PDA

View Full Version : Who is the one big $$ contract you would cut/trade this offseason to save some CAP?

GGTM_1977
02-10-2012, 10:03 AM
Straight up I would ditch David Baas C.

nygsb42champs
02-10-2012, 10:07 AM
Baas had a poor year for sure. Boothe looked o.k. at center. This way you could work in Petrus.

CDN_G-FAN
02-10-2012, 10:07 AM
Straight up I would ditch David Baas C.</P>

Jacobs.</P>

One of the biggest, if not THE biggest, cap mess relative to contribution is our RBs.</P>

Combined their getting about $11 million cap allocation this year. Jacobs is almost $7 of that.</P>

That's basically a crime. Outright crime.</P>

CDN_G-FAN
02-10-2012, 10:09 AM
Baas had a poor year for sure. Boothe looked o.k. at center. This way you could work in Petrus.</P>

we wouldn't save any money on the cap.</P>

the un-amortized portion of his bonus would be dead money this year against the cap.</P>

i think we signed him for 4 or 5 years. To cut him after only one year doesn't make alot of sense.</P>

GGTM_1977
02-10-2012, 10:10 AM

Jacobs.</P>

One of the biggest, if not THE biggest, cap mess relative to contribution is our RBs.</P>

Combined their getting about $11 million cap allocation this year.* Jacobs is almost $7 of that.</P>

That's basically a crime.* Outright crime.</P>

I love Jacobs......but I know he needs to go. HIs production has been crap, and he is hogging up cap space with his contract.

TuckYou
02-10-2012, 10:13 AM
Baas and Canty. Keep Canty if he would take a cut, because he is way overpaid. Marvin Austin will also be in next season I hope. Baas was horrible at run blocking. Just awful. Way overpaid. We could plug in some younger cheaper guys and get the same value IMO. Jacobs will prbably get cut as well, if "I got a ring" can fill his spot.</P>

Also, as great as Eli is, his salary is going to handycap us for the next 4 years. It is a huge amount of money. He needs to really readjust his numbers if he wants a good team around him. 17M in 2015/16? Ouch.</P>

CDN_G-FAN
02-10-2012, 10:13 AM

Jacobs.</P>

Combined their getting about $11 million cap allocation this year. Jacobs is almost $7 of that.</P>

That's basically a crime. Outright crime.</P>

I love Jacobs......but I know he needs to go. HIs production has been crap, and he is hogging up cap space with his contract.</P>

i don't mind the crap production.</P>

he's just not worth 4/5thsof what Adrian Peterson is getting this year (that's a fact).</P>

egyptian420
02-10-2012, 10:18 AM
Straight up I would ditch David Baas C.</p>

Jacobs.</p>

One of the biggest, if not THE biggest, cap mess relative to contribution is our RBs.</p>

Combined their getting about $11 million cap allocation this year. Jacobs is almost $7 of that.</p>

That's basically a crime. Outright crime.</p>

I love Jacobs......but I know he needs to go. HIs production has been crap, and he is hogging up cap space with his contract.</p>

i don't mind the crap production.</p>

he's just not worth 4/5thsof what Adrian Peterson is getting this year (that's a fact).</p>
I love how he's a big time Giant and that he was willing to restructure his contract for Bradshaw. He has also, a few times, been more effective than Bradshaw.

I don't mind us letting him go for cap space but we need to find a replacement, I don't think Bradshaw and Ware would be a good combo.

GGTM_1977
02-10-2012, 10:22 AM
IMHO...guys like T2, Hixon......they won't be back. Even IF they are willing to take a low $ contract as a way to gauge their performance after injury......do we really take a shot on guys that have had re-injuries on the same extremities? T2 and Hix have had ACL injury on the same joint/leg.....

danishGiant
02-10-2012, 10:25 AM
Trade Osi Umenyiora.

Cut BrandonJacobs.

Fat contract for Victor Cruz.
Fat contract for Justin Tuck.

Try resign Mario Manningham.
Try resign Terrell Thomas.

bansaw
02-10-2012, 10:32 AM
Baas and Canty. Keep Canty if he would take a cut, because he is way overpaid. Marvin Austin will also be in next season I hope. Baas was horrible at run blocking. Just awful. Way overpaid. We could plug in some younger cheaper guys and get the same value IMO. Jacobs will prbably get cut as well, if "I got a ring" can fill his spot.</p>

Also, as great as Eli is, his salary is going to handycap us for the next 4 years. It is a huge amount of money. He needs to really readjust his numbers if he wants a good team around him. 17M in 2015/16? Ouch.</p>there is no way Eli is making too much money

CDN_G-FAN
02-10-2012, 10:37 AM
Trade Osi Umenyiora. Cut BrandonJacobs. Fat contract for Victor Cruz. Fat contract for Justin Tuck. Try resign Mario Manningham. Try resign Terrell Thomas.</P>

we have 20 unrestricted free agents this year.</P>

why would we give fat contracts to two guys still under contract?</P>

Toadofsteel
02-10-2012, 10:42 AM
Issue a pay cut to Jacobs (but throw some incentives on the renegotiated contract). Both Jacobs and Bradshaw have crap production on their own, but help bolster each other's production when they're both healthy.

Trade Manningham and work Hixon or Jernigan into the #3 WR spot. He's only the #3 WR on our team, but could easily be the star on others. He would command a hefty price tag on the open market, or otherwise give us a mighty good comp pick in 2013.

Do whatever you can to keep Osi, JPP is on record stating that he doesn't care what he is making, so long as he gets to work with Osi and Tuck. That said, work on trying to keep his pay down without pissing him off too much.

Trade Ross. I don't want to do it, but I think we have to, given that we've got Terrel Thomas coming off IR, Webster, and Prince who won't be so green and injured in the 2012 season.

Cut Canty, unless you can get him to agree to a pay cut.

VelocityVirus
02-10-2012, 10:45 AM
Baas and Canty. Keep Canty if he would take a cut, because he is way overpaid. Marvin Austin will also be in next season I hope. Baas was horrible at run blocking. Just awful. Way overpaid. We could plug in some younger cheaper guys and get the same value IMO. Jacobs will prbably get cut as well, if "I got a ring" can fill his spot.</p>

Also, as great as Eli is, his salary is going to handycap us for the next 4 years. It is a huge amount of money. He needs to really readjust his numbers if he wants a good team around him. 17M in 2015/16? Ouch.</p>

It would be nice if Eli restructured a bit, but it wouldn't be something I would expect him to do. He is by far earning his salary at the moment.

CruzSoldier
02-10-2012, 10:46 AM
1. Baas he is all around awful.
2. Jacobs I love him but he gotta go because of the cap.
3.Canty he's overpaid and I know even coming off an injury Austin can give us just as good or IMHO even better production.

Kase-1
02-10-2012, 10:47 AM

Also, as great as Eli is, his salary is going to handycap us for the next 4 years. It is a huge amount of money. He needs to really readjust his numbers if he wants a good team around him. 17M in 2015/16? Ouch.</p>Id LOVE it if Canty would restruscture, that contract is killing us, too bad he played damned good this season, LOL

I expect nothing from Marvin Austin, he's 2 full years removed from football and coming off a pec injury, if anything he'll be an extra bonus if he can see a handful of snaps and produce anything.

What makes you think that Andre Brown can fill Jacobs' spot?? Has he EVER played a down for us outside of the preseason?!?!

CDN_G-FAN
02-10-2012, 10:49 AM
Issue a pay cut to Jacobs (but throw some incentives on the renegotiated contract). Both Jacobs and Bradshaw have crap production on their own, but help bolster each other's production when they're both healthy.

Trade Manningham and work Hixon or Jernigan into the #3 WR spot. He's only the #3 WR on our team, but could easily be the star on others. He would command a hefty price tag on the open market, or otherwise give us a mighty good comp pick in 2013.

Do whatever you can to keep Osi, JPP is on record stating that he doesn't care what he is making, so long as he gets to work with Osi and Tuck. That said, work on trying to keep his pay down without pissing him off too much.

Trade Ross. I don't want to do it, but I think we have to, given that we've got Terrel Thomas coming off IR, Webster, and Prince who won't be so green and injured in the 2012 season.

Cut Canty, unless you can get him to agree to a pay cut.</P>

manninham is a UFA, you can't trade him, Osi is 'kept', he still has a year left on his deal.</P>

Ross is a UFA, you can't trade him either.</P>

bansaw
02-10-2012, 10:52 AM
might have to cut Canty...would suck but we have some young beasts ready to emerge maybe.

Canty did his job

Kase-1
02-10-2012, 10:57 AM
might have to cut Canty...would suck but we have some young beasts ready to emerge maybe.

Canty did his job
Ehhhh, I disagree with ya on the young beasts statement.

If this was last season, MAYBE Id agree with ya, but Austin is 2 years removed from playing in an actual game and next to him we have Jimmy Kennedy and uhhhh, ummmm, not sure who else

This season we had Canty, LJ, and Rocky B in the DT mix, but Rocky is a UFA, and Canty NEEDS to be restructured and needs more of an insentive based contract.

bansaw
02-10-2012, 10:58 AM
I said maybe

&gt;.&gt;
&lt;.&lt;

JesseJames
02-10-2012, 11:55 AM
every body keeps talking about Manningham not being here next year, I think we should try real hard to keep the receivers we have intact because they are the ones who got us where we are this year. Good GMs can always find a way to be resourceful in keeping the core players of their team...

DaKraken
02-10-2012, 12:04 PM
Also, as great as Eli is, his salary is going to handycap us for the next 4 years. It is a huge amount of money. He needs to really readjust his numbers if he wants a good team around him. 17M in 2015/16? Ouch.</p>

It would be nice if Eli restructured a bit, but it wouldn't be something I would expect him to do. He is by far earning his salary at the moment.

+1

Mercury
02-10-2012, 12:40 PM
every body keeps talking about Manningham not being here next year, I think we should try real hard to keep the receivers we have intact because they are the ones who got us where we are this year. Good GMs can always find a way to be resourceful in keeping the core players of their team...

Someone will throw big money at MM, bigger than we can. It happens all the time.

Baas was injured much of the year and played well in the playoffs and SB. San Francisco has a good DL, so give him a pass, we won after all. He will be a good center for us next year. If you cut him, it doesn't help our cap anyway. His signing bonus would all come due in 2012, and his contract would be just dead weight on our cap.

BJ already restructured to make some cash to resign AB. He wants to be a starter again. I don't think he'll restructure again, and so will likely be cut.

Ross and Canty are good candidates to restructure. They are both very valuable to our defense.

nYg24
02-10-2012, 12:54 PM

manninham is a UFA, you can't trade him, Osi is 'kept', he still has a year left on his deal.</P>

I was going to say, that post was full of fail.

I say get rid of Jacobs (cant stand him) and Canty (he's stealing from the team).

Bring back T2 with a 1-2yr deal. He wants to be back and was looking to have a very promising year before the injury.

Trade Osi if he asks for too much, which he will.

MattMeyerBud
02-10-2012, 12:54 PM

I agree Baas had an awful year, but he had one HELL of a superbowl

Have to wait it out next year with him. He had no offseason, new team, injuries. Too many things this year.

Lets see how he does witha year under his belt and hopfully a healthy year

ELIteManning
02-10-2012, 01:07 PM

I agree Baas had an awful year, but he had one HELL of a superbowl

Have to wait it out next year with him.* He had no offseason, new team, injuries.* Too many things this year.

Lets see how he does witha* year under his belt and hopfully a healthy year

I totally agree. I am not ready to ditch the guy yet. I think injuries and trying to adjust to a new team was brutal on his play this year. I believe he is a better player than that. I am not opposed to a possible restructure though to help defer some money.

tdawg1413
02-10-2012, 01:44 PM
You would like to see Canty or Baas restructure their deals but they are not going anywhere. Canty had a very good season this year and is a key to the defense. Mario is all but gone and I think we can get T2 back for a two year deal that wont cost much. Let Barden, Jernigan, Thomas and a draft pick battle for the #3 WR spot. Sign a guy like Martellus Bennett for TE. Young with loads of potential but has been stuck behind Witten and needs a change of scenery. He wont cost much and you get upside with it. The one big free agent we need to try and get is Lofton from Atlanta. Also, I like Anthony Collins from Cincy as a RT candidate. He also has experience at LT and is pretty good in both spots.

As far as our guys and as much as I like him, Jacobs needs to go. His cap number is simply too large for the production he gives. We can get a RB in the draft to go with AB and Ware/Scott. If you can get a high second for Osi, I would try for that as well. He is a great pass rusher but we cannot afford the distraction he will pull again this offseason.

THE_New_York_Giants
02-10-2012, 01:47 PM
Trade players for draft picks.

freeoscar
02-10-2012, 01:54 PM
one thing you have to remember w/Eli's contract is that really big bumps come after the new TV contract goes into effect, which will substantially boost the cap. And really, he's irreplacable.

Baas showed enough that I withhold judgement, though I wasn't overrall impressed.
What leverage do we have on Canty? How big a hit to the cap would it be to cut him, and what's he worth on the open market? I'd like to take him down a couple mm as well.
As much as possible, I like to extend the young studs (Cruz, Nicks, JPP) as much as is feasible. its the only way to keep multiple stars on the team at reasonable salaries.

MattMeyerBud
02-10-2012, 01:55 PM

+1

he restructured last year

he should restructure, win a superbowl and superbowl MVP while carrying our team for the whole year, then restructure again?

I think it would be silly for him to do

BrianK
02-10-2012, 01:57 PM

I was going to say, that post was full of fail.

I say get rid of Jacobs (cant stand him) and Canty (he's stealing from the team).

Bring back T2 with a 1-2yr deal. He wants to be back and was looking to have a very promising year before the injury.

Trade Osi if he asks for too much, which he will.+1 on the full of fail