PDA

View Full Version : Why Not Center / Guard Konz ?

BlueBlitzer
02-18-2012, 04:30 AM
The Center Exchange has had bad times lately. We lost O'Hara, and our FA got hurt this year. Booth did an admirable job filling in. Coach Flaherty has worked wonders converting guards to snapping the ball. But isn't it about time we drafted a true Center ?

slipknottin
02-18-2012, 04:47 AM
people always get caught up in this "true" "natural" position thing.

Its completely meaningless. Either a guy can do the job at that position or not.

BlueBlitzer
02-18-2012, 04:56 AM
This kid is a beast. And there is something about someone who has played center at a high level for 4 years Versus someone who has to be coached up as insurance.

nhpgiantsfan
02-18-2012, 06:23 AM
Kind of agree, I really think JR was hoping Pouncey was still on the board when we picked last year. If I remember correctly Miami grabbed him just a few picks ahead of us.

BlueBlitzer
02-18-2012, 09:15 AM
We probably paid more for Bass, than if we had drafted Pouncey.

TheEnigma
02-18-2012, 09:20 AM
We probably paid more for Bass, than if we had drafted Pouncey.Eh, Pouncey was horribly overrated for the Center position only because his twin brother happens to be an All-Pro.

I'd rather have Zeitler at the end of round 2 who has been working on snapping the ball and offering Center versatility along with playing Guard.

BlueBlitzer
02-18-2012, 10:31 AM
Remembering Bart Oates and Brian Williams, we didn't need to address the Center Pos, for years.

Voldamort
02-18-2012, 11:02 AM
The Center Exchange has had bad times lately. We lost O'Hara, and our FA got hurt this year. Booth did an admirable job filling in. Coach Flaherty has worked wonders converting guards to snapping the ball. But isn't it about time we drafted a true Center ? What about Jim Cordle played center at OSU?Already on team!

BlueBlitzer
02-18-2012, 11:24 AM
The Center Exchange has had bad times lately. We lost O'Hara, and our FA got hurt this year. Booth did an admirable job filling in. Coach Flaherty has worked wonders converting guards to snapping the ball. But isn't it about time we drafted a true Center ? What about Jim Cordle played center at OSU?Already on team!

Compared to Konz, He's training camp fodder.

tonyt830
02-18-2012, 11:30 AM
Who knows, maybe with more OTAs, camp and preseason this year, Baas will improve at the center position. I think the lockout last season affected many players with the lack of reps.</P>

</P>

</P>

I for one like both Konz and Zeitler from Wisconsin. Maybe if the coaches feel Konz can start at C for us, maybe they slide Baas to LG. But in that case, I hate to see Boothe sit on the bench, since he did a very good job filling in at both C and G. But on the other hand, we would have very good depth at the C and G position.</P>

</P>

Like Enigma mentioned, maybe if Konz is gone at 32, the Giants may turn to a Zeitler in the late 2nd rd or possibly 3rd(if he drops), if they want to address the interior O-line.</P>

</P>

</P>

I would not mind seeing them take an OT either at 32 or maybe in the mid rds. Adams from Ohio St may be available at 32. I would not mind seeing a Potter from Boise St in the 3rd or 4th rd.</P>

swimeasy
02-18-2012, 11:38 AM
Remembering Bart Oates and Brian Williams, we didn't need to address the Center Pos, for years.

I'm with you BlueBlitzer. The experiment at center needs to be resolved for the long term. The potential indirect costs to the balanced offense and Eli's physical well being will only increase as defending Super Bowl Champs.

If Konz is still available (a big if), hoping that JR will view him as the BPA that will also meet an ongoing need. He is definitely a beast.

That said, if Konz is still available and someone else is selected, I do trust that it is because JR/TC have discussed this in detail and have a plan to move forward. This year there will be the benefit of having camp competition and vetting.

nhpgiantsfan
02-18-2012, 12:40 PM

You left out O'Hara. He was damn good, and in my opinion a big time leader in the clubhouse. I know it was a no brainer but he was our biggest loss this year. Really wish he could've been hear to enjoy one more ring. Richie too!

ShakeNBake
02-18-2012, 01:26 PM
I wouldn't be upset at all if we picked up a linemen in the first or second

myles2424
02-18-2012, 02:35 PM
With the running game they've had,those Wisconsin linemen are tempting