PDA

View Full Version : VICTOR CRUZ: "I FEEL LIKE I DESERVE TO BE PAID MORE MONEY AT THIS POINT"

RoanokeFan
02-09-2012, 01:42 PM
VICTOR CRUZ: "I FEEL LIKE I DESERVE TO BE PAID MORE MONEY AT THIS POINT" (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/02/09/victor-cruz-i-feel-like-i-deserve-to-be-paid-more-money-at-this-point/)

"Last year, Victor Cruz (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/6313/victor-cruz)
earned $450,000. In return, the Giants received a franchise record for
receiving yardage, with 1,536 yards.

Next year, Cruz is due to make $490,000. He believes he should get more.</p>

Appearing on a special non-live edition of PFT Live, Cruz talked
about winning the Vizio Top Value Performer Award, which goes to the NFL player
who does the most for the least money. I told Victor that, several weeks ago,
finalist Matt Forte (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/4685/matt-forte) said
hed prefer not to be nominated for the award, because it means hes underpaid.
So I asked Victor if he thinks hes underpaid.</p>

I think I was paid, you know, relative to where I came in this year and, you
know, I came in as a free agent so thats the salary I was on, so I dont feel
like I was underpaid, Cruz said. I mean, I feel like after my performance
this year, you know, I feel like I deserve to be paid more money at this point.
But thats something Ill let my agents and those people take care of and Ill
just go out there and play the game.</p>

Hes right. And he has every right to speak his mind. Undrafted and
strapped in 2010 with a three-year deal that pays minimum base salaries, he has
now earned much more than that.</p>

That doesnt mean hes destined to become a diva. Ive interviewed him
multiple times now, and Cruz seems like a kid who genuinely appreciates what has
happened, understands how he got here, and wont forget where he came from. But
the Giants need to reward him for what hes done, and for what theyll
undoubtedly be expecting him to do especially if the team lets <a class="nameLink" href="http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/4654/mario-manningham">Mario
Manningham</a> leave via free agency.</p>

The full Cruz interview will be showing up soon in the right rail, by
clicking the PFT Live box. The interview also will be posted on
iTunes."</p>

G-Man67
02-09-2012, 01:45 PM
oh boy, sure he does, but jees ... well, i guess we should be glad that nobody waited to raid our coaching staff, but now we have the obligatory ... i'm a champ, i'm a stud, pay ME !!

WORLDCHAMPS
VICTOR CRUZ: "I FEEL LIKE I DESERVE TO BE PAID MORE MONEY AT THIS POINT" (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/02/09/victor-cruz-i-feel-like-i-deserve-to-be-paid-more-money-at-this-point/)

</p>

</p>

He does deserve more...and will get it. KID IS A STARRRRRRRRRRR
</p>

multiple times now, and Cruz seems like a kid who genuinely appreciates what has
undoubtedly be expecting him to do especially if the team lets <a class="nameLink" href="http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/4654/mario-manningham">Mario

iTunes."</p>

DVision
Cruz will not become a diva...his agent will!

titwio
02-09-2012, 01:46 PM
I was wondering when this was going to come up.

RoanokeFan
oh boy, sure he does, but jees ... well, i guess we should be glad that nobody waited to raid our coaching staff, but now we have the obligatory ... i'm a champ, i'm a stud, pay ME !!

It's hard to argue the logic of his position.

TheEnigma
Hold on to your butt cheeks gentlemen. The offseason has arrived!

Medisleman
02-09-2012, 01:48 PM
I feel like I deserve to be paid more money at this point as well, and if anyone asked me I would answer the question the same way. So I don't blame any player for answering that way.

RoanokeFan
02-09-2012, 01:49 PM
Hold on to your butt cheeks gentlemen. The offseason has arrived!

I just hope they do whatever it is they need to do behind closed doors.

DVision
02-09-2012, 01:57 PM

He is a stud, but I don't understand the money thing! I thought they got keys to the city! What do they need money for? /s

DaKraken
02-09-2012, 02:00 PM
He deserves more, and hopefully he's true to his words and lets the agents/FO work it out without any public (newspaper) drama. We know Reese will be smart and not fork over too much/too long for a guy with one season under his belt.

But I'm sure they'll do something, although renegotiations always set a bad precedent (Osi is watching closely).

RoanokeFan

He is a stud, but I don't understand the money thing! I thought they got keys to the city! What do they need money for? /s

Everything in this world is driven by economics

hadenough
Guy had a great year...I'd like to see him do it another year before money starts getting thrown around.

Nicks should be given money before Cruz.

Strahan4gov
02-09-2012, 02:01 PM
http://cdn2.odigger.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/teddy-kgb-pay-that-man-his-money1.jpg

Marvelousmik
02-09-2012, 02:02 PM
PAY DA MAN!

TuckYou
02-09-2012, 02:03 PM
Absolutely. And this is exactly why we will not resign Manningham. We cant. Cruz and Nicks are going to get paid. We will need to find our 3rd option, Barden? Jernigan? Hixon? Thomas? Draft? Cant tie all our money into one position.</P>

Cruz deserves a huge bonus, but an extension, mening he plays for his salary next season, then gets the bump in salary. He still gets a huge poprtion of guarenteed though to keep him happy. </P>

bansaw
02-09-2012, 02:20 PM
I think you have him play this year out as planned with promise of guaranteed coin late Dec or next offseason.

we gave him his shot, he owes us one more year at cost...thats the NFL

GameTime
02-09-2012, 02:21 PM
Guy had a great year...I'd like to see him do it another year before money starts getting thrown around. Nicks should be given money before Cruz.</P>

Nicks made 1.8M this season with his signing bonus. Next he makes 2.05M. He is getting paid.</P>

Cruz deserves a three year deal worth about the same as Nicks...</P>

bklyn1028
02-09-2012, 02:22 PM
Guy had a great year...I'd like to see him do it another year before money starts getting thrown around.

Nicks should be given money before Cruz.

+1

bansaw
02-09-2012, 02:24 PM
Bradshaw played his contract out...thats what happens when you go 7th round or undrafted

suck it up kid, there's lots of time to make bank...put in your dues and respect they took you on when NO ONE else was interested

bklyn1028
02-09-2012, 02:26 PM
Whatever happened to HELLO YOU HAVE A CONTRACT!!!. The guy wants more $, and it's understandable, but whoa for a sec. He played his heart out, and so did the organization by giving him a chance. Without the maras and tischs....and hixon's injury, he might be 4th string, or practice squad. Lets put everything into the right perspective. You can't pay everyone what they want. He played well, but that is why he was paid. I mean he got paid to catch the ball, and he did. He got paid to get as many yards after the catch, and he did. He got paid what EVERY other player in his situation got. Now he begins to come into his own. See what he does next year, and if he does the same, then his agent has a beef. Damn Nicks played as good as he did.

bansaw
02-09-2012, 02:30 PM
he's going to have to wait

Superbowls cost a lot against the cap when they have to pay out all the bonuses or at least they used to in the last CBA

wont be extra money for guys on decent contracts

Spizi
02-09-2012, 02:31 PM
He deserves a new contract when his old one is up and that's after next year. Let's see how he does now that he is well known and teams will gameplan solely against him and then see if he's worth it.

rebelfan1966
02-09-2012, 02:32 PM
I think he desrves to be paid more..... Let's face it, we would not have made the playoffs without him on the team.

hadenough
02-09-2012, 02:44 PM
Guy had a great year...I'd like to see him do it another year before money starts getting thrown around. Nicks should be given money before Cruz.</P>

Nicks made 1.8M this season with his signing bonus. Next he makes 2.05M. He is getting paid.</P>

Cruz deserves a three year deal worth about the same as Nicks...</P>

True...but that is his rookie contract. I wouldn't mind if they paid Cruz 1.5 mil a season. That's still a good price....just don't want them giving Cruz a big deal before getting Nicks.

nygsb42champs
02-09-2012, 02:46 PM
That did not take long.

GiantWarfare
02-09-2012, 02:47 PM
http://a.espncdn.com/media/motion/2011/0806/dm110806_sanders_speech.jpg
http://s.ecrater.com/stores/143707/4b5de0a72b802_143707n.jpg

raintheory
02-09-2012, 03:23 PM
I think you have him play this year out as planned with promise of guaranteed coin late Dec or next offseason.

isn't that what we did with osi and then he got hurt? i would hate for the same thing to happen to cruz and then when he asks for what he was promised we call him malcontent

raintheory
02-09-2012, 03:27 PM
ohhhh man people are starting to turn on cruz.

[:S] with popcorn in hand

bansaw
02-09-2012, 03:29 PM

isn't that what we did with osi and then he got hurt? i would hate for the same thing to happen to cruz and then when he asks for what he was promised we call him malcontent
you gotta play at least 2 years on a rookie contract, these teams would be broke the amount of one hit wonders in the history

not saying Cruz is that just you gotta pay some dues first

raintheory
02-09-2012, 03:31 PM

you gotta play at least 2 years on a rookie contract, these teams would be broke the amount of one hit wonders in the history

not saying Cruz is that just you gotta pay some dues first

i completely agree but if he gets injured all im saying is if we promise him anything it becomes a osi fiasco all over again and it just looks bad for the business format of this organization

Ruttiger711
02-09-2012, 03:45 PM

Superbowls cost a lot against the cap when they have to pay out all the bonuses or at least they used to in the last CBA

</P>

wow i didnt even think about thea cash counting against the cap - good point. I forget what Eli's bonus was last time, but he signed a new deal since so he's probably got a fat bonus coming. He should take that bonus and divide it by 3.... quietly of course. </P>

bansaw
02-09-2012, 03:45 PM
but we renegotiated with Osi already...after he played 2 years on his rookie contract

he chose his money up front and probably took a couple games off this year to balance out what he believed he's worth but it paid off in the end

Osi has earned and extension, hope we have the money

FUUFNF
02-09-2012, 04:02 PM
I read somewhere that Cruz signed a contract with IMG Worldwide (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/02/06/victor-cruz-new-york-giants_n_1258552.html), so he's gonna get paid regardless of what the Giants do... I think he plays another year on his current contract before he gets a lucrative extension.

Bigbluereckingcrew
02-09-2012, 04:09 PM

Roa, this is not completely true. While people definitively want what they are worth, the giants run from this year went beyond the $ figures, it was all about heart. It was inspirational and moving, to see a group of guys put all BS aside and focus on one goal. Economics go into forming a roster, heart and passion are what forms a team.

Now the Meagles over there in Philly, that is all paycheck players!!!!!!

JMFP2
02-09-2012, 04:13 PM
The Giants should rip up his contract and give him a fair deal.....it will save them money in the long run.

Ruttiger711
02-09-2012, 04:20 PM
The Giants should rip up his contract and give him a fair deal.....it will save them money in the long run.</P>

it would... the best bargain the Giants probably got was Tuck's deal before the GB game in 07... cruz already had the SB win under his belt... forget the SB, his year alone added zeros to his worth. </P>

sc_markt
02-09-2012, 04:25 PM
VICTOR CRUZ:* "I FEEL LIKE I DESERVE TO BE PAID MORE MONEY AT THIS POINT" (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/02/09/victor-cruz-i-feel-like-i-deserve-to-be-paid-more-money-at-this-point/)

earned $450,000.* In return, the Giants received a franchise record for

Next year, Cruz is due to make $490,000.* He believes he should get more.</p>

who does the most for the least money.* I told Victor that, several weeks ago,
hed prefer not to be nominated for the award, because it means hes underpaid.*

like I was underpaid, Cruz said.* I mean, I feel like after my performance
this year, you know, I feel like I deserve to be paid more money at this point.*

Hes right.* And he has every right to speak his mind.* Undrafted and

That doesnt mean hes destined to become a diva.* Ive interviewed him
happened, understands how he got here, and wont forget where he came from.* But

clicking the PFT Live box.* The interview also will be posted on
iTunes."</p>

He's worth more in my book.

bgblucru5656
02-09-2012, 04:26 PM

i find youre remrk humorous, but true. [:D]

Coach Carter
02-09-2012, 04:27 PM

Is it your money?

RoanokeFan
02-09-2012, 04:28 PM

Roa, this is not completely true. While people definitively want what they are worth, the giants run from this year went beyond the $ figures, it was all about heart. It was inspirational and moving, to see a group of guys put all BS aside and focus on one goal. Economics go into forming a roster, heart and passion are what forms a team.

Now the Meagles over there in Philly, that is all paycheck players!!!!!!

The GIANTS spent a lot of money before the new CBA, putting them in CAP hell where they still dwell. That's how we got the players we have. Sure , there was more to this season than money, but the money they paid out for players was the foundation and the rest was icing on the cake.

It's ALL driven by economics. That's not a bad thing, it's the free enterprise system.

bansaw
02-09-2012, 04:32 PM

Is it your money?what does that even mean?

RoanokeFan
02-09-2012, 04:33 PM

iTunes."</p>

He's worth more in my book.

It's not just his "worth" that's in play here. He is under contract already and he's being paid accordingly. The CAP issue is a real issue and it plays a huge part in how much everyone can be paid.

I'd like to see them extend both Nicks and Cruz, personally. But that's just not realistic in Cap Land. Cruz ins't crying poor mouth, IMO, since he has just signed a lucrative deal with IMG for endorsements. Part of his charm is his rags to riches story and he would be wise to keep flaming those embers. If he's patient, the GIANTS will reward him appropriately.

SRTtoZ
02-09-2012, 04:36 PM
Of course he deserves more than that, but he needs to play more than 1 season and dont forget, the Gaints gave him his shot to prove himself over other teams. Play out your contract, dont make this an OSI thing, you will get paid, dont worry about that.

davmac2BB
02-09-2012, 04:36 PM
Sorry Victor, but if I'm Jerry Reese I'm telling you. "I'll show you the money, when you show me you can do this two years in a row! Till then, take a seat behind Hakeem Nicks and Mario Manningham, and Osi!"

Remember people as great of year as he's had. This is is FIRST season. Jerry's not going to pour money into a one season wonder. Cruz has got to do it again. And if he does, then he a Jerry can talk in 2013.

davecrazy
02-09-2012, 04:40 PM
He earned it.

bansaw
02-09-2012, 04:42 PM
Bradshaw had to play 4 years on his with a 36,000 signing bonus

disappointed his first words after the glow died down was more money....sigh

bandwgn86
02-09-2012, 04:53 PM
He earned it.
he earned a big bonus.. or atleast should get one..one more year of production than talk contracts imo

Big Blue 418
02-09-2012, 04:55 PM
He earned it.
he earned a big bonus.. or atleast should get one..one more year of production than talk contracts imo

This . Give him a very nuce bonous and if he has another year like this rip his contract up and pay him . User Jacobs money on him since Jacobs will be gone

RoanokeFan
02-09-2012, 05:23 PM
Sorry Victor, but if I'm Jerry Reese I'm telling you. "I'll show you the money, when you show me you can do this two years in a row! Till then, take a seat behind Hakeem Nicks and Mario Manningham, and Osi!"

Remember people as great of year as he's had. This is is FIRST season. Jerry's not going to pour money into a one season wonder. Cruz has got to do it again. And if he does, then he a Jerry can talk in 2013.

First season or not, Crux is not "behind" Mario Manningham in production. You have to be realistic. Mario is expendable with Nicks and Cruz on the roster. Osi is not an every down player no matter ow good he is at rushing the passer and he's not the best one of those we have either.

Reese is going to handle these issues as he always has and, so far, that's worked out pretty well.

That "one season wonder", as you describe Cruz, is a big reason we made the playoffs

nyknstill!
02-09-2012, 05:29 PM
Victor said what anyone would say in the most politeful way. He didn't demand. He was ask do you deserve to be paid more.

He was the leading NFL WR in YAC, the 99 yd TD vs Jets started all of this. 400K or 490K is SEVERLY underpaid. You pay him now he's the type that is loyal.

You know what... just...

http://cache.sharenxs.com/images/wz/cabc/ag/ac/aj/bh/paytheman.gif

Redeyejedi
02-09-2012, 05:32 PM
JPP telling management to pay Osi whatever he wants.Cruz wants to get paid.The Giants have serious Oline problems and No cap room.I love the off season

foosball
02-09-2012, 05:46 PM
This has been coming. Nicks and JPP will be next.

BurnerNYG
02-09-2012, 05:49 PM

Hell no! What if he gets hurt? Pay the man!

nyknstill!
02-09-2012, 06:01 PM
I just heard him on ESPNradio w/ Kay and Legrecca. Just like I thought, I mean lets be honest $490K ? and he said hopefully they can get this done. He was asked the question, not making a spectacle, he's the trademark of team on that field w/ Eli and I see nothing wrong there.

Brandon jacobs
02-09-2012, 06:24 PM
I see based on money that, we will see some old faces but some new ones as well. let's look at the logic, We have won 2 SB's in four years and THAT attracts attention. I wouldn't be surprised if this plays well into our hands this coming off season.

Players want to play on a winning team. they will surely have the Gmen in their sights. I really think we can build and offensive line from our team and from around the league. same goes for the D-Line.

but this could go anyway for us, good or bad.

barran21
02-09-2012, 06:32 PM
Reese pay him before Welker gets paid, Wes is the best slot WR in the game and his contract gonna be the new standard for that position, so if am Reese i give him a new contract before the Pats over pay Welker...

RoanokeFan
02-09-2012, 06:46 PM
JPP telling management to pay Osi whatever he wants.Cruz wants to get paid.The Giants have serious Oline problems and No cap room.I love the off season

Reese will do what he always does and keep the players we NEED.

hungrrrry
02-09-2012, 06:52 PM
I don't think at this point the Giants should dump a load of money in his lap, however, I do think they should beef up his contract, now, by a million for each remaining year with the option to do a new deal if he backs up the 2011 year in 2012...Be fair to the kid now and he might not chew a hole in the Giants purse when the time does come for a new contract.

raintheory
02-09-2012, 07:08 PM

Reese will do what he always does and keep the players we NEED.

for once we agee and i honestly think, with influence of mara and tisch were going to need Osi unless we draft someone @ 32

Harooni
02-09-2012, 07:19 PM
It's no problem. Just lock him up to a 6 year deal this off season

fletch842
02-09-2012, 07:31 PM
I just heard his interview on NFL Total Access, and honestly have no problems with what he said. He was asked the question, didn't bring it up himself, and answered honestly, with no malice. I think he understands the economics of the salary cap, and will let it take care of itself. As RF said, if he's patient, the Giants brass will reward him accordingly.

NYGRealityCheck
02-09-2012, 07:34 PM
All in support of Cruz from me. He's not asking to be paid like Fitzgerald. He's just asking for a re-negotiated contract with a bit more money and/or more years.

He has deserved it bottomline. It's a shame if people are asking him to play for $490K next season after all he's done for the team and the fans this year and Reese won't be dumb about that either. If Cruz is forced to play next season on that, he's gonna run to free agency the season-after like he runs for TDs.

Then some people will go nuts about losing their favorite players to free agency as if they don't know money even exists.

I personally think he should be paid at least $700-900K for next season, but this is where we will put trust in Reese to do the right thing and settle this out with ease.

Don't worry Cruzzzz, you will get paid!

XxBigWhitxX
02-09-2012, 07:35 PM
PAY DA MAN!! shoot compared to other WR with the same or close to the same numbers as Cruz the Giants should be arrested for stealing.

kbusch22
02-09-2012, 07:40 PM
If I had to guess, I'd say Cruz ends up getting a deal similar to the one Jordy Nelson got from the Packers last offseason. 3 years, $12 million or so. It's a nice healthy paycut and with Manningham, probably Jacobs, and others off the payroll it's affordable. If Cruz puts up another huge year like he did this year, it can always be renegotiated.

TroyArcher
02-09-2012, 07:44 PM
He received alot of playoff money which should get him through the spring. He will be underpaid early in his career and if he continues to play well and stay healthy he will be overpaid near the end of his career.

Voldamort
02-09-2012, 07:49 PM
the Giants are going to have to make a lot of tough calls

NYGRealityCheck
02-09-2012, 07:50 PM
If I had to guess, I'd say Cruz ends up getting a deal similar to the one Jordy Nelson got from the Packers last offseason.* 3 years, $12 million or so.* It's a nice healthy paycut and with Manningham, probably Jacobs, and others off the payroll it's affordable.* If Cruz puts up another huge year like he did this year, it can always be renegotiated.

It's harder to re-negotiate contracts if they're expiring and the player and his agent has free agency in front of their eyes.

Might as well touch on the post after too. No player really expects to be overpaid near the end of their career. Yes, if he stays healthy, but most likely not and the probability of getting injured like with a torn ACL on the Giants is real. Players don't lower their contract demand for expected future injuries. It just doesn't happen. Basically, the future is unknown and players want their money now.

chasjay
02-09-2012, 08:01 PM
He has earned some monetary recognition for what he did this year. But he needs to show that he's not a "one-hit wonder" before he gets a long-term, big bucks deal. I'm not up on all the player compensation rules like some of you guys, so I don't know how that would be done - but in construction business terms, he should receive a bonus for this year's performance and an increase in next year's salary. If his production continues near the same next year, he deserves a big-boy contract.

NYGRealityCheck
02-09-2012, 08:05 PM
He has earned some monetary recognition for what he did this year. But he needs to show that he's not a "one-hit wonder" before he gets a long-term, big bucks deal. I'm not up on all the player compensation rules like some of you guys, so I don't know how that would be done - but in construction business terms, he should receive a bonus for this year's performance and an increase in next year's salary. If his production continues near the same next year, he deserves a big-boy contract.

"an increase in next year's salary" aka a re-negotiated contract and maybe that's all he wants. :)
I don't think they can just change(increase) the number of his last year of the current contract, which is a legal binding document.
They have to offer him a new one.

GameTime
02-09-2012, 08:10 PM
do what you have to do to bring his 2012 salary close to but not abovewhat Nicks is making and go from there.</P>

I have a feeling Cruz will be easy to work with...</P>

</P>

BeatYale
02-09-2012, 08:39 PM
I pay to watch the players on the field, not to watch the rich owner sit in the press box.

I usually side with the player when it comes to contract disputes because NFL contracts aren't guaranteed and teams rarely honor the contract throughout it's entire length.

The question is how much does he deserve for having 1 great season? A huge long term deal? How will it affect Nicks who has been consistent for 3 years now and had a monster post season? Who's a bigger priority to keep long term?

People will disagree with me, but that's fine. I think Cruz is a great receiver and will continue to be. However, I don't think his value will ever be as high as it is this off season. He had over 1500 yards and like 600+ yards after the catch, that kind of success is hard to reproduce. Next year teams will have 20 games worth of film to study Cruz.

Playing the odds. I'd say if he signed a long term deal today it would be higher than a long term deal he'd sign in 2013. Extend him for a year so his salary next season is on par with other starting WRs.

Just my opinion.

Rich4114
02-09-2012, 09:13 PM
The Giants will pay Cruz whatever it takes. I can assure you they will lock him and Hakeem the Dream into long term deals everyone is happy with. Why WOULDN'T they do that? The rest are going to be coming and going, but it'd be nice to resign MM for 3rd WR money. Problem is someone will give him #2 WR money because he is a legit #2 guy. And we can do that, we have Thomas, Barden, Jernigan, and probably Hixon to make #3. Could even resign Steve Smith.

FBomb
02-09-2012, 11:34 PM
As I said in another thread....Those of you who say we shouldn't pay him are being unrealistic. It would be irresponsible of Reese to insult Cruz by making him continue to play for league minimum! Would hate to see his loyalty to this team be in jeapordy when his contract is up. He may want to test the market. Keep the kid happy...pay him and lock him up!! He doesn't have to prove anything. You and I both knew the kid was something special long before he even touched a ball in the regular season. </P>

He was a crucial part of getting to and winning the SB and deserves a new contract.</P>

the_fish62
02-09-2012, 11:40 PM
Kurt Warner said Cruz will get a new deal when he shows hall of fame numbers.

The Notorious B.I.G BLUE
02-10-2012, 12:10 AM
**** that! I'm a huge Cruz fan but let's be real we need to see it again! You gotta prove to be more than a 1 hit wonder to ask for that pay day. Does he deserve spittle more...yeah. however the Giants would be smart to wait.

GiantLegend
02-10-2012, 05:41 AM
Call me what you will.

I'd rather have Super Mario than Salsa Cruz.

Yes, Cruz was amazing this year, but he was targeted alot. He's got speed, but there are a dime a dozen fast receivers. There were still times when his hands weren't so good.

If he's going to whine and cry about a raise and it's between him and Mario? Let him walk away, thanks for hard work.

Firenugget
02-10-2012, 05:46 AM
I'm not suggesting some huge contract, but the guy deserves more than 450k.

bansaw
02-10-2012, 06:42 AM
As I said in another thread....Those of you who say we shouldn't pay him are being unrealistic. It would be irresponsible of Reese to insult Cruz by making him continue to play for league minimum! Would hate to see his loyalty to this team be in jeapordy when his contract is up. He may want to test the market. Keep the kid happy...pay him and lock him up!! He doesn't have to prove anything. You and I both knew the kid was something special long before he even touched a ball in the regular season. </p>

He was a crucial part of getting to and winning the SB and deserves a new contract.</p>you pay this kid now and he's a one hit wonder, I'll bet ya

make him play 2 years on his rookie contract like almost every other player in the NFL has to

Bradshaw did okay playing 4 years on his rookie 7th round contract

GCGiant
02-10-2012, 07:02 AM
I think Cruz deserves a raise, but I think the receivers on this team would be foolish to not notice that receivers on the Giants will get the ball thrown to them if they are open. If they work with their QB to find ways to get open, they become pro-bowl caliber.

Ask Steve Smith if he wishes he could get back on the field and have a chance that the QB is going to find him when he is open.

giantyankee1976
02-10-2012, 07:08 AM
as the great JerseyGiant21 used to say, often, "Oy vey."

(She was a Legend on these Boards)

post edit

PAY THIS MAN !!!

bansaw
02-10-2012, 07:16 AM
who was the rookie breakout last season in the NFL

I'd like to see if he got renegotiated

bansaw
02-10-2012, 07:23 AM
Arian Foster was the last standout undrafted FA

he had to play out his contract....just saying

If teams paid guys big extensions every year they'd be broke

giantyankee1976
02-10-2012, 07:39 AM

valid point, what if they gave him an incentive laden "raise?"

my feeling is STABILITY.

Give Eli a stable cast around him for improvement's sake.

That and also Pass Protection improvement.

Then sustaining or upgrading the pass rush...

bansaw
02-10-2012, 07:40 AM

why not let him shut up and play like nearly every football player before him

giantyankee1976
02-10-2012, 07:41 AM

LOL, i was post editing when you responded. see my previous post for my additional comments.

bansaw
02-10-2012, 07:47 AM
Manningham has consistently made the big catch...had a few that make you ARRRGH but they all do
I really hope we can keep him but he does make Eli throw his hands up and stare so maybe there's more we dont know and he's not a priority, I dont know but I love watching him play

its like Toomer mentored him on the sideline catch, put 81 on him and you'd never know Toomer ever left
I hope he's back, he makes you shake your head in disbelief and shake your head in awe, just like Eli did so long...Manningham hitting prime right with Eli, be a shame to lose that

buddy33
02-10-2012, 07:54 AM
Everyone knows what he meant to the team this year, but I agree with others, we need to see more.

It's a team sport but I have to say that Manning and Nicks make the offense so good. Everyone helped, but the attention Nicks gets makes the other WR's better. Also, they have Eli throwing them the ball. Reese trusts his draft. Don't sleep on JJ. He was a rookie in a lock out year. Maybe they draft another WR this year.

Just saying, elite QB's can make some WR's look better. No doubt Cruz was incredible this year especially with his YAC. Just need to see more and make sure it's not a 1 year thing.

Can they give him big incentive money without it working against their cap?

bansaw
02-10-2012, 08:00 AM
you can, I remember them planning for a huge bonus to a TE that would never reach it ever...then use that money saved against the cap the following year, like a tax rebate.
but that all changes when you win the Superbowl because you have to pay all those incentives leading up to a SB win probably
then a guy like Diehl that I think made 10 games started at LT with a Superbowl start so that was 750,000 right there

gonna be a year of trying to level out some salaries, good luck JR [B]

Bigbluereckingcrew
02-10-2012, 08:34 AM
If I had to guess, I'd say Cruz ends up getting a deal similar to the one Jordy Nelson got from the Packers last offseason.* 3 years, $12 million or so.* It's a nice healthy paycut and with Manningham, probably Jacobs, and others off the payroll it's affordable.* If Cruz puts up another huge year like he did this year, it can always be renegotiated.

It's harder to re-negotiate contracts if they're expiring and the player and his agent has free agency in front of their eyes.

Might as well touch on the post after too. No player really expects to be overpaid near the end of their career. Yes, if he stays healthy, but most likely not and the probability of getting injured like with a torn ACL on the Giants is real. Players don't lower their contract demand for expected future injuries. It just doesn't happen. Basically, the future is unknown and players want their money now.

I didnt even consider the fact Cruz may hit FA, there might be a bidding war like an ebay auction for Jessica Alba panties.

Giants do have to be careful though, remember David Boston, one great season and than nothing....im am NOT saying Cruz is boston, just one example of one hit wonder player

GameTime
02-10-2012, 08:39 AM
Everyone knows what he meant to the team this year, but I agree with others, we need to see more. It's a team sport but I have to say that Manning and Nicks make the offense so good. Everyone helped, but the attention Nicks gets makes the other WR's better. Also, they have Eli throwing them the ball. Reese trusts his draft. Don't sleep on JJ. He was a rookie in a lock out year. Maybe they draft another WR this year. Just saying, elite QB's can make some WR's look better. No doubt Cruz was incredible this year especially with his YAC. Just need to see more and make sure it's not a 1 year thing. Can they give him big incentive money without it working against their cap?</P>

Nicks still deserves to be the highest paid WR on the team. If MM and Cruz want more they should get a little less then what Nicks is making. Of course that is easier said then done. </P>

CDN_G-FAN
02-10-2012, 09:00 AM
Everyone knows what he meant to the team this year, but I agree with others, we need to see more. It's a team sport but I have to say that Manning and Nicks make the offense so good. Everyone helped, but the attention Nicks gets makes the other WR's better. Also, they have Eli throwing them the ball. Reese trusts his draft. Don't sleep on JJ. He was a rookie in a lock out year. Maybe they draft another WR this year. Just saying, elite QB's can make some WR's look better. No doubt Cruz was incredible this year especially with his YAC. Just need to see more and make sure it's not a 1 year thing. Can they give him big incentive money without it working against their cap?</P>

short answer no.</P>

it'll either apply towards this year's cap or next years.</P>

He does deserve more, but what kind of negotiation do you start getting into with him? You say, ok $500k isn't enough. How about $1,000k until your deal is up? His agent says, how about $6 million until his deal is up, we say there's no way, he says that's what he's worth and you won a SB because he was here, blah blah blah blah. Then you have a chance of not being able to agree to a number and he has to play out his contract anyway.</P>

I don't know which is worse in this situation: trying to give him a 1 year raise and failing, or telling him to play out his contract.</P>

RoanokeFan
02-10-2012, 10:01 AM
As I said in another thread....Those of you who say we shouldn't pay him are being unrealistic. It would be irresponsible of Reese to insult Cruz by making him continue to play for league minimum! Would hate to see his loyalty to this team be in jeapordy when his contract is up. He may want to test the market. Keep the kid happy...pay him and lock him up!! He doesn't have to prove anything. You and I both knew the kid was something special long before he even touched a ball in the regular season. </p>

He was a crucial part of getting to and winning the SB and deserves a new contract.</p>you pay this kid now and he's a one hit wonder, I'll bet ya

make him play 2 years on his rookie contract like almost every other player in the NFL has to

Bradshaw did okay playing 4 years on his rookie 7th round contract

I'm not so sure one hit wonder applies to Cruz. He came out of the gate as an undrafted free agent and after the pre-season the pundits were looking to create some sort of new title to bestow upon him. Then he had the ham string, made an IR issue by Tynes ankle. He came back this year and, well let's say he did well. I think we can also say he is clearly one of the reasons we got into the playoffs.

What I like about Cruz is he's letting his handlers and the team work out the finances while he continues to play football. Reese has handled himself pretty well since being promoted to GM and I would expect him to do that here. I'd consider extending both Nicks and Cruz if I were Reese and the CAP space was there.

Who gets released is going to factor in to the CAP issue.

Voldamort
02-10-2012, 10:57 AM
Don't we all!! Jerry will be smart with the Giants money!! Back to Back!

nyknstill!
02-10-2012, 11:01 AM
Cruz is 25. A 6yr. deal locks him up. There is no way he can be a one hit wonder, one hit wonders don't YAC that good. He also was basically unguardable in the slot. Only different between him and Rio, is that drew the doubles. They doubled him all playoffs and he still effected the game.

The only fault I'd see is can he stay healthy, which if he doesn't the Giants cut his contract. This a guy being paid $460,000 a yr. he's just saying he deserves a raise, this kid's story of where he has come from, what he's faught to make it here, he now has a baby girl to provide for, he's just making sure he can provide. Victor isn't some limelight seeking money hungry dude.

bansaw
02-10-2012, 11:03 AM
490,000 next year

thats at least worth a look see at a good hard training camp. then talk...this talk right now is BS...he got suckered by the press, I hope he learns

nyknstill!
02-10-2012, 11:09 AM
That's really what happened. Eli had the same thing happen w/ Kay. I like how Cruz said he hates talking about this, and his tone was really honest, he's not use to being a star in NY but he reminded me of a young Jeter talking about his upcoming contract. In that he felt uncomfortable talking about it and rather let Reese and his agent figure something reasonable.

MattMeyerBud
02-10-2012, 12:00 PM

iTunes."</p>

this situation turns my stomach...

god we have to sign him, but at what price?

Mind u we are in cap hell

RoanokeFan
02-10-2012, 12:04 PM

iTunes."</p>

Which part turns your stomach? The lack of meaningful CAP space or that Cruz brought it up?

Tony Bruno
02-10-2012, 12:04 PM
Pay the man!!! He is def someone I would not want to see in another uniform!!!</P>

MattMeyerBud
02-10-2012, 12:08 PM

iTunes."</p>

Which part turns your stomach? The lack of meaningful CAP space or that Cruz brought it up?

the situation

what is he going to ask for? What will he accept? Will we be able to do it without losing another superstar?

If we do pay him, will we have enough for Nicks the following year?

Guy just put up Calvin Johnson numbers and got alot of media attention. SAYING you won't let it go to your head is different than actually letting it get to your head. Why does he think hes worth?

Does he think he can do this on his own? Does he realize it helps having Nicks? CAN he do this on his own?

I am cringing at the thought of losing him, Nicks, or some other stud

GameTime
02-10-2012, 12:16 PM

"Last year, Victor Cruz (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/6313/victor-cruz) earned $450,000. In return, the Giants received a franchise record for receiving yardage, with 1,536 yards.

Next year, Cruz is due to make $490,000. He believes he should get more.</P>

Appearing on a special non-live edition of PFT Live, Cruz talked about winning the Vizio Top Value Performer Award, which goes to the NFL player who does the most for the least money. I told Victor that, several weeks ago, finalist Matt Forte (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/4685/matt-forte) said hed prefer not to be nominated for the award, because it means hes underpaid. So I asked Victor if he thinks hes underpaid.</P>

I think I was paid, you know, relative to where I came in this year and, you know, I came in as a free agent so thats the salary I was on, so I dont feel like I was underpaid, Cruz said. I mean, I feel like after my performance this year, you know, I feel like I deserve to be paid more money at this point. But thats something Ill let my agents and those people take care of and Ill just go out there and play the game.</P>

Hes right. And he has every right to speak his mind. Undrafted and strapped in 2010 with a three-year deal that pays minimum base salaries, he has now earned much more than that.</P>

That doesnt mean hes destined to become a diva. Ive interviewed him multiple times now, and Cruz seems like a kid who genuinely appreciates what has happened, understands how he got here, and wont forget where he came from. But the Giants need to reward him for what hes done, and for what theyll undoubtedly be expecting him to do especially if the team lets Mario Manningham (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/4654/mario-manningham) leave via free agency.</P>

The full Cruz interview will be showing up soon in the right rail, by clicking the PFT Live box. The interview also will be posted on iTunes."</P>

the situation

what is he going to ask for? What will he accept? Will we be able to do it without losing another superstar?

Guy just put up Calvin Johnson numbers and got alot of media attention. SAYING you won't let it go to your head is different than actually letting it get to your head. Why does he think hes worth?

Does he think he can do this on his own? Does he realize it helps having Nicks? CAN he do this on his own?

</P>

I say he needs a boost in salary but he should make less than Nicks next year. Same with MM. Give a reasonable deal but under what Nicks is making. Nicks is still the better of the 3 IMO...overall as a WR.</P>

bansaw
02-10-2012, 12:20 PM
Manningham can make more than Nicks because its his second contract

MattMeyerBud
02-10-2012, 12:20 PM

"Last year, Victor Cruz (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/6313/victor-cruz) earned $450,000. In return, the Giants received a franchise record for receiving yardage, with 1,536 yards.

Appearing on a special non-live edition of PFT Live, Cruz talked about winning the Vizio Top Value Performer Award, which goes to the NFL player who does the most for the least money. I told Victor that, several weeks ago, finalist Matt Forte (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/4685/matt-forte) said hed prefer not to be nominated for the award, because it means hes underpaid. So I asked Victor if he thinks hes underpaid.</p>

I think I was paid, you know, relative to where I came in this year and, you know, I came in as a free agent so thats the salary I was on, so I dont feel like I was underpaid, Cruz said. I mean, I feel like after my performance this year, you know, I feel like I deserve to be paid more money at this point. But thats something Ill let my agents and those people take care of and Ill just go out there and play the game.</p>

Hes right. And he has every right to speak his mind. Undrafted and strapped in 2010 with a three-year deal that pays minimum base salaries, he has now earned much more than that.</p>

That doesnt mean hes destined to become a diva. Ive interviewed him multiple times now, and Cruz seems like a kid who genuinely appreciates what has happened, understands how he got here, and wont forget where he came from. But the Giants need to reward him for what hes done, and for what theyll undoubtedly be expecting him to do especially if the team lets Mario Manningham (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/4654/mario-manningham) leave via free agency.</p>

The full Cruz interview will be showing up soon in the right rail, by clicking the PFT Live box. The interview also will be posted on iTunes."</p>

the situation

</p>

I say he needs a boost in salary but he should make less than Nicks next year. Same with MM. Give a reasonable deal but under what Nicks is making. Nicks is still the better of the 3 IMO...overall as a WR.</p>

Guy just had a top WR in football year and is on 400k contract and is about to hit the free market after next year.

Your not going to give him less than a late first round pick money from 2008. You have to give him a real contract if u expect him to sign anything long term

MattMeyerBud
02-10-2012, 12:21 PM
Manningham can make more than Nicks because its his second contract

he will too

RoanokeFan
02-10-2012, 12:26 PM

iTunes."</p>

the situation

Let's look at everything he said before we hyperventilate [;)]

He was being interviewed and said he thought he deserved more money. He followed that by saying he was going to let his handlers and the GIANTS take care of that while he continued to play football.

SO, we have a player who didn't start every game this season break a single season record for yards gained and, I think was 4th in the NFL in that category. Suppose he had started ALL of the games? Does he deserve consideration? Of course. How much, when, and to what extent are the questions. Personally, and I said this weeks ago, I'd like to see them extend both Cruz and Nicks to long term contracts so they'll be with Eli for the next, say six years.

I'm not climbing onto the bandwagon that Cruz is a one time wonder. He's done too much to go there. He is gong to have to learn how to operate in double coverage now, and I am pretty sure he has the moves to make that happen.

I see Manningam and Jacobs leading the exodus. Not because I don't like either, but because we don't need either (this is me the businessman talking, not me the fan). There will be other players released and there will be attempts to restructure other contracts. The players who won't restructure will be released.

We aren't rebuilding, we're cementing the future IMO. We have two play makers in Nicks and Cruz and we need to keep them in Eli's stable of weapons.

Reese will find the right combination of rewards to get it done.

BigBlue1971
02-10-2012, 12:31 PM
I was wondering when this was going to come up.</P>

</P>

but i think we should expect this with the season he had! </P>

i would try to give him a good deal for 5-6 years if possible. after all he said he wanted to stay in New York.</P>

he also has talent!</P>

Firenugget
02-10-2012, 12:36 PM

The only logic I can fight your point with is this...If we lock him up for 4-5 years now, after only 1 season, we'd likely get away with not over paying. If we do wait and he is in fact the real deal, year in and year out we'll have to break the bank when he becomes a FA or let him walk. I think that's a lose/lose.

They should offer him a "fair" extension, nothing ridiculous by any means but more than 450k.

MattMeyerBud
02-10-2012, 12:37 PM

iTunes."</p>

the situation

He was being interviewed and said he thought he deserved more money. He followed that by saying he was going to let his handlers and the GIANTS take care of that while he continued to play football.

SO, we have a player who didn't start every game this season break a single season record for yards gained and, I think was 4th in the NFL in that category. Suppose he had started ALL of the games? Does he deserve consideration? Of course. How much, when, and to what extent are the questions. Personally, and I said this weeks ago, I'd like to see them extend both Cruz and Nicks to long term contracts so they'll be with Eli for the next, say six years.

I'm not climbing onto the bandwagon that Cruz is a one time wonder. He's done too much to go there. He is gong to have to learn how to operate in double coverage now, and I am pretty sure he has the moves to make that happen.

I see Manningam and Jacobs leading the exodus. Not because I don't like either, but because we don't need either (this is me the businessman talking, not me the fan). There will be other players released and there will be attempts to restructure other contracts. The players who won't restructure will be released.

We aren't rebuilding, we're cementing the future IMO. We have two play makers in Nicks and Cruz and we need to keep them in Eli's stable of weapons.

Manningham is gone. That was always to be true. Guy is not #3 WR and thats the bottom line. He is going to get paid WR2 money and maybe even more if he goes to a place like Jax.

I think your even off base as a fan. I think Jacobs has had some monster performances for us down the stretch. His ability to put a pounding on opposing defenses is still relevent to me. Plus the emotional factor. When have you ever heard defensive players say they feed off of a runningback of theirs energy?

Its almost unheard of.

PLUS, i know for a fact that Bradshaw's two biggest friends on the team are Rio and BJ. I think there is a chance BJ is gone - but I would say the Giants don't want him gone. He seems to understand his role more and I doubt we will be hearing the cries anymore. He is the PERFECT compliment back.

i think hes invaluable to the team.

bklyn1028
02-10-2012, 01:37 PM

Why? He got a contract just like every other rookie, that is the league minimum. Yes he had a great year, but so did a lot of other players. Do it for one more year, then he'll get a raise, but for God's sakes, honor your contract. He played well, but where in the world is he going to make $490k a year? He played well, and that is why he just got a HUGE IMG contract for endorsements....he played well and that is why he got a superbowl BONUS.

Don't get greedy Cruz...be a man..suck it up....one more year, just show you're not a flash in the pan.

I'd pay NICKS before I paid him. Nicks has proven himself to be consistent, Cruz hasn't because he hasn't had the chance.

bklyn1028
02-10-2012, 01:40 PM
VICTOR CRUZ:* "I FEEL LIKE I DESERVE TO BE PAID MORE MONEY AT THIS POINT" (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/02/09/victor-cruz-i-feel-like-i-deserve-to-be-paid-more-money-at-this-point/)

this year, you know, I feel like I deserve to be paid more money at this point.*

iTunes."</p>

Which part turns your stomach?* The lack of meaningful CAP space or that Cruz brought it up?

the situation

He was being interviewed and said he thought he deserved more money.* He followed that by saying he was going to let his handlers and the GIANTS take care of that while he continued to play football.*

SO, we have a player who didn't start every game this season break a single season record for yards gained and, I think was 4th in the NFL in that category.* Suppose he had started ALL of the games?* Does he deserve consideration? Of course.* How much, when, and to what extent are the questions.* Personally, and I said this weeks ago, I'd like to see them extend both Cruz and Nicks to long term contracts so they'll be with Eli for the next, say six years.

I'm not climbing onto the bandwagon that Cruz is a one time wonder.* He's done too much to go there.* He is gong to have to learn how to operate in double coverage now, and I am pretty sure he has the moves to make that happen.

I see Manningam and Jacobs leading the exodus.* Not because I don't like either, but because we don't need either (this is me the businessman talking, not me the fan).* There will be other players released and there will be attempts to restructure other contracts.* The players who won't restructure will be released.

We aren't rebuilding, we're cementing the future IMO.* We have two play makers in Nicks and Cruz and we need to keep them in Eli's stable of weapons.

Manningham is gone. That was always to be true. Guy is not #3 WR and thats the bottom line.* He is going to get paid WR2 money and maybe even* more if he goes to a place like Jax.

I think your even off base as a fan.* I think Jacobs has had some monster performances for us down the stretch. His ability to put a pounding on opposing defenses is still relevent to me. Plus the emotional factor. When have you ever heard defensive players say they feed off of a runningback of theirs energy?

Its almost unheard of.*

PLUS, i know for a fact that Bradshaw's two biggest friends on the team are Rio and BJ. I think there is a chance BJ is gone - but I would say the Giants don't want him gone.** He seems to understand his role more and I doubt we will be hearing the cries anymore. He is the PERFECT compliment back.

Amen to that. I would hate for Jacobs to be gone. I think Jacobs and Bradshaw compliment each other, I think they work extremely well together. Coughlin keeps saying there are no #1's or #2's on the team. Just tell Manningham there are not #1/2/3, just everyone working together. Share the wealth.

In '08 off season, Jacobs (aka thunder) got a huge contract, and we all know how he ran the following year. Thought he was twinkle-toes Walter Payton.

MattMeyerBud
02-10-2012, 01:42 PM

iTunes."</p>

the situation

Manningham is gone. That was always to be true. Guy is not #3 WR and thats the bottom line. He is going to get paid WR2 money and maybe even more if he goes to a place like Jax.

I think your even off base as a fan. I think Jacobs has had some monster performances for us down the stretch. His ability to put a pounding on opposing defenses is still relevent to me. Plus the emotional factor. When have you ever heard defensive players say they feed off of a runningback of theirs energy?

Its almost unheard of.

PLUS, i know for a fact that Bradshaw's two biggest friends on the team are Rio and BJ. I think there is a chance BJ is gone - but I would say the Giants don't want him gone. He seems to understand his role more and I doubt we will be hearing the cries anymore. He is the PERFECT compliment back.

Amen to that. I would hate for Jacobs to be gone. I think Jacobs and Bradshaw compliment each other, I think they work extremely well together. Coughlin keeps saying there are no #1's or #2's on the team. Just tell Manningham there are not #1/2/3, just everyone working together. Share the wealth.

Manningham is a FA though... hes not talking with words hes talking with money now

RoanokeFan
02-10-2012, 01:45 PM

iTunes."</p>

the situation

Its almost unheard of.

Wanting him gone and releasing him are two different things. We do agree BJ may well be history. It's not in stone, but I think the ink may be drying on the parchment.

Jacobs has had some great performances, but enough to pay him $4M? I love the guy and hope he retires a GIANT.

bklyn1028
02-10-2012, 01:48 PM

iTunes."</p>

Which part turns your stomach?* The lack of meaningful CAP space or that Cruz brought it up?

the situation

He was being interviewed and said he thought he deserved more money.* He followed that by saying he was going to let his handlers and the GIANTS take care of that while he continued to play football.*

SO, we have a player who didn't start every game this season break a single season record for yards gained and, I think was 4th in the NFL in that category.* Suppose he had started ALL of the games?* Does he deserve consideration? Of course.* How much, when, and to what extent are the questions.* Personally, and I said this weeks ago, I'd like to see them extend both Cruz and Nicks to long term contracts so they'll be with Eli for the next, say six years.

I'm not climbing onto the bandwagon that Cruz is a one time wonder.* He's done too much to go there.* He is gong to have to learn how to operate in double coverage now, and I am pretty sure he has the moves to make that happen.

I see Manningam and Jacobs leading the exodus.* Not because I don't like either, but because we don't need either (this is me the businessman talking, not me the fan).* There will be other players released and there will be attempts to restructure other contracts.* The players who won't restructure will be released.

We aren't rebuilding, we're cementing the future IMO.* We have two play makers in Nicks and Cruz and we need to keep them in Eli's stable of weapons.

Manningham is gone. That was always to be true. Guy is not #3 WR and thats the bottom line.* He is going to get paid WR2 money and maybe even* more if he goes to a place like Jax.

I think your even off base as a fan.* I think Jacobs has had some monster performances for us down the stretch. His ability to put a pounding on opposing defenses is still relevent to me. Plus the emotional factor. When have you ever heard defensive players say they feed off of a runningback of theirs energy?

Its almost unheard of.*

PLUS, i know for a fact that Bradshaw's two biggest friends on the team are Rio and BJ. I think there is a chance BJ is gone - but I would say the Giants don't want him gone.** He seems to understand his role more and I doubt we will be hearing the cries anymore. He is the PERFECT compliment back.

Manningham is a FA though... hes not talking with words hes talking with money now

All it takes in one catch. Hey tyree made that one catch and he's gone. Manningham has trouble with remembering routes. I personally don't think he's a #2 WR, just my opinion, maybe 2 1/2. Nicks should get the the #1 money. Damn, Eli made Cruz what he is. Do you really think if he was on another team he would be the receiver he is? He stated he was in shock when Eli was on his caller ID, for the mini camp at Hoboken High. He'd be a good receiver, no doube, but Eli had a part in what he became. Just my opinion.

MattMeyerBud
02-10-2012, 01:52 PM

iTunes."</p>

the situation

Its almost unheard of.

Wanting him gone and releasing him are two different things. We do agree BJ may well be history. It's not in stone, but I think the ink may be drying on the parchment.

Jacobs has had some great performances, but enough to pay him $4M? I love the guy and hope he retires a GIANT.

I think with the fact that we got bradshaw so cheap that it could be justified.

Plus his contract is up after this year... he may take another cut on the overall number for more guaranteed money

RoanokeFan

iTunes."</p>

the situation

Its almost unheard of.

All it takes in one catch. Hey tyree made that one catch and he's gone. Manningham has trouble with remembering routes. I personally don't think he's a #2 WR, just my opinion, maybe 2 1/2. Nicks should get the the #1 money. Damn, Eli made Cruz what he is. Do you really think if he was on another team he would be the receiver he is? He stated he was in shock when Eli was on his caller ID, for the mini camp at Hoboken High. He'd be a good receiver, no doube, but Eli had a part in what he became. Just my opinion.

If you believe Eli made Cruz then you have to believe Cruz has no talent. Eli doesn't give his receivers the ability to get open, that's talent they either have or don't. Cruz would be a # 1 on a lot of teams, regardless of who the QB is..

bklyn1028

The only logic I can fight your point with is this...If we lock him up for 4-5 years now, after only 1 season, we'd likely get away with not over paying. If we do wait and he is in fact the real deal, year in and year out we'll have to break the bank when he becomes a FA or let him walk. I think that's a lose/lose.

They should offer him a "fair" extension, nothing ridiculous by any means but more than 450k.

Fine, give him $475. Hey, there are and will always be Victor Cruz's. WE all thought Simms was the jints best QB....not anymore. OJ Anderson was the man in the superbowl...not anymore. Toomer was the man, now it's Nicks. And Tuck/Osi/Strahan were the men....now there's JPP.

Speaking of JPP, he had just the same incredible year as Cruz, I don't hear him!

bklyn1028
02-10-2012, 01:53 PM
If Reese gives Cruz a raise, Osi will go thru the roof, and you can't blame him.

RoanokeFan
02-10-2012, 01:55 PM

iTunes."</p>

the situation

Its almost unheard of.

I think with the fact that we got bradshaw so cheap that it could be justified.

Plus his contract is up after this year... he may take another cut on the overall number for more guaranteed money

The thing I like most about BJ is his obvious love for the organization. It would not surprise me if he went to Reese and said "keep me, and pay me what I'm worth to you."

MattMeyerBud
02-10-2012, 01:56 PM

iTunes."</p>

the situation

Its almost unheard of.

na, he was getting paid regardless if that play happened or not.

Hes already proven the past two years that he is #2 capable. Infact, he and Nicks were statistically the best duo in the NFL last year.

Not to mention that it wasn't that he was forgetting routes, it was that he wasn't as great on the run with our sight adjustments. But the dude has had PLENTY of big plays for the past 3 years. Not everybody runs the same offense as us, plenty of easier offenses.

The knocks on Mario have been ridic on here. I've been saying this for a while.

It was funny, i forgot who it was but a few weeks ago they asked me if i'd trust Mario in a big spot (or soemthing of that nature), I said absolutely because he is a major talent that is overshadowed by two other stud WRs.

He really got alot of Eli treatment actually.

RoanokeFan
02-10-2012, 01:58 PM

iTunes."</p>

the situation

Its almost unheard of.

Hes already proven the past two years that he is #2 capable. Infact, he and Nicks were statistically the best duo in the NFL last year.

Not to mention that it wasn't that he was forgetting routes, it was that he wasn't as great on the run with our sight adjustments. But the dude has had PLENTY of big plays for the past 3 years. Not everybody runs the same offense as us, plenty of easier offenses.

It was funny, i forgot who it was but a few weeks ago they asked me if i'd trust Mario in a big spot (or soemthing of that nature), I said absolutely because he is a major talent that is overshadowed by two other stud WRs.

Can you imagine if they manage to keep all three for the upcoming season? What would defenses do?

MattMeyerBud
02-10-2012, 02:00 PM
If Reese gives Cruz a raise, Osi will go thru the roof, and you can't blame him.

with what logic? Cruz just put up the bestnumbers in the NFL (except for CJ), will have his contract up, and is 5 years younger than Osi. Not to mention Osi got a front loaded deal with his new deal and has since missed 28 games while ending two seasons on IR and was benched by the end of the 2009 season

Osi deserves a raise, but he is not priority #1. And he also doesn't deserve the amount he was asking for.

MattMeyerBud
02-10-2012, 02:03 PM

iTunes."</p>

the situation

Its almost unheard of.

Can you imagine if they manage to keep all three for the upcoming season? What would defenses do?

i think with the eye Reese has for drafting young talent at the WR - it would be insane to do that

Keep in mind we may get Smith on the cheap or another talent on the cheap cuz its a big FA class.

Im not even totally against giving Devin Thomas a shot

bansaw
02-10-2012, 02:08 PM
teams need to spend money this year, it will be a big payday year

stop with the massive post quotes too ffs

Firenugget
02-10-2012, 02:08 PM

Why? He got a contract just like every other rookie, that is the league minimum. Yes he had a great year, but so did a lot of other players. Do it for one more year, then he'll get a raise, but for God's sakes, honor your contract. He played well, but where in the world is he going to make $490k a year? He played well, and that is why he just got a HUGE IMG contract for endorsements....he played well and that is why he got a superbowl BONUS.

Don't get greedy Cruz...be a man..suck it up....one more year, just show you're not a flash in the pan.

I'd pay NICKS before I paid him. Nicks has proven himself to be consistent, Cruz hasn't because he hasn't had the chance.

For nothing more than our benefit. Like I said in my last post

The only logic I can fight your point with is this...If we lock him up
for 4-5 years now, after only 1 season, we'd likely get away with not
over paying. If we do wait and he is in fact the real deal, year in and
year out we'll have to break the bank when he becomes a FA or let him
walk. I think that's a lose/lose.

Also Nicks was drafted, he's making alot more than 450k. In fact he signed a 5 year 12.54mil contract. Sooo I don't get saying you'd pay Nicks when he's already paid.

bansaw
02-10-2012, 02:14 PM
pays off going 1st round over undrafted I guess

bklyn1028
02-10-2012, 02:16 PM

For nothing more than our benefit. Like I said in my last post

The only logic I can fight your point with is this...If we lock him up
for 4-5 years now, after only 1 season, we'd likely get away with not
over paying. If we do wait and he is in fact the real deal, year in and
year out we'll have to break the bank when he becomes a FA or let him
walk. I think that's a lose/lose.

Also Nicks was drafted, he's making alot more than 450k. In fact he signed a 5 year 12.54mil contract. Sooo I don't get saying you'd pay Nicks when he's already paid.

Wow, you learn something new every day. I didn't know that, thought he was still on the league min.

RoanokeFan
02-10-2012, 04:07 PM

iTunes."</p>

the situation

Its almost unheard of.

i think with the eye Reese has for drafting young talent at the WR - it would be insane to do that

Keep in mind we may get Smith on the cheap or another talent on the cheap cuz its a big FA class.

Im not even totally against giving Devin Thomas a shot

Let's not forget we have Domenik Hixon on IR. I know he's been injured for two years, but, when healthy, he's a great utility player and the only real return threat we've had in years.

MattMeyerBud
02-10-2012, 04:10 PM
Hixon is a question mark... going down two years in a row iwth the same injury... bad news

I always loved hixon, but it would have to depend on how he recovers. I think theres a good shot we give him a chance, but I dont think we avoid getting somebody else because of him

Mod_C
02-10-2012, 04:20 PM
Hixon is a question mark... going down two years in a row iwth the same injury... bad news

I always loved hixon, but it would have to depend on how he recovers. I think theres a good shot we give him a chance, but I dont think we avoid getting somebody else because of him

Agreed, but he is the only return man we were able to count on for the last several seasons. All I ask is they bring him to camp if he's medically cleared.

GiantLegend
02-10-2012, 04:25 PM
Just heard a clip.

Sounds like a diva already.

Dude, you had a great year. One year. Walk away if you want. Any player can set records when they are thrown to that much and targeted downfield.

He's acting like he's the best receiver in the league the way he talked. Great, you had alot of yards and do a stupid dance. I'm not impressed. Show up for more than one year.

Mario has clearly shown he is worth the 2 spot. He momentarily lost that title this year, but I'd much rather have him and lose Cruz than keep Cruz and let Manningham walk.

Stop whining right after the Super Bowl. Terrible timing, and you haven't shown 2+ years of big play making.

MattMeyerBud
02-10-2012, 04:34 PM

Agreed, but he is the only return man we were able to count on for the last several seasons. All I ask is they bring him to camp if he's medically cleared.

yea i think they wil lgive him a shot, especially with the fact that u can bring so many players into camp now and his injury happened early in the year... hopfully he'll be back in time.

RoanokeFan
02-10-2012, 04:35 PM
Just heard a clip.

Dude, you had a great year. One year. Walk away if you want. Any player can set records when they are thrown to that much and targeted downfield.

He's acting like he's the best receiver in the league the way he talked. Great, you had alot of yards and do a stupid dance. I'm not impressed. Show up for more than one year.

Mario has clearly shown he is worth the 2 spot. He momentarily lost that title this year, but I'd much rather have him and lose Cruz than keep Cruz and let Manningham walk.

Stop whining right after the Super Bowl. Terrible timing, and you haven't shown 2+ years of big play making.

Mrs. Manningham, welcome to the Boards

MattMeyerBud
02-10-2012, 04:35 PM
Just heard a clip.

u'd rather have Mario than Cruz?

Your in the minority there my friend

RoanokeFan
02-10-2012, 04:40 PM
Just heard a clip.

This could be a first for the Boards, a SOLO!

MattMeyerBud
02-10-2012, 04:44 PM
Just heard a clip.

haha i mean i get what hes saying. If u don't realize that somebody is asking him a question and he has to answer it and if its portrayed like that for people to get annoyed...

but u have to realize the context in which it was said and what the question was...

theres no doubt he deserves more money.

But this guy does have a point about Mario. Cruz very well could be a one year wonder, who REALLY knows. I mean i wouldn't put a nickle on that, but it could happen. Stranger things have.

rainierjef
02-10-2012, 04:44 PM
after reading some of these posts, i find it funny that people are already turning on cruz. the same wide receiver you've cheered for throughout the season your bashing now, calling him an one season wonder, repeat this production for two more years then you deserve the money?

wow just wow. i love the giants organization just as much as you guys but i love the players as well and i side with the players cause its them that are out there risking injury to gets win for us, ballard and beckum down in one game nobody saw that coming this game is spontaneously dangerous anyone can get career ending or career hampering injuries, these guys just want to get paid before the organization we all love throws them to the way side for the sake of the ball club. its a double due sword but it seems like some of you are narrow minded and one sided smfh

continue debating dollars thats not your though =/

MattMeyerBud
02-10-2012, 04:47 PM
after reading some of these posts, i find it funny that people are already turning on cruz. the same wide receiver you've cheered for throughout the season your bashing now, calling him an one season wonder, repeat this production for two more years then you deserve the money?

wow just wow. i love the giants organization just as much as you guys but i love the players as well and i side with the players cause its them that are out there risking injury to gets win for us, ballard and beckum down in one game nobody saw that coming this game is spontaneously dangerous anyone can get career ending or career hampering injuries, these guys just want to get paid before the organization we all love throws them to the way side for the sake of the ball club. its a double due sword but it seems like some of you are narrow minded and one sided smfh

continue debating dollars thats not your though =/

we will be able to get him cheaper this year, than we woiuld next year, or the year after....

RoanokeFan
02-10-2012, 04:47 PM
Just heard a clip.

haha i mean i get what hes saying. If u don't realize that somebody is asking him a question and he has to answer it and if its portrayed like that for people to get annoyed...

but u have to realize the context in which it was said and what the question was...

theres no doubt he deserves more money.

But this guy does have a point about Mario. Cruz very well could be a one year wonder, who REALLY knows. I mean i wouldn't put a nickle on that, but it could happen. Stranger things have.

When he says "any body" could do what Cruz did, why then are we all in awe? Yes, he could be a one hit wonder, but I'm pretty sure you don't believe that to be the case and I know I don't. Mario has not been as productive as Cruz, its that simple.

Again, I hope we find a way to keep all three, but I am afraid that's not likely.

JDE123
02-10-2012, 04:51 PM
we will be able to get him cheaper this year, than we woiuld next year, or the year after....

I've heard and read this a few places and don't get it - let's say you pay him 2 million a year now because you're afraid that he'll be asking for 5 million next off-season, can't he just hold out a year from now until you give him the 5?

MattMeyerBud
02-10-2012, 04:58 PM

I've heard and read this a few places and don't get it - let's say you pay him 2 million a year now because you're afraid that he'll be asking for 5 million next off-season, can't he just hold out a year from now until you give him the 5?

The goal is to get him to extend and give him a nice and fair contract to keep him happy even if he ends up being under paid

Technically he could holdout like Osi tried to do, but the point is getting him under contract and locking him up...

He won't bicker about an extra mil a year 4 years down the line. If you let him hit the free market next year and other teams, teams with cap room, start bidding on him his price will SKY rocket.

Ruttiger711
02-10-2012, 05:00 PM

The goal is to get him to extend and give him a nice and fair contract to keep him happy even if he ends up being under paid

Technically he could holdout like Osi tried to do, but the point is getting him under contract and locking him up...

He won't bicker about an extra mil a year 4 years down the line. If you let him hit the free market next year and other teams, teams with cap room, start bidding on him his price will SKY rocket.
</P>

</P>

and players know that even if the bump in pay now is not what you command a year later... its still money NOW... injuries are always looming in the back of their mind... you only have to look as far as Steve Smith to see how bad it can turn out if you turn down a deal. </P>

JDE123
02-10-2012, 05:38 PM

Makes sense, but the more you're "saving" on him down the road the more reason he'll have to bicker at that time, right?

I'm not trying to be argumentative - I actually agree with you and hope they keep him happy, it just seems to me that the "long-term financial benefit" angle is somewhat dependent upon Cruz acting reasonably in the future which isn't necessarily a guarantee.

I may be over-thinking this.

da_mane_man
02-10-2012, 06:26 PM
yeah mort just talked about this on NFL32 and he said the cap will rise in the next few years and he would get more money if he waited out a year.

that being said, let's extend him now! lol

lnp12
02-10-2012, 06:57 PM
I think there are a couple of things you need to consider when looking at this situation.

First of all, I respect and commend Cruz for the way he handled this question. Similarly to Eli, he was asked a controversial question that I believed he answered in an honest yet respectful way. He didn't go off and say "Oh yeah man I want millions of dollars and I have no problem playing for a different team if they'll give me more money." He basically said his production this past season was worth more than $450k, and he'll let his agent and the Giants work out any logistics. Fair enough.

Now as to what the Giants should do...I think this is fairly simple. While I agree he should play out his contract to prove this wasn't a one season kind of thing, I'm sure Reese will give him a considerable bonus to show his...how should I say this..."appreciation" for what he did this season. The last thing you want is for him to become a FA next season and not feel like the Giants were "loyal" to him after winning a SB and be lured and seduced by some big contract from another team. We show that we trust him and want to invest in him; however, he still needs to show US that he's worth it. There, everyone's happy.

P.S. I'm not an idiot and I know this is much easier said than done. That's why I'm a fan and Reese is the GM [:)]

n420p69
02-10-2012, 07:00 PM
The man is right, he definitely deserves to get paid more. Pay the man!

NYGRealityCheck
02-10-2012, 09:08 PM

I didnt even consider the fact Cruz may hit FA, there might be a bidding war like an ebay auction for Jessica Alba panties.

Giants do have to be careful though, remember David Boston, one great season and than nothing....im am NOT saying Cruz is boston, just one example of one hit wonder player

i always enjoy a good discussion. If for whatever reason Cruz only becomes a one-hit wonder, the team has the option for trade or cut no matter the contract (unless there's a no-trade clause, which is non-existent in the NFL). NFL teams always have the advantage in terms of managing signed player contracts.

The players only have an slight advantage when demanding/negotiating for a new contract and signing bonus. That's about it.

I fully expect Cruz to do more salsa dancing for the foreseeable future for all Giants fans. I don't think he'll turn out into a David Boston. Cruz had to put in all the hard effort to go from undrafted to superstar all this time. :>

NYGRealityCheck
02-10-2012, 09:12 PM

He won't bicker about an extra mil a year 4 years down the line.* If you let him hit the free market next year and other teams, teams with cap room, start bidding on him his price will SKY rocket.

Exactamundo....