PDA

View Full Version : Rank the Giants WR corps...

Mod_N
02-08-2012, 07:15 PM
Time to eat crow, and yummy, it's delicious.

I believe I had such teams as the Chiefs WRs ahead of ours before the season started. I couldn't find the thread, but I said Hixon was a question mark and wasn't even sure if Cruz was going to make the team. Yuck, I feel gross. I'm going to shower and come back to this thread in a little.

DragonSoul
02-08-2012, 07:27 PM

I believe I had such teams as the Chiefs WRs ahead of ours before the season started.* I couldn't find the thread, but I said Hixon was a question mark and wasn't even sure if Cruz was going to make the team.* Yuck, I feel gross. I'm going to shower and come back to this thread in a little.
It is ok. Let it all out. We are here for you (not pointing & laughing at you) [:p]

NYGRealityCheck
02-08-2012, 07:29 PM
I was on board with Cruz since his Jets preseason debut. You will not find a single post from me saying anything remotedly negative about Cruz. The kid is a star. His regular season starting debut vs. the Eagles this season solidified that fact. All the big plays later this season just made him ridiculous. How a WR like Cruz goes undrafted is mind-boggling unless he had a bad combine.

Without a doubt the best "3rd WR" in the NFL this season. Belicheck doubled him in the Superbowl, which allowed Nicks and Manningham to exploit the one-on-one coverages. He was afraid of his big play ability.

Nicks-Manningham-Cruz combo = No. 1

GmenFan1980
02-08-2012, 07:31 PM

I believe I had such teams as the Chiefs WRs ahead of ours before the season started.* I couldn't find the thread, but I said Hixon was a question mark and wasn't even sure if Cruz was going to make the team.* Yuck, I feel gross. I'm going to shower and come back to this thread in a little.

I 100% forgive you.....If you ranked our guys higher then the jags receivers http://boards.giants.com/emoticons/emotion-4.gif if no then only 90% forgiveness lol :P

Mod_N
02-08-2012, 07:34 PM

I believe I had such teams as the Chiefs WRs ahead of ours before the season started. I couldn't find the thread, but I said Hixon was a question mark and wasn't even sure if Cruz was going to make the team. Yuck, I feel gross. I'm going to shower and come back to this thread in a little.

I 100% forgive you.....If you ranked our guys higher then the jags receivers http://boards.giants.com/emoticons/emotion-4.gif if no then only 90% forgiveness lol :P

I think I had us at about 14th or 15th... not sure. I pretty much said we didn't know who our slot WR was and I was basing the rankings on WR depth too. But still, definitely didn't have us in the top 10.

Mod_N
02-08-2012, 07:34 PM
I was on board with Cruz since his Jets preseason debut. You will not find a single post from me saying anything remotedly negative about Cruz. The kid is a star. His regular season starting debut vs. the Eagles this season solidified that fact. All the big plays later this season just made him ridiculous. How a WR like Cruz goes undrafted is mind-boggling unless he had a bad combine.

Without a doubt the best "3rd WR" in the NFL this season. Belicheck doubled him in the Superbowl, which allowed Nicks and Manningham to exploit the one-on-one coverages. He was afraid of his big play ability.

Nicks-Manningham-Cruz combo = No. 1Yup, they dared Manningham and Nicks to beat them, they did.

NYgiants141
02-08-2012, 07:40 PM

Nicks-Manningham-Cruz combo = No. 1Yup, they dared Manningham and Nicks to beat them, they did.

Um... can't say i blame you buddy, not like anyone on these boards saw this coming.

giantsfan420
02-08-2012, 07:42 PM

well not really. NE played a very soft Cover 2 shell, Cruz was the one bracketed, sometimes even having 3 players bracket him, but often it was a LB taking away an inside cut or the db would take away the outside cut and force him into the lb.

NE was pretty smart about how they did it, the only problem, they had their DB's play in such a way they completely allowed the flats to be wide open.

It was more like NE dared Eli to be patient, take the underneath stuff, and hoped he would force a pass into coverage. Eli didn't, as the 30-40 for 300 yards would indicate. He completed a bunch of passes to Pascoe, Hynoski, Ballard on the underneath stuff.

Nicks had 10 catches, MM had 5 and Cruz I believe had 4? 14 catches went to the other receivers, Eli was on his game and extremely accurate.

The way NE defended us actually helps us next year bc we added another dimension to our pass attack. If defenses are going to commit 7 guys to our 3 wr's, we're going to bury them with the dink and dunk to the underneath stuff, throw it to the rb's, te's and fb's.

It was actually a brilliant D gameplan by BB, only, it was an even better effort by Eli and co.

edit-and I had our WR corp ranked very high, best in the NFC East except I was wrong about Cruz. I thought Barden would have the year Cruz had, here's hoping that happens next season...

edit2-actually Cruz AND Nicks were doubled often. That's what they did when we got near the redzone. Its why we settled for FG's bc Eli wouldn't force anything.
It's why MM was able to have that big 4th quarter and eventually the big play. The safeties were rolling their coverage zones towards Nicks and Cruz, which gave Eli that small window on the deep pass. It really was a helluva gameplan by BB defensively. Again, it was just better play by Eli and Co.

Edit3-The NE coverage was why KG started lining up Nicks and Cruz and isolated MM. Usually Nicks would be the iso WR, but NE was successfully doubling both. And when Ballard went down, KG made an awesome adjustment.

Ok no more edits sorry...

krygny
02-08-2012, 07:49 PM
<font color="#000080"><font size="6">#1</font></font>

By definition.

Axels15
02-08-2012, 07:50 PM

:D

This post makes me happy. I remember that thread. It was a fun discussion

Marvelousmik
02-08-2012, 07:51 PM

I have a thread about our receiving corps being better than the packers and i made it early on in the season. I cant find it but i was looking to pull it up the other day.

bluesince86
02-08-2012, 07:59 PM
I would say top 5 maybe top 3, but I would like to see one more year of playing at a high level though before definitely saying top 3. I would like to know how much influence the level of Eli's play has had on them though. I mean, Boss hasn't done anything with the Raiders (I know they stink, but still). If MM leaves, I will be very interested to see how he does without Eli as QB and Nicks, and Cruz taking coverage away from him

giantsfan420
02-08-2012, 08:03 PM

I have a thread about* our receiving corps being better than the packers and i made it early on in the season. I cant find it but i was looking to pull it up the other day.

i remember that thread. i agreed with u but i remember that was the thread the whole "mccarthys scheme would be so much better here, its why our WR's aren't putting up numbers like theirs" or something.

I do remember that thread and I do remember you making that statement. I think that was the thread that gave birth to the whole "Put Eli on GB and GB's offense doesn't miss a beat, Put Rodgers on our Offense and it'd struggle just the same." This was after the Redskins game if I remember correctly.

FIFTY6G-MAN
02-08-2012, 08:04 PM
I was on board with Cruz since his Jets preseason debut. You will not find a single post from me saying anything remotedly negative about Cruz. The kid is a star. His regular season starting debut vs. the Eagles this season solidified that fact. All the big plays later this season just made him ridiculous. How a WR like Cruz goes undrafted is mind-boggling unless he had a bad combine. Without a doubt the best "3rd WR" in the NFL this season. Belicheck doubled him in the Superbowl, which allowed Nicks and Manningham to exploit the one-on-one coverages. He was afraid of his big play ability. Nicks-Manningham-Cruz combo = No. 1I called Cruz last year at the Jets game. JR IR'd him only to pull the wool, Hamstring doesnt = IR. Thats my story and im sticking to it.[B]

NYGRealityCheck
02-08-2012, 08:09 PM

well not really. NE played a very soft Cover 2 shell, Cruz was the one bracketed, sometimes even having 3 players bracket him, but often it was a LB taking away an inside cut or the db would take away the outside cut and force him into the lb.

NE was pretty smart about how they did it, the only problem, they had their DB's play in such a way they completely allowed the flats to be wide open.

It was more like NE dared Eli to be patient, take the underneath stuff, and hoped he would force a pass into coverage. Eli didn't, as the 30-40 for 300 yards would indicate. He completed a bunch of passes to Pascoe, Hynoski, Ballard on the underneath stuff.

Nicks had 10 catches, MM had 5 and Cruz I believe had 4? 14 catches went to the other receivers, Eli was on his game and extremely accurate.

The way NE defended us actually helps us next year bc we added another dimension to our pass attack. If defenses are going to commit 7 guys to our 3 wr's, we're going to bury them with the dink and dunk to the underneath stuff, throw it to the rb's, te's and fb's.

It was actually a brilliant D gameplan by BB, only, it was an even better effort by Eli and co.

edit-and I had our WR corp ranked very high, best in the NFC East except I was wrong about Cruz. I thought Barden would have the year Cruz had, here's hoping that happens next season...

edit2-actually Cruz AND Nicks were doubled often. That's what they did when we got near the redzone. Its why we settled for FG's bc Eli wouldn't force anything.
It's why MM was able to have that big 4th quarter and eventually the big play. The safeties were rolling their coverage zones towards Nicks and Cruz, which gave Eli that small window on the deep pass. It really was a helluva gameplan by BB defensively. Again, it was just better play by Eli and Co.

Edit3-The NE coverage was why KG started lining up Nicks and Cruz and isolated MM. Usually Nicks would be the iso WR, but NE was successfully doubling both. And when Ballard went down, KG made an awesome adjustment.

Ok no more edits sorry...

When you have to edit that much to glorify the Giants WR corp, it's usually a good thing. :>

Marvelousmik
02-08-2012, 08:12 PM

I have a thread about our receiving corps being better than the packers and i made it early on in the season. I cant find it but i was looking to pull it up the other day.

i remember that thread. i agreed with u but i remember that was the thread the whole "mccarthys scheme would be so much better here, its why our WR's aren't putting up numbers like theirs" or something.

I do remember that thread and I do remember you making that statement. I think that was the thread that gave birth to the whole "Put Eli on GB and GB's offense doesn't miss a beat, Put Rodgers on our Offense and it'd struggle just the same." This was after the Redskins game if I remember correctly.

my whole argument was basically when an offense has sucsess, the media automatically hypes up that team and talk about how great the players are. The packers WR's are all hype if u ask me. The only pro bowl caliber player is jennings. Lol i found it funny how people started throwing the names of the packer recievers like they were great or something. I even remember someone saying cobb is great and how rodgers has all these weapons.

They are well coached and good but their offense does not have better <font color="#0000FF">weapons</font> than the falcons, cowboys, bengals, giants, eagles, steelers or saints. They key word is "<font color="#0000FF">weapons"<font color="#000000">.</font></font>

nicks and jennings are equal in skill in my opinion.

cruz &gt; jody nelson

manningham &gt; driver

runningbacks are even in my opinion

they have a better tight end.

i would take our offense over the packers any day because cruz is way better than nelson and although manningham isnt great, he is still way better than driver.

Marvelousmik
02-08-2012, 08:32 PM
If you ask me, the giants have the best WR corps but the cowboys have the most weapons on offense right now.

Give rodgers

dez, miles, robinson, J-witten, and murray, and you will see what true weapons look like.

Give Eli a game changing tight end and we without a doubt will have more weapons on offense than any team lol.