PDA

View Full Version : Chandler Jones DE Syracuse

TuckYou
02-17-2012, 12:19 PM
As a Syracuse fan, I have got to watch this kid play a lot. He is a very good prospect at the DE spot. Some are saying he can fit into a 3-4 OLB, which he probably can because he can cover somewhat, but I think he is more suited for a 4-3 DE. </P>

I really like him and think he fits the Giants DE mold perfect. He is a long player, at 6'5'' and 265, has a non stop motor and can play a roll similar to JPP, meaning he can play the run and pass. He isnt as athletic as JPP, and who is really?, but I feel like he will be a sleeper DE in the draft and a perfect replacement for Osi. </P>

His brother is Arthur Jones playing DE for the Baltimore Ravens.</P>

I was hoping he would stay under the radar but it seemsTodd McShayhas started honing in on his potential and productivity rescently, pushing him into a late 2nd round - 3rd round pick. And if he performs well at the combine, whoch I think he will, he could even go earlier. </P>

Im hoping we can still get him with our 2nd round pick for the future. Our strength is DE, and we must draft a solid DE once every couple of years. Hopefully we can steal this guy, like we did Tuck in 05 in the 3rd round.</P>

Shockeyitus
02-17-2012, 12:21 PM
He is in all of my mock draft. His other brother is "Bones" Jones, the UFC Champ

Kruunch
02-17-2012, 12:25 PM
I agree although I don't think he's nearly the freak that JPP is.

However I think his stock rises a lot in the days leading up to the draft and he goes early in the second round (definitely before we pick second).

If he's still available at #64 I think there is a good chance we nab him in preparation for an Osi-less future (either this year or next).

critters
02-17-2012, 12:28 PM
&lt;-----Wants him

Kruunch
02-17-2012, 12:37 PM
Now here's a really interesting situation ... if his stock rises as high as I think it will (picks 40-50) do we reach a little and grab him in the first knowing what we do about our love for play making DEs?

I personally would still want one of the TEs (Fleener or Allen) in the first, but I could see the debate being made for this guy.

TuckYou
02-17-2012, 02:35 PM
Now here's a really interesting situation ... if his stock rises as high as I think it will (picks 40-50) do we reach a little and grab him in the first knowing what we do about our love for play making DEs? I personally would still want one of the TEs (Fleener or Allen) in the first, but I could see the debate being made for this guy.</P>

Reese NEVER reaches with the 1st round pick. We wont take him there unless he blows everyone away at the combine and is in Reeses top 32. Reese will take the BPA at 32 which wont be Chandler. </P>

TRading back could be an option though if Reese feels we need more picks to fill a few more holes at LB OL WR and CB since we most likely wont be resigning TT Ross MM KMac...</P>

Kruunch
02-17-2012, 02:49 PM
Now here's a really interesting situation ... if his stock rises as high as I think it will (picks 40-50) do we reach a little and grab him in the first knowing what we do about our love for play making DEs? I personally would still want one of the TEs (Fleener or Allen) in the first, but I could see the debate being made for this guy.</P>

Reese NEVER reaches with the 1st round pick. We wont take him there unless he blows everyone away at the combine and is in Reeses top 32. Reese will take the BPA at 32 which wont be Chandler. </P>

TRading back could be an option though if Reese feels we need more picks to fill a few more holes at LB OL WR and CB since we most likely wont be resigning TT Ross MM KMac...</P>

I dunno about that ... kinda reminds me what they did with Kiwi.

If Jones has a really good Combine, I would expect his draft buzz to push to top of the second or even bottom of the first.

Mostly because of the Giants winning the Super Bowl and the knowledge of how much importance we place on (and the reps of) our DEs.

Now as you pointed out, this means nothing if Reese doesn't rate the kid high enough ... but do you see him being good enough to get a first round grade?

dubee_j
02-18-2012, 12:55 AM
Does anyone have video on this guy?

Scouts Inc have him rated at 24 in the first round, so I'm not sure if taking him in the first round would be considered a reach.

gmen0820
02-18-2012, 01:13 AM
Love Chandler Jones.

myles2424
02-18-2012, 04:44 AM

TRading back could be an option though if Reese feels we need more picks to fill a few more holes at LB OL WR and CB since we most likely wont be resigning TT Ross MM KMac...</P> so now, were aren't Resigning TT & Ross???? Interesting....

TuckYou
02-19-2012, 02:45 PM

TRading back could be an option though if Reese feels we need more picks to fill a few more holes at LB OL WR and CB since we most likely wont be resigning TT Ross MM KMac...</P> so now, were aren't Resigning TT & Ross???? Interesting....
I doubt it. Unless TT songs a cheap one year deal. We are already 7.5 mil over the cap.

TuckYou
02-19-2012, 02:45 PM

I doubt it. Unless TT songs a cheap one year deal. We are already 7.5 mil over the cap.

myles2424
02-21-2012, 06:12 AM

I doubt it. Unless TT songs a cheap one year deal. We are already 7.5 mil over the cap. unless Thomas's injury somehow won't allow him to be the same player, then he'll be right back with a similar deal as kiwi.....
And as far as the cap goes, there's plenty of $$$ to be cleared up....no worries

nycsportzfan
02-21-2012, 07:34 AM

TRading back could be an option though if Reese feels we need more picks to fill a few more holes at LB OL WR and CB since we most likely wont be resigning TT Ross MM KMac...</P> so now, were aren't Resigning TT &amp; Ross???? Interesting.... I doubt it. Unless TT songs a cheap one year deal. We are already 7.5 mil over the cap. unless Thomas's injury somehow won't allow him to be the same player, then he'll be right back with a similar deal as kiwi..... And as far as the cap goes, there's plenty of $$$ to be cleared up....no worries Ya, we better resign TT! With his injury, your actually probably gonna get em a bit cheaper then he would of been, and seeing how we WON the SB the yr he was gone, it could end up working out perfectly for the GIANTS, as we get are young stud CB back a bit cheaper , and we WON the yr he was injured, which is a bonus.. Were probably not resigning Aaron Ross, or Mario Manningham, and possibly trading OSI, so we'll have some doe..

BigBlueOnes
02-21-2012, 08:04 AM
The Jones Clan lives nearly next door to me. He is injury prone however. Bones Jones was just here visiting family and he's a bigger hero than the brothers.

myles2424
02-21-2012, 02:22 PM

TRading back could be an option though if Reese feels we need more picks to fill a few more holes at LB OL WR and CB since we most likely wont be resigning TT Ross MM KMac...</P> so now, were aren't Resigning TT & Ross???? Interesting.... I doubt it. Unless TT songs a cheap one year deal. We are already 7.5 mil over the cap. unless Thomas's injury somehow won't allow him to be the same player, then he'll be right back with a similar deal as kiwi..... And as far as the cap goes, there's plenty of $$$ to be cleared up....no worries* Ya, we better resign* TT!* With his injury, your actually probably gonna get em a bit cheaper then he would of been, and seeing how we WON the SB the yr he was gone, it could end up working out perfectly for the GIANTS, as we get are young stud CB back a bit cheaper , and we WON* the yr he was injured, which is a bonus..** Were probably not resigning Aaron Ross,* or Mario Manningham, and possibly trading OSI, so we'll have some doe.. I think if Mario gets away it's going to come back to bite us, we don't have a WR that can be a 3rd WR like he can....

TuckYou
02-22-2012, 01:18 PM

so now, were aren't Resigning TT &amp; Ross???? Interesting.... I doubt it. Unless TT songs a cheap one year deal. We are already 7.5 mil over the cap. unless Thomas's injury somehow won't allow him to be the same player, then he'll be right back with a similar deal as kiwi..... And as far as the cap goes, there's plenty of $$$ to be cleared up....no worries Ya, we better resign TT! With his injury, your actually probably gonna get em a bit cheaper then he would of been, and seeing how we WON the SB the yr he was gone, it could end up working out perfectly for the GIANTS, as we get are young stud CB back a bit cheaper , and we WON the yr he was injured, which is a bonus.. Were probably not resigning Aaron Ross, or Mario Manningham, and possibly trading OSI, so we'll have some doe.. I think if Mario gets away it's going to come back to bite us, we don't have a WR that can be a 3rd WR like he can....</P>

Like letting Steve Smith get away? Next man up. Already hearing they expect Jernigan to play a bigger role as a WR. If we sign MM, we cant resign Nicks and Cruz... </P>

Kruunch
02-22-2012, 03:18 PM
I was on the fence about Jones and I think I fell off the wrong side.

Doesn't excel at pass rushing and seems more like a 3-4 DE to me.

Given that he's probably a Day 1 draft pick (Rd 2-3) I don't see blowing that pick on a guy who doesn't fit our system well.

nycsportzfan
02-22-2012, 06:22 PM

so now, were aren't Resigning TT &amp; Ross???? Interesting.... I doubt it. Unless TT songs a cheap one year deal. We are already 7.5 mil over the cap. unless Thomas's injury somehow won't allow him to be the same player, then he'll be right back with a similar deal as kiwi..... And as far as the cap goes, there's plenty of $$$ to be cleared up....no worries Ya, we better resign TT! With his injury, your actually probably gonna get em a bit cheaper then he would of been, and seeing how we WON the SB the yr he was gone, it could end up working out perfectly for the GIANTS, as we get are young stud CB back a bit cheaper , and we WON the yr he was injured, which is a bonus.. Were probably not resigning Aaron Ross, or Mario Manningham, and possibly trading OSI, so we'll have some doe.. I think if Mario gets away it's going to come back to bite us, we don't have a WR that can be a 3rd WR like he can....</P>

Like letting Steve Smith get away? Next man up. Already hearing they expect Jernigan to play a bigger role as a WR. If we sign MM, we cant resign Nicks and Cruz... </P> I was very high on Jerrell Jerrnigan last yr, and i totally expect him to be given a legit crack at the 3rd wr spot if mario is to leave.. If jerrnigan is to work out, he could be eerily similar to percy harvin, which is who he reminds me of...

BlueSanta
02-22-2012, 07:05 PM
Now here's a really interesting situation ... if his stock rises as high as I think it will (picks 40-50) do we reach a little and grab him in the first knowing what we do about our love for play making DEs? I personally would still want one of the TEs (Fleener or Allen) in the first, but I could see the debate being made for this guy.</p>

Reese NEVER reaches with the 1st round pick. We wont take him there unless he blows everyone away at the combine and is in Reeses top 32. Reese will take the BPA at 32 which wont be Chandler. </p>

TRading back could be an option though if Reese feels we need more picks to fill a few more holes at LB OL WR and CB since we most likely wont be resigning TT Ross MM KMac...</p>

so now, were aren't Resigning TT &amp; Ross???? Interesting.... I doubt it. Unless TT songs a cheap one year deal. We are already 7.5 mil over the cap. unless Thomas's injury somehow won't allow him to be the same player, then he'll be right back with a similar deal as kiwi..... And as far as the cap goes, there's plenty of $$$ to be cleared up....no worries Ya, we better resign TT! With his injury, your actually probably gonna get em a bit cheaper then he would of been, and seeing how we WON the SB the yr he was gone, it could end up working out perfectly for the GIANTS, as we get are young stud CB back a bit cheaper , and we WON the yr he was injured, which is a bonus.. Were probably not resigning Aaron Ross, or Mario Manningham, and possibly trading OSI, so we'll have some doe.. I think if Mario gets away it's going to come back to bite us, we don't have a WR that can be a 3rd WR like he can....</p>

Like letting Steve Smith get away? Next man up. Already hearing they expect Jernigan to play a bigger role as a WR. If we sign MM, we cant resign Nicks and Cruz... </p> I was very high on Jerrell Jerrnigan last yr, and i totally expect him to be given a legit crack at the 3rd wr spot if mario is to leave.. If jerrnigan is to work out, he could be eerily similar to percy harvin, which is who he reminds me of...

I liked JJ too. I still see a problem with him, or rather his position. He is best suited to play the slot and I think that was where he was intended to play. However, I think at this point Cruz has cemented his dominance as the slot guy in 3 Wr sets. I do not know if I like JJ nearly as much on the outside and it would be a shame to move Cruz outside when he so clearly couldnt be stopped on the inside.

Its kind of bad luck for JJ, he comes to a team just as they found a diamond in the rough at the same position he was supposed to play.

BigBlue2010
02-22-2012, 08:04 PM
Could this guy be Kiwi Jr? I think it will be another contract year for Mathias.

myles2424
02-22-2012, 10:56 PM

so now, were aren't Resigning TT & Ross???? Interesting.... I doubt it. Unless TT songs a cheap one year deal. We are already 7.5 mil over the cap. unless Thomas's injury somehow won't allow him to be the same player, then he'll be right back with a similar deal as kiwi..... And as far as the cap goes, there's plenty of $$$ to be cleared up....no worries* Ya, we better resign* TT!* With his injury, your actually probably gonna get em a bit cheaper then he would of been, and seeing how we WON the SB the yr he was gone, it could end up working out perfectly for the GIANTS, as we get are young stud CB back a bit cheaper , and we WON* the yr he was injured, which is a bonus..** Were probably not resigning Aaron Ross,* or Mario Manningham, and possibly trading OSI, so we'll have some doe.. I think if Mario gets away it's going to come back to bite us, we don't have a WR that can be a 3rd WR like he can....</P>

Like letting Steve Smith get away? Next man up. Already hearing they expect Jernigan to play a bigger role as a WR. If we sign MM, we cant resign Nicks and Cruz... </P> letting a guy get away because you can't afford him & letting a guy get away because of a nasty injury are totally different things....

TuckYou
02-27-2012, 02:18 PM

Like letting Steve Smith get away? Next man up. Already hearing they expect Jernigan to play a bigger role as a WR. If we sign MM, we cant resign Nicks and Cruz... </P>

letting a guy get away because you can't afford him &amp; letting a guy get away because of a nasty injury are totally different things....</P>

True. My point was though, that MM can be and will be replaced with a WR on a rookie contract. How many thought we were in trouble letting Smith go? Nearly everyone on this board. Then Cruz emerged. </P>

KennyPhillips21
02-27-2012, 03:15 PM
Ya went to the same hs as him he did get injured a lot, very nice guy though and good head on his shoulders dads a pastor believe it or not lol

C1010
03-21-2012, 08:11 PM
Where is Chandler projected to go?

bLuereverie
03-21-2012, 09:13 PM

Mid to late second

Kase-1
03-21-2012, 10:40 PM

Mid to late secondId rather take Vinny Curry from Marshall (http://youtu.be/sslDB7OXUpc)

BlueSanta
03-22-2012, 02:40 PM

Mid to late secondId rather take Vinny Curry from Marshall (http://youtu.be/sslDB7OXUpc)

Curry is a good player. However Jones is a natural LDE, but can play RDE in a pinch too and Curry is just projected as a RDE. Thats why Jones is a better fit for us. He played out of position at Syracuse on the right side. The Giants like guys they can move around like that tho.

Jones can be groomed behind Tuck and spell him when he needs rest/ recover from injury.

Last year, we used JPP ,Tolly, and to a lesser degree Canty to replace Tuck when he was injured. JPP's production was greatly reduced when on the left side. Tolly is a FA, but even if he is resigned he is very poor vs the run on that side and not a full time player. Canty is much more productive elsewhere along the Dline.

That is why I like Jones for us.

Redeyejedi
03-22-2012, 02:46 PM

Scouts Inc have him rated at 24 in the first round, so I'm not sure if taking him in the first round would be considered a reach.Yeah if your looking for prospect videos go 2 the thread marked 2012 Draft Film Room there are about 400 videos there that Ive made and the other vid guys from www.Draftbreakdown.com

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftx60vRJyYg&context=C4f53ed3ADvjVQa1PpcFOajC42vBiKUsJj9PxEnIsG dZFpu3-Fv3k=

http://draftbreakdown.com/chandler-jones-vs-west-virginia

Kruunch
03-22-2012, 03:52 PM

Scouts Inc have him rated at 24 in the first round, so I'm not sure if taking him in the first round would be considered a reach.Yeah if your looking for prospect videos go 2 the thread marked 2012 Draft Film Room there are about 400 videos there that Ive made and the other vid guys from www.Draftbreakdown.com

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftx60vRJyYg&context=C4f53ed3ADvjVQa1PpcFOajC42vBiKUsJj9PxEnIsG dZFpu3-Fv3k=

http://draftbreakdown.com/chandler-jones-vs-west-virginia

Is it me or does he just not look all that impressive? He has a great bull rush and pass awareness, but a very mediocre speed rush and is almost a liability against the run.

That's what I got out of those two videos in any event.

TuckYou
04-26-2012, 10:57 AM
Looking back through this thread, it's amazing what a couple of months in the offseasoncan do. </P>

When I made this thread, Chandler was not talked about much and was ranked to be about a 3rd rounder. </P>

Now Mayock has him ranked the #9 best prospect on his board, OVERALL! Wow. He just said Chandler could be the best defensive player in this draft in a couple of years. </P>

I love Chandler Jones, and if we could get him at 32, Im all for it. I cant believe how much hype this guy has rolling with him right now. Crazy. </P>

I think he is going to be like a Justin Tuck type DE. Im ALL IN for him. Hope he slides.</P>

Redeyejedi
04-26-2012, 11:04 AM
Looking back through this thread, it's amazing what a couple of months in the offseason*can do. </P>

When I made this thread, Chandler was not talked about much and was ranked to be about a 3rd rounder. </P>

Now Mayock has him ranked the #9 best prospect on his board, OVERALL! Wow. He just said Chandler could be the best defensive player in this draft in a couple of years. </P>

I love Chandler Jones, and if we could get him at 32, Im all for it. I cant believe how much hype this guy has rolling with him right now. Crazy. </P>

I think he is going to be like a Justin Tuck type DE. Im ALL IN for him. Hope he slides.</P>Its why Ive started to "?" Mayock. He didnt used to change his rankings based on scouts opinion before.

Kruunch
04-26-2012, 11:04 AM
I could see the Giants picking him but I wouldn't be thrilled by it.

Jones just doesn't do that much for me.

Redeyejedi
04-26-2012, 11:08 AM

Jones just doesn't do that much for me.Good player but I prefer more of an edge rusher. Im surprised how high mayock has him ranked

TuckYou
04-26-2012, 11:09 AM
Looking back through this thread, it's amazing what a couple of months in the offseasoncan do. </P>

I think he is going to be like a Justin Tuck type DE. Im ALL IN for him. Hope he slides.</P>

Its why Ive started to "?" Mayock. He didnt used to change his rankings based on scouts opinion before.</P>

Mayock knows whats up with the big names though. He is my favorite analyst. I think he just started watching him on film more and was amazed. Jones was beastly at times for the Orange. He really was a one man wrecking crew on a bad team. </P>

I like Mayock in the first 3 rounds and Kiper in the last 4. Kiper knows about everyone, but doesnt always have the early guys figured out. He is good for the detailed analysis of the 3rd CB for App St. though. lol. </P>

Redeyejedi
04-26-2012, 11:13 AM
Looking back through this thread, it's amazing what a couple of months in the offseason*can do. </P>

Its why Ive started to "?" Mayock. He didnt used to change his rankings based on scouts opinion before.</P>

Mayock knows whats up with the big names though. He is my favorite analyst. I think he just started watching him on film more and was amazed. Jones was beastly at times for the Orange. He really was a one man wrecking crew on a bad team. </P>

I like Mayock in the first 3 rounds and Kiper in the last 4. Kiper knows about everyone, but doesnt always have the early guys figured out. He is good for the detailed analysis of the 3rd CB for App St. though. lol. </P>I like Mayock the best but this year he has really flipped his rankings. Thats the Kiper ,Mcshay thing to do. They start getting inside info right before the draft and they change the mocks and rankings.

RagTime Blue
04-26-2012, 11:14 AM
Looking back through this thread, it's amazing what a couple of months in the offseasoncan do. </p>

When I made this thread, Chandler was not talked about much and was ranked to be about a 3rd rounder. </p>

Now Mayock has him ranked the #9 best prospect on his board, OVERALL! Wow. He just said Chandler could be the best defensive player in this draft in a couple of years. </p>

I love Chandler Jones, and if we could get him at 32, Im all for it. I cant believe how much hype this guy has rolling with him right now. Crazy. </p>

I think he is going to be like a Justin Tuck type DE. Im ALL IN for him. Hope he slides.</p>

Its why Ive started to "?" Mayock. He didnt used to change his rankings based on scouts opinion before.</p>

Mayock knows whats up with the big names though. He is my favorite analyst. I think he just started watching him on film more and was amazed. Jones was beastly at times for the Orange. He really was a one man wrecking crew on a bad team. </p>

<font size="5">I like Mayock in the first 3 rounds and Kiper in the last 4. Kiper knows about everyone, but doesnt always have the early guys figured out.</font> He is good for the detailed analysis of the 3rd CB for App St. though. lol. </p>

Yeah, the rap on Kiper is that he's a good talent-evaluator, but just not really in touch with NFL teams and their needs/methodologies.

Seriously though, I'd like an explanation from Mayock on how this guy's stock rises so much without playing in a single game.

Redeyejedi
04-26-2012, 11:31 AM
I posted the 2 Chandler Jones Vids didnt post this 1 though

http://draftbreakdown.com/chandler-jones-vs-uconn-2011

michaelkhan3
04-26-2012, 02:20 PM
I think Jones is a good player but I don't think he is a first round talent on the tape I've seen of him. I've watched a couple and with his inside moves. He is also quite strong and he uses his long arms pretty well but that isn't gonna work as a pass rusher in the NFL. Its not just the fact that he doesn't beat people on the outside he doesn't look like he can run around a OT. In his game against Pitt he caught an interception and then got caught from behind by Pitt's LT yes he got caught by a LT. I think he could be more suited to playing 3-4 DE if he puts on some weight, I doubt it he plays 3-4 OLB

Kruunch
04-26-2012, 02:44 PM

Jones just doesn't do that much for me.Good player but I prefer more of an edge rusher. Im surprised how high mayock has him ranked

Exactly.

Shockeyitus
04-26-2012, 02:48 PM

Exactly.

there are a lot of "edge" rushers in this draft. Perry, Curry, Mercilius, Branch, Vernon or Cam Johnson. I agree that Jones would be a very good player, but he seems like a poor mans JPP. We have other needs in round 1.

michaelkhan3
04-26-2012, 02:59 PM

Exactly.

there are a lot of "edge" rushers in this draft. Perry, Curry, Mercilius, Branch, Vernon or Cam Johnson. I agree that Jones would be a very good player, but he seems like a poor mans JPP. We have other needs in round 1.

Very poor man I would go as far as say a hobos JPP

BlueSanta
04-26-2012, 09:05 PM
No Mayock does not change his mind based on "other analyst." I have said this about him before, the reason he is more accurate than Kiper and McShay is because he still has connections around the league.

Half of these guys job is to rate players. The other half is guessing where they will go. Mayock is, in my opinion, about the same or slightly better than the other analysts at rating players. However, he is miles above anyone else at guessing where they will go mostly because he has better insight than others. Most teams HATE Kiper and McShay, as do the players. They will not get talked to. Mayock is respected and liked and therefor he gets tidbits the others do not.

Strahan4gov
04-26-2012, 11:03 PM
looks like the pats traded up for him