PDA

View Full Version : Could Coughlin become a magnet for free agents?

JMFP2
02-10-2012, 02:47 AM
Coughlin's reputation has done a complete 180. </P>

His standing really rose after SB42....he went from a tyrant to someone who changed himself to meet his team halfway.</P>

But now, after SB46, he's in rare company. Really, you can make the argument that he's the best coach in the league - with all due respect to Bill Belichick.</P>

Now, he's being looked at like a John Wooden type of coach - discliplined, but in a good way, and also someone who is caring and motivational.

Obviously, this is a team that cares about eachother, and cares about their coach. And, the two biggest guys on the team - Tuck and Manning - are big time Coughlin supporters. So the locker room is poison free.

You've got to think there are some really talented free agents that might be getting into the sunset of their careers, but can still play, and will sign reasonable contracts to play for a winner and have a shot at a ring. I'm not talking about prima donnas....I'm talking about high character guys that could bring something to the team at a decent price....real value additions.

I might be stretching here....but this Giants team is starting to resemble the 1970s Steelers - a clutch QB, a rock-solid coach, and a nasty defense.
</P>

IBelieveEli
02-10-2012, 02:58 AM
I think it might be more the winning of 2 recent Super Bowls that could attract some players.
Its amazing what winning can do. If you took a poll with all of the players in 2007 if they would play for TC, there wouldn't be many. Now? A much larger percentage for sure.
I am amazed that a discipline based coach is still relevant today with all of the big salaries, prima-donnas and selfish players.

VBGiantsFan
02-10-2012, 03:00 AM

His standing really rose after SB42....he went from a tyrant to someone who changed himself to meet his team halfway.</P>

But now, after SB46, he's in rare company.* Really, you can make the argument that he's the best coach in the league - with all due respect to Bill Belichick.</P>

Now, he's being looked at like a John Wooden type of coach - discliplined, but in a good way, and also someone who is caring and motivational.

Obviously, this is a team that cares about eachother, and cares about their coach. And, the two biggest guys on the team - Tuck and Manning - are big time Coughlin supporters.* So the locker room is poison free.

You've got to think there are some really talented free agents that might be getting into the sunset of their careers, but can still play, and will sign reasonable contracts to play for a winner and have a shot at a ring.* I'm not talking about prima donnas....I'm talking about high character guys that could bring something to the team at a decent price....real value additions.

I might be stretching here....but this Giants team is starting to resemble the 1970s Steelers - a clutch QB, a rock-solid coach, and a nasty defense.
</P>

Whether he is or isn't, we cannot afford our own free agents, let alone sign them from other teams. Look for us to sign very few and try to draft our way back to some cap room next year.

JMFP2
02-10-2012, 03:02 AM

But now, after SB46, he's in rare company. Really, you can make the argument that he's the best coach in the league - with all due respect to Bill Belichick.</P>

Obviously, this is a team that cares about eachother, and cares about their coach. And, the two biggest guys on the team - Tuck and Manning - are big time Coughlin supporters. So the locker room is poison free.

You've got to think there are some really talented free agents that might be getting into the sunset of their careers, but can still play, and will sign reasonable contracts to play for a winner and have a shot at a ring. I'm not talking about prima donnas....I'm talking about high character guys that could bring something to the team at a decent price....real value additions.

</P>

Whether he is or isn't, we cannot afford our own free agents, let alone sign them from other teams. Look for us to sign very few and try to draft our way back to some cap room next year.</P>

We might very well lose some of our own guys for big bucks, but be able to attract other good players at reasonable cost.</P>

Toadofsteel
02-10-2012, 04:46 AM
It's amazing what winning will do.

We don't need FA's. We need to draft players that specifically buy into the coughlin style of discipline.

If anything, this season proved that a team of middling talent, but cohesion and discipline that borders on the military, can outplay superior talent. All of the prima donnas (especially the ones that predate Coughlin) have either been cast off (Plax, Tiki), or have been brought around to his way (Osi, Rolle).

That said, Coughlin has loosened up a tiny bit allowing players to be individuals rather than just cogs in a machine, but while still maintaining the *operational* discipline. That makes him more appealing for players to work for, whilst preserving the team spirit. In a league where personalities are getting hotter and self-centered, the Giants are proving that football is still a team sport.

Don't draft the personalities, draft the players. Make a team. All three of the WR's this year didn't care if they got the ball, as long as the team advanced/scored/won. Watching that funky victory "handshake" between jacobs and bradshaw whenever either of them scored a TD and seeing them always sitting together made them feel more like a singular unit rather than just 1st and 2nd string backs. JPP doesn't care how much he makes, as long as he gets to continue to play with the best defensive line in football. These guys believe in something greater than themselves, and together accomplish something beyond what they can accomplish individually.

If anything, the Giants are set to become a FA factory in upcoming years. Sell off players just a tiny bit past their prime for draft picks, draft the new talent, and develop it in-house. Especially at WR. More than keeping the Giants perpetually young and healthy, it will spread that team discipline mentality across the league, and hopefully curtail the spread of divaism in the NFL.

Osi_baby
02-10-2012, 05:56 AM
when is tony gonzalez a FA?

buffyblue
02-10-2012, 06:06 AM

I would love to have Tony Gonzalez on NY Giants. The guy really wants to win and has often said that he is dissapointed that he has never won a playoff game. He also has a big reputation for being great for the lockerroom and someone that comes ready to at practice everyday.

Bing Crosby
02-10-2012, 06:11 AM

This year, but he signed a one year extension for the Falcons.

Firenugget
02-10-2012, 06:50 AM
I think you guys put waaaaaaay too much into the not wanting to play for Coughlin business to begin with. As far as him being a magnet now, again...Putting waaaaay too much thought into it. We won't sign any FA's that don't fit, regardless of whether they like Coughlin or not.