PDA

View Full Version : What NFL Teams do you have a soft spot for and why?

scoopscj
02-12-2012, 05:13 PM
I guess I can't hate the Patriots anymore. The image of Kraft and having BB be a part of the Giants for a long time kind of keeps me from hating them.

As a Giants fan I of course hate on the Cowboys and Eagles but I do have a soft spot for the Redskins. They were a great team in the 1980s but haven't been relevant in years. I go to their stadium and their fans are kind, even in defeat.

In the AFC I want to see the KC Chiefs do well. They gave us tremendous applause and a standing ovation the first game after 911. They have a great stadium, crowd and tradition and they've been down so long I just want to see them do well.

How about you? What team do you sort of pull for that isn't our own team?

Scoops

PS. It's nice to see the Lions playing well... finally too!

GmenFan1980
02-12-2012, 05:19 PM
For the AFC i have always quietly rooted for the Broncos(not because of Tebow) But because The first football game I ever watched was the Broncos and they were a pretty dominant team in the late 90's.

My dad though made me watch the Giants and my love for G-men took over and the rest was history :)

as for the NFC? The lions were so bad that I just sort of defaulted to root for them cause I felt bad for them lol

Voldamort
02-12-2012, 05:24 PM
1.Lions
2.Browns
3.Vikings
4.Jag's
I feel for there fans! Every Thanksgiving I root for the Lions and Hope. Now the Browns have a good place to play ,but no team and no hope! Vikings need to play outside,period I loved snow games when I was a kid!The Jag's always looking to move!

GMen869007
02-12-2012, 05:34 PM
The Browns, their fanbase is loyal and my Dad's side of the family is from Cleveland and are Browns fans. I'd like to see the Browns represent the brown and orange in the biggest game sometime soon.

Bread
02-12-2012, 06:09 PM
No NFL fanbase has been kicked in the balls as much as Cleveland.

In Philly, we have a running gag that every time the Eagles let us down, we say "Well, at least we're not Cleveland"

Their team left and won a ring, a few years later in a different city. They let go of Belichick and obviously, there is the Lebron thing.

Have a huge soft spot for them.

Kase-1
02-12-2012, 06:32 PM
Stillers are my #2 team.

My uncle is from Pittsburgh and he's a HUUUUUUUGE Stillers fan, he always respected the Giants and rooted for them (as long as they werent playing his team) as well as watching all of the holiday games with me and talking Giants and Steelers football.

In addition to my Uncle Terry being a Stillers fan, ya gotta like Pitt just for the Rooney-Mara connection alone

GMENAGAIN
02-12-2012, 06:59 PM
I always had a soft spot for the Bears after watching Brian's Song when I was a kid . . . .

Toadofsteel
02-12-2012, 09:35 PM
One of the teams I like is the 49ers (I'm too young to really remember the montana days where we always seemed to meet in the playoffs).

Recently, I started pulling for Green Bay whenever the Giants are out of it. This stems from them defeating the Eagles in philly in 2010 after the djax incident.

I've softened up considerably to the cowboys recently as well. The church I work at has a pastor who's a big cowboys fan, although he's nowhere near rowdy about it (and you wouldn't know he was a fan unless he outright told you). Although I won't necessarily root for them in most situations, neither do I really have any more animosity towards them.

The only team I really *hate* anymore is the eagles. If they were to fold as a franchise I would rejoice.

smashndash715
02-12-2012, 09:43 PM
i could care less about any team outside of the giants BUT for the topic of this thread...the texans..love andre johnson..like how they have built their team..never thought i would say this but alot of credit to wade phillips but turning that d beastly..i think they will be good for a while now

MikeIsaGiant
02-13-2012, 12:24 PM
I have a soft spot for so many teams honestly.

I like the Bills in the AFC, not sure why but they are considered a NY team and I really don't have a problem with them.
I like their new team a lot, Steve Johnson, Fred Jackson, C.J Spiller (love the guy).

I also have a soft spot for the Chiefs, I want them to win a SB

sg92
02-13-2012, 04:00 PM
Probably not popular choices, but the Ravens and Steelers. Both are sort of old-school -- hard-nosed defense and team play. Both teams have some of the toughest and best players of all time (Steelers: Hines Ward, Troy Polamalu, Ravens: Ray Lewis and Ed Reed.)

Ray Lewis (if you can get past his mis-behavior early in his career) is incredible and the closest thing to a player-coach in the NFL -- he creates a standard that everyone around aspires to. It's pretty incredible to watch....

wolfie
02-13-2012, 04:07 PM
I hate the Eagles! I don't hate the Cowboys or Redskins, but can't say I like them either. As for all the other teams, I like them as long as they're not playing us. Because my partner is a Jets fan, I root for them, except when they play us. So in short, I don't really care about any of them. I just love my Giants.</P>

</P>

buffyblue
02-13-2012, 04:28 PM
I have always had a soft spot for the Patriots. Bill Parcells went there. Bill Bellichek went there. I liked Drew Bledsoe and Ben Coates. I like Tom Brady. I like Robert Kraft. Also if it bwasn’t going to be NY Giants or Washington Redskins to win the post 9/11 Super Bowl the next best thing was a team named the Patriots.

I have a soft spot for the Denver Broncos because a friend of mine from college that passed 2 1/2 months ago was a huge Denver Broncos fan. I remmeber when we were still in college and they played GB in the SuperBowl and we went in to the restaraunt that he was working at to get his tips from the night before and it was close to the bar we were going to watch the game at. The owner gave him some mess because he was suppossed to work that night although he had told them he couldn’t and Stafford told him “stick the job up your *** and give me my fukin money. I am going to watch the SuperBowl with my friends.” It was awesome.

The 5 teams I hate the most in the order I hate them-

1- Dallas Cowboys
2-NY Jets
3-Philadelphia Eagles
4- Baltimore Ravens
5-San Francisco 49ers

The 5 fan bases I hate the worst

1- San Franisco 49er fans are far and away the most degenerate pieces of trash I have had the displeasure to have contact with. I still have scars on my knuckles.

2-Dallas Cowboys fans are just rude arrogant idiots. Most of them have never even been to the state of Texas.

3- NY Jets fans are pure unadulterated dog feces. They should get their own stadium and close their filthy mouths.

4-New Orleans Saints fans are classless and obnoxious. I will never forget when Jerome Brown passed away and Philadelphia Eagles went to New Orleans Saints to play and their fans that had signs that read “Jerome was an Eagle now he is a Saint” and “it is much better being a Saint than an Eagle isn’t it Jerome.” Pure trash.

5- Chicago Bear have a miserable stadium and miserable crybaby fans.

The classiest fans at away games have to be far and away Green Bay Packers fans. For the most part they are cordial and make you feel welcome.

Most fun away stadium for me is FedEx Field. I love sticking around after the game and watching the band and going to the really nice bar they have there. Real fun time and real fun fans.

buffyblue
02-13-2012, 04:34 PM
I only love NY Giants as my football team.

I could never understand folks that flip flop.

TheBookOfEli
02-13-2012, 04:53 PM
I have a soft spot for the Packers. Back when i was 8 i used to have a Favre jersey that i wore like every week to school lol.

But as i got older i just fell in love with the Giants.

Packers i respect. Classy organization with an amazing fan base, kinda like the Giants!

Teams that i hate?

Only the Philadelphia Eagles. I DETEST that franchise and their fans. Actually, i don't like anything about Philly except Rocky Balboa.

sg92
02-13-2012, 05:04 PM

You missed the point.

sg92
02-13-2012, 05:05 PM
sorry... duplicate post...

gmen46
02-13-2012, 05:53 PM
I always had a soft spot for the Bears after watching Brian's Song when I was a kid . . . .

I know what you mean. I've always had a soft spot for the Washington Sentinals, after watching the Replacements. :)

That's about it. The rest of the NFL teams can go **** themselves.

(Although I do hold in high regard those fans of teams that are, year in and year out, pretty dreadful yet maintain their passion for their team--most especially the older more traditional teams like the Bills, Lions, Bears, Browns. Those fans in particular have had to put up with not just years, but GENERATIONS of terrible teams, with only small windows of greatness that the Bills and the Bears displayed 20-25 years ago.)

Cowboys Fan From Asia
02-13-2012, 07:58 PM
I lived in upstate New York for some time, so I have a soft spot for the Bills.........kind of. They have good and terrible fans alike.

I also like how the Packers are the smallest NFL city/town and also have their unusual shareholder system thing - which I like to pretend emphasizes the good of small-town America.

If the Cowboys had never existed, I'd probably be rooting for one of these teams instead:

1. Bills
2. Jets
3. Oilers/Texans
4. Packers

heavyhitter
02-13-2012, 08:23 PM
<font size="2">No NFL fanbase has been kicked in the balls as much as Cleveland.</font>http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z46/kcochran777/blackguylaughing.gif

Giants892
02-13-2012, 11:42 PM
Packers are the team I always root for wants the Giants are out. My brother is a big Packers fan and so we're always rooting for each other's teams. I wore his Brett Favre jersey last year for the superbowl partso this year hewore my Lawrence Taylor jersey and hat to support me and the Giants. :-) </P>

Baltimore Ill cheer for in the AFC since Joe Flacco when to DE University. (lol one of the only NFL players from my little ole' state DE.) </P>

I also have a soft spot for the Dolphins because my other brother and little sister cheer for them. Plus I feel bad for them this year playing so hard all year and yet starting out 0-7. </P>

Hostetler
02-14-2012, 05:01 PM
gotta go for the Lions - watching Barry sanders play his heart out for a team that refused to surround him with talent</P>

</P>

second is the Steelers - Bang the Drum Slowly - incredible movie and wanting to be Lynn Swann at 12 years old</P>

Martyr
02-14-2012, 05:12 PM
The Browns, their fanbase is loyal and my Dad's side of the family is from Cleveland and are Browns fans. I'd like to see the Browns represent the brown and orange in the biggest game sometime soon.
</P>

If I had a second favorite team it would be the Browns also, I love their uniforms so classic. I'd really like to see them get better soon.</P>

buffyblue
02-14-2012, 10:15 PM

You missed the point.

No I didn’t.

You missed my post prior to the one you quoted.

Cowboys Fan From Asia
02-14-2012, 11:56 PM
The Browns deserve to win a Super Bowl in order to gloat it over the Steelers for a year or two - however temporarily so.

PhilaGiant83
02-15-2012, 12:19 AM
Teams I have a soft spot for besides the G-men???? I'd probably say the Pack and Texans.However I do like the Steelers a lot in the AFC, and since I live amongst Purple Feather tards I find myself cheering them on. It's pretty clear whom I hate:</P>

1). Eagirls</P>

2). F-E-E-T FEET FEET FEET</P>

3). Cowbungs</P>

4). Deadskins</P>

5). Ratbirds.</P>

Bread
02-15-2012, 12:22 AM
Teams I have a soft spot for besides the Giants???? I'd probably say the Pack and Texans.*However I do like the Steelers a lot in the AFC, and since I live amongst Ravens fans I find myself cheering them on.* It's pretty clear whom I hate:</P>

1). Eagles</P>

2). Jets</P>

3). Cowboys</P>

4). Redskins</P>

5). Ravens.</P>

Translation

Bohemian
02-15-2012, 12:56 AM
I have to say that it is important to me that the 49ers do well, as they are my brother's favorite team. He is the only person in my family that I can talk football with.

I have an uncle that is a big Jets fan... but tell him that he is a fool every time. He does not like talking football with me, because he is embarrassed for being wrong.

Being from Latin America, we are very proud of our heritage... but when it comes my uncle; I just rip him up with my Sanchez is horrible rant. Sanchez may be Latino, but he is an absolute disaster as a QB. I love it that Cruz has taken over as the Latino representative of the NFL. My youngest brother likes the Bengals, but he just got attached to them when he was very young and they had their only good years during the 80s. I remember how dominant Anthony Munoz.

My father grew up in Michigan while my Grandfather was doing grad school, so the Lions are his team.

So yeah, the 49ers, Lions and Bengals. I do have great respect for all the classic teams, but I like it when my family get back in their bandwagons, as they are not really hard core fans, other than the 49ers fan.

Bohemian
02-15-2012, 01:03 AM
Teams I have a soft spot for besides the G-men???? I'd probably say the Pack and Texans.However I do like the Steelers a lot in the AFC, and since I live amongst Purple Feather tards I find myself cheering them on. It's pretty clear whom I hate:</p>

1). Eagirls</p>

2). F-E-E-T FEET FEET FEET</p>

3). Cowbungs</p>

4). Deadskins</p>

5). Ratbirds.</p>

LOL! I completely missed on #2 and #5... thanks for the translation. Great stuff.

I have to say that I have no respect for those teams that never show any effort into putting together a strong team. I call them 'thieves'. The Raiders and on that list.

egyptian420
02-15-2012, 01:04 AM
Just G-men for me

There are other teams that I don't hate....but no other team that I have any genuine interest for other than the Giants. Lol I admit I root for Tebow though...

greenca190
02-15-2012, 01:11 AM

Haha, hey now. I don't flip flop. Not by any means. Giants are, and will always be my number one.

I grew up in Western New York. The only reason I am a Giants is because of my father. The only reason why he is, is because of my grandfather. It's a damn good reason to be a Giants fan. I have so much loyalty to this franchise, not just because I love watching them play, but because I would run similar operations by their strategies. I believe the Mara's and Tisch's are fantastic families with outstanding morals that expand well beyond the football world. I also believe that my father was brought up with similar ideas, and that I was as well. I live by such.

But, I also grew up in Western New York. I can't compare Ralph Wilson to Mara and Tisch all that much, but I grew up in Bills country. Go Bills. Buffalo is a hell of a football city, and they do not get the credit that they deserve. Been to many more Bills games then I have Giants (mostly for fiscal reasons), and their fans beat us in noise level, by far.

I was five for the Bills v. Giants super bowl in 1990. It's one of my first memories as a child, and I was rooting for the Giants. Hard.

miked1958
02-15-2012, 01:58 AM
I guess I can't hate the Patriots anymore.* The image of Kraft and having BB be a part of the Giants for a long time kind of keeps me from hating them.*

As a Giants fan I of course hate on the Cowboys and Eagles but I do have a soft spot for the Redskins.* They were a great team in the 1980s but haven't been relevant in years.* I go to their stadium and their fans are kind, even in defeat.

In the AFC I want to see the KC Chiefs do well.* They gave us tremendous applause and a standing ovation the first game after 911.* They have a great stadium, crowd and tradition and they've been down so long I just want to see them do well.

How about you? What team do you sort of pull for that isn't our own team?

Scoops

PS.* It's nice to see the Lions playing well... finally too!

Yes off topic of thread did anyone notice the genuine long hug between TC and BB after the game?

ru_gmen55
02-15-2012, 02:59 AM
I like watching the Steelers play...I simultaneous like and hate the Ravens...the hate stemming from an obvious reason...used to pull for the Jets, but Rexie changed that.

Colts, Bills, Bears...quite a few for me actually...not a lot of hate in my heart when it comes to the NFL...pretty much just the NFC East. Oh...I CAN'T STAND the Saints. For some reason Drew Brees and his rah rah bull crap annoys the crap out of me. Probably because he freaking owns the Giants...who knows.

dave56dj
02-15-2012, 03:28 AM
NOT ONE TEAM BUT BIG BLUE.

I will watch other games and root for fantasy players - but NEVER over big blue. I have never understood fans who can root for other teams - respect it yes - but to me its DIE HARD and only for the boys in blue.

bLuereverie
02-15-2012, 08:44 AM
Dolphins.

I actually enjoyed watching them in the 90s. They're in the AFC. Now, they're the struggling underdogs who every so often, get to punch the Jets and Pats.

I don't think I have any soft spot for an NFC East team whatsoever.

egyptian420
02-15-2012, 08:50 AM

I will watch other games and root for fantasy players - but NEVER over big blue. I have never understood fans who can root for other teams - respect it yes - but to me its DIE HARD and only for the boys in blue.
+1.....I hate it when my fantasy players are playing against us, it puts me in a real awkward situation. Obviously I'm rooting for us to win, but at the same time I want them to have some kind of production so I don't lose.

NJGIANTinNC
02-15-2012, 09:05 AM

+1.....I hate it when my fantasy players are playing against us, it puts me in a real awkward situation. Obviously I'm rooting for us to win, but at the same time I want them to have some kind of production so I don't lose.

fantasy is hard to play when your a die-fan
of any team.
I refuse to have any players from the NFC east that does not play for the Giants.
I also have a hard time playing players that are playing the Giants.
and for some strange reason my fantasy teams always have mostly Giants players.

Paid off this year...
Cruz, Bradshaw, and the Giants D pulled out My week 17 Championship Game.

to think I was happy with making the playoffs
and being fantasy Champ.

- My Afc teams are Charges, and Bengals.
and anyone playing- Egirls, Deadskins, Cowboys. Saints and Pats

KATKAVAGE75
02-15-2012, 09:19 AM
Green Bay Packers - Lombardi, 1st rate organization, Titletown, Lambeau Field, 100,000 population-all Packer Backers, great tailgate, &amp; $4.00 20oz beers at the stadium. Happy that the Giants beat them in the playoffs. I look forward to playing them in the future.

GMenLegacy
02-15-2012, 02:39 PM
Arizona Cardinals. I feel like they are a brother that got kicked out of my home and was adopted by someone else.