, and post about nothing on topics that have no relevance.

i have provided a topic full of potential for responses, and yet nobody has any comments.* i seem to be the only one that wants to talk giants football.* yal would rather watch videos of Gronkowski dancing and make jokes about it.* <u>that of which has absolutely nothing to do with giants football.</u>

does anyone know where i can find a forum for people that actually want to talk giants football?

Since your elitist attitude has you believing it isn't here, try the door there---------------->

And don't let it hit ya where the good lord split ya. (oh, and take your "Topic full of potential responses" with you. Want a topic full of potential responses? Here's one... "Why this snotty OP should shut the **** up." That should keep us busy for awhile.)

Harooni
02-08-2012, 09:43 PM
yeah but they all got $$$$ for the trouble.

Hostetler
02-08-2012, 09:52 PM
He will go where the money is. period. Any one of us would do the same. wether he is worth #1 money or not - someone will give him 4-5 mil per year for 4 or more years, Imagine him in SF with Crabtree and Davis, Peyton has already said he would take a contract based on performance, If you were Mario would you stay with the Giants for 2 mil or go where you are the #2 for 4 mil?</P>

DemandedAce
02-08-2012, 10:06 PM
As long as it isn't the eagles, I'm happy for him and hope he gets what is best for him and his family for life

Osi_baby
02-09-2012, 01:05 AM

lmao great analogy. funny &amp; relevant.

I get the whole money issue as far as using a big contract to sustain you for the rest of you and your family's life. but let me break down my logic on this standpoint.

mock free agency for mario: as it stands he made $1.4 million in 2011...

#1 WR contract: 3yrs / $25 million {roughly $8.3 million a year} Lets assume he busts with that new team and doesnt make another roster after those three years. He ends up making $25 million and is considered a wash-up.

#3 WR contract w/ gmen: 7yrs / $25 million {rounghly $3.5 million a year} Very realistic for Manningham to have an 11yr career if he stays in the same system with Eli throwing him the ball. He'd end up making that same $25 million, except he'll be considered a great Giant receiver instead of some wash-up. Also not to mention the possibility of a few more rings.

ELIteManning
02-09-2012, 01:09 AM

lmao great analogy.* funny & relevant.

I get the whole money issue as far as using a big contract to sustain you for the rest of you and your family's life.* but let me break down my logic on this standpoint.

mock free agency for mario:* as it stands he made $1.4 million in 2011...

#1 WR contract:* 3yrs / $25 million* {roughly $8.3 million a year} Lets assume he busts with that new team and doesnt make another roster after those three years.* he ends up making $25 million.

#3 WR contract w/ gmen:* 7yrs / $25 million {rounghly $3.5 million a year} Very realistic for Manningham to have an 11yr career if he stays in the same system with Eli throwing him the ball.* He'd end up making that same $25 million, except he'll be considered a great Giant receiver instead of some wash-up.* Also not to mention the possibility of a few more rings.

Rather unrealistic to imagine he can't make another roster 3 years from now don't you think?!?

Osi_baby
02-09-2012, 01:13 AM
Rather unrealistic to imagine he can't make another roster 3 years from now don't you think?!?

Manningham has had Super Bowl XLII MVP and most recently Super Bowl XLVI Eli Manning throwing him the ball his whole 4 year career. If it has taken him this long to start playing up to expectations. What makes you think that process will be any faster (if not the same) in a new system with a worse QB?

RagTime Blue
02-09-2012, 01:16 AM
I really think that Mario's best chance to put up numbers is with the Giants.

I hope he looks to the long-term, and takes a fair offer from Reese and pad his stats for the big cash-in and sell-out for his 3rd contract.

If he doesn't put up numbers with his new team, he will be released.

ELIteManning
02-09-2012, 01:18 AM

Manningham has had Super Bowl XLII MVP and most recently Super Bowl XLVI Eli Manning throwing him the ball his whole 4 year career.* If it has taken him this long to start playing up to expectations.* What makes you think that process will be any faster (if not the same) in a new system with a worse QB?

I am not saying that he is going to be a #1 wide receiver but to think he can't even make a team in the NFL is crazy talk.

Osi_baby
02-09-2012, 01:36 AM
He's been with the giants for 4yrs. Has always been our #3 or #4 wideout. I don't think him being 4 years older is going to make him faster and stronger. He'll almost be 30 and he's certainly not the first guy you would think of that could go fit right into a new system.

So in the end, Mario's free agency decision isn't actually about more money because he stands to make the same amount from either situation. He's basically deciding whether he wants a football legacy or not.

dave56dj
02-09-2012, 01:51 AM
Osi there is some stuff you say IN THEORY that makes sense but the truth is the one thing that TRUMPS everything you are saying is INJURY. These guys simply have to take top dollar cause it can all be over so quickly for them and this is their chance to never have to work again - and some for generations to come. Now is it worth passing up a million to stay with the Gmen - probably but 4/5 NO. And while we as fans would love him to do just that it would be unfair to expect it.

Mario also has a love for warmer weather and I believe he like so many other players picked off super bowl teams will head for cushier pastures. And i for one will be thankful for his time here.

One other note about Mario - of our three big play guys Mario was most off with eli when it came to option reads - he still struggled at times seeing the defense. He is very talented physically but to me doesnt have the makeup to be more then a 2. I wish him well.

The reverse argument is while Eli makes guys look so good - he too will make our next number 3 look better then he is. Maybe Barden, maybe Jernigan - or maybe thomas gets a shot - or maybe Reese surprises us as he so often does.
AND if not.
THANK YOU MARIO FOR A GREAT RUN AS A GIANT - and one helluva catch this past Sunday.

davecrazy
02-09-2012, 02:19 AM
I hope Mario gets a huge contract in a nice warm weather city. He earned it.

Osi_baby
02-09-2012, 02:46 AM
Osi there is some stuff you say IN THEORY that
makes sense but the truth is the one thing that TRUMPS everything you
are saying is INJURY. These guys simply have to take top dollar cause it
can all be over so quickly for them and this is their chance to never
have to work again - and some for generations to come. Now is it worth
passing up a million to stay with the Gmen - probably but 4/5 NO. And
while we as fans would love him to do just that it would be unfair to
expect it.

Mario also has a love for warmer weather and I believe he like so many
other players picked off super bowl teams will head for cushier
pastures. And i for one will be thankful for his time here.

One other note about Mario - of our three big play guys Mario was most
off with eli when it came to option reads - he still struggled at times
seeing the defense. He is very talented physically but to me doesnt have
the makeup to be more then a 2. I wish him well.

The reverse argument is while Eli makes guys look so good - he too will
make our next number 3 look better then he is. Maybe Barden, maybe
Jernigan - or maybe thomas gets a shot - or maybe Reese surprises us as
he so often does.
AND if not.
THANK YOU MARIO FOR A GREAT RUN AS A GIANT - and one helluva catch this
past Sunday.

outstanding points across the board...

i've been waiting a long time for barden to shine. i know he's had his share of injuries, but no matter what he really doesnt get in-game opportunities. they talk about how great he does in practice. if so why doesnt he see the field when healthy?

sure, he didnt play Division I, but the guy still tied Jerry Rice's college TD record (even though jerry hasnt own it since 2006). but still gotta count for something.

dave56dj
02-09-2012, 03:22 AM
Osi one thing all of us fans must learn is that WE simply dont see the guys every day and we think we can evaluate them on Sundays alone but you simply cant (not saying you are one of these fans at all). Now sometimes guys do slip through the cracks - in fact many thought cruz might as his pre season was less then stellar - but i have faith in KG and TC to fine that next 3 if MM goes.

Barden may be that guy but I think it was slightly telling he was inactive and the giants had a couple snaps for thomas and even one or two for jernigan in the playoffs. I think Jernell had a catch in san fran. Still it may be ramsees time next year - but i think jj will get a shot as will thomas. IN TC KG AND JR I TRUST, they will ferret out a third guy or Eli will make one.

bflo23
02-09-2012, 03:26 AM
All players are business men. These aren't fans. They are looking for top dollar first and foremost. I am hoping that he would probably take a pay cut to stay with the giants and be our 3rd WR. I don't think he is worth big bucks though. Like him to stay with the Giants and try to win more super bowls. However, I understand if he leaves and take the big money elsewhere to become another team's #1 or #2 WR. If he becomes another team's #1 WR, he will most likely put up better stats and then that will help him in the future to make even a bigger contract.

NFL is a business..... Teams and players can't be loyal to a fault to each other.

NJGIANTinNC
02-09-2012, 07:26 AM

$ talks period

the reason why this league and sport have waned. it's more about the money anymore.

I don't think that is the reason the game has "waned"

These are professional athletes playing for the biggest $ making league. They have to be paid fair market value.
Yea it is an incredible amount of money. But against how much $ they bring into the league. It really isn't that much money.

The real problem is the "chick-a-fa-ction" of our culture.
Everything must be fair, everything must be safe, no one loses - (except Tom Lady)

bLuereverie
02-09-2012, 07:30 AM

lmao great analogy.* funny & relevant.

I get the whole money issue as far as using a big contract to sustain you for the rest of you and your family's life.* but let me break down my logic on this standpoint.

mock free agency for mario:* as it stands he made $1.4 million in 2011...

#1 WR contract:* 3yrs / $25 million* {roughly $8.3 million a year} Lets assume he busts with that new team and doesnt make another roster after those three years.* He ends up making $25 million and is considered a wash-up.

#3 WR contract w/ gmen:* 7yrs / $25 million {rounghly $3.5 million a year} Very realistic for Manningham to have an 11yr career if he stays in the same system with Eli throwing him the ball.* He'd end up making that same $25 million, except he'll be considered a great Giant receiver instead of some wash-up.* Also not to mention the possibility of a few more rings.

This is beyond absurd. He's not getting 8.3 mil a year. That puts him in the top 10 salaries of WRs in the entire league.

I doubt he even gets 3.5mil a year as that is hovering near #1 receiver money which he obviously isn't.

Not to mention, what you think is a modest contract for the Giants would actually be rather crippling. IF he signs with the Giants, it won't be for more than two years. They still have to resign Cruz and Nicks who will garner a lot of money in an already tight cap. Not to mention Tuck, JPP and so on.

bandwgn86
02-09-2012, 07:58 AM
I really think that Mario's best chance to put up numbers is with the Giants.*

I hope he looks to the long-term, and takes a fair offer from Reese and pad his stats for the big cash-in and sell-out for his 3rd contract.

If he doesn't put up numbers with his new team, he will be released.
I tend to agree.. Mario Ochodos is still learning this playbook. Imagine if he has to start over again...

Gimaniac
02-09-2012, 08:05 AM
I agree that Mario should take care of his family and secure his financial future. But the OP brings up a good point, did Derrick Ward make the right choice by leaving and signing for what appeared to be more money at the time, or would he have made more money by staying here, playing in New York, being more productive, playing in the Super Bowl, signing endorsements, ...etc. ?

nygsb42champs
02-09-2012, 08:07 AM
I don't want Manningham to be silly either. Hopefully the grass is not always greener on the other side.
One thing about your list Burress and Mitchell did not make there names from the Giants.

AllTuckedUp
02-09-2012, 08:08 AM

i have provided a topic full of potential for responses, and yet nobody has any comments.* i seem to be the only one that wants to talk giants football.* yal would rather watch videos of Gronkowski dancing and make jokes about it.* <u>that of which has absolutely nothing to do with giants football.</u>

firs of all......shut up. thanks. As for Mario, you think his thought process has to do with him going "Well if I don't have Eli i'm going to suck?" No. More like how about I keep beasting and get paid big bucks for it?

CDN_G-FAN
02-09-2012, 10:37 AM
All right, here is the cold hard truth.</P>

MM scored about 8 on his wunderlich test. What that means is that he has no other options in life to make many millions of dollars. Football is it for him and he has already exceeded the average NFL career in terms of years played. Look at Steve Smith, Kevin Boss and you should realize that every player is one bad hit away from no more paydays.To you and me, the difference between 1 and 4 million dollars per yearis just a few million dollars (it is monopoy money to us, without meaning)but for MM that is the difference between financial independence for his family foreverversus signing autographs for the rest of his lifeat $5 bucks a pop.</P>

Someone is going to pay him like a #1, which he is not. I love him as our #3 because he is so dangerous despite his route running issues. I would love to keep himfor a reasonable, cap friendly pricebut have no problem with him taking care of his family first. </P>

</P>

</P>

</P>

what a great post. best of the week.</P>

to us these guys are football players. but they have families, and mortgages, and they have to figure out how to make a living for the next 30-40 years after they retire.</P>

almost all of them retire as really young men, just as most people's careers are picking up steam (early 30s).</P>

they have to basically be financially set by the time they retire, or they're out of luck.</P>

and what a great point about steve smith. He was looking at $5 mill+ a year with probably a $15 million bonus minimum, and now if he gets a 1 year deal worth $2 million he's jumping on that like Snee on a SB fumble.</P>

</P>

Osi_baby
02-09-2012, 12:21 PM
I agree that Mario should take care of his family and secure his financial future. But the OP brings up a good point, did Derrick Ward make the right choice by leaving and signing for what appeared to be more money at the time, or would he have made more money by staying here, playing in New York, being more productive, playing in the Super Bowl, signing endorsements, ...etc. ?

Exactly. If you can stay a hot player in the NFL for twice as long (which Ward probably would have done had he stayed a Giant), then you could make a ton of money from everything mentioned above. Which I feel could end up being more lucrative in the long run rather than just jumping on a huge contract in the middle of your career.