PDA

View Full Version : I'm happy that Bradshaw scored the TD.

buddy33
02-08-2012, 10:12 PM
I did think it was a mistake at first, but so many things can go wrong on a kick. No kick is a guarantee.

I heard the radio call by Papa and Banks and Banks said it was the right thing to do. He said you score the TD and trust your defense.

miken609
02-08-2012, 10:31 PM
I think he should have went down then scored on the next play :)

JJC7301
02-08-2012, 10:52 PM
I did think it was a mistake at first, but so many things can go wrong on a kick. No kick is a guarantee.

I heard the radio call by Papa and Banks and Banks said it was the right thing to do. He said you score the TD and trust your defense.
I agree -- don't screw around. And I don't like that Eli had told him "not to score" when handing him the ball -- talk about a mind ****.

I don't even buy that Bradshaw "lost momentum." I think he was confused by what he heard and when at the goal line, decided to take the TD instead of not taking it because he was unsure about what he heard. Either way, doesn't matter to me -- I'm just glad he scored the TD.

gmenblue8890
02-09-2012, 12:10 AM
I agree 100%, I was begging for him to take the TD when I saw the Pats clear out. like buddy33 said, no kick is a guarantee, anything can happen. I think coaches, announcers and players all take field goals for granted in short range. Things happen. Could you imagine how devastating it would have been to opt to just get the field goal and have it blocked, or a terrible snap or something?!

THE_New_York_Giants
02-09-2012, 12:13 AM
I agree 100%, I was begging for him to take the TD when I saw the Pats clear out. like buddy33 said, no kick is a guarantee, anything can happen. I think coaches, announcers and players all take field goals for granted in short range. Things happen. Could you imagine how devastating it would have been to opt to just get the field goal and have it blocked, or a terrible snap or something?!

If you give up a TD from an 8 yard drive with 50 secs left, you deserve to lose. Take the TD.

giantsfan420
02-09-2012, 12:29 AM
my theory on this is similar to the final game of the reg. season in 07 when coughlin said you go all out every game every play.

in the SB, why would you let up and not go full out? why would BB do that? now the players will have to wonder what if...what if we stopped them, what if we forced a fumble, what if we blocked the kick...

and its why i like that bradshaw scored...u go all out every game every play. u dont let up or take it easy, thats how bad things happen.

just my take on it. had it been a reg. season game i may feel differently, but in the sb, u go all out for 60 minutes

miked1958
02-09-2012, 03:22 AM
my theory on this is similar to the final game of the reg. season in 07 when coughlin said you go all out every game every play.

in the SB, why would you let up and not go full out? why would BB do that? now the players will have to wonder what if...what if we stopped them, what if we forced a fumble, what if we blocked the kick...

and its why i like that bradshaw scored...u go all out every game every play. u dont let up or take it easy, thats how bad things happen.

just my take on it. had it been a reg. season game i may feel differently, but in the sb, u go all out for 60 minutes
I agree with you

dave56dj
02-09-2012, 03:31 AM
We won - I'm happy but a thought:

A kick from that close is in fact almost always a gimme - as many of you say things can happen - um yes they can - but in fact they almost never do.

A closer look of Tynes shows you he is almost perfect from inside 40. Now you can bring up Cundiff or anderson or anything else you'd like but those are the exceptions and are extremely rare - 97 percent of the time you nail it and not doing something b/c you could get cundiffed is mathematically foolish. That said i dont mind that he scored and put them up by more then an FG with less then 1 minute to play.

giantsfan420
02-09-2012, 03:33 AM

A kick from that close is in fact almost always a gimme - as many of you say things can happen - um yes they can - but in fact they almost never do.

A closer look of Tynes shows you he is almost perfect from inside 40. Now you can bring up Cundiff or anderson or anything else you'd like but those are the exceptions and are extremely rare - 97 percent of the time you nail it and not doing something b/c you could get cundiffed is mathematically foolish. That said i dont mind that he scored and put them up by more then an FG with less then 1 minute to play.

tynes has had chip shot fgs blocked and also has missed chip shot fgs. one vs atlanta in round 1 even...i agree its the easiest kick possible, but it doesnt mean it can't go bad real fast

dave56dj
02-09-2012, 03:57 AM
Statistically it actually does mean it wont go bad real fast - he did not miss any kick from that close all year - in fact he is 56 of 57 all time from inside 29, so im not sure why you bring up the missed kick against atlanta. In fact its a 96 percent chance around the league. Yes it could be missed and yes planes do crash - but it is extremely unlikely . And then there is this.

There will be those of you who say, "Well, Billy Cundiff missed a short field goal two weeks ago!" Doing or not doing something because one player on another team failed at a relatively easy task in the recent past is just about the dumbest way to run a business of any sort. Should the Giants have never thrown a pass into the end zone because Lee Evans dropped his open touchdown catch at the end of the AFC Championship Game?

Again happy AB scored but to think it couldnt have worked out another way to is silly - Still revisionist history is lame - we won - IM HAPPY.

TheBookOfEli
02-09-2012, 04:08 AM
Yeah the TD is what i would've called. A field goal would've made me more nervous. A botched snap or blocked field goal would've gave me nightmares for the rest of my life.

ru_gmen55
02-09-2012, 04:14 AM
I was initially angry about the TD, but after thinking about it rationally, it was the right thing to do. Take the points you are being handed on a silver platter, and trust our D. Even if Tynes nails the kick with 20 ticks left, ones if kick return to the 40 or 50 puts them 20 yards or so away from their own FG attempt...scoring a TD in 1 minute isn't exactly an easy task with 1 timeout.

I'm bummed for a selfish reason,,,the call from every broadcast was so anti-climactic! That had to have been the least exciting game-winning TD EVER! Still...it was a hell of a game with a hell of a finish. Still can't believe it's real.

bansaw
02-09-2012, 05:04 AM
the way everyone here thinks about Tynes....

he would have had the whole collective of Giants fans thinking he'll miss it, when enough people believe something it usually happens

for me I'll never forget it was a Bradshaw that scored the winner in this one [:D]

TheAussieGiant
02-09-2012, 05:49 AM
Take the points when they are on offer, every time.

SweetZombieJesus
02-09-2012, 06:11 AM

Not to mention, plenty can go wrong running the ball. The Pats were going for the strip every single play. Bradshaw has fumbled by himself in the past. There could be a bad snap, there could be a botched handoff, the ball can get poked out, they could blitz and Eli gets tackled before making the handoff. Doesn't anybody remember Joe Pisarcik fumbling the ball after a bad handoff when all they had to do was take a knee to win the game, instead the Eagles recover and the Giants lose.

And if you run out the clock, you don't even have to trust your defense because you aren't putting them on the field and you aren't giving Tom Brady a minute to hock the ball downfield. That hail mary was right there and they had a good chance to catch it.

Take a knee, Pats use their last time out.
Take another knee and let the clock run out, take the 5 yard delay of game. That leaves about 20 seconds on the clock.
Take another knee, call timeout with 3 seconds left.
Kick FG. Game over. Brady never gets off the bench.

nygfanmaybe
02-09-2012, 06:46 AM
I think this play in the SB will be something that everybody will notice and plan for in the future. Here's what shoulda happened...

Bradshaw, once he realized they weren't going to touch him, shoulda ran down to about the 1/2 yard line and just ran in place...ready to score if anybody gets close. You have to score there, but if you can beat them at their own game by scoring and taking time off the clock, it becomes even more rewarding...if that's possible.

bansaw
02-09-2012, 06:52 AM
<font size="4">It worked out</font> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_LKIrBu0Oc

nygsb42champs
02-09-2012, 08:22 AM
it was the correct play. There are so many things that could go wrong on a field goal attempt.

Moss#83
02-09-2012, 08:58 AM
If it was Peyton Manning on the other side I can understand not scoring somewhat. But it was Brady who needed the TD. He is the king of getting his team into FG position. So forcing him to score a TD is not a bad decision. His "clutch" ability is a big time myth. All his SB were won by his kicker.

GameTime
02-09-2012, 10:10 AM
you can see in the Sound FX clips though when he does fall over and score you can read Eli's lips...</P>

he says...:"****"......</P>

It has been discussed heavily already but I guess there are two schools of thought. But one thing you can argue with is the outcome.....</P>

gmenblue8890
02-09-2012, 11:38 AM
Like The _New_York_Giants said, take the TD let your defense make the stop. If a team can't stop a drive down the entire field for a td with 50 secs in the Superbowl that is just sad.

bansaw
02-09-2012, 11:51 AM
Tynes had one scrape off the upright already...just saying

it worked out imo

Husky
02-09-2012, 12:07 PM
One long completion OR PI and the Pats get a shot at a FG for the win, if we go for the FG and make it. They needed 45 yds and their play calling would've been totally different. I was ok with making them get 7. They're not a Big play team.

jhamburg
02-09-2012, 12:22 PM
Like The _New_York_Giants said, take the TD let your defense make the stop. If a team can't stop a drive down the entire field for a td with 50 secs in the Superbowl that is just sad.

Saying you'd rather force your defense to make a stop in that spot than kick a 20 yd FG is like saying you'd rather shoot a free throw to win a championship than make a wide open layup.

Husky
02-09-2012, 12:58 PM

Saying you'd rather force your defense to make a stop in that spot than kick a 20 yd FG is like saying you'd rather shoot a free throw to win a championship than make a wide open layup.
Bad analogy, as the D still had to make a stop. One long completion or PI and they're in FG range. For a FG they had to get withing the 35. As this is a hypothetical, who's to say they don't get a decent return, even if it's to the 30. Then they need only 35 yds but the D needs to protect 65 yds, iow's the whole field. IIRC the Pats had one Bomb all year, that was Welkers 99 yarder.

Moss#83
02-09-2012, 12:59 PM

Bad analogy, as the D still had to make a stop.* One long completion or PI and they're in FG range.** For a FG they had to get withing the 35.* As this is a hypothetical, who's to say they don't get a decent return, even if it's to the 30.* Then they need only 35 yds but the D needs to protect 65 yds, iow's the whole field.* IIRC the Pats had one Bomb all year, that was Welkers 99 yarder.
I don't think there would be time on the clock for the Pats.

Husky
02-09-2012, 01:06 PM

Bad analogy, as the D still had to make a stop. One long completion or PI and they're in FG range. For a FG they had to get withing the 35. As this is a hypothetical, who's to say they don't get a decent return, even if it's to the 30. Then they need only 35 yds but the D needs to protect 65 yds, iow's the whole field. IIRC the Pats had one Bomb all year, that was Welkers 99 yarder.
20 seconds for 1, 2 or three plays. That's quite possible.

jhamburg
02-09-2012, 01:23 PM

Bad analogy, as the D still had to make a stop.* One long completion or PI and they're in FG range.** For a FG they had to get withing the 35.* As this is a hypothetical, who's to say they don't get a decent return, even if it's to the 30.* Then they need only 35 yds but the D needs to protect 65 yds, iow's the whole field.* IIRC the Pats had one Bomb all year, that was Welkers 99 yarder.
20 seconds for 1, 2 or three plays. * That's quite possible.**

It was 57 seconds when we scored, so if he went down they would have called a timeout, we run one play maybe takes 3-4 seconds off the clock, run clock all the way down and take timeout or delay of game, and a few seconds go off the clock to kick the FG, maybe 4-5 seconds. That leaves about 10 seconds left. So if they try to return the kick at all that will take most of the time off the clock and they will have time for one play and one play only. If they kneel in the end zone they MAYBE have time for one play to the sidelines, but even that is iffy. And it has to go like 45 yards to the sidelines at least. If they complete in bounds, the game is over.

buddy33
02-09-2012, 01:29 PM
You have to trust the defense. Look at how the Patriots made it into the Super Bowl. As someone also pointed out, they already had a very close call that game on a kick that just made it.

gmenblue8890
02-09-2012, 02:15 PM

That analogy probably makes more sense if you compare it to the fg vs. taking the td. Taking the TD is like taking the wide open layup as it is guaranteed points. Where as the field goal is like the free throw, because it isn't guaranteed you'll make it.