PDA

View Full Version : I love Eli, but Kurt Warner is kind of right...

dayeh33
02-09-2012, 02:40 PM
Lets be real guys, Until this year Eli has been somewhat inconsistent. Yes he knows how to perform when his team is in need of him to do so, but he is not a lock for the hall of fame just yet. If he continues to put up average Eli numbers for the next 5 years than he is a lock, even if he doesn't win another ring. Once again I love Eli and think he will eventually be a Hall of Famer but he still has a lot of football years left and its too early to make him a lock.

NYBlue10
02-09-2012, 02:45 PM
The only reason Eli is not a lock at this time is due to the length of his career, not his lack of consistency. Look at Warner's numbers season by season, he's much more inconsistent than Eli ever was.

NYgiants141
02-09-2012, 02:46 PM
Lets be real guys, Until this year Eli has been somewhat inconsistent. Yes he knows how to perform when his team is in need of him to do so, but he is not a lock for the hall of fame just yet. If he continues to put up average Eli numbers for the next 5 years than he is a lock, even if he doesn't win another ring. Once again I love Eli and think he will eventually be a Hall of Famer but he still has a lot of football years left and its too early to make him a lock.
</P>

</P>

100% agree. people are so quick to forget the many bad decisions he has made over the years and the many horrible games....</P>

</P>

Based on this year, he is a HOFer though. He still has work to do.</P>

Rudyy
02-09-2012, 02:48 PM
Also having one season doesn't lock you up for the hall of fame. I think he eventually will get in, no doubt iny mind, but just not from one season.

gmen46
02-09-2012, 02:54 PM

I would agree with this.

Right now, with his 2nd SB MVP win, he's on the cusp of greatness and POSSIBLE HOF.

As you suggest, I believe with 5 more years at MOST of what Eli has averaged his first 8 years--statistically, and with some post season games in at least 2-3 of those 5 years, he's certain for the Hall.

Although, given that he has continuously improved, for the most part, each of his first 8 years, it's conceivable he will exceed his "average" and produce more seasons similar to the 2011 season.

Savor every moment

gmen46
02-09-2012, 03:08 PM
The only reason Eli is not a lock at this time is due to the length of his career, not his lack of consistency. Look at Warner's numbers season by season, he's much more inconsistent than Eli ever was.

Exactly right.

His "inconsistency", while it has existed for certain, has been WAY overstated, in my view.

Zero losing seasons since he became full season starter, seven years.

One of only FOUR NFL (along with Brees, Peyton, Brady) QBs who has produced a minimum of 20 TDs / 3000 yards in the past 7 consecutive years or longer.

Plus, he's the first QB to lead an NFC team to appearances in, and victories in, 2 Super Bowls since Aikman did nearly 20 years ago.

How is THAT "inconsistent" or "not great"?

peytonkrug
02-09-2012, 03:12 PM
Let's give him another 2 years to prove consistency, but he's HOF in my book.

Moss#83
02-09-2012, 03:17 PM
This is stupid. Eli was never inconsistent. His 2010 numbers were an outlier.

Kruunch
02-09-2012, 03:21 PM

I agree that if he retired today he most likely wouldn't be a HoFer.

However I disagree with the consistency part ... he's thrown for 4K+ yards in each of his last 4 years. He's thrown about the same TD/Int ratio as he's averaged (last year seems to have been an abberation).

If anything, I'd say Eli is the model of consistancy with the caveat that he becomes a slightly stronger QB year after year (which is what you'd expect from a vet).

Few more years and he's a HoF shoe-in. Question becomes if Eli can put up enough stats and possibly more SB appearances to warrant a first ballot selection.

nygfanmaybe
02-09-2012, 03:38 PM
Re: I love Eli, but Kurt Warner is kind of...

...jealous

GmenFan1980
02-09-2012, 03:38 PM

I agree that if he retired today he most likely wouldn't be a HoFer.

However I disagree with the consistency part ... he's thrown for 4K+ yards in each of his last 4 years. He's thrown about the same TD/Int ratio as he's averaged (last year seems to have been an abberation).

If anything, I'd say Eli is the model of consistancy with the caveat that he becomes a slightly stronger QB year after year (which is what you'd expect from a vet).

Few more years and he's a HoF shoe-in. Question becomes if Eli can put up enough stats and possibly more SB appearances to warrant a first ballot selection.

This^.

davmac2BB
02-09-2012, 04:23 PM

Agreed. I find it funny the Warner went off on Eli's having 16 are more ints in 5 of his eight seasons, yet forgets that he's had 7 seasons (out of eleven) where he tossed double digit ints! The only difference between Eli's stats and Warners was that Warner had a higher completion %, which means that he was tossing swing passes to Marshall Faulk more than Eli was tossing swing passes to Ahmad Bradshaw.

SRTtoZ
02-09-2012, 04:43 PM

This is where Kurt looks like a moron because when asked if he was a HOF QB, he said "Yes", so if his and Eli's number at this point are comparable, and Eli has a good 5-8 years left in him, then he should be a HOF LOCK! The only thing I think is stilly is the entire HOF talk about Eli so early in his career. Let him play it out and see how it goes...

appodictic
02-09-2012, 04:43 PM
Warner has nothing to say over Eli manning. Eli manning has one thing warner never had. They are these things called testicles. Who remembers Warner on the giants?

Clean 5 or 6 second pocket and could not find anyone open? Take a sack. That was our main passing play under warner. The -5 yard sack because he did not have guts to fit the ball into a tight window.

The only thing that made his twilight years passable was having Fitzgerald, Bolden, and Brestin.

Look at what Eli just did with Nicks Cruz and Manningham Kurt.

Eli throws picks but he often takes risks and falls on the sword for the giants. Warner down by two TDs in the forth quarter packed it in every time.

appletree943
02-09-2012, 05:29 PM

Agreed. I find it funny the Warner went off on Eli's having 16 are more ints in 5 of his eight seasons, yet forgets that he's had 7 seasons (out of eleven) where he tossed double digit ints! The only difference between Eli's stats and Warners was that Warner had a higher completion %, which means that he was tossing swing passes to Marshall Faulk more than Eli was tossing swing passes to Ahmad Bradshaw.
lol@ the bolded

Warner is or was one of the most accurate qbs to ever play

and no it doesnt mean that

McNabb made a living off the screen pass to Westy and still barely hit 60%

Axels15
02-09-2012, 07:09 PM
I completely disagree with you. If you want to look at inconsistent, look at Warner's career.

If he is a hall of famer, like everyone seems to suggest, then Eli is as well

Husky
02-09-2012, 07:23 PM
It's not important if Warner or anyone says Eli isn't HOF worthy, including the HOF Committee What no one can take away from him is the fact that he'll go into league history as a 2 Time SB MVP. That's as many as Brady. So if he doesn't get elected to the HOF, he'll still be known for staging 2 difficult comebacks against a team with a future HOF'er. He's got the rings, and he earned them.

bert
02-09-2012, 07:29 PM
I have to agree with Kurt. I think Eli needs a couple of more good years and he will be Hall of Fame material.....

pino
02-09-2012, 07:31 PM
Imagine if Eli had Marshall Faulk...

Just saying.

Bones911
02-09-2012, 07:37 PM
I think right now Eli is ON TRACK to the HOF. Eli has had impressive games, playoff runs and has shown he is the King of the 2 minute drill.

Is he a first ballot HOF'er........ NO! But will he get in eventually after a few tries, if he retired today. Yes maybe. Rothlisberger has 2 rings and I do not consider him a HOF QB.

Now if Eli has productive years beyond this which I think he does. I think this is just the beginning for ELI. But if Eli wins 1 more super bowl in his career. Then YES he most definitely would be a First ballot HOF QB.