PDA

View Full Version : Joe Flacco's Agent says he deserves top 5 QB money bc of W-L record

giantsfan420
02-17-2012, 09:45 AM
what do you guys think? eli only got that after the most improbable super bowl run in NFL history, and he certainly has lived up to that contract.

Doesn't Flacco realize his defense is one of the best defenses of all time? Pretty easy to win when your D holds the other team to 3, 7, or 10 points on the reg...

If he had just been SB MVP I'd say he was being fair, but with no ring, not even an AFC Championship, isn't a little well wrong for him to be demanding to be paid as a top 5 QB?

giantsfan420
02-17-2012, 09:46 AM
i think it goes to show that because of the importance and attention QB's get, they probably have a very high opinion of themselves, I'm sure any top 15 QB will believe he's top 5, the thing is, can you prove it?

gumby742
02-17-2012, 09:46 AM
top 5 money? who are the current top 5 and when did they sign their contracts? But my initial reaction is - he's out of his damn mind.

giantsfan420
02-17-2012, 09:49 AM
top 5 money?* who are the current top 5 and when did they sign their contracts?* But my initial reaction is - he's out of his damn mind.

agreed. if he didn't have a continual top 3 defense, he'd have more ground to stand on...but he DOES have a consistent, year to year, top 3 defense and that is winning a lot more games than Flacco is...how do you think Baltimore WILL and SHOULD handle this?

Flip Empty
02-17-2012, 09:50 AM
It's not Flacco making these demands, it's his agent. He's trying to get them both a big payday and I don't think he's going to succeed.
Flacco has proven himself to be good, but not great, and will probably be paid accordingly.

giantsfan420
02-17-2012, 09:53 AM
It's not Flacco making these demands, it's his agent. He's trying to get them both a big payday and I don't think he's going to succeed.
Flacco has proven himself to be good, but not great, and will probably be paid accordingly.

good point, adjusted title to fit.

i agree but their are teams who need a QB that have SIXTY MILLION in cap space, I can see those teams driving up Flacco's price a ton

gumby742
02-17-2012, 09:56 AM
top 5 money? who are the current top 5 and when did they sign their contracts? But my initial reaction is - he's out of his damn mind. agreed. if he didn't have a continual top 3 defense, he'd have more ground to stand on...but he DOES have a consistent, year to year, top 3 defense and that is winning a lot more games than Flacco is...how do you think Baltimore WILL and SHOULD handle this?</P>

I think they will and should pay him. Flacco might be overrated and blah blah blah blah, but he's still a "franchise" type QB. Meaning, you can win with the guy and he's probably a top 10 QB. You don't just let that kind of QB leave and hope on to find a diamond in the rough. Besides, the Ravens are built to win now.</P>

egyptian420
02-17-2012, 09:59 AM
Lol I don't think anyone is buying this nonsense. But I mean, it's his agent, what do you want him to say? My guy deserves top 15 money?

Flip Empty
02-17-2012, 10:01 AM
Cap-wise, how are the Ravens doing? If Team Flacco plays hardball, perhaps the Ravens become an unlikely #18 sweepstakes entrant?

Mark Sanchez has a similar win/loss record to Flacco, I wonder if he'll try and say he's worth franchise money.

GameTime
02-17-2012, 10:04 AM
he has or I should say the ravens have the most wins for their QB in the last 4 years so he is hanging is hat on that...</P>

Good luck to him and new contract....</P>

MikeIsaGiant
02-17-2012, 10:10 AM
Flacco? Top 5 QB? YEAH, I've heard it all.

W-L is a dumb record for a QB, so many factors go into W-L, not just a QB, quarterback sport? Yeah sure

TheEnigma
02-17-2012, 10:23 AM
You can't judge a QB on a W-L record. You have to sit down and watch his recent tapes from the previous season's games. Is he not getting enough time in the pocket? Does he lack an adequate run game to support him? Are his receivers dropping passes? What kind of system is he used to? Can he read a defense well and audible to another play?

Red Dog
02-17-2012, 11:12 AM
I know this posted as a point-of-interest and all, but do we really care what the Ravens shell out for Flacco? Big money is probably not going to happen this year in FA especially to the extent of past signings. What will be interesting is what P Manning will be offered in FA, especially by the cash-laden Redskins

egyptian420
02-17-2012, 11:20 AM
<font color="#FF0000">Let's bring in Flacco and let him compete with Eli for the job
</font>

Delicreep
02-17-2012, 11:32 AM
Fantastic opening position from team Flacco.

The Ravens will counter, but the dude should and will be paid well.

bgblucru5656
02-17-2012, 11:36 AM
i think he should get top 5 qb salary, IF he was in the top 5. i see him in the top 15, but that 1 before the 5 puts him far away from ELIte staus

FresnoGiant
02-17-2012, 12:09 PM
Mark Sanchez has a similar win/loss record to Flacco, I wonder if he'll try and say he's worth franchise money.

Exactly. I hate when agents/players/talking heads all point to one particular stat and say that's why this player deserves to be ranked top 5. You could find one great stat for almost any player. They can't all be top 5 players. A guy like JPP was great across the boards this season. But he didn't lead the league in any one category. It goes both ways. The guys writing the checks can recognize talent. If they can't they have people on staff who can. These agents have too much influence in my opinion.

CDN_G-FAN
02-17-2012, 12:13 PM
what do you guys think? eli only got that after the most improbable super bowl run in NFL history, and he certainly has lived up to that contract. Doesn't Flacco realize his defense is one of the best defenses of all time? Pretty easy to win when your D holds the other team to 3, 7, or 10 points on the reg... If he had just been SB MVP I'd say he was being fair, but with no ring, not even an AFC Championship, isn't a little well wrong for him to be demanding to be paid as a top 5 QB?</P>

it's flacco's agent.</P>

i'd be saying the same thing, especially in Baltimore.</P>

They haven't had a franchise QB ever (since moving to Baltimore), and Flacco has a good chance to develop into a great QB (Eli's story should be a strong reminder of that).</P>

He doesn't have to be fair. Flacco will get top 5 money somewhere in the NFL if he's a free agent.</P>

You ask teams like Seattle, Miami, KC, Jags(and keep adding to this list), if they could have a QB whose getting better more than getting worse, and they'd be willing to pay top dollar.</P>

nygsb42champs
02-17-2012, 12:15 PM
It is way wrong. There is no way he should be paid like a top 5 QB in the league.

JDE123
02-17-2012, 01:11 PM
If the facts are on your side, argue the facts. If the facts are on the
other guy's side, bang your fist on the table and yell "SHOW ME THE
MONEY!"

It's the agent's job to get the guy as much money as possible, so kudos
to him for finding an angle that he can push - even if it sounds silly.

The Ravens were 5-11 the season before they got Flacco. They've gotten to the playoffs and won at least 1 playoff game every season since with him. They basically got to the Super Bowl this year, but for a Lee Evans drop and a missed field goal.

Am I the only one who thinks that, had he done that in a Giants' jersey, there would a dozen threads on this forum about how underrated he is?

scoopscj
02-17-2012, 01:34 PM
Am I the only one who thinks that, had he done that in a Giants' jersey, there would a dozen threads on this forum about how underrated he is?

There would be 33% saying he is underrated on the Giant's boards, 33% saying they should cut him, and 33% would flip flip their opinion on a game by game basis.

The last 1% will say it's all Gilbride's fault.

Scoops

sharick88
02-17-2012, 01:43 PM
We all know that this is just his agent throwing a dollar amount out there. I am sure they will come to some sort of agreement before the season starts.

Giants10Joe
02-17-2012, 01:44 PM
I see Flacco as being in the 10-15 range behind guys like Cutler, Schaubb, Ryan, and (dare I say it) Romo, but ahead of guys like Bradford, Freeman, and Sanchez. He's competent and won't cost you games, but he won't win them for you either.

G-Man67
02-17-2012, 03:17 PM
ha, well he is obviously not top 5 talent-wise, but when you factor in his age, then that raises his value ... you could argue he is more valuable than Brady, b/c Brady only has a few years left

still, just off the top of my head, i can rattle off 10 QBs that i would rather have for the next 10 seasons (or as many of those 10 that they could play)

Eli

Aaron Rodgers

Ben

Brees (i mean 5 of Brees > 10 Flacco)

Cam Newton

Matt Stafford

Andy Dalton

Romo

Luck

RG3

Firenugget
02-17-2012, 10:48 PM
He should have beaten the Pats. Granted it should have been won, but that would have gone a long way in helping him out with that. I don't think he's anywhere near top 5 money tbh. Sure they won alot of games but he's had a pretty damn good defense there as well, not to mention Ray Rice. It's not like he's carrying them.

gmen0820
02-17-2012, 11:22 PM

There would be 33% saying he is underrated on the Giant's boards, 33% saying they should cut him, and 33% would flip flip their opinion on a game by game basis.

The last 1% will say it's all Gilbride's fault.

Scoops

+1

JJC7301
02-17-2012, 11:39 PM
I think the Ravens should pay Flacco top 5 QB money...so I can have a great laugh.

alau53
02-18-2012, 12:13 AM
his agent should go on mchael kay show so mike can ask him if he's an elite QB..is he a free agent this yr..the ravens pay to keep their defense..flacco deserves 10-12M a yr not much more..if only evans held onto that pass..the diff in eli and flacco mite be ravens big drops and great catches in sb's by tyree & manningham

CDN_G-FAN
02-18-2012, 12:46 AM
ha, well he is obviously not top 5 talent-wise, but when you factor in his age, then that raises his value ... you could argue he is more valuable than Brady, b/c Brady only has a few years left

still, just off the top of my head, i can rattle off 10 QBs that i would rather have for the next 10 seasons (or as many of those 10 that they could play)

Eli

Aaron Rodgers

Ben

Brees (i mean 5 of Brees > 10 Flacco)

Cam Newton

Matt Stafford

Andy Dalton

Romo

Luck

RG3

the question isn't who's he behind in terms of QBs in the NFL that you'd want.

it's who's he behind in terms of who's available.

that has more to do with his market value.

when Eli's contract came up he was NO WHERE NEAR the best QB in the NFL, meaning he was top 10, but no one in their right mind could make an argument that he was the best QB in the league.

but he got the largest contract because relative to what's available out there, that's what his market value probably was. Just like the year before rothlesberger's deal made him the highest paid QB.

Brees' deal will be huge and out of this world, not sure what the new rookie caps will do to luck's deal, but i would imagine that next to brees, Flacco's contract will make him 2nd or 3rd in the league in terms of QB pay.

that's just supply and demand.

NYGRealityCheck
02-18-2012, 01:22 AM
Flacco is under contract to play one more year for the Ravens at $8.19 mil. I don't think he'll get a new contract. If you want to know the effects of the rookie salary cap, Cam Newtown will never make up to $8 mil for one year with his rookie contract. If the team salary cap for 2012 is similar to 2011, Luck will have to end up with a similar contract.

If Flacco somehow does have a ridiculous season, then the Ravens can offer him a new contract or tag him next season if they want to keep him. Otherwise, Ravens might just part ways and jump on a new first-round QB draft pick.

Robert21156
02-18-2012, 10:08 PM
top 5 money?* who are the current top 5 and when did they sign their contracts?* But my initial reaction is - he's out of his damn mind.
this!

Voldamort
02-18-2012, 10:11 PM
what do you guys think? eli only got that after the most improbable super bowl run in NFL history, and he certainly has lived up to that contract.

Doesn't Flacco realize his defense is one of the best defenses of all time? Pretty easy to win when your D holds the other team to 3, 7, or 10 points on the reg...

If he had just been SB MVP I'd say he was being fair, but with no ring, not even an AFC Championship, isn't a little well wrong for him to be demanding to be paid as a top 5 QB? Kurt Warner says no way does flacco make the HOF!

Redeyejedi
02-18-2012, 10:47 PM
Flacco is mediocre and when there D starts to decline he will be exposed.However if your Baltimore u really have no choice.

Flip Empty
02-19-2012, 08:24 AM
Hmm, according to this (http://www.therichest.org/sports/highest-paid-nfl-players-2011/), the 5 highest paid quarterbacks for 2011 were

1. Peyton Manning (23 mil)
2. Sam Bradford (18.4 mill)
3. Tom Brady (18 mil)
4. Michael Vick (15.9 mil)
5. Mark Sanchez (13.5 mil)

Perhaps that's the "top 5" they're talking about?
Viewed this way, Flacco does deserve to be paid "top 5" money.