PDA

View Full Version : Giants brilliant defensive gameplan.

jjj45
02-09-2012, 01:16 AM
http://nflfilms.nfl.com/category/contributors/greg-cosell/

Here writer Greg Cosell calls our defense in the Superbowl "brilliant" and "complex" by holding New England to only 17 points.

I was amazed how NE was able to hold off our passrush. But we still were able to limit them.

Gronk being injured was also a huge factor imo

So do you guys agree with all the points in this article?

Discuss?

M0rbid
02-09-2012, 01:23 AM

Here writer Greg Cosell calls our defense in the Superbowl "brilliant" and "complex" by holding New England to only 17 points.

I was amazed how NE was able to hold off our passrush. But we still were able to limit them.

Discuss?

Mostly, 3-4 step drop -- short passing plays with max protection. Their o-line wasn't exactly amazing.

jjj45
02-09-2012, 01:33 AM

Discuss?

Mostly, 3-4 step drop -- short passing plays with max protection. Their o-line wasn't exactly amazing.
Right. I'm comparing it to last time when we ate them up.

DragonSoul
02-09-2012, 02:02 AM

Discuss?
There were a couple plays I didn't like. Same for offense. But thats much different then what we saw earlier and midway through the season.

And obviously you typically will not agree with everyone on everything anyway.

They both did a very good job.

G-Men4Supes
02-09-2012, 02:30 AM
It's still amazing that the Giants turned the D around at the end of the season and allowed opponents an average of 14 points over the last 6 games. Never saw that coming.

DragonSoul
02-09-2012, 02:31 AM
It's still amazing that the Giants turned the D around at the end of the season and allowed opponents an average of 14 points over the last 6 games.* Never saw that coming.
Helps when the get healthy

dave56dj
02-09-2012, 03:09 AM
Cosell makes a great point - brady is at his best in rhythm - as are many qb's but guys like Big ben, eli to some extent, rogers and vick are just as sharp if not sharper when plays break down. The Giants bracketed so much in the middle that at times some of the quick rhythm routes weren't available.

That said brady set the record for consecutive completions so its not as if he didn't do anything. The lack of a deep threat is the achilees heel of that o. And while collinsworth kept saying the giants weren't allowing the deep ball - playing cover 2 shell that wasn't so accurate. Their was a lot of cover 1 and often the fact is the pats just werent sending guys downfield (7 step drops) and weren't winning when they did.

Giants also tackled well on the shorter routes and the pats rarely had an answer outside the hash marks - other then the one ball to Ocho Done-O. Gronk 's injury definitely hurt cause he can get deep into a zones seams as welker and hernandez did a couple times but with all our injuries no one cares that gronk didnt play.

I thought the Defensive plan was sound. Credit to fewell - I too was shocked to see so much Chase I thought we'd get a heavy does of J will in coverage - good for Perry in knowing his guys.

calzonesays
02-09-2012, 03:25 AM
got torched in the 2nd quarter but seemed to adjust well at halftime.

TuckYou
02-09-2012, 10:46 AM

Discuss?

Right. I'm comparing it to last time when we ate them up.
</P>

Brady did a better job scrambling this SB then in 42. Brady could of easily been sacked 5-6 times, but scrambled out of a bunch of pressures by JPP, Osi and Joseph.</P>

nygsb42champs
02-09-2012, 10:54 AM
I think they held off our pass rush because they ran short patterns with quick throws.

G-Man67
02-09-2012, 11:04 AM
we did a great job of preventing big plays and making them drive the entire field ... when an offense has to earn every yard they get, so many things can go wrong ... penalty, dropped pass, bad throw, fumble, INT, sack, batted pass, defended pass, negative play, etc.

BlueJayC
02-09-2012, 11:14 AM
Don't have to read an article to grasp how well this D played throughout the playoffs.</P>

<FONT size=4>14ppg against Rodgers, Ryan, Brady and the #2 Seed Ninerssays it all......</FONT></P>

Kruunch
02-09-2012, 11:43 AM

Discuss?

Basically spot on but in my mind it was less of being a defensive genius and more about understanding how the lack of ANY vertical threat really limits your offense.

Had the Pats been smarter they would have run the ball more and played the possession game. But that hasn't been their MO and maybe BB is getting old enough where he's not as flexible as he used to be.