PDA

View Full Version : JPP during Woodhead TD (end of half TD)

dsd28
02-09-2012, 09:23 PM
Anyone else catch Fewell berating JPP on the sideline after the Woodhead TD for dropping into coverage? He was yelling at JPP saying "we got enough guys in coverage, don't need you to drop back." (not an exact quote but close enough)

After the play, Collinsworth made some comments about how JPP dropping into coverage hamstrung the pass rush. I figured that was the design of the defense, but apparently JPP screwed up.

I saw the exchange during the NFLN replay or the Inside the NFL game highlights last night (not sure which one now, watched both yesterday).

Brady had ages to throw the TD on that play. Perhaps if JPP rushes him, they settle for a field goal before the half.

Either way, we won! Once JPP can put it all together, watch out NFL!!

Drez
02-09-2012, 09:26 PM
Anyone else catch Fewell berating JPP on the sideline after the Woodhead TD for dropping into coverage? He was yelling at JPP saying "we got enough guys in coverage, don't need you to drop back." (not an exact quote but close enough)

After the play, Collinsworth made some comments about how JPP dropping into coverage hamstrung the pass rush. I figured that was the design of the defense, but apparently JPP screwed up.

I saw the exchange during the NFLN replay or the Inside the NFL game highlights last night (not sure which one now, watched both yesterday).

Brady had ages to throw the TD on that play. Perhaps if JPP rushes him, they settle for a field goal before the half.

</P>

Linval getting hooked by the RG helped a lot on that play, too.</P>

</P>

ELIteManning
02-09-2012, 09:29 PM
It is certainly possible. From the replay he was on one on one coverage at the line of scrimmage. if he would have kept pressuring he may have been able to push brady to his right and at least prevent him from sliding back to the left before his pass...definitely could have made a difference.

TuckYou
02-09-2012, 09:38 PM
We had 2 pass rushers vs 5 o olinemen. Tuck dropped back too.

bflo23
02-09-2012, 09:49 PM
<font color="#0000FF">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vA_2955m8aI</font> (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vA_2955m8aI)

Just a terrible defensive play.

The Notorious B.I.G BLUE
02-10-2012, 12:27 AM
Forget that did u see JPP get mauled on that Hail Mary pass. That holding was incredible!

jhamburg
02-10-2012, 01:00 AM
Forget that did u see JPP get mauled on that Hail Mary pass. That holding was incredible!

I'm fine /w that. Nobody wants a super bowl to end with a penalty. Unless someone gets tackled, no penalty...and that goes for PI in the end zone too.

Toadofsteel
02-10-2012, 01:08 AM
I still don't believe Fewell would actually say "more pass rush". I mean, come on, this is the guy that would drop all 11 guys into coverage if he could.

More blitzing packages next season please!

ELIteManning
02-10-2012, 01:09 AM

I'm fine /w that. Nobody wants a super bowl to end with a penalty. Unless someone gets tackled, no penalty...and that goes for PI in the end zone too.

You wouldn't be "fine" with it if they caught the pass in the endzone and won the superbowl though. Holding is holding especially when it is as blatant as that. I understand you may let a little slip by to let them play but you shouldn't allow a change in the outcome of the game.

giantsfan420
02-10-2012, 01:14 AM

You wouldn't be "fine" with it if they caught the pass in the endzone and won the superbowl though. Holding is holding especially when it is as blatant as that. I understand you may let a little slip by to let them play but you shouldn't allow a change in the outcome of the game.

yeah. and it wasn't a ticky tack hold. JPP ended up on the ground, guy grabbed his jersey after he was beat and rips him away from brady...

ShakeNBake
02-10-2012, 01:23 AM

</p>

Linval getting hooked by the RG helped a lot on that play, too.</p>

</p>

+1

RagTime Blue
02-10-2012, 01:24 AM
JPP is probably our best defensive player, but there's two things I can't stand that he does:

1. If he doesn't beat the lineman on his first move, he often stops rushing and shadows the QB looking for a deflection. This works sometimes, but it seems to more often just give the QB all day to pick an open receiver.

2. He almost NEVER gets any rush lined up at DT, and I don't understand how the coaches don't see that. As big as he is, it seems that he does his best work when he's got at least a little room to accelerate untouched.

Toadofsteel
02-10-2012, 01:27 AM
JPP is probably our best defensive player, but there's two things I can't stand that he does:

*** 1.* If he doesn't beat the lineman on his first move, he often stops rushing and shadows the QB looking for a deflection.* This works sometimes, but it seems to more often just give the QB all day to pick an open receiver.

** 2.* He almost NEVER gets any rush lined up at DT, and I don't understand how the coaches don't see that.* As big as he is, it seems that he does his best work when he's got at least a little room to accelerate untouched.

That almost makes it sound like he'd be a better linebacker than a DE...

Oh, and don't forget, it DID pay off in the SB with those 2 deflected passes.

jhamburg
02-10-2012, 01:27 AM

yeah. and it wasn't a ticky tack hold. JPP ended up on the ground, guy grabbed his jersey after he was beat and rips him away from brady...

JPP was never on the ground

Toadofsteel
02-10-2012, 01:28 AM

It should have been a holding call... if the pass is incomplete you just decline it

giantsfan420
02-10-2012, 01:30 AM

hmm i got to go back and rewatch it, i may have mistaken plays my bad if i did. i coulda swore tho that he ended up on the ground while the balls in the air.

jhamburg
02-10-2012, 01:39 AM

hmm i got to go back and rewatch it, i may have mistaken plays my bad if i did. i coulda swore tho that he ended up on the ground while the balls in the air.

I mean it was a clear hold, no doubt about it. But I really don't want to see penalties like that get called. I mean if it was the Giants with the ball and we made a miracle hail mary catch and they called holding to end the super bowl instead, I would probably quit watching football forever. Or at least for 6 months.

To take another example, let's say KP got flagged for a legit PI for going over Hernandez' back on the hail mary. NE gets the ball on the 1, Brady throws an easy TD pass. Personality I don't want to see games end like that.

OsiStrahan#1combo
02-10-2012, 02:00 AM
Anyone else catch Fewell berating JPP on the sideline after the Woodhead TD for dropping into coverage?* He was yelling at JPP saying "we got enough guys in coverage, don't need you to drop back."* (not an exact quote but close enough)

After the play, Collinsworth made some comments about how JPP dropping into coverage hamstrung the pass rush.* I figured that was the design of the defense, but apparently JPP screwed up.

Brady had ages to throw the TD on that play.* Perhaps if JPP rushes him, they settle for a field goal before the half.*

Either way, we won!* Once JPP can put it all together, watch out
NFL!!

That would have been nice cause I could have won 150$ if they didn't score or it was field goal. Both ways I would have won.

Thanks a lot JPP!.... :D

Firenugget
02-10-2012, 05:56 AM
As far as the Woodhead TD, don't forget how green JPP still is. He's still gonna screw up here and there. No biggie.

tonyt830
02-10-2012, 06:21 AM
Anyone else catch Fewell berating JPP on the sideline after the Woodhead TD for dropping into coverage?* He was yelling at JPP saying "we got enough guys in coverage, don't need you to drop back."* (not an exact quote but close enough)

After the play, Collinsworth made some comments about how JPP dropping into coverage hamstrung the pass rush.* I figured that was the design of the defense, but apparently JPP screwed up.

Brady had ages to throw the TD on that play.* Perhaps if JPP rushes him, they settle for a field goal before the half.*

Either way, we won!* Once JPP can put it all together, watch out NFL!!
</P>

Linval getting hooked by the RG helped a lot on that play, too.</P>

*</P>Thank You! I saw that as well. It burned me up, especially after that BS holding call on Boothe!

r1000
02-10-2012, 07:59 AM

*** 1.* If he doesn't beat the lineman on his first move, he often stops rushing and shadows the QB looking for a deflection.* This works sometimes, but it seems to more often just give the QB all day to pick an open receiver.

say whaaaaaat??? i have disagree with this on a extreme level... I love that he does that.... He's not going to get a sack everytime!! but by putting his hands up he is again increasing the chance of another loss of a down. He has to be the top player on this team with deflections this season..

nygsb42champs
02-10-2012, 08:01 AM
Every player is going to make mistakes. For all that JPP brings to the table a mistake once in a while is more than a fair trade off.

SackingMyths
02-10-2012, 08:02 AM

</p>

Linval getting hooked by the RG helped a lot on that play, too.</p>

</p>

I thought it looked worse live than after they replayed it, to be honest. I could live with no holding call there.

BUT...if you're gonna call that BS holding call on Boothe (of Wilfork), then you just can't swallow your whistle when Linval's getting held. Gotta call it fair BOTH WAYS

In yet another game:

NYG- 1
Pats &amp; Officials- 0

ELIteManning
02-10-2012, 08:56 AM

I mean it was a clear hold, no doubt about it. But I really don't want to see penalties like that get called. I mean if it was the Giants with the ball and we made a miracle hail mary catch and they called holding to end the super bowl instead, I would probably quit watching football forever. Or at least for 6 months.

To take another example, let's say KP got flagged for a legit PI for going over Hernandez' back on the hail mary. NE gets the ball on the 1, Brady throws an easy TD pass. Personality I don't want to see games end like that.

Is it the ideal way for a game to come down to that? No absolutely not. But fair is fair. If KP mauls a receiver and prevents him from catching the ball then guess what they deserve to get the penalty. It goes both ways. It shouldn't matter when it happens. Were you upset in week 9 when a defender mauled cruz in the endzone and prevented a touchdown and we got the ball at the goaline then threw the ball to ballard to touchdown to win the game? No because it was totally fair. This is no different.

GameTime
02-10-2012, 09:02 AM
I still don't believe Fewell would actually say "more pass rush". I mean, come on, this is the guy that would drop all 11 guys into coverage if he could. More blitzing packages next season please!</P>

the team is third in the league with sacks without heavy blitzting and still having the secondary getting beat with 7 in coverage. You want to blitz more?? Doesnt make sense...</P>

In this individualplay JPP was not supposed to drop in coverage (supposedly)....this has nothing to do with a lack of blitzing it has everything to do with doing "your job" in a given play.</P>

The whole reason the D got better in the 2nd half of the seasonis because they stopped trying to do the other guys job and just do their own assignment and trust the other players and the scheme.</P>

</P>

KillaRich
02-10-2012, 09:18 AM

if gronk catches you are not saying this

FIFTY6G-MAN
02-10-2012, 10:54 AM
I watched the replay like 10 times in a row. Whoever was supposed to cover Welker got smoked and JPP picked him up,Jpp stopped him from getting the TD at that moment but since Welker was in full stride already Jpp lost him and then Brady fired a rocket for the score. So what Im saying is JPP almost prevented the TD when he was out of position.

Voldamort
02-10-2012, 10:59 AM
He needed to keep coming and rush Brady,stop dropping!!

burier
02-10-2012, 11:06 AM

Either way, we won!* Once JPP can put it all together, watch out NFL!!

If you go back and look at the play again you can see that JPP got blocked and he reacted to that by playing coverage. (He basically got blocked into coverage.)

Now if JPP ends up in coverage and he gets an interception we're all talking about how JPP was playing above the Xs and Os yadayadayada.

RoanokeFan
02-10-2012, 11:11 AM

1. If he doesn't beat the lineman on his first move, he often stops rushing and shadows the QB looking for a deflection. This works sometimes, but it seems to more often just give the QB all day to pick an open receiver.

2. He almost NEVER gets any rush lined up at DT, and I don't understand how the coaches don't see that. As big as he is, it seems that he does his best work when he's got at least a little room to accelerate untouched.

He hasn't been paying football long enough to have a "move" and he's acknowledged that. What he does is pure physicality until he bets his man/men

jhamburg
02-10-2012, 11:11 AM

if gronk catches you are not saying this

Probably not. But let's put it this way- I'd be less pissed about losing the super bowl on a play that should have been a penalty than I would be about losing the super bowl where a penalty on the very last play cost us the game. I mean this is the Super Bowl we're talking about.

stomping
02-10-2012, 11:34 AM
<font color="#0000FF">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vA_2955m8aI</font> (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vA_2955m8aI)

Just a terrible defensive play.

From this angle, it looks like there's only 1 pass rusher. lol. Although in defense of Tuck, he dropped back but went back into a rush, sorta.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHoBHg9OvZc&amp;feature=related

DEgiants89
02-10-2012, 02:17 PM

dont worry, remember he has only played like 6 years of football in his entire life or something. Just wait until he learns the position. I want people like Tuck or Osi or someone to teach him cuz once he turns that talent into skill....WATCH OUT NFL

XxBigWhitxX
02-10-2012, 02:52 PM

** 2.* He almost NEVER gets any rush lined up at DT, and I don't understand how the coaches don't see that.* As big as he is, it seems that he does his best work when he's got at least a little room to accelerate untouched.
I've noticed it to.
I also noticed that he come off the line and pauses for a moment to look in the backfield to see if its run or pass which really slows him down. The old motto used to be "play the run while playing the pass."

I've also seen him drop into coverage numerous time in the season when he couldn't generate a rush.

As for him being put ad DT I was irate when I saw it in the super bowl. I thought we established that Tuck is the only DE who can make that move seamless.

JPP needs to work on his arsenal of moves a lot more. Seems he goes to the Bull rush and jab step too often.