PDA

View Full Version : If Eli restructures,Osi could return

pica01
02-10-2012, 04:51 PM
Osi wanted a new deal and didn't get it.Yet,he played hard and we probably wouldn't had won it all without him.The giants can't expect Osi to play again next year without a new deal.And we probably don't have the cap space to give it to him.If Eli restructured next years money to a later year to Give Osi say 7 million next year and free agency the next,he could return and we could keep that pass rush for one more run.And the legend of Eli,ultimate team player would grow to legendary levels.Before you say Eli'de rather keep Manningham,that's much bigger money and I think Eli would rather bring Steve Smith back over Manningham anyway.If we have to trade Osi we'de be lucky to get a 3rd round pick.He's much more valuable to us than that.Just a thought.What do you guys think?

gmen0820
02-10-2012, 04:54 PM
The last guy who needs a pay cut is Eli.

TuckYou
02-10-2012, 04:55 PM
If Eli restructures it would be to keep Manningham or sign a TE. Tony Gonzalez anyone?</P>

</P>

MattMeyerBud
02-10-2012, 05:02 PM
Osi wanted a new deal and didn't get it.Yet,he played hard and we probably wouldn't had won it all without him.The giants can't expect Osi to play again next year without a new deal.And we probably don't have the cap space to give it to him.If Eli restructured next years money to a later year to Give Osi say 7 million next year and free agency the next,he could return and we could keep that pass rush for one more run.And the legend of Eli,ultimate team player would grow to legendary levels.Before you say Eli'de rather keep Manningham,that's much bigger money and I think Eli would rather bring Steve Smith back over Manningham anyway.If we have to trade Osi we'de be lucky to get a 3rd round pick.He's much more valuable to us than that.Just a thought.What do you guys think?

he played hard, when he decided to play

some owuld say he milked his injury and had to be talked back into play for the end of the season...

Eli has restructured already last year. Asking him to do it two years in a row after winning a superbowl is abit much for me.

Osi is 50/50 on being here... i give only a shot in hell that Mario is a Giant

MattMeyerBud
02-10-2012, 05:03 PM
If Eli restructures it would be to keep Manningham or sign a TE. Tony Gonzalez anyone?</p>

</p>

Gonzo already signed in ATL

and hell no...

We have proven that we don't need an overpaid TE. We've made some pretty average players look better than they were. Personally i'd prefer a more blocking TE to help with the run game.

And for whatever u want, it hsould be through the draft

pica01
02-10-2012, 05:03 PM
One other thing.If we do have to trade Osi and want to maximize what we get for him I don't see a better fit then the Jets.I know,we probably would never trade him there,but a pure pass rusher is the Jets glaring need.Along with a deep threat at WR.And maybe a bust at QB.Boy,sucks to be them,huh?Maybe the Jets go after Peyton and give us a 2nd rounder for Osi.Just spitballing.

Tuckit91
02-10-2012, 05:06 PM

<FONT size=5>he played hard, when he decided to play

some owuld say he milked his injury and had to be talked back into play for the end of the season...</FONT>

Eli has restructured already last year. Asking him to do it two years in a row after winning a superbowl is abit much for me.

</P>

</P>

Do you have proof of this...I think he was hurt and came back when he was ready...Osi wanted to get paid and he deserves to be paid!</P>

pica01
02-10-2012, 05:08 PM
I don't think Eli restructured.I think he just signed a new deal.As far as Tony G,he's said that when he left KC his 1st choice was the Giants and I think we blew it.That ship has sailed.

TuckYou
02-10-2012, 05:09 PM
If Eli restructures it would be to keep Manningham or sign a TE. Tony Gonzalez anyone?</P>

</P>

and hell no...

We have proven that we don't need an overpaid TE. We've made some pretty average players look better than they were. Personally i'd prefer a more blocking TE to help with the run game.

</P>

Gonzo is dying to play with the Giants, and im sur ehe would do it for the vet min to at least win a damned playoff game once in his career! lol. Package him up with Pascoe and another TE from the draft. Ballard and Beckum are done IMO.</P>

MattMeyerBud
02-10-2012, 05:09 PM
One other thing.If we do have to trade Osi and want to maximize what we get for him I don't see a better fit then the Jets.I know,we probably would never trade him there,but a pure pass rusher is the Jets glaring need.Along with a deep threat at WR.And maybe a bust at QB.Boy,sucks to be them,huh?Maybe the Jets go after Peyton and give us a 2nd rounder for Osi.Just spitballing.

who cares?

Plenty of teams would make a trade for Osi. If the Jets want to offer a first rounder - then give it to em

If they are offering a 2nd rounder, im sure there will be other suitors.

I don't think Osi would be good at the OLB spot in the 3-4

MattMeyerBud
02-10-2012, 05:11 PM
If Eli restructures it would be to keep Manningham or sign a TE. Tony Gonzalez anyone?</p>

</p>

and hell no...

</p>

Gonzo is dying to play with the Giants, and im sur ehe would do it for the vet min to at least win a damned playoff game once in his career! lol. Package him up with Pascoe and another TE from the draft. Ballard and Beckum are done IMO.</p>

why would they be done?

We wouldn't have the cap to pay 7 mil for him next year, nor would we need it

and just because Gonzo would want to play here, doesn't mean that Falcons would give him up for nothing. And if he wanted to play here so bad, why wouldn't he wait for free agency to sign here?

Bing Crosby
02-10-2012, 05:13 PM
+1

SweetZombieJesus
02-10-2012, 05:19 PM
Osi wants top 5 DE money, unless he's lowered his standards on that one.

Plus he's a situational player at a spot where we're already loaded.

IMO there are much bigger needs -- such as the O-line. And then the impact on future caps -- and handling players like Tuck (plaid below value and keeping his mouth shut about it), JPP, Cruz, Nicks...

If Osi will lower his standards and make it easier for the Giants to keep him like Kiwi did, I'm all for it. Otherwise I don't see it.

MattMeyerBud
02-10-2012, 05:24 PM

<font size="5">he played hard, when he decided to play

some owuld say he milked his injury and had to be talked back into play for the end of the season...</font>

</p>

</p>

Do you have proof of this...I think he was hurt and came back when he was ready...Osi wanted to get paid and he deserves to be paid!</p>

well lets see - after crying for a new contract all off season, he magically returned after a surgery he had. So he needed a surgery AND thinks that it would of been a good way to start off a top 5 DE money contract (had he gotten it?).

He then has a high ankle sprain in which the very next day he put himself out for 4-6 weeks. Magically, he came back for playoff games looking fine - even though on XMas eve the talk was that he'd need more weeks to get healthy. For an ankle sprain?

Whatever

Besdies that, why does he deserve the contract? As far as i'm concerned he didn't EARN the last one! He got a front loaded deal, missed a season and a half while being IR'd twice, and benched by the end of 09

Im sorry, but he didn't live up to the first deal he got, he shouldn't be paid the way he wants. Extend him fairly? I'm all for it, but lets remember the WHOLE story about injuries, benchings, front loaded contracts, and the fact that he can't sustain playing the run for the WHOLE season. Hes great at what he does, but hes great at being one dimensional

MattMeyerBud
02-10-2012, 05:25 PM
Osi wants top 5 DE money, unless he's lowered his standards on that one.

Plus he's a situational player at a spot where we're already loaded.

IMO there are much bigger needs -- such as the O-line. And then the impact on future caps -- and handling players like Tuck (plaid below value and keeping his mouth shut about it), JPP, Cruz, Nicks...

If Osi will lower his standards and make it easier for the Giants to keep him like Kiwi did, I'm all for it. Otherwise I don't see it.

I concur

great meeting u the other day

Ruttiger711
02-10-2012, 05:26 PM
PAY DA M........ just kidding... </P>

If Eli restructures (which he shouldnt) it wont be for Osi... there are far bigger needs which unfortunately became needs during the SB. </P>

Yeah Gonzo signed a new deal right before the playoff game... and he was a non-factor thanks to the D, but we could do more with less.</P>

pica01
02-10-2012, 05:32 PM
hey,there's no doubt he milked the knee in preseason and early season.But the ankle injury was legit. later and he came back earlier than expected and played at a high level.We've all seen unhappy players dog it and even become a cancer.Santonio Holmes anyone?Osi didn't and produced a sack a game and down the stretch made some of the key plays of this incredible run.Manningham can be replaced.Pass rushers that average a sack a game and and force a fumble on half of them are irreplacable.Actually,when it comes to sacks and forced fumbles Osi is one of a kind.LT invented the strip sack.Osi perfected it.

MattMeyerBud
02-10-2012, 05:33 PM
hey,there's no doubt he milked the knee in preseason and early season.But the ankle injury was legit. later and he came back earlier than expected and played at a high level.We've all seen unhappy players dog it and even become a cancer.Santonio Holmes anyone?Osi didn't and produced a sack a game and down the stretch made some of the key plays of this incredible run.Manningham can be replaced.Pass rushers that average a sack a game and and force a fumble on half of them are irreplacable.Actually,when it comes to sacks and forced fumbles Osi is one of a kind.LT invented the strip sack.Osi perfected it.

if Coughlin didn't have that "talk" with him, he may not of came back. He was obviously fine when he came back. Seems to me like he was milking it again

FDNY Fitzy
02-10-2012, 05:46 PM
The guys that should be restructuring are guys like David Deihl, and maybe Corey Webster.

Beelzeboss
02-10-2012, 05:55 PM

Definition of hypocrisy.

Odan
02-10-2012, 06:04 PM

if Coughlin didn't have that "talk" with him, he may not of came back. He was obviously fine when he came back. Seems to me like he was milking it again

Never heard any of Osi's teamates say he was milking the injury, and we have plenty of outspoken players. Its easy to downplay what Osi did after the fact, but without his incredible play, which coincidentally started around the end of the year, we don't go on the run we went on, and we don't make it to the Super Bowl.

pica01
02-10-2012, 06:07 PM
Wow,everytime I start a new thread here I'm stunned at the response.I wasn't expecting anyone to bash Osi.Yeah,we have needs at OL,RB and did at LB,especially MLB.Can we all agree that Blackburn is our MLBer and along with Boley and the 4 young LB's and Goff returning that's no longer a glaring need.Can we also agree that we are a pass rush dependant defense?As opposed to a coverage defense like the Jets.When Osi and Tuck were hurt WE WERE GETTING TORCHED!Our defensive strategy is to rotate fresh pass rushers and Osi is as good a pass rusher as there has ever been when you factor in forced fumbles.I'm not giving him a new long term deal.I'm giving him a new deal for next yr at fair money with free agency the following yr.If dogging it got this years production,imagine what Osi would do at 7 mil next year with free agency the following year.Sorry,I know,no spacing again.Don't know how.Little help?

brad
02-10-2012, 06:31 PM

What I don't get about your logic... why sign him for one year when we already have him under contract for one year. A better approach might be to offer him a longer term deal, say 4-5 years with a lot of the money pushed back to the end of the contract. Otherwise, if you just want him for one year, make him play with the current contract. He would then be playing for his next pay day... can't hold out on a contract year or he lowers his value.

pica01
02-10-2012, 06:33 PM
There are very few players who are ever in the position to voluntarily restructure at no long term financial loss.If Jacobs wants to return he'll have to restructure for much less money.Eli has a long term deal worth over 100 million.He could restructure that deal for the same money longterm that opens cap space short term.I think Peyton did it once.Possibly Brady too.I don't know if Eli would do it for a defensive player.And I don't expect he'd do it to keep Manningham.I'm sure,however,that if it looked like we were gonna lose Nicks or Cruz next year because of cap problems he'd do it in a second.Eventually,If push comes to shove concerning the cap,whether it's now or anytime in the future,the one bullet In Reese's gun is restructuring Eli's deal.Does anyone doubt that if asked to restructure without longterm financial loss Eli would say no?I think not.

pica01
02-10-2012, 06:53 PM
Listen,we don't want to resign him longterm.He said Reese promised him a couple years ago that he would get a new deal if he returned to form after being injured,which he did.He clearly said before this season that Reese lied to him.And at no point did Reese or the Giants really try to refute what Osi said.There was no "I didn't make that promise" or " I have a different recollection".Only Osi and Reese know what was said.But believe me,those players in the locker room believe Osi.And if Reese ever wants players trust again he'll have to pay Osi more for next year or trade him somewhere they'll give him a new long term deal at market worth.Playing another year on the old deal won't happen.Sweetening next year and then free agency is the perfect middle ground.

brad
02-10-2012, 07:36 PM
Considering that there are several players who are playing for far less than their value, for example Cruz, and that cap space is already so tight that, according to Reese some players will not be returning next year... who are you willing to lose in order to give Osi a huge one year deal?

RoanokeFan
02-10-2012, 07:45 PM

<font size="5">he played hard, when he decided to play

some owuld say he milked his injury and had to be talked back into play for the end of the season...</font>

</p>

</p>

Do you have proof of this...I think he was hurt and came back when he was ready...Osi wanted to get paid and he deserves to be paid!</p>

What part of NO MONEY don't we understand? It's easy for us to say "pay him" without the first thought of how. Not to mention he had two years to go on his contract when he made his demands, was coming off an injury year, is not an every down player, and is not the best DE on the team..

rebelfan1966
02-10-2012, 07:46 PM
Osi played pretty hard for half a season...... My chief concern is his ability to stay healthy for an entire season.

RoanokeFan
02-10-2012, 07:51 PM
Osi played pretty hard for half a season...... My chief concern is his ability to stay healthy for an entire season.

Reese will factor all of that into the negotiations WHEN they have them. I'm thinking Osi is not their # 1 concern right now.

rebelfan1966
02-10-2012, 07:53 PM

Reese will factor all of that into the negotiations WHEN they have them.* I'm thinking Osi is not their # 1 concern right now.

agree...

rebelfan1966
02-10-2012, 07:53 PM

Reese will factor all of that into the negotiations WHEN they have them.* I'm thinking Osi is not their # 1 concern right now.

agree...

n420p69
02-10-2012, 07:56 PM
I gotta eat some crow because I thought we should dump Osi at the beginning of the year when he was crying but he definitely turned out to be a major part of our title run again. He proved his point about deserving more money but with JPP and Tuck already entrenched as the starters I am not sure he comes back when his contract runs out. I sure as hell hope he stays and doesn't put up a fuss for his last year because he still has it.

pica01
02-10-2012, 07:57 PM
It wasn't a keeping Osi over somebody else thing.And it wasn't a huge 1 yr deal.I'm talking about bumping Osi from 4 to 7 million.What I said was if Eli went to Reese and said he would restructure to give Reese cap space specifically to bring Osi back he could ensure his return for another year.That's all.Eli's probably never gonna do that for a defensive player.I'm not stupid,I was just throwing it out there because Osi is important.Either Reese sweetens his deal or trades him.I can't see Osi playing here next yr again on the old deal.

giantman8493
02-10-2012, 08:00 PM
eli kind of deserves all the money in the world. he could restucture and actually make more money that way though while lowering cap i think.

RoanokeFan
02-10-2012, 08:02 PM
It wasn't a keeping Osi over somebody else thing.And it wasn't a huge 1 yr deal.I'm talking about bumping Osi from 4 to 7 million.What I said was if Eli went to Reese and said he would restructure to give Reese cap space specifically to bring Osi back he could ensure his return for another year.That's all.Eli's probably never gonna do that for a defensive player.I'm not stupid,I was just throwing it out there because Osi is important.Either Reese sweetens his deal or trades him.I can't see Osi playing here next yr again on the old deal.

Osi has to play here next year according to his contract.

pica01
02-10-2012, 08:08 PM
We are up against the cap again this year and tougher decisions then letting Boss or Smith go lay ahead.reese has to cap plan ahead for the Nicks,Cruz and JPPs on the team.Restructuring Eli's 100 million plus deal to open cap space is the one bullet in the gun.When it's used is the question.It just moves money around.It won't cost Eli anything long term when it happens.Put it this way,if Nicks was a free agent instead of Manningham and we didn't have cap space,we'de definitely use that bullet now.

byron
02-10-2012, 08:10 PM

and I don't think they will offer him anymorehe is due 4.6 or something like that..maybe a bonus with incentives Like you said there's alot more to worry about at this point ...

RoanokeFan
02-10-2012, 08:17 PM

and I don't think they will offer him anymorehe is due 4.6 or something like that..maybe a bonus with incentives Like you said there's alot more to worry about at this point ...

They tired incentives last year and he turned them down.

byron
02-10-2012, 08:46 PM

</P>

Yeah thats what I was thinking but wasn't sure......kind of stupid really on his part...If the org see's him herein the future maybe they offer a deal but not before they get other spots taken care of...But Idon't think it would anything close to 7 mil....can he give the team a whole season Idk anymore.... jmho/feeling .....glad he came through for us at years end tho ...</P>

As a fan I hope it doesn't turn into another publicpissingmatch between him and management </P>

gmen0820
02-10-2012, 08:50 PM

Definition of hypocrisy.

Noun:
The practice of claiming to have moral standards or beliefs to which one's own behavior does not conform; pretense.

There it is. Care to explain?

buddy33
02-10-2012, 09:57 PM
It's not about hating on Osi but with their cap problems it might make sense to trade him. I don't think they can afford him and he is probably only here for another year. Trade him, get a pick, and save about 4 million.

C1010
02-10-2012, 10:49 PM

</p>

Tony already signed another one year deal and said it will be his final year.

ShakeNBake
02-10-2012, 11:00 PM
I don't care what anyone says, Osi feigned injury until he knew we were going to the post season because he was unhappy with his contract. Great player when he wants to be but he doesn't deserve to get paid like hes a top 5 De like he claims

Voldamort
02-10-2012, 11:06 PM
we all want a new deal,sorry for your luck!! OSI needs to play hard every play.

CDN_G-FAN
02-10-2012, 11:44 PM

<FONT size=5>he played hard, when he decided to play

some owuld say he milked his injury and had to be talked back into play for the end of the season...</FONT>

</P>

*</P>

Do you have proof of this...I think he was hurt and came back when he was ready...Osi wanted to get paid and he deserves to be paid!</P>

i agree he deserves to be paid, just not by us for how much he's looking for.

the cupboard is nearly bare. Osi's still under contract.

i don't see what the big hell-fire need is to spend $7 million + on a guy who gets hurt too often and could be 2nd or 3rd on our depth chart.

radar-ray
02-10-2012, 11:52 PM
I don't care what anyone says, Osi feigned injury until he knew we were going to the post season because he was unhappy with his contract. Great player when he wants to be but he doesn't deserve to get paid like hes a top 5 De like he claims
1. He came back before we knew we were going to to the post season, 2. the trainers, staff and Dr.'s make the final decision when a player plays, not the player, 3. TC said Osi was in the training facillities working very dilligently to rehab. So I take TC's word and the medical staff's opinion when Osi was good to go before your obviously negatively biased opinion. PS. It would be totally counter productive for Osi to dog it, if his objective is to get more $$$ next year.

ShakeNBake
02-10-2012, 11:57 PM
1. He came back before we knew we were going to to the post season, 2. the trainers, staff and Dr.'s make the final decision when a player plays, not the player, 3. TC said Osi was in the training facillities working very dilligently to rehab. So I take TC's word and the medical staff's opinion when Osi was good to go before your obviously negatively biased opinion.

He came back after we beat the Jets, which was the game that got us back into the running. How do you know he was working "dilligently" to rehab? Do you work for the Giants organization? Of course TC is going to say he was working to get back to playing, hes not going to publicly throw anyone under the bus. The guy was dogging it all year, and clearly was unhappy with his contract. If you think the two don't coincide you are naive to put it nicely.

radar-ray
02-11-2012, 12:06 AM
1. He came back before we knew we were going to to the post season, 2. the trainers, staff and Dr.'s make the final decision when a player plays, not the player, 3. TC said Osi was in the training facillities working very dilligently to rehab. So I take TC's word and the medical staff's opinion when Osi was good to go before your obviously negatively biased opinion.

He came back after we beat the Jets, which was the game that got us back into the running.* How do you know he was working "dilligently" to rehab? Do you work for the Giants organization? Of course TC is going to say he was working to get back to playing, hes not going to publicly throw anyone under the bus. The guy was dogging it all year, and clearly was unhappy with his contract. If you think the two don't coincide you are naive to put it nicely.
Counter productive for Osi to dog it, if he wants more $$$ next year. That's common sense. Again the med staff and TC make the decision when a players ready to play. I trust they know more than you.

ShakeNBake
02-11-2012, 12:38 AM

He came back after we beat the Jets, which was the game that got us back into the running. How do you know he was working "dilligently" to rehab? Do you work for the Giants organization? Of course TC is going to say he was working to get back to playing, hes not going to publicly throw anyone under the bus. The guy was dogging it all year, and clearly was unhappy with his contract. If you think the two don't coincide you are naive to put it nicely.
Counter productive for Osi to dog it, if he wants more $$$ next year. That's common sense. Again the med staff and TC make the decision when a players ready to play. I trust they know more than you.

The med staff cleared him back in august genius, check the article http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/giants/unhappy_return_D18CZhRfhkRqYzbd4P450J take a look at the part where it says "Umenyiora never mentioned the clean bill of health for his ailing right
knee as a reason to begin practicing, validating the notion his
insistence on not practicing was mostly (or all) about financial
wrangling."<div style="overflow: hidden; color: rgb(0, 0, 0); background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255); text-align: left; text-decoration: none; border: medium none;">
Edit: Wanted to add that he stayed out in the beginning of the season, saw that JPP was emerging and realized that his value to the team was dropping as the year progressed. Guy steps into a limited role and then all of a sudden becomes "healthy" when we are in the running for the playoffs after the jet game.

</div>

JJC7301
02-11-2012, 12:50 AM
There's no way I trade him to the Jets, and I don't think he'd be a good fit in a 3-4 system.

Keep Osi. He's under contract for 1 more year. I know he wants more money, but don't give it to him.

RoanokeFan
02-11-2012, 11:28 AM

</p>

Yeah thats what I was thinking but wasn't sure......kind of stupid really on his part...If the org see's him herein the future maybe they offer a deal but not before they get other spots taken care of...But Idon't think it would anything close to 7 mil....can he give the team a whole season Idk anymore.... jmho/feeling .....glad he came through for us at years end tho ...</p>

As a fan I hope it doesn't turn into another publicpissingmatch between him and management </p>

The only thing Osi did that was "stupid" was try to negotiate in public. All that did was box Reese into a corner so he couldn't help Osi if he had wanted to.

Marvelousmik
02-11-2012, 11:38 AM

who cares?

Plenty of teams would make a trade for Osi. If the Jets want to offer a first rounder - then give it to em

If they are offering a 2nd rounder, im sure there will be other suitors.

I don't think Osi would be good at the OLB spot in the 3-4

no team will give up a first for osi. the thing with osi is not if he can play good. we all know he can play. its how much years does he have left in the tank. no team will give a away a first or second round pick who if pans out could potentially be their guy for 4-6 years when osi might have 1 or 2 more years left as being a great pass rusher

Brandon jacobs
02-11-2012, 11:40 AM
I don't know. In my opinion, Tuck, JPP, Canty, Joesph seem more valuable to me. the only reason OSI THINKS he should get more $$$ is because of the 07 season. but since the 07 season, his sack production has floundered since the 07 season which, for all tense and purposes was due to Mike strahan and the pressure he put up front on teams.

Firenugget
02-11-2012, 12:29 PM
Oooor..He could just play out his contract. The Giants aren't FORCED to give him anything. He still has 1 more year and they could very well let him hold out and sulk. He'd only be hurting himself. A trade at this point wouldn't surprise me.

gmen0820
02-11-2012, 12:31 PM
Oooor..He could just play out his contract. The Giants aren't FORCED to give him anything. He still has 1 more year and they could very well let him hold out and sulk. He'd only be hurting himself. A trade at this point wouldn't surprise me.
Plus if he holds out too long he will add another year to his contract.

radar-ray
02-11-2012, 01:51 PM

and I don't think they will offer him anymore*he is due 4.6 or something like that..maybe a bonus with incentives Like you said there's alot more to worry about at this point ...

</p>

Yeah thats what I was thinking but wasn't sure......kind of stupid really on his part...If the org see's him here*in the future maybe they offer a deal but not before they get other spots taken care of...*But I*don't think it would anything close to 7 mil....can he give the team a whole season Idk anymore.... jmho/feeling .....glad he came through for us at years end tho ...</p>

As a fan I hope it doesn't turn into another public*pissing*match between him and management </p>

The only thing Osi did that was "stupid" was try to negotiate in public.* All that did was box Reese into a corner so he couldn't help Osi if he had wanted to.
Agree, that was stupid.

radar-ray
02-11-2012, 01:53 PM

He came back after we beat the Jets, which was the game that got us back into the running.* How do you know he was working "dilligently" to rehab? Do you work for the Giants organization? Of course TC is going to say he was working to get back to playing, hes not going to publicly throw anyone under the bus. The guy was dogging it all year, and clearly was unhappy with his contract. If you think the two don't coincide you are naive to put it nicely.

The med staff cleared him back in august genius, check the article http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/giants/unhappy_return_D18CZhRfhkRqYzbd4P450J take a look at the part where it says "Umenyiora never mentioned the clean bill of health for his ailing right
wrangling."<div style="overflow: hidden; color: rgb(0, 0, 0); background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255); text-align: left; text-decoration: none; border: medium none;">
Edit: Wanted to add that he stayed out in the beginning of the season, saw that JPP was emerging and realized that his value to the team was dropping as the year progressed. Guy steps into a limited role and then all of a sudden becomes "healthy" when we are in the running for the playoffs after the jet game.

</div> That's your opinion.

since55
02-11-2012, 06:42 PM

Can't stomach posters who find any similarity between osi and LT. Just my 2cts.

Voldamort
02-11-2012, 06:43 PM
NOT THE CASH OSI IS LOOKING FOR?

Firenugget
02-11-2012, 07:56 PM
I think Reese fired the first shot on the Osi debate already.

*On whether he can have a “peaceful solution” with

<nobr><span>Osi Umenyiora</span>http://www.giants.com/assets/nflimg/icon-article-link.gif (http://www.giants.com/team/roster/osi-umenyiora/494e2297-649e-488b-8dee-230198faa704/)</nobr>, who in the past expressed unhappiness with his contract.

“Again,
we’re in the early stages of the evaluation,” Reese said. “<font size="5"><u>Osi is under
contract</u></font>, but we’ll discuss everything as a staff and we’ll discuss all
issues that could possibly come up for us. We’ll come up with agame
plan and we’ll move on day-to-day and see how things work out for us.”</p>

All discussion and thought given will be from that starting point. I think if Osi forces the issue, he'll likely be traded or left to hold out.

Firenugget
02-11-2012, 07:56 PM
I think Reese fired the first shot on the Osi debate already.

*On whether he can have a “peaceful solution” with

<nobr><span>Osi Umenyiora</span>http://www.giants.com/assets/nflimg/icon-article-link.gif (http://www.giants.com/team/roster/osi-umenyiora/494e2297-649e-488b-8dee-230198faa704/)</nobr>, who in the past expressed unhappiness with his contract.

“Again,
we’re in the early stages of the evaluation,” Reese said. “<font size="5"><u>Osi is under
contract</u></font>, but we’ll discuss everything as a staff and we’ll discuss all
issues that could possibly come up for us. We’ll come up with agame
plan and we’ll move on day-to-day and see how things work out for us.”</p>

All discussion and thought given will be from that starting point. I think if Osi forces the issue, he'll likely be traded or left to hold out.

Sarcasman
02-11-2012, 08:26 PM

Osi is under contract. He'll return unless the Giants decide to deal him.

It's their prerogative.

Beelzeboss
02-12-2012, 12:07 PM

Definition of hypocrisy.

Noun:
The practice of claiming to have moral standards or beliefs to which one's own behavior does not conform; pretense.

You are a hypocrite. I don't think there is anyone on these boards that trashed Eli as hard as you did last summer. Your a joke.

Jobarulz
02-12-2012, 12:17 PM
Asking Canty to restructure his deal is more like it.

jakegibbs
02-12-2012, 12:32 PM

Rumor is he's gonna back load his contract simular to what his brother's gonna propose to the other 31 teams after the Colts cut him.

If Eli basically plays for no money down but 20 mil if he wins that would create the money void in the CAP that would allow this team to stay in tact & go for the repeat & become a dynasty right?

Come on Eli you really don't need the money rightr now right? Didn't he get his regular 3 mil bonus for winning 3 playoff games & the SB like in 07 run?

GMENAGAIN
02-12-2012, 12:42 PM

some owuld say he milked his injury and had to be talked back into play for the end of the season...

</P>

+1</P>

gmen0820
02-12-2012, 01:12 PM

Definition of hypocrisy.

Noun:

You are a hypocrite. I don't think there is anyone on these boards that trashed Eli as hard as you did last summer. Your a joke.
I called Eli overpaid in response to people who thought his bad games were a result of Reese mismanaging the cap and not giving Eli more weapons.

Since, I've backed off that claim. That isn't hypocrisy. Different story if I still claimed he was overpaid and made that claim.

And I'm the joke, didn't you go through my twitter, then google my name, find my Facebook, find out where I lived and say you planned on coming to my graduation? LMFAO

GreenZone
02-12-2012, 01:19 PM
First of all, if people are going to debate the salary (and some here are doing so without the realization he is already under contract), it would behoove people to look at what the current contract is, so here it is:

<table class="salaryTable" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><thead><tr class="salaryRow"><td class="header salaryYear"></td>
<td class="header salaryAmt">Base Salary</td>
<td class="header salaryAmt"> S. Bonus</td>
<td class="header salaryAmt">
</td>
<td class="header salaryAmt">Cap Hit</td>
</tr>
</thead>
<tbody>
<tr class="salaryRow">
<td class="salaryYear">2006</td>
<td class="salaryAmt">
<span class="end " title="">
500,000 </span></td>
<td class="salaryAmt">
642,857 </span>
</td>
<td class="salaryAmt">
</span>

</td>
<td class="salaryAmt">
<span class="end " title="">1,142,857 </span></td>
</tr>
<tr class="salaryRow">
<td class="salaryYear">2007</td>
<td class="salaryAmt">
595,000 </span></td>
<td class="salaryAmt">
642,857 </span>
</td>
<td class="salaryAmt">
</span>

</td>
<td class="salaryAmt">
<span class="end " title="">1,237,857 </span></td>
</tr>
<tr class="salaryRow">
<td class="salaryYear">2008</td>
<td class="salaryAmt">
1,700,000 </span></td>
<td class="salaryAmt">
642,857 </span>
</td>
<td class="salaryAmt">
</span>

</td>
<td class="salaryAmt">
<span class="end " title="">2,342,857 </span></td>
</tr>
<tr class="salaryRow">
<td class="salaryYear">2009</td>
<td class="salaryAmt">
2,550,000 </span></td>
<td class="salaryAmt">
642,857 </span>
</td>
<td class="salaryAmt">
</span>

</td>
<td class="salaryAmt">
<span class="end " title="">3,192,857 </span></td>
</tr>
<tr class="salaryRow">
<td class="salaryYear">2010</td>
<td class="salaryAmt">
3,100,000 </span></td>
<td class="salaryAmt">
642,857 </span>
</td>
<td class="salaryAmt">
</span>

</td>
<td class="salaryAmt">
<span class="end " title="">3,742,857 </span></td>
</tr>
<tr class="salaryRow">
<td class="salaryYear">2011</td>
<td class="salaryAmt">
3,125,000 </span></td>
<td class="salaryAmt">
642,857 </span>
</td>
<td class="salaryAmt">
</span>

</td>
<td class="salaryAmt">
<span class="end " title="">3,767,857 </span></td>
</tr>
<tr class="salaryRow">
<td class="salaryYear">2012</td>
<td class="salaryAmt">
<span class="end currentYear " title="">
3,975,000 </span></td>
<td class="salaryAmt">
642,857 </span>
</td>
<td class="salaryAmt">
</span>

</td>
<td class="salaryAmt">
<span class="end currentYear " title="">4,617,857 </span></td>
</tr>

<tr class="salaryRow">
<td class="salaryYear">2013</td>
<td class="salaryAmt fa" colspan="4">
<span class="ufa">
UFA </span>
</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td class="details"><div class="player-details"><ul> $15 million guaranteed Signing Bonus: $4.5 million[/list]</div></td>
</tr>
</tbody>
</table>

Next, Jerry Reese never refuted Osi's claim that he had promised Osi a raise because he will not comment about negotiations in public.

Imagine if he did?

NY Post headline last August: "Reese calls Osi 'Liar' ."

NY Daily News back page headline: "Reese to Osi: Liar, liar"

Osi is one part talent and one part beneficiary of the required double teams on talent around him.

Since Reese offered Osi incentives, he did his part to renegotiate within the teams' cash strapped constraints.

If Osi had a little more charm and not so bitter a public persona and a better agent, he could cash in on endorsements the NYC market has to offer.

He'd be smart to: a) fire his agent; and b) poke a little fun at himself in a TV commercial that would revamp his image and cash in for him. He needs to be thinking about his post football career and not appear to be this sulking, hooky playing player to the public.

And, as important, if his wish is to be traded, he's made other teams he could potentially be traded to question his effort and thus not offer sufficient value to lure the Giants into making a deal.

In every respect, Osi (and his choice of agent) has been his own worst enemy.

ShakeNBake
02-12-2012, 05:27 PM

Ok you can repeat that as much as you'd like, but its clear you were proven wrong and won't admit it. He was cleared to play back in august, that is fact not opinion.

radar-ray
02-12-2012, 05:32 PM

Ok you can repeat that as much as you'd like, but its clear you were proven wrong and won't admit it. He was cleared to play back in august, that is fact not opinion.
Ok let me specific. That's your opinion that he was faking/dogging it last season.

LondonGman
02-12-2012, 05:35 PM
Excellent post, spot on.

LondonGman
02-12-2012, 05:36 PM
Sorry - excellent post, spot on.

giantsfan420
02-12-2012, 05:36 PM

i just found it odd that coming into this season Osi was saying how he's finally 100% healthy and how "he feels bad for opposing offensive lineman because he's been playing hurt and now he's healthy" and then he says he needs surgery when he didn't get a new contract. the giants medical staff even said he didn't even need the surgery, he got another opinion (like a dr. is ever going to say "nah I dont need the money you don't need my services") and then sits out much of the season.
He played in enough games to showcase what he could do. Towards the end of the season when the Giants had a shot to make a run, Osi DID play with more heart and conviction, but where was that all season?

I agree with the post a few before mine, Osi and his agent has been Osi's own worst enemy.

ShakeNBake
02-13-2012, 12:15 AM

Ok let me specific. That's your opinion that he was faking/dogging it last season.

Obviously, but you were arguing that Osi wasn't good to good throughout this entire thread which he was

ShakeNBake
02-13-2012, 12:19 AM

i just found it odd that coming into this season Osi was saying how he's finally 100% healthy and how "he feels bad for opposing offensive lineman because he's been playing hurt and now he's healthy" and then he says he needs surgery when he didn't get a new contract. the giants medical staff even said he didn't even need the surgery, he got another opinion (like a dr. is ever going to say "nah I dont need the money you don't need my services") and then sits out much of the season.
He played in enough games to showcase what he could do. Towards the end of the season when the Giants had a shot to make a run, Osi DID play with more heart and conviction, but where was that all season?

I agree with the post a few before mine, Osi and his agent has been Osi's own worst enemy.

Yeah thats what I meant when I said he didn't play until the jet game. I can't believe some fans are so blind that they don't see this. People on these boards complain about what Shockey and Tiki did, but what about what Osi tried to pull this season?

Mercury
02-13-2012, 08:49 AM
Osi's value:

At this point in his career, can he be an every down DE? He certainly is not on the Giants. But on another team? I think not. Consequently, Osi is not going to get the money he thinks he is worth anywhere. And nothing he does is going to change that. The best thing he could do would be to shut up and play hard. But even that won't change the fact that he's a year or two past his prime and isn't an every down DE.

He is actually being well paid for his services as a backup DE. Osi needs to come to grips with that. It's hard for anyone to swallow their pride. It's especially hard for a diva.

He is under contract. He can't hold out. The fines are prohibitive. He can't force a trade, because no team wants to pay a high draft pick to the Giants and a high salary to him. His only option this year is to play for the Giants or retire. Next year, he can test the market for his services.

elismom
02-13-2012, 09:34 AM

Jerry came up with ernie, you can see he has some of ernies core values. Ernie was in love with Osiu much like he was with Eli. in fact he wouldn't even give up Osi to get Eli. Ppl forget about Osi's history with this team. I woul dnot be shocked to see him back. And proved alot down the streatch but it won't be Osi favorable deal it will be a Giants deal.

Osi much like BJ has 2 yrs of high high quality play. Now with the Giants I believe with there familiraty with the systems and load of work can go 3-5 yrs more. They both play partime here and it helps them

CDN_G-FAN
02-13-2012, 11:35 AM
Osi's value:

At this point in his career, can he be an every down DE? He certainly is not on the Giants. But on another team? I think not. Consequently, Osi is not going to get the money he thinks he is worth anywhere. And nothing he does is going to change that. The best thing he could do would be to shut up and play hard. But even that won't change the fact that he's a year or two past his prime and isn't an every down DE.

He is actually being well paid for his services as a backup DE. Osi needs to come to grips with that. It's hard for anyone to swallow their pride. It's especially hard for a diva.

He is under contract. He can't hold out. The fines are prohibitive. He can't force a trade, because no team wants to pay a high draft pick to the Giants and a high salary to him. His only option this year is to play for the Giants or retire. Next year, he can test the market for his services.
</P>

Great post.</P>

people need to keep in mind, all things being equal (meaning, not 3rd and long), for every snap that Osi is on the field, JPP is not. That's not a great deal for us.</P>

Osi is our 3rd DE. He wants more than the $4 million he's getting this year.</P>

unless that changes, he won't be a giant in 2013.</P>

jhamburg
02-13-2012, 11:39 AM
Osi's value:*

At this point in his career, can he be an every down DE?* He certainly is not on the Giants.* But on another team?* I think not.* Consequently, Osi is not going to get the money he thinks he is worth anywhere.* And nothing he does is going to change that.* The best thing he could do would be to shut up and play hard.* But even that won't change the fact that he's a year or two past his prime and isn't an every down DE.*

He is actually being well paid for his services as a backup DE.* Osi needs to come to grips with that.* It's hard for anyone to swallow their pride.* It's especially hard for a diva.*

He is under contract.* He can't hold out.* The fines are prohibitive.* He can't force a trade, because no team wants to pay a high draft pick to the Giants and a high salary to him.* His only option this year is to play for the Giants or retire.* Next year, he can test the market for his services.*
</P>

Great post.</P>

people need to keep in mind, all things being equal (meaning, not 3rd and long), for every snap that Osi is on the field, JPP is not.* That's not a great deal for us.</P>

Osi is our 3rd DE.* He wants more than the $4 million he's getting this year.</P>

How many snaps do you really see JPP off the field? He is out there the vast majority of the time. And besides, I see him and tuck both looking gassed late in the game as it is.

CDN_G-FAN
02-13-2012, 12:43 PM
Osi's value:

</P>

Great post.</P>

people need to keep in mind, all things being equal (meaning, not 3rd and long), for every snap that Osi is on the field, JPP is not. That's not a great deal for us.</P>

Osi is our 3rd DE. He wants more than the $4 million he's getting this year.</P>

How many snaps do you really see JPP off the field? He is out there the vast majority of the time. And besides, I see him and tuck both looking gassed late in the game as it is.</P>

even if that were true, which its not, the solution is not a $7 million a year for a situationalDE.</P>

pica01
02-14-2012, 11:40 AM
When Osi's on the field,JPP's off?Really?I thought our strength was 4 DE types rushing the passer at the same time and our ability to rotate fresh pass rushers.Hey,I hope Osi returns and plays out the last year of his deal.I just don't know if that's really possible.Only Osi and Reese know if a new deal was promised.if it was,then Reese owes Osi an upgrade or trade.If it wasn't,then Reese has every right to keep Osi next year at 3.9 million.If Reese never promised Osi a new deal then Osi would have to play hard next year to cash in the next as a free agent.Either way,Osi has alot of respect in that locker room and Reese risks losing the trust of the players going foward if that happens if Osi sticks to his story,true or not.

BillTheGreek
02-14-2012, 11:49 AM

*</P>

First choice >>Manningham
Second choice TE. Tony Gonzalez
With Eli approval !

pica01
02-14-2012, 12:13 PM
One last thought.Osi may be a luxury we can't afford as a situational type DE but we all know one thing.He is big play game changer who would be missed.Is it worth an extra 3 million next year to keep him here and happy?Not a new longterm deal.Just an upgrade on the last year with free agency the next year.If JPP or Tuck went down,that 3 million would be a bargain.That Dline is our mealticket and injuries happen.It wasn't till Osi came back and Tuck got somewhat healthy that our D became a force again.Osi is arguably the most dangerous pass rusher in the NFL.It's great to produce a sack a game.Osi's sacks force a fumble on more than half of his.He blows up games with his sacks.Look no further than his strip of Rodgers preventing a certain TD when Ross blew coverage. I don't know about you but in passing situations I watch Osi,because even if he doesn't get the sack,he's a ball hawk unlike any other I've ever seen.Sacks are great.Forced fumbles are much better.2 yrs ago 13 sacks forced 11 fumbles I think.An NFL record.Remember that before you call him a situational player.I spaced this post.If it comes up otherwise I"m sorry.

pica01
02-14-2012, 12:35 PM
Manninghams gonna get a multi-year deal we can't afford.Tony G just signed a new deal in atlanta.I know Eli's not gonna restructure to keep a defensive player.I was just spitballing.If I have one complaint about Reese it's cap management.We're up against it again this year and we have to plan ahead for the JPPs,Cruz's Nicks and Tuck's in coming years.The one bullet in the cap gun is restucturing Eli's contract.Same money restructured over time to open cap room.It will happen.When is the question.I just wonder how the Eagles were 25 million under the cap after last season.Or how the Skins could make mistake after mistake,like Hainsworth and Mcnabb and still be talked about in the discussion about where Peyton will be next year.And we can't keep Manningham?,