PDA

View Full Version : Biggest wins and worst losses

Lambeau12
02-10-2012, 10:22 PM
What are the biggest wins you Giant fans cherished and worst losses you got really mad in or took hard all time?

GmenFan1980
02-10-2012, 10:26 PM
Didn't you ask this before lolhttp://boards.giants.com/emoticons/emotion-7.gif

and greatest wins would of course be the super bowl wins

and my two losses that stung the most was last years Eagles meltdown and the *** whooping from the Ravens in the super bowl

GOBIGBLUE52
02-10-2012, 10:36 PM
3 biggest:
1) XLII (first super bowl win I ever saw the giants win as it happened, the storyline, etc)
2) XLVI (because it's a super bowl)
3) Dallas playoff game (because **** Dallas)
HM: Green Bay 2007-8(an epic: the conditions, the stakes, the HOFers involved, the ending, really the Ice Bowl II)
San Fran 2011-2 (similar to the above. A hard fought, hard hitting game)

3 worst:
1) 49ers playoffs, 2002-3
2) Desean Jackson
3) Super Bowl XXXV
HM: Jay Feely vs. Seattle, Vince Young in 2006

Lambeau12
02-10-2012, 10:36 PM
I did but got no responses but bad time to ask it the day after you won the super bowl. I figure now were into the dog days of winter it would be a better time lol.

allentown PA
02-10-2012, 10:39 PM
I did but got no responses but bad time to ask it the day after you won the super bowl. I figure now were into the dog days of winter it would be a better time lol.

97 wildcard loss to the vikings was a tough one

dave56dj
02-10-2012, 10:47 PM
Obviously all 4 superbowls.

Nfc championship in 90.
Pats win this year regular season.
Ruining broncos regular season (was at game)
broncos regular season in 86 or was it 90 the hit in the snow? Gary Reasons.

The worst
Unsung but seeing via sikehema hit the giants pad in the 90's killed me. cardinals.

raven superbowl
flipper anderson playoff game - uggh PI call.

NYG6timeworldchamps
02-10-2012, 10:53 PM
Best
1. Super Bowl XLII
2. Super Bowl XXV
3. Super Bowl XLVI
4. Super Bowl XXI
5. 1990 NFC Championship Game
6. 2000 NFC Championship Game

Worst
1. 2002 Wild Card Game
2. 1989 NFC Divisional Game - Rams / Flipper / Pass Interference
3. 1997 Wild Card Game
4.Desean Jackson Game
5. Westbrook Game
6. Super Bowl XXXV

gmen0820
02-10-2012, 10:59 PM
Biggest win: 2008 vs the Browns in preseason
Biggest loss: 2010 vs the Steelers in preseason

lol jk

lnp12
02-10-2012, 11:17 PM
I don't think I'll ever be able to watch the Desean Jackson play in full ever again...

scoopscj
02-10-2012, 11:21 PM
Only older Giant's fans will know what I'm talking about.

Biggest losses...

1) Flipper MOTHER TRUCKING Anderson
2) 49ers playoff loss with the botched snap.
3) Miracle in the Medowlands - Herm MOTHER TRUCKING Edwards
4) DeSean Jackson's punt return
5) Super Bowl vs the Ravens
6) Dallas last minute comeback when our kicker kicks an out of bounds kickoff with 30 seconds and they wind up making a FG to win it.

Wins...

Eli's comeback vs the Broncos.
The SB wins of course and the championship games that go with it.
41 - 0 vs Vikings
Kent Graham to Toomer to break up the perfect season vs the Broncos
Huge game vs Redskins the day after our owner, "The Duke" passed away

SanDiablo
02-11-2012, 01:22 AM
Worst... losses to SF in 1993 and 2002. I hated the Niners with passion back then.

Best... XLII and XLVI :)

Toadofsteel
02-11-2012, 01:54 AM
Biggest win, super bowl xlii, no doubt

Biggest loss, the desean jackson game. That game restructured how i feel about the rest of the division. I used to hate the cowboys, but now there is no room in my heart for hating the cowboys (or the jets, or the redskins for that matter). There is only the Eagles. I have dreams now of becoming a billionaire, buying out the eagles, and moving them to LA or some other market looking for an NFL team.

Other than that, there was the saints game this year. That one hurt too much, and I hope we can pull out a victory in 2012 against them.

GMen869007
02-11-2012, 02:11 AM
The playoff game in January '06 at home against the Panthers was pretty bad. I know it was Eli's first playoff game, but they couldn't get anything going, and Eli threw 3 picks and the Giants didn't even run a play in Panthers' territory. We were shut out 22-0 (I think) Afterwards Tiki Barber threw the coaching staff under the bus. Pretty deflating following an 11-5 record in Eli's first full season as a starting QB.

Definitely not the worst loss, but I'm just throwing it in there for consideration.

Best was Super Bowl XLII hands down.

redbeardxxv
02-11-2012, 04:47 AM
Anyone remember the game we lost to Seattle in 05, maybe 06? In OT, bunch of FG attempts, finally lost on a FG? I don't remember the specifics, but that was a heart breaker. I remember watching that game, and leaving afterwords only to realize halfway home that we walked out on a $60+ tab......... haven't been back to that bar since...lol

Diamondring
02-11-2012, 06:57 AM
The worse loss was the Superbowl loss against the Ravens. A lot of people thought or think that they had a real good defense but I felt that if that stupid Shawn Peyton would have called a better gameplan, Giants should have beaten the Ravens. I still can't believe that their offense moved the chains on our defense when Giants shut the Vikings down and their offense is way better than the Ravens. That is why I feel that the loss against the Ravens hurted the most. Now I don't care anymore because Giants got their fourth Superbowl ring making it the best win so far that I experienced.

bLuereverie
02-11-2012, 07:09 AM
Best
1. Super Bowl XLII
2. Super Bowl XXV
3. Super Bowl XLVI
4. 1990 NFC Championship Game
5. 2000 NFC Championship Game
6. Ken Graham ruining Bronco's perfect season*

Worst
1. 2002 Wild Card Game
2. .Desean Jackson Game
3. 1989 NFC Divisional Game - Rams / Flipper / Pass Interference
4. 1997 Wild Card Game

A bit modified, but this would be my list.

NYG 5
02-11-2012, 07:20 AM
The worse loss was the Superbowl loss against the Ravens. A lot of people thought or think that they had a real good defense but I felt that if that stupid Shawn Peyton would have called a better gameplan, Giants should have beaten the Ravens. I still can't believe that their offense moved the chains on our defense when Giants shut the Vikings down and their offense is way better than the Ravens. That is why I feel that the loss against the Ravens hurted the most. Now I don't care anymore because Giants got their fourth Superbowl ring making it the best win so far that I experienced.

lol, they didn't move the ball when it mattered. they got a lucky long TD off a good punt return, and they got a big pass play (greatest throw dilfer ever made in his life) after the Armstead callback for the field goal. the only thing they did well was not put the ball in a dangerous spot. they only got yards when the game was put away.

2002 wildcard, after looking at 2007 and 2012, REALLY wonder what could have been
Super Bowl XXXV, it was a ballgame up until the end of the third quarter, really a bad gameplan and bad QB play. Giants blitzed too much, they should have played like the Ravens, blitz a few times and scare dilfer and make him hear footsteps, then play coverage and let Strahan and Hammer go to work.

2005 Seattle game, that game was in the bag and decided the #1 seed in the NFC, and it was just given away.

SweetZombieJesus
02-11-2012, 08:12 AM
Someone said the greatest wins are SB wins, which isn't entirely true.

The game that made me a serious fan was a loss. The 1990 MNF matchup against the 49ers, regular season game of the year, both teams were 10-1. The Giants lost but the character they showed made me love this team and of course there would be a rematch in the NFC CG. Very similar to what happened in the 2007 Week 17 38-35 loss to the 16-0 Patriots. You could throw this year's regular season loss to the Packers by the same score in that category. One of those coincidences that's happened during 3 of our championship runs.

Of course the SB wins, along with the NFC CGs, in some ways those have always been tougher.

There are times when, even when we suck, where big things happen like they derailed the perfect Broncos in the late 90s, or like when Tiki ran for over 200 yards after Wellington Mara died. Eli alone has a big pantheon of shocker, come from behind wins that belong in there too.

The worst losses? SB XXXV (everything that could go wrong in that game did), the 2002 playoff meltdown against the 49ers and botched field goal at the end and bad ref call (they admitted they were wrong the following day but the game is over), the 2010 Eagles meltdown, the original "Miracle at the Meadowlands", the Flipper Anderson playoff loss against the Rams... There's plenty of 'em.

Pksoze
02-11-2012, 03:30 PM
Best wins: SB 42 and 46. I also enjoyed the 41-0 beating of the Vikings...

There are some regular season wins I'd like to acknowledge though. The Giants beating the Broncos in 98 and 05 were special game. The first because we ended their unbeaten streak the second because it was just a great comeback win by Eli and the last game Wellington MAra ever saw.

Worst Losses: The game after we beat the Vikings.

The 49ers game in 2002. The Matt Dodge game. And underrated loss that made me angry was vs the Chargers 2 years ago that loss really pissed me off... especially because we heard the Rivers better than Manning crap once again.

allentown PA
02-11-2012, 07:11 PM
my favorite win was the 2000 nfc champ game 41-0...of the 4 super bowls my favorite is a tie btwn 90 and 2007.

arrjay
02-12-2012, 06:08 AM
<h2 class="title-p"><font size="2">found this... brought back some bad memories.....</font></h2>

</p>

Worst Losses:
</p><div style="font-family: Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif;">

<span style="color: red; font-weight: bold;">1)</span><span style="font-weight: bold;"> <span style="font-size: 130%;">2002 NFC Divisional Playoff Game - Giants @ 49ers</span></span> <span style="font-size: 100%;">(i.e.
the Trey Junkin bad snap/no pass interference called game). It's been
five years, and I still get angry whenever I think about this game. I'm
angry right now as I type this. First, the Giants blow a 24 point second
half lead. Then, a non-</span><span style="font-size: 100%;">call so horrible that a</span><span style="font-size: 100%;">fter
a videotape review the next day, NFL Supervisor of Officials Mike
Pereira publicly admitted that the game officials blew the call on the
wild play that ended the Giants season. Niners' defensive end Chike
Okeafor clearly </span><span style="font-size: 100%;">tackled and dragged (http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2005/11/03/sports/03giants450.jpg) Rich Seubert, an eligible receiver, to the ground as he flailed helplessly at </span><span style="font-size: 100%;">Matt Allen's desperation pass in the final seconds. </span><span style="font-size: 100%;">Because a football game canít end on a defensive penalty, </span><span style="font-size: 100%;"> the Giants would have had one untimed down from the spot of the foul </span><span style="font-size: 100%;">(</span><span style="font-size: 100%;">which was somewhere around the Niners' five yard line) </span><span style="font-size: 100%;">had pass interference been called</span><span style="font-size: 100%;">. </span><span style="font-size: 100%;">The league office released an official statement (http://espn.go.com/nfl/news/2003/0106/1488193.html) and Pereira</span> actually called and apologized to Wellington Mara, b<span style="font-size: 100%;">ut he couldnít overturn the call. 39-38.</span> </div><span style="color: red; font-weight: bold;">

2) </span><span style="font-size: 130%; font-weight: bold;">1989 NFC Divisional Playoff Game - Rams @ Giants</span> (i.e. the Flipper Anderson game-winning touchdown game). After Anderson caught the ball down the right sideline (http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3164/2390953770_47c7c4e292.jpg?v=0)
and outran the entire Giants secondary, he kept running straight into
the tunnel with the football, the 1989 Giants season, and the last
remaining remnants of my childhood. He never came back out. That's the
quietest I've ever heard Giants stadium in my life, and I was once there
when it was virtually empty. 19-13 OT.<span style="color: red; font-weight: bold;">

3) </span><span style="font-size: 130%; font-weight: bold;">1997 NFC Wild Card Game - Vikings @ Giants</span>
(i.e. the Chris Calloway fumble/Jake Reed game-winning touchdown game).
The Giants had a nine-point lead with less than two minutes remaining.
The next thing you know, the usually sure-handed Chris Calloway muffs
an onside kick, Jake Reed gets open in the back of the endzone, and
Rodney Hampton's career is over. Eleven years later, my old man still
blames my friend Dave Schwartz for this loss (http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9401E5D91731F93BA15751C1A9619582 60). Jinx. Better him than me. 23-22.<span style="color: red; font-weight: bold;">

4) </span><span style="font-size: 130%; font-weight: bold;">1993 NFC Divisional Playoff Game - Giants @ 49ers</span>
(i.e. the Giants get blown out in L.T.'s last game ever game). This
one hurt because it was a bloodbath. The Giants were never in it at any
point, and that's definitely not the way you want the greatest player in franchise history (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHyL1E21kOo&amp;feature=related)
to go out. The Niners ran all over the Giants' defense that day, as
Ricky Watters set a playoff record with five rushing touchdowns. 44-3. Ouch (http://cache3.asset-cache.net/xc/76990106.jpg?v=1&amp;c=NewsMaker&amp;k=2&amp;d=17A4AD9FDB9CF19 3861A1C1D75ABE90BA26076F4246FB0A2).<span style="color: red; font-weight: bold;">

5) </span><span style="font-size: 130%; font-weight: bold;">1985 NFC Divisional Playoff Game - Giants @ Bears</span>
(i.e. the Sean Landeta whiffs on a punt game). Take nothing away from
the 85 Bears.The Super Bowl Shufflers were a great team, and it was
windy and miserably cold in Chicago that day. But anytime you get
shut-out in a playoff game, it's gonna sting. The missed punt was
embarassing, but not any more so than the Giants' 41 total rushing
yards. A beatdown. 21-0.<span style="color: red; font-weight: bold;">

6) </span><span style="font-size: 130%; font-weight: bold;">1989 Regular Season Game - Eagles @ Giants</span><span style="font-size: 130%;"> </span>(i.e.
the Randall Cunningham 91-yard punt game). The Giants had the lead and
had Philly backed up to their own 2-yard line late in the fourth
quarter. Then, on <span style="font-style: italic;">third</span> down, Cunningham surprised the Giants with the punt, which, according to Dave Anderson's report (http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=950DE3DE173FF937A35751C1A96F9482 60&amp;sec=&amp;spon=&amp;pagewanted=all) in the <span style="font-style: italic;">Times</span> the next day, <span style="font-size: 100%;">soared 59 yards in the air (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQKHOMHKT00)
(more like 65 counting from where he punted in the end zone), landed at
the Giants' 38 and bounced to the 7 before Dave Meggett, who had let
the ball bounce past him, returned it to the 16. But two plays later,
Phil Simms fumbled, Michael Pitts recovered at the Giants' 7 and three
plays after that, Keith Byars (a Giant killer (http://ihatephilly.vodpod.com/video/392296-best-block-ever-ever-ever-by-keith-byars)) scored the decisive touchdown. 24-17.</span><span style="color: red; font-weight: bold;">

7) </span><span style="font-size: 130%; font-weight: bold;">1988 Regular Season Monday Night Football Game - Giants @ Eagles</span> (i.e. the Carl Banks can't tackle Randall Cunningham game (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=4790823369579709296&amp;q=cunningham+b anks&amp;total=27&amp;start=0&amp;num=10&amp;so=0&amp;type=search&amp;plin dex=0)). Just watch the video if you don't remember this one. 24-13.<span style="color: red; font-weight: bold;">

8) </span><span style="font-weight: bold;"><span style="font-size: 130%;">2005 Regular Season Game - Giants @ Seahawks</span> </span>(i.e. the Jay Feely misses 3 game-winning field goals game). I watched this one in a sports bar in Chicago (http://www.gamekeeperschicago.com/)
and hurt my foot after kicking a barstool so hard after Feely's 2nd
miss that I could barely walk back to my in-laws house afterwards. 24-21
OT.<span style="color: red; font-weight: bold;">

9)</span> <span style="font-size: 130%; font-weight: bold;">2003 Regular Season Monday Night Football Game - Cowboys @ Giants</span>
(i.e. the Matt Bryant kickoff out of bounds game). The game was all
but over. All the Giants had to do was kick the ball in bounds and
cover the kick. <span style="font-size: 100%;">But instead, Coach Fassel advised a squib kick shaded left, which Bryant proceeded to put </span><span style="font-size: 100%;">out of bounds at the Cowboys' 1-yard line. </span><span style="font-size: 100%;">
This gave Dallas 11 seconds and good field position at their own 40,
which they quickly turned into the game-tying field goal. Cowboys
placekicker Billy Cundiff later connected for his 7th field goal of the
game to win it in overtime. 35-32 OT.</span><span style="color: red; font-weight: bold;">

10) </span><span style="font-weight: bold;"><span style="font-size: 130%;">1988 Regular Season Game - Eagles @ Giants</span> </span>(i.e.
the Giants block a potential game-winning field goal in overtime only
to have the ball bounce right to Clyde Simmons, who runs it in for a
game-winning touchdown game). I wish I could find video of this one,
because I don't think I've ever seen a play like that since. Brutal (http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=940DE1DF123EF932A15752C1A96E9482 60). 23-17 OT.<span style="color: red; font-weight: bold;">

11)</span> <span style="font-size: 130%; font-weight: bold;">1988 Regular Season Game - Giants @ Jets</span>
(i.e. the Al Toon and the Jets end the Giants playoff hopes with a last
second, game-winning touchdown game). This was actually a Jets home
game, but my old man was able to get tickets from his then partner. We
should have stayed home. Losing to the Jets is bad enough, but when the
loss keeps you out of the playoffs, and you have to contend with a
stadium and parking lot and middle school full of insufferable Jet fan
******bags, well that's enough to make even a 13-year-old's blood boil.
27-21.<span style="color: red; font-weight: bold;">

12) </span><span style="font-size: 130%; font-weight: bold;">2006 Regular Season Game - Giants @ Titans</span> (i.e. the Vince Young escapes Kiwanuka's grasp (http://images.usatoday.com/sports/_photos/2006/12/07/qbhit-large.jpg)
and Giants blow 21 point 2nd half lead game). I watched this game at
that same sports bar in Chicago where I witnessed the debacle in
Seattle. I guess I should have known better, but they serve some really
top notch hot wings in that joint. 24-21.<span style="color: red; font-weight: bold;">

13) </span><span style="font-weight: bold;"><span style="font-size: 130%;">1997 Regular Season Game - Ravens @ Giants</span> </span>(i.e.
the Brad Daluiso misses two short field goals and has an extra point
blocked and the Giants lose by one point game). If you happen to run
into my buddy Mosty (http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2202/2390204036_4f32d7dd1f.jpg?v=0) on the street sometime, please ask him about this game and his opinion of Daluiso. 24-23.<span style="color: red; font-weight: bold;">

14) </span><span style="font-size: 130%; font-weight: bold;">Super Bowl XXXV</span>.
(i.e. the Ravens maul Giants after phantom defensive holding call on
Keith Hamilton negates tide-turning interception for touchdown by Jessie
Armstead late in the first half game). The final score was 34-7. The
Giants only gained 152 yards of total offense. Kerry Collins was atrocious (http://pro.corbis.com/images/UT0063112.jpg?size=67&amp;uid=%7B2e0c36e7-288e-487a-aa62-05e63c4ee8f3%7D), setting a Super Bowl with four interceptions. Something like 150 million people watched the game. Need I say anything more?<span style="color: red; font-weight: bold;">

15)</span> <span style="font-size: 130%; font-weight: bold;">1992 Regular Season Game - Eagles @ Giants</span> (i.e. the Vai Sikahema boxes the goalpost (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-952470180705112103&amp;q=sikahema&amp;total=6&amp;start=0&amp;num= 10&amp;so=0&amp;type=search&amp;plindex=5) game). This was worse than when Joe Horn pulled that cellphone nonsense (http://www.brightcove.tv/title.jsp?title=791890399&amp;channel=526148718), because he did it on our home field. After a kickoff return for a touchdown. And I was there. *Sigh*. 47-34.

.................................................. .....

<font color="#FF0000" size="5">Best non Super Bowl win: 1990 season NFC Championship in SF. No TDs .. just defense all day long.</font>

SweetZombieJesus
02-12-2012, 07:16 AM
Oh God Arrjay that's why I didn't want to think that hard.

Lambeau12
02-13-2012, 11:30 PM
Cool lists.

egyptian420
02-13-2012, 11:43 PM
Like many others...

Best win: SBXLII
Worst loss: Desean

sliprock33
02-14-2012, 12:28 AM
Was at that game in seattle. Even though we lost, it was one hell of an entertaining game. Eli brought us from behind to put us in OT (imagine that!). That place was beyond loud. Tough loss, but excellant game.

arrjay
02-14-2012, 02:25 AM
......at least we can laugh now...

yoeddy
02-14-2012, 06:52 AM
Biggest wins are the Super Bowls.

Biggest losses are any losses to the Eagles...

Lambeau12
02-14-2012, 11:35 PM
Didnt the Giants beat the undefeated Broncos back in 98?

bleeding blue
02-14-2012, 11:41 PM
Anyone remember the game we lost to Seattle in 05, maybe 06? In OT, bunch of FG attempts, finally lost on a FG? I don't remember the specifics, but that was a heart breaker. I remember watching that game, and leaving afterwords only to realize halfway home that we walked out on a $60+ tab......... haven't been back to that bar since...lol
Omg. Jay Feely BLEW that game! 3 TIMES!!
Most lasting image of that game though was Shockey pointing to the camera as if we had just kicked the game winning FG and then stopping and realizing Feely actually missed it lol

Someone must have a .gif of that Shockey moment of FAIL

JDE123
02-15-2012, 12:46 AM
The Trey Junkin game was absolutely brutal. If I could indulge in a brief reenactment: "What is that guy doing?!?......THAT WAS PASS INTERFERENCE!!......oh thank God they threw a flag......ILLEGAL MAN DOWN - WHAT THE #$%!!"

The 41-0 game was unbelievable. My uncle, an Eagles fan, is still convinced there was some kind of foul play with the headsets.

Phantom defensive holding in the Ravens SB - I've looked around and can't seem to find any video of that play...just sayin...

I don't actually remember it, but I'm assuming LT's final game was brutal.

miked1958
02-15-2012, 01:36 AM
What are the biggest wins you Giant fans cherished and worst losses you got really mad in or took hard all time?
Super Bowls........

Philly the Fumble
Philly Desean
SF Blown Lead
Ravens SB

JDE123
02-15-2012, 08:01 AM
It seems to me like Ron Dayne has to be single-handedly responsible for at least 1 notch in the 'worst loss' column. I can't remember any specifics, but I feel like he had at least a game per season the Giants would have won if he could have just taken the ball and fallen forward.

The win in Kansas City following 9/11 was pretty special for reasons having nothing to do with football.

nygsb42champs
02-15-2012, 08:20 AM
Super Bowl wins would be the best. The playoff meltdown to Minnesota is one that I still remember.

MikeIsaGiant
02-15-2012, 08:30 AM
Greatest - SB wins, those comeback wins!!

Worst - Eagles coming back from a huge lead and desean jackson's punt return

Ringo
02-15-2012, 09:12 AM
wasnt nearly the worst but that 41-9 blowout we suffered from the panthers in 09 was tough to watch, makes winning this super bowl even better thinking of how tough its been getting back for the team.

ryan12
02-15-2012, 12:41 PM

i broke my dresser after that game

Lambeau12
02-16-2012, 07:14 PM
I remember watching the Giants playing the Cowboys back in the 90's on New Years day. I remember it was New Years day because I still remember Pat Summeral saying Happy New Years everyone. Dallas won by a game winning field goal. I remember rooting so hard for the Giants cause I hated Dallas so much at that time. I think it was 1993.