PDA

View Full Version : Assume we trade Osi

Shockeyitus
02-17-2012, 03:02 PM
Kiwi goes back down on the line</P>

Do we draft Zac Brown # 32 overall?</P>

Shockeyitus
02-17-2012, 03:15 PM
Brown looks like a good prospect. However, this Nick Perry kid from USC is intriguing.

nycsportzfan
02-17-2012, 03:31 PM

I'd be hoping Whitney Mercilus drops to us, personally... We make a living off pass rushers, and Mercilus is a turnover creating machine, who has underrated athletic ability, and a very high ceiling, as a young "justin tuck" type of pass rusher.. JPP, Kiwi, Mercilus, and Tuck continues to give us a big time crop of pass rushers, and keeps us pretty much set for the forseeable futureat the positon.. I think Mercilus is very underrated at this point and would not be surprised if he goes in the late teens by draft day.. </P>

I also don't think we nessecarily go Defense in RD 1, even if we trade OSI.. If a guy like Dwayne Allen or Mike Adams slips to us, it'll be tough to let them go by the wayside.. Plus you'll have the ex pick or picks from OSI trade to load up on whatever side of the ball u choose, so u can still use those picks to get defense later on or whatever... </P>

Kruunch
02-17-2012, 03:39 PM

I doubt we trade Osi (we wouldn't get the value he provides playing out his contract).

And even if we do we have more than enough LBers to take Kiwi's place to mitigate the need in the first round.

I don't see us taking Zach Brown (or any LBer) in the first round.

Kruunch
02-17-2012, 03:42 PM

I'd be hoping Whitney Mercilus drops to us, personally...* We make a living off pass rushers, and Mercilus is a turnover creating machine, who has underrated athletic ability, and a very high ceiling, as a young "justin tuck" type of pass rusher..* JPP, Kiwi, Mercilus, and Tuck* continues to give us a big time crop of pass rushers, and keeps us pretty much set for the forseeable future*at the positon.. I think Mercilus is very underrated at this point* and would not be surprised if he goes in the late teens by draft day.. </P>

I also don't think we nessecarily go Defense* in RD 1*, even if we trade OSI.. If a guy like Dwayne Allen or Mike Adams slips to us, it'll be tough to let them go by the wayside..* Plus you'll have the ex pick or picks from OSI trade to load up on whatever side of the ball u choose, so u can still use those picks to get defense later on or whatever...* </P>

Mercilus would almost be a lock for us if he drops to #32. Can't imagine he will considering the premium on pass rushers in general and especially after our post-season run.

slipknottin
02-17-2012, 04:02 PM
Zach Brown plays really soft, and he gets lost on the field at times. Plus the giants already have a couple good outside linebackers, its middle linebacker that they have a hole.

Have no interest in Brown either way

bLuereverie
02-17-2012, 04:22 PM
I don't see Brown being any more reliable against the run than any of our LBers currently on the roster. If anyone moves Kiwi back to DE, it'd be Goff, not Brown.

juice33s
02-17-2012, 06:13 PM
Kiwi goes back down on the line</p>

Do we draft Zac Brown # 32 overall?</p><font size="4">

I doubt we trade Osi (we wouldn't get the value he provides playing out his contract).
</font>
And even if we do we have more than enough LBers to take Kiwi's place to mitigate the need in the first round.

Wouldn't get the value? He has 1 year remaining on his contract with the virtual impossibility of resigning him after that said season.

He's on the other side of 30 now and it would be the perfect time to sell high. ESPN's Dan Graziano (http://espn.go.com/blog/nfceast/post/_/id/36349/why-i-would-trade-osi-umenyiora) said it best,

"He's at peak value and they can afford to lose him. That's a confluence
of circumstances that doesn't come around too often. As a pure business
decision, trading Umenyiora this summer is the right thing for the
Giants to do."

bLuereverie
02-17-2012, 07:00 PM
Whatever Giants get in return, won't be of equal value.

It may very well come down to the scenario of having to trade him, but it's still early to tell. Last thing that should be done is trade away a known pass rushing commodity, something that gives the Giants' D its identity, prematurely.

BigBlueFanNJ
02-18-2012, 12:28 AM
If we do not trade Osi or renegotiate his contract watch him come up with some mysterious injury that vanishes should we make another playoff run!!</P>

I would love Osi to come back if he performed and behavedlikethe last part of the season but if he does notget his raise I see trouble!!</P>

BlueSanta
02-18-2012, 02:23 AM

</font>

Wouldn't get the value? He has 1 year remaining on his contract with the virtual impossibility of resigning him after that said season.

He's on the other side of 30 now and it would be the perfect time to sell high. ESPN's Dan Graziano (http://espn.go.com/blog/nfceast/post/_/id/36349/why-i-would-trade-osi-umenyiora) said it best,

Giants to do."

But again, Dan's article doesnt really address the issues surrounding this hypothetical trade. Its nice in theory, but not in practice for a variety of reasons that ALL stem from Osi's incredible contract demands last year. Last year, the media kinda bashed the Giants on the issue without ever really looking at the cause of the problem, which was absolutely Osi's inflated demands.

As we know, the Giants will seek fair value in trade. Most right now feel that would be about a 2nd round pick. Absolutely Nobody is going to trade a 2nd round pick, or even a 3rd round pick for a guy who has 1 year left on his deal. This means, Osi will have to agree to a new contract with whatever team we are trading as a prerequisite for the trade. If he demands top 5 DE salary, as he did last year he will kill any deal before it happens. Teams just arent going to pay that, just like we wouldnt. Also, any team that is going to have contract negotiations will want to let their docs have a look at him. Remember, last year Osi hid an injury from both the Giants and all potential trade partners. Come trade time, that IS going to be an issue.

BluGiantPies
02-18-2012, 10:43 AM

I'd think wed take kuechley if he fell all the way to our pick

buffyblue
02-18-2012, 11:34 AM

If Zac Brown is available you take him. He is a TarHeel and we love TarHeels on NY Giants especially at linebacker.

I doubt Zac Brown will be available.

lawl
02-18-2012, 12:38 PM

</font>

Giants to do."

But again, Dan's article doesnt really address the issues surrounding this hypothetical trade. Its nice in theory, but not in practice for a variety of reasons that ALL stem from Osi's incredible contract demands last year. Last year, the media kinda bashed the Giants on the issue without ever really looking at the cause of the problem, which was absolutely Osi's inflated demands.

As we know, the Giants will seek fair value in trade. Most right now feel that would be about a 2nd round pick. Absolutely Nobody is going to trade a 2nd round pick, or even a 3rd round pick for a guy who has 1 year left on his deal. This means, Osi will have to agree to a new contract with whatever team we are trading as a prerequisite for the trade. If he demands top 5 DE salary, as he did last year he will kill any deal before it happens. Teams just arent going to pay that, just like we wouldnt. Also, any team that is going to have contract negotiations will want to let their docs have a look at him. Remember, last year Osi hid an injury from both the Giants and all potential trade partners. Come trade time, that IS going to be an issue.

Also factor in that we'd probably get a 3rd round comp pick if he leaves as a FA and signs to a big contract

Raptor22
02-18-2012, 01:10 PM
Honestly, I see Brown going to the eagles. He fits their mold: stupidly athletic, but with motivational issues, and a reach at their position.

Now, if Kuechly happens to be sitting there at 32... (Pre-combine I've got him at ~20. Could rise or fall 12 spots based on his workout)

gmen0820
02-18-2012, 01:18 PM
Glorified Jock Williams. I've never really been a fan of the UNC LBers the past couple years.

The most interest I had would have probably been Sturdivant in the 6th. Wasn't a fan of Bruce Carter, and not a fan of Zach Brown.

Mr. Zolo
02-19-2012, 09:00 PM

I think the Giants could get the value out of trading Osi. I doubt Osi would get a 1st round pick, but the way he played when he came back, he'd get a 2nd round pick for sure. I say the Seahawks trade a 2nd for Osi, because they really need a pass rusher and at $3+ million a year, that would be beneficial for the Seahawks. The Giants would be in a more friendly cap situation paying less money for a 2nd round pick overall over the enxt few years.

Win-Win for the Giants. The could take Mark Barron, Cordy Glenn, or Dwayne Allen/Coby Fleener (assuming any of them are there) with their 1st round pick and focus more on something like O-Line with 2 second round picks (maybe Kevin Zietler, Brendon Washington, Kelechi Osemele, or Bobby Massie.

Shockeyitus
02-20-2012, 12:54 PM

I doubt we trade Osi (we wouldn't get the value he provides playing out his contract). And even if we do we have more than enough LBers to take Kiwi's place to mitigate the need in the first round. I don't see us taking Zach Brown (or any LBer) in the first round. I think the Giants could get the value out of trading Osi. I doubt Osi would get a 1st round pick, but the way he played when he came back, he'd get a 2nd round pick for sure. I say the Seahawks trade a 2nd for Osi, because they really need a pass rusher and at $3+ million a year, that would be beneficial for the Seahawks. The Giants would be in a more friendly cap situation paying less money for a 2nd round pick overall over the enxt few years. Win-Win for the Giants. The could take Mark Barron, Cordy Glenn, or Dwayne Allen/Coby Fleener (assuming any of them are there) with their 1st round pick and focus more on something like O-Line with 2 second round picks (maybe Kevin Zietler, Brendon Washington, Kelechi Osemele, or Bobby Massie.</P>

Your idea is valued.. however, as someone else pointed out on this thread. No one is going to trade a 2nd or even a 3rd for a guy with one year left on his contract. If Osi agrees to a long term deal with a potential suitor, then a 2nd rounder is worth the trade. </P>

In regards to your pick selection... Mark Barron is a nice player, but no way do we take in round 1. Cordy Glenn will bea fine pro, but not in the Giants system. Fleener or Allen are both options. Round 2 I wouldnt object to any of these picks at # 64. However, I think Zeitler is off the board by then. </P>

Dirt66
02-24-2012, 08:38 PM
Let's NOT..........We keep Osi and win ANOTHER SUPER BOWL!!!!!

RoanokeFan
02-24-2012, 08:42 PM

Do we draft Zac Brown # 32 overall?</p>

Who says Kiwanuka goes back to DE?