PDA

View Full Version : The Word LUCKY

AllDayEli10
02-09-2012, 02:59 AM
Holy sh*t, I've never heard people use the word lucky so damn much in my life. Giants were lucky vs GB, Lucky @ SF, Lucky in Super Bowl. Blah blah blah shut up already. Give credit when credit due. Damn!!!

look@dafilm
02-09-2012, 03:06 AM
If it looks like a duck, sounds like a duck, and acts like a duck...

It's probably Eli "aw shucks" Manning :)

dave56dj
02-09-2012, 03:16 AM
Ah luck lets take a look.

Evans drops a ball in the end zone - cundiff misses a gimme.

San Fran has highest turnover ratio in league.

We say these teams are great, and giants got LUCKY? Sometimes the ball bounces your way for sure - but on what were two of the biggest plays of the game Welker and Brady didnt execute - mario and eli did, thats EXECUTION.

Still ab's ball bounced are way and so did hakeems - there is no reason to apologize just as the pats didnt for cundiffs miss and the 49ers didn't for the +20 all year.

Where was our luck in the GB game when the refs were handing it back to the pack over and over? Where was our luck against atlanta as we thrashed them.

Yep we got a few bounces - every tema in the league did at some point - thats football - but we made a helluva a lot of plays as well.

calzonesays
02-09-2012, 03:21 AM
Saints had a ridiculous +turnover margin in their SB season, GB had ridiculous turnover margins in their SB season and only got into the playoffs because of the DeSean Jackson punt return vs. the Giants.

SF got the Saints to fumble how many times? 4? How come 49ers forced fumbles are considered skill and the Giants forced fumbles are luck?

I think the media is salty the Giants have won 2 SBs in 4 years.

TheEnigma
02-09-2012, 03:23 AM
Yep we got a few bounces - every tema in the league did at some point - thats football - but we made a helluva a lot of plays as well.After the 2010 season with some of those tipped passes turning into Ints and opening 2011 with the injuries we had, I think we kinda deserved a little luck. Not to mention the brutal schedule as well.

A ball bouncing in an odd direction and into the hands of the opponent can sort of be argued.

Stuff like 12 men on the field that negates a turnover can't though because that's simply a player/coaching error on not clarifying who is supposed to be out there.

tikiandphil
02-09-2012, 03:28 AM
Holy sh*t, I've never heard people use the word lucky so damn much in my life. Giants were lucky vs GB, Lucky @ SF, Lucky in Super Bowl. Blah blah blah shut up already. Give credit when credit due. Damn!!!

There is always an element of luck when you get to and then win a Superbowl. But in 3 playoff games and a Superbowl the Giants held their opponents scoring to an average of 14 points. That is not luck.
I noticed a lot of dropped passes as well in this run but after looking back at the games I feel it came from the pressure and hard hitting as much as luck. Let it go. The Giants were the best
football team in the NFL for the last 2 weeks of regulation and the hottest team playing as one unit in the layoffs.

bflo23
02-09-2012, 04:04 AM
Would you trade Alex Smith for Eli Manning?

I think Alex Smith belongs in the all time QB busts with Joey Harrington, Rick Mirer, Heath Shuler, Tim Couch, Akili Smith, Jamarcus Russel, David Carr and Ryan Leaf.

87Spider91
02-09-2012, 04:30 AM
Come on guys. We were lucky when they called Boothe for holding and you know it..

To be a great team, like the Giants, you have to score more point through skill to offset any unlucky situations. Lesser teams like SF and NE failed to do that. Giants are clutch, the true mark of a Championship team.

I like how idiots like Look@TheFilm says there were 2 muffs by Kyle W when there was only one. 1st one, are skill and alertness recovered the muff and the 2nd we skillfully stripped it. You know, things that SF brags about until it happens to them.

NE says we fumbled 3 times and if they didn't have 12 men on the field they would have recovered one.That's just stupid because without the extra man on the field we don't fumble and/or it's not recovered by NE. Stats show only 2 fumbles. We alertly, through practice, recovered the only 2 fumbles.

Bunch of jerks s'all

giantsfan420
02-09-2012, 04:47 AM
Would you trade Alex Smith for Eli Manning?

I think Alex Smith belongs in the all time QB busts with Joey Harrington, Rick Mirer, Heath Shuler, Tim Couch, Akili Smith, Jamarcus Russel, David Carr and Ryan Leaf.

you know your a bust when 3000 yards and 17 touchdowns is your best season by far, lmfao.

GMen869007
02-09-2012, 05:23 AM
Some of this so called "luck" is poor execution and fundamentals by the opposition, which has nothing to do with luck.

I mean, the Giants beat the 15-1 defending Super Bowl Champions, and yes, they dropped a lot of passes, but is that a team that really deserves to win? Furthermore, the Giants got screwed on several costly penalties and still won the game rather easily.

As for the Patriots, sure, Welker dropped what would've put the game away, but earlier on we got screwed on a phantom holding call that negated a big first down that would've given us momentum and put us in scoring range where we likely would've extended our early lead. Wilfork even tells the refs that it's "a bad call" when asked about it by the refs in the Sound FX program on NFL Network.

NYG4ME
02-09-2012, 05:33 AM
It depends on how you use it.. There isn't a championship team in the history of sports that didnt get "lucky" and have some things go their way. This run wasn't a fluke. Don't misconstrue the two, thats usually what people mean when they say we got "lucky" Our playoffs started in December. 2 weeks before everyone else's did. We ripped off 6 wins in a row after looking about as bad as anyone could look against the lowly washington redskins. Let people say whatever they want, At the end of the day it dont mean a thing unless you got the ring.. Guess who has the ring?

BlueJayC
02-09-2012, 10:53 AM
<FONT size=4>LUCK IS WHERE OPPORTUNITY MEETS PREPARATION</FONT>.....period. There no mystical elements to it.....it's being in the right place because you are supposed to be there.....it's recovering a loose ball on the first try.....it's completing a 3rd and 15 for a TD in San Fran despite a bogus hold call......the opprotunity was there and their preparation allowed them to seize it where others failed......so yes the GIANTS were damn well prepared......damn well opportunistic.....and because of both damn lucky......

nygsb42champs
02-09-2012, 10:55 AM
All that matters is we have the trophy!

CantBlameShockeyNow
02-09-2012, 10:57 AM
"Lucky" is not being caught for blatant cheating until AFTER you have won 3 SBs!

miked1958
02-09-2012, 11:06 AM
If it looks like a duck, sounds like a duck, and acts like a duck...

It's probably Eli "aw shucks" Manning :)

These talking heads have been proven wrong so many times they have no choice to explain away their mistakes on on far they would go is to say they were lucky

TuckYou
02-09-2012, 11:14 AM
Lucky is being a Giants fan in this Era. Giants have not had a losing season since Eli's rookie year 8 seasons ago. Lucky is being able to watch Eli lead comeback after comeback, year after year. From his first career win in Dallas in 04' to the Bronco comeback, to the Eagles comeback, to the Superbowl comebacks. </P>

We are lucky. </P>

</P>

JDE123
02-09-2012, 11:24 AM
I haven't heard a single credible person say the Giants were "lucky to win." If they're out there, but all means lets hear some names.

If you're getting upset because people are saying the Giants had "luck on their side" then you're being too sensitive.

CDN_G-FAN
02-09-2012, 11:25 AM
"LUCK" is what you say when you can't accept defeat, and certainly don't want to accept that there's something wrong with your team.</P>

And its used by opposing team's fans on here, and they can't back it up.</P>

Also,i have noticed that the definition of 'luck' has expanded to include dropped passes, fumbles, injuries, basically any lack of execution or flaw in your team. </P>

It's amazing how much 'luck' covers these days!!!!</P>

For those of us that have been around, remember when we lost to the Eagles last year?</P>

21 points in under 5 minutes?</P>

Do you recall, at any point in time, us referring to the eagles as being 'lucky'?</P>

Of course not, we turned our attention to our team and pointed out all the ways in which they lost a game they should have won.</P>

Giants fans refuse to fluff their teams, we know the difference between luck and simply not good enough.</P>

freeoscar
02-09-2012, 11:36 AM
this is today's NFL. there are no dominant teams - I think only the '09 Saints was an NFC #1 team that made, let alone won, the SB in the past 10yrs. The teams are so close that one play here or there determines who makes the playoffs, and then who wins most of the games. So it all comes down to making the most of the breaks you get. We only remember the breaks the winner got b/c the loser didn't take advantage of them. These things tend to even out - the Giants are the most obvious example: 10-6 last year, miss the playoffs on tiebreakers. One made play in the Eagles game and they make it, Packers miss, and no SB for them.
9-7 this year, one made Romo-Austin catch and they miss. It is just that close. The key is to be good enough so that you are in it, and then execute well enough to take advantage of the mistakes.

appletree943
02-09-2012, 11:36 AM
"LUCK" is what you say when you can't accept defeat, and certainly don't want to accept that there's something wrong with your team.</p>

And its used by opposing team's fans on here, and they can't back it up.</p>

Also,i have noticed that the definition of 'luck' has expanded to include dropped passes, fumbles, injuries, basically any lack of execution or flaw in your team. </p>

It's amazing how much 'luck' covers these days!!!!</p>

For those of us that have been around, remember when we lost to the Eagles last year?</p>

21 points in under 5 minutes?</p>

Do you recall, at any point in time, us referring to the eagles as being 'lucky'?</p>

Of course not, we turned our attention to our team and pointed out all the ways in which they lost a game they should have won.</p>

Giants fans refuse to fluff their teams, we know the difference between luck and simply not good enough.</p>lol yes i was here then

"so lucky Manningham fumbled on the sideline "

"so lucky Phillips Missed Celek on that long td"

all the same when ur team loses the word lucky gets thrown out there ALOT

CDN_G-FAN
02-09-2012, 11:45 AM
"LUCK" is what you say when you can't accept defeat, and certainly don't want to accept that there's something wrong with your team.</P>

Also,i have noticed that the definition of 'luck' has expanded to include dropped passes, fumbles, injuries, basically any lack of execution or flaw in your team. </P>

For those of us that have been around, remember when we lost to the Eagles last year?</P>

Do you recall, at any point in time, us referring to the eagles as being 'lucky'?</P>

Of course not, we turned our attention to our team and pointed out all the ways in which they lost a game they should have won.</P>

Giants fans refuse to fluff their teams, we know the difference between luck and simply not good enough.</P>

lol yes i was here then

</P>

dude!</P>

I don't know what threads you were reading.</P>

I saw maybe 1% of the 'luck' conversations, and they didn't last long because they got flamed by other fans who can't stand that crap. Seriously, the amount of fury for that loss completely drowned out any 'luck' discussions.</P>

there was nothing 'lucky' about Philly winning that game, not 1% of it was luck.</P>

And anyone who says that Philly was 'lucky' to win doesn't know football from knitting.</P>

</P>

TheEnigma
02-09-2012, 11:54 AM
One could possibly argue that the Giants beat themselves in that game but even then, that isn't luck. The Giants lost focus, played sloppy football, and the Eagles took advantage.

If only we had Weatherford that season, the Packers might of not went to the Superbowl :)

r1000
02-09-2012, 11:58 AM
I think we are lucky guys.. and this will be my one and only response I will give to anyone who comes at me with the lucky crap.

The NY Giants are very very very very lucky that there wasn't an NFL Lockout this season......THATS IT!!!!!!!

CDN_G-FAN
02-09-2012, 11:59 AM
One could possibly argue that the Giants beat themselves in that game but even then, that isn't luck. The Giants lost focus, played sloppy football, and the Eagles took advantage. If only we had Weatherford that season, the Packers might of not went to the Superbowl :)</P>

THANK YOU.</P>

We did beat ourselves.</P>

When you "beat yourself", you're not as good as your opponent.</P>

Philly was better than us. Giants fans trying to say different can't actually prove it, because the only evidence available is the final score, and it NEVER NEVER lies.</P>

appletree943
02-09-2012, 12:01 PM
"LUCK" is what you say when you can't accept defeat, and certainly don't want to accept that there's something wrong with your team.</p>

Also,i have noticed that the definition of 'luck' has expanded to include dropped passes, fumbles, injuries, basically any lack of execution or flaw in your team. </p>

For those of us that have been around, remember when we lost to the Eagles last year?</p>

Do you recall, at any point in time, us referring to the eagles as being 'lucky'?</p>

Of course not, we turned our attention to our team and pointed out all the ways in which they lost a game they should have won.</p>

Giants fans refuse to fluff their teams, we know the difference between luck and simply not good enough.</p>

lol yes i was here then

</p>

dude!</p>

I don't know what threads you were reading.</p>

I saw maybe 1% of the 'luck' conversations, and they didn't last long because they got flamed by other fans who can't stand that crap. Seriously, the amount of fury for that loss completely drowned out any 'luck' discussions.</p>

there was nothing 'lucky' about Philly winning that game, not 1% of it was luck.</p>

And anyone who says that Philly was 'lucky' to win doesn't know football from knitting.</p>

</p> and the dreaded we let them come back I saw tossed around I hate that word more

honestly thou you wouldnt call the pats lucky if the shoe was on the other foot and Nicks or Manningham dropped those passes near the end or even that 9ers game the way they lost

appletree943
02-09-2012, 12:03 PM
One could possibly argue that the Giants beat themselves in that game but even then, that isn't luck. The Giants lost focus, played sloppy football, and the Eagles took advantage.

If only we had Weatherford that season, the Packers might of not went to the Superbowl :) im surious why do people keep saying that my memory may be escaping me but I know Packers beat you guys the very next week

TheEnigma
02-09-2012, 12:08 PM

Also,*i have noticed that the definition of 'luck' has expanded to include dropped passes, fumbles, injuries, basically any lack of execution or flaw in your team.* </p>

Giants fans refuse to fluff their teams, we know the difference between luck and simply not good enough.*</p>

lol yes i was here then

</p>

dude!</p>

I don't know what threads you were reading.</p>

I saw maybe 1% of the 'luck' conversations, and they didn't last long because they got flamed by other fans who can't stand that crap.* Seriously, the amount of fury for that loss completely drowned out any 'luck' discussions.</p>

there was nothing 'lucky' about Philly winning that game, not 1% of it was luck.</p>

And anyone who says that Philly was 'lucky' to win doesn't know football from knitting.</p>

*</p> and the dreaded we let them come back I saw tossed around I hate that word more

honestly thou you wouldnt call the pats lucky if the shoe was on the other foot and Nicks or Manningham dropped those passes near the end or even that 9ers game the way they lost
Dropped passes aren't luck. It's failing to properly execute whether the receiver couldn't manage to make a catch, the QB threw the ball too high or too far to the side, or a combination of both.

Very few things do I consider to come down to luck and usually that's only when a football bounces in all sorts of direction as if it were possessed by a demon.

TheEnigma
02-09-2012, 12:10 PM

If only we had Weatherford that season, the Packers might of not went to the Superbowl :) im surious why do people keep saying that my memory may be escaping me but I know Packers beat you guys the very next week
Not sure how many Giants games you watched in the 2010 season but that line drive punt to DJax wasn't the only occasion in the season. He had a habit of doing line drive punts that would cost us a short field for the defense. Little things like field position add up and can be the difference between 0, 3, or 7 points allowed.

You'll have to excuse me since I dislike Matt Dodge with every fiber of my being as much as one can for a kid who wasn't a jerk but just a failure.

CDN_G-FAN
02-09-2012, 12:13 PM

lol yes i was here then

</P>

dude!</P>

I don't know what threads you were reading.</P>

I saw maybe 1% of the 'luck' conversations, and they didn't last long because they got flamed by other fans who can't stand that crap. Seriously, the amount of fury for that loss completely drowned out any 'luck' discussions.</P>

there was nothing 'lucky' about Philly winning that game, not 1% of it was luck.</P>

And anyone who says that Philly was 'lucky' to win doesn't know football from knitting.</P>

</P>

and the dreaded we let them come back I saw tossed around I hate that word more

</P>

we let them come back is more a figure of speech. it implies we did it on purpose, i think when someone says we let them come back they're cheesed they couldn't maintain their level of play.</P>

No, i wouldn't call it lucky. I'd want Manningham's or Nicks head on a pike. See, that's my point.</P>

Manningham dropped a pass in your comeback that would have given us a 1st down and more than likely taken enough time off the clock and prevented the comeback.</P>

that wasn't 'unlucky'. Unlucky implies you have no control over the outcome. How stupid is that?</P>

that was manningham being a freakin' bonehead and not coming through for us when we needed him most. </P>

And that's my beef. when guys throw around 'lucky', they mean they really have no control over the outcome, so its not their fault.</P>

the 49er 'lucky' claims are the most frustrating, because they should have beat us. Not because they were unlucky, its because they ran the ball down our throats all game and just magically stopped late in the 4th quarter. And Kyle Williams made it clear in the 1st half that he was WAY over his head as a returner in a championship game and his coach did nothing about it.</P>

and we took advantage of both boneheaded mistakes by their headcoach.</P>

blueomaha
02-09-2012, 12:15 PM
Holy sh*t, I've never heard people use the word lucky so damn much in my life. Giants were lucky vs GB, Lucky @ SF, Lucky in Super Bowl. Blah blah blah shut up already. Give credit when credit due. Damn!!!we're busted...the NYG was using "the force".....http://i892.photobucket.com/albums/ac122/peppi211/thumbnailaspx1.jpg

BParcells777
02-09-2012, 12:22 PM
there is usually a little bit of luck in every successful endeavor

when we beat GB (everyones top team) .........there was very little luck involved

byron
02-09-2012, 12:28 PM
time of possession ...I read some where we had the ball for something like 14 more mins...reality right there.....ecuses are what losersuse to make them selfs feel better and doesn't change the fact they are still losers

NomadGiant
02-09-2012, 12:56 PM
I guess they're right in a way, we were very lucky that certain bad calls didn't keep us from beating the teams we did...