PDA

View Full Version : ARTICLE: Giants GM Reese expects some change

DragonSoul
02-09-2012, 08:19 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/New-York-Giants-Jerry-Reese-general-manager-expects-some-changes-020912

The New York Giants already started preparing to defend their Super Bowl title, just days after winning their second NFL title in five seasons.

See the best New York Giants action, or check out your favorite NFL team here.
General manager Jerry Reese said Thursday he expects a strong core of players to return next year, but cautioned ''there will definitely be some changes.'' That's no surprise considering 20 players are set to become unrestricted free agents in March.

''There's a lot of planning, a lot of discussion on guys and on salaries and where we can go and where we can't go,'' Reese said in a conference call. ''It's a lot of discussion to be had.

''But we'll be ready.''

The Giants, just 7-7 with two games remaining in the regular season, finished with six straight wins, including a 21-17 victory over New England last Sunday in the Super Bowl. It was the second time coach Tom Coughlin and quarterback Eli Manning beat Tom Brady, Bill Belichick and the Patriots for the title.

Chemistry and camaraderie were among the chief reasons the Giants were able to overcome a four-game losing streak and rebound to win the NFC East title in the last game of the regular season.

''Wins always make you love each other. That's the common denominator: wins,'' Reese said. ''Every team is different, every offseason a team changes, but there will be a strong core of our current players coming back. I can tell you that. But there will definitely be some changes.''

Only four of New York's starters will be free agents: tackle Kareem McKenzie, linebacker Chase Blackburn, cornerback Aaron Ross and punter Steve Weatherford. Wide receiver Mario Manningham, defensive end Dave Tollefson, defensive tackle Rocky Bernard, cornerback Terrell Thomas and safety Deon Grant are among the key players that could test free agency.

.Manningham, who lost his starting job to Pro Bowl wideout Victor Cruz, could get plenty of attention on the open market after making a sensational 38-yard catch on the Giants' go-ahead drive in the fourth quarter against the Patriots.

''We try to make good football decisions,'' Reese said. ''It would be great to make splashy moves in the offseason, but our goal is to make good football decisions and that's what we try to do every year. We don't just think about our personnel for the current year. We think a couple years down the line and that's important.''

One of the top offseason issues involves Osi Umenyiora's contract situation. The two-time Pro Bowl defensive end was a training camp holdout last summer, and had harsh words for Reese after not getting a contract extension.

Umenyiora is slated to earn $3.975 million next season in the final year of a seven-year deal he signed in 2005. He had nine sacks in nine games in 2011.

''We're in the early stages of the evaluation,'' Reese said. ''Osi is under contract. We'll discuss everything as a staff and we'll discuss all issues that could possibly come up for us and we'll come up with a game plan. We'll move on, day by day, and see how things work out for us.''

Reese said he expects tight ends Jake Ballard and Travis Beckum to start the season on the physically unable to perform list. Both players tore knee ligaments in the Super Bowl.

Reese praised the team's practice squad and suggested some of those players could fill voids at tight end and other positions.

JJC7301
02-09-2012, 11:37 PM
The offseason is going to be interesting. We'll lose MM, but I think we'll come out if more than OK. I believe in JR and that FO.

DragonSoul
02-09-2012, 11:42 PM
I can see Grant, BJ, Kareem, & MM moving on or retiring.

NWKEffectElement
02-09-2012, 11:57 PM

I could see BJ taking a significant pay cut to stay, but you may be dead on with the others.

I believe the top priorities besides MM are Weatherford, Blackburn, TT, and Ross. The OTs and TE positions are very important also.

JJC7301
02-10-2012, 12:12 AM

I could see BJ taking a significant pay cut to stay, but you may be dead on with the others.

I believe the top priorities besides MM are Weatherford, Blackburn, TT, and Ross. The OTs and TE positions are very important also.
MM's gone, but Weatherford, Blackburn, and either TT or Ross will be back. I think we can afford to keep Ross but I can't see both CBs coming back with Prince around.

I'm not necessarily letting McKenzie go either unless we pick his replacement in the draft. I can't see McKenzie being expensive. I'd rather get a LT in the draft -- I'm not big on Beatty, and Diehl is a back-up now or maybe a starting guard for 1 more year, max.

BJ and AB both need to take cuts in salary -- BJ is not the force that he once was, and AB is always injured. I'm not giving up on them, but they need to take cuts.

foosball
02-10-2012, 12:15 AM

Grant I think will stay, Kareem and MM are both gone, and BJ is up in the air. He's gotta take a huge pay cut. If he takes it he'll stay if he doesn't he's gone. It's up to him. He's not going to find a better situation anywhere else. Not at this stage in his career.

I think T. Thomas will be back, I expect Aaron Ross to come back, I expect Ballard to be re-upped, Kiwi is a guy they will have to address. I think OSI is as good as gone, but I don't think until next year unless a team is willing to give up a second rounder for him. The key quote from the article was where JR said he's looking two years down the road. That's when he has JPP, Cruz, and Nicks to worry about. That's when it becomes, sign them or they go, and which ones do you sign... They are all going to cost mega buck and this team already will have 15 million or so tied on to Eli at that point.

myles2424
02-10-2012, 12:46 AM
It's beyond why everyone has already wrote MM off as he's already leaving......
We just won the super bowl, this is a much more attractive team to play for opposed to others...
It's a very strong WR FA market.....
And HAM being a 3rd receiving Threat was huge part of our offenses success, Reese & co know this......

VBGiantsFan
02-10-2012, 12:54 AM
We just won the super bowl, this is a much more attractive team to play for opposed to others...
And HAM being a 3rd receiving Threat was huge part of our offenses success, Reese & co know this......

He's an over the top deep threat who is a strong number 2 WR on a team where he would have to be a number 3 if he were to return.

Expect him to fly right to the Jets if the Jets don't steal Stevie Johnston from the Buffalo Bills. They will pay

Unfortunately, the Giants just can't affor MM. They HAVE to sign Nicks and Cruz this year.

Redeyejedi
02-10-2012, 12:57 AM

I believe the top priorities besides MM are Weatherford, Blackburn, TT, and Ross. The OTs and TE positions are very important also.I dont see much of a market for jacobs in FA he is better off taking what the Giants give him and retire a Giant

Redeyejedi
02-10-2012, 01:06 AM

He's an over the top deep threat who is a strong number 2 WR on a team where he would have to be a number 3 if he were to return.

Expect him to fly right to the Jets if the Jets don't steal Stevie Johnston from the Buffalo Bills. They will pay

Unfortunately, the Giants just can't affor MM. They HAVE to sign Nicks and Cruz this year.I dont see anyway Manningham returns. i hate to lose him but this draft class is loaded with WR's. The Giants could wait till the middle rounds and snag a good 1

DragonSoul
02-10-2012, 01:34 AM

Unfortunately, the Giants just can't affor MM. They HAVE to sign Nicks and Cruz this year.I dont see anyway Manningham returns. i hate to lose him but this draft class is loaded with WR's. The Giants could wait till the middle rounds and snag a good 1per nfl
JR said that they will address the TE in FA or Draft. Figured that was coming after Beckum and Ballard.

Giants10Joe
02-10-2012, 01:37 AM
A lot of you are saying that if Jacobs takes a pay cut he will be back. I agree that he won't be back at his current price, but I don't know if it's as simple as him taking a pay cut. He might be willing to do that (or not, who knows) but the Giants might not want him back. His production has declined significantly to the point where they might be better off taking a running back in the 2nd or 3rd round and letting him go.

Toadofsteel
02-10-2012, 02:18 AM
Here's the two calls that i'd be making, with a lot of tears in my eyes because I really don't want to, but might have to, if I were in JR's position.

I think I'm the only one that would say it's time to cut Ross loose. It's a shame, he's a real good guy and an awesome CB to boot, but we'll have Terrel Thomas coming back next season, Webster is still trucking like a boss, and Prince won't be so green (and also not injured).

I'd also say that Chase Blackburn, for all the awesomeness he's provided this season, may have to go. We're going to be getting a glut of linebackers returning from IR (remember, we signed Chase out of retirement after so many of our linebackers got injured this season). If it weren't for the cap space, I'd keep him in a heartbeat. But I don't know where else we'd save money...

As for the ones that consensus seems to indicate: Yeah, manningham is going to have to go. We just can't afford him. If we can actually get a season underway with Hixon not getting injured, him and Jerrel Jernigan can work out who the #3 WR is going to be. I'd also say kareem is out as well (probably replace him with a mid-round pick).

JMFP2
02-10-2012, 02:29 AM
I guess I'm one of the few guys that sees Mario staying.</P>

He pretty much proved his worth in the Super Bowl.</P>

Bill Belichick's own words prior to that final drive say it all:</P>

"Don't let Cruz or Nicks get the ball. Make sure Manning needs to go with Pascoe or Manningham."</P>

Well, Manningham put a knife in the Patriots.....they've got to find a way to keep the best WR unit in the NFL intact.</P>

During a long stretch of this season, the offense was the only thing keeping the season alive.....and within the offense, the strength was the receivers. Manningham is one of the most important players on the team, in my opinion.</P>

JMFP2
02-10-2012, 02:33 AM
Here's the two calls that i'd be making, with a lot of tears in my eyes because I really don't want to, but might have to, if I were in JR's position. I think I'm the only one that would say it's time to cut Ross loose. It's a shame, he's a real good guy and an awesome CB to boot, but we'll have Terrel Thomas coming back next season, Webster is still trucking like a boss, and Prince won't be so green (and also not injured).

I'd also say that Chase Blackburn, for all the awesomeness he's provided this season, may have to go. We're going to be getting a glut of linebackers returning from IR (remember, we signed Chase out of retirement after so many of our linebackers got injured this season). If it weren't for the cap space, I'd keep him in a heartbeat. But I don't know where else we'd save money... As for the ones that consensus seems to indicate: Yeah, manningham is going to have to go. We just can't afford him. If we can actually get a season underway with Hixon not getting injured, him and Jerrel Jernigan can work out who the #3 WR is going to be. I'd also say kareem is out as well (probably replace him with a mid-round pick).</P>

I'd like to keep Ross and Blackburn.</P>

There is no guarantee T2 will be back at full strength. Ross was good down the stretch.</P>

If we have too many linebackers, then someone other than Blackburn needs to go. Our linebackers flat out sucked until Blackburn came back.....he's not the fastest, but he understands the schemes, and takes the right angles. He makes up for alot with smarts and hustle.</P>

Plus Blackburn shouldn't have a huge pricetag.</P>

RagTime Blue
02-10-2012, 02:34 AM
Here's the two calls that i'd be making, with a lot of tears in my eyes because I really don't want to, but might have to, if I were in JR's position.

I think I'm the only one that would say it's time to cut Ross loose. It's a shame, he's a real good guy and an awesome CB to boot, but we'll have Terrel Thomas coming back next season, Webster is still trucking like a boss, and Prince won't be so green (and also not injured).

I'd also say that Chase Blackburn, for all the awesomeness he's provided this season, may have to go. We're going to be getting a glut of linebackers returning from IR (remember, we signed Chase out of retirement after so many of our linebackers got injured this season). If it weren't for the cap space, I'd keep him in a heartbeat. But I don't know where else we'd save money...

As for the ones that consensus seems to indicate: Yeah, manningham is going to have to go. We just can't afford him. If we can actually get a season underway with Hixon not getting injured, him and Jerrel Jernigan can work out who the #3 WR is going to be. I'd also say kareem is out as well (probably replace him with a mid-round pick).

I agree that Ross is not such a sure-thing to come back. As the starting CB on a Championship team (and he made some important plays in the Super Bowl), he'll command the kind of money that JR knows he's not worth. Some other GM would love to have that influence on his team.

DragonSoul
02-10-2012, 02:38 AM
Ross seems to shine in big spots and more importantly both playoffs and SBS

OsiStrahan#1combo
02-10-2012, 03:11 AM
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/New-York-Giants-Jerry-Reese-general-manager-expects-some-changes-020912

The New York Giants already started preparing to defend their Super Bowl title, just days after winning their second NFL title in five seasons.

See the best New York Giants action, or check out your favorite NFL team here.
General manager Jerry Reese said Thursday he expects a strong core of players to return next year, but cautioned ''there will definitely be some changes.'' That's no surprise considering 20 players are set to become unrestricted free agents in March.

''There's a lot of planning, a lot of discussion on guys and on salaries and where we can go and where we can't go,'' Reese said in a conference call. ''It's a lot of discussion to be had.

''But we'll be ready.''

The Giants, just 7-7 with two games remaining in the regular season, finished with six straight wins, including a 21-17 victory over New England last Sunday in the Super Bowl. It was the second time coach Tom Coughlin and quarterback Eli Manning beat Tom Brady, Bill Belichick and the Patriots for the title.

Chemistry and camaraderie were among the chief reasons the Giants were able to overcome a four-game losing streak and rebound to win the NFC East title in the last game of the regular season.

''Wins always make you love each other. That's the common denominator: wins,'' Reese said. ''Every team is different, every offseason a team changes, but there will be a strong core of our current players coming back. I can tell you that. But there will definitely be some changes.''

Only four of New York's starters will be free agents: tackle Kareem McKenzie, linebacker Chase Blackburn, cornerback Aaron Ross and punter Steve Weatherford. Wide receiver Mario Manningham, defensive end Dave Tollefson, defensive tackle Rocky Bernard, cornerback Terrell Thomas and safety Deon Grant are among the key players that could test free agency.

.Manningham, who lost his starting job to Pro Bowl wideout Victor Cruz, could get plenty of attention on the open market after making a sensational 38-yard catch on the Giants' go-ahead drive in the fourth quarter against the Patriots.

''We try to make good football decisions,'' Reese said. ''It would be great to make splashy moves in the offseason, but our goal is to make good football decisions and that's what we try to do every year. We don't just think about our personnel for the current year. We think a couple years down the line and that's important.''

One of the top offseason issues involves Osi Umenyiora's contract situation. The two-time Pro Bowl defensive end was a training camp holdout last summer, and had harsh words for Reese after not getting a contract extension.

Umenyiora is slated to earn $3.975 million next season in the final year of a seven-year deal he signed in 2005. He had nine sacks in nine games in 2011.

''We're in the early stages of the evaluation,'' Reese said. ''Osi is under contract. We'll discuss everything as a staff and we'll discuss all issues that could possibly come up for us and we'll come up with a game plan. We'll move on, day by day, and see how things work out for us.''

Reese said he expects tight ends Jake Ballard and Travis Beckum to start the season on the physically unable to perform list. Both players tore knee ligaments in the Super Bowl.

Reese praised the team's practice squad and suggested some of those players could fill voids at tight end and other positions.

Is it so much to ask to draft a big offensive lineman or a LBer in the draft. Were always screaming for one every year but we manage to squeek bye with what we have. I feel like some of our key players (or important players, manning tuck jpp) could prob put their legs up and lean back and watch the play connect without doing so much.

Were always drafting a 3Rd or a 4Th round lineman or lber and say our giant motto "one of them needs to step up).

Cmon Reese. Your doing great but for godsakes.... get something we NEED for once in the first round.

Diamondring
02-10-2012, 06:51 AM
We have to look at the scheme the Giants use to evaluate every player. Osi wasn't the only threat on the D-line and 3 wr sets can complimanet each wr. Cruz didn't do things on his own and it is not good for players to get double teamed every year, so he needs to look at who's his teamates. Mario might be the man out if he wants more money but he also better look at who he has as his team mates. He has Cruz and Nicks two good wrs to compliment each other. I think that the Giants will need to get Osi's replacement and MM.

bansaw
02-10-2012, 08:33 AM
Osi still has a year contract.

I say let him sit most of camp, take 4 games off and have him chomping at the bit for another ring again
Play him like we did Strahan ... you know Osi is a Giant in his heart. just add some incentives on this year

nygsb42champs
02-10-2012, 08:57 AM
With so many free agents he is going to have to make some very tough decesions.

buddy33
02-10-2012, 09:08 AM
They just won the Super Bowl so of course everyone wants to keep everything the same. The reality is that it is impossible to do so. Unless for the 1st time in sports history all the players say they don't care about money an they just want to keep the team together.

Manningham is gone. Not because I want him to be, but he will get more money than the Giants can offer him.

I don't see teams giving Jacobs big money and he is not an every down back. He will need to take a lot less or be cut.

I don't want to see Osi leave, but I could see him being traded. He would only be here for 1 more year and if they could get a 2nd or 3rd round pick I could see them doing it. Saves them money and they like to build a team through the draft.

Then they have a bunch of guys that need to be restructured. Then they have a bunch of guys that where injured and should come back cheaper than they would have healthy.

The 2012 team will be different from the 2011 team for sure. Hopefully just not a lot different.

Mercury
02-10-2012, 10:50 AM
With a superbowl win, everyone's value goes up. Conversely, we have cap issues and are in no position to overpay anyone.

Guys may want to return to the Giants, but they will need to evaluate what they want more, money or the chance to repeat. Usually, those who already have a ring, opt for the cash. That's why you can expect MM to go where the money tells him to go. He will have a chance to be a starter and make millions, so you can't fault him for leaving when the time comes.

I think Tollefson and Ross also have more than a good chance to land a better contract elsewhere than we can afford to match. Blackburn even has a pretty good shot at it. He was pretty damn awesome since coming back.

And while we can hope guys under contract who already command big salaries will agree to restructure, there is no saying. They may refuse.

Should be a fun off season. I am looking forward to seeing what happens. I know JR will do a great job.

burier
02-10-2012, 12:25 PM
I could see Jacobs taking a pay cut and I could see Mario taking less than he's worth to stay.

I know if I'm a WR I'm gonna want to play with the top end QB and win championships over money.

DragonSoul
02-10-2012, 07:31 PM
I could see Jacobs taking a pay cut and I could see Mario taking less than he's worth to stay.

I know if I'm a WR I'm gonna want to play with the top end QB and win championships over money.That may be you & me, but not most, especially after winning a title.

We saw it with our former NYG players. Smith, Boss, Plax, Mitchell, Gibril and others leave or not comeback after they won it big.

BJ may or may not find work. So he may be cut then resigned for a lesser fee if there is no interest for him. He may take a little less for a 3rd ring.

While mario may comeback but I think he will go if he really gets a solid offer, and he might just get it. He has shown he can Flash since he has gotten here. Problem is, its a quick flash then some burn outs (mistakes) and then flash again.

Kareem will probably retire, or take less somewhere else (maybe here), same with Grant.

I actually like Ross. He has played well in big spots and X2 in the playoffs and SB.

Mario is gone

gumby742
02-10-2012, 10:21 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if we made no major signings this off season.

buddy33
02-10-2012, 10:52 PM
There will be no big name signings. They have to cut and restructure just to keep some guys on the team. The. There are the new guys they draft. They are going to lose a few and get some new faces in the draft. Any FA they get will not be a big name.