PDA

View Full Version : Osi's trade value

LondonGman
02-18-2012, 12:00 PM
Ok, GM game - you are approached to trade Osi ahead of trade deadline.

What is the absolute minimum draft pick you need to agree to this?

No more than five word answers.

GO.

CDN_G-FAN
02-18-2012, 12:14 PM
onfield value > what you'd get in a trade

keep him and make him play the last year.

Gimaniac
02-18-2012, 12:23 PM
onfield value > what you'd get in a trade

keep him and make him play the last year.

x2

Voldamort
02-18-2012, 12:23 PM
2 and 5

Gimaniac
02-18-2012, 12:26 PM
2 and 5

How'd that work out in the Shockey trade ?

Hint: It didn't

dave56dj
02-18-2012, 01:51 PM
Doing something or not doing something because a smart decision of value didn't work out in the past is the epitome of stupidity.

That said I'm not advocating trading Osi - but if we cant extend him and he will be a headache again a 2nd and a 5th is good value.

ShakeNBake
02-18-2012, 01:59 PM
2 and 5

If only Jeremy could shut his mouth......maybe he'd have two rings and actually play in the superbowl this time.

Gimaniac
02-18-2012, 02:07 PM
Doing something or not doing something because a smart decision of value didn't work out in the past is the epitome of stupidity.

That said I'm not advocating trading Osi - but if we cant extend him and he will be a headache again a 2nd and a 5th is good value.

Yes, name calling works well when you have no point to make.

NYCDBS
02-18-2012, 02:08 PM
2 and 5

If only Jeremy could shut his mouth......maybe he'd have two rings and actually play in the superbowl this time.

I agree with you on the shutting his mouth point... However he has 2 rings and he did play in a superbowl... Even caught a touchdown pass...

dave56dj
02-18-2012, 02:46 PM
POint was made and didn't call anyone a name.

pica01
02-18-2012, 02:48 PM
If you want short answers,go tweet yourself.

manning to shockey
02-18-2012, 02:52 PM
Shockley does have 2 rings. One with NYG and the other with the Saints.

pica01
02-18-2012, 03:42 PM
The best you can expect for a 30+ old,even great pass rusher with health questions is a 3rd rounder.The only thing we do have going for us, however,is that we're not in a if we don't trade him we'll have to cut him because we can't afford next years cap #.Like Peyton,for instance.He's worth nothing trade wise.The Colts are going to have to release him.At 4 million,Osi's not a trade or release guy.It really comes down to what or if Reese actually promised Osi something.Only Osi and Reese know the truth.If Reese promised Osi a new deal,I expect he'll honor that and trade him somewhere they'll pay him what we can't or won't.He'll get the most he can.If Reese didn't promise anything,he holds the moral highground between the 2 men.He doesn't need to except a lowball offer and has every right to make Osi play out this last year.Whatever happens will speak volumns.Osi knows the truth.If Reese makes him return,he won't be happy.But if Reese didn't promise Osi anything,Osi's gonna have to suck it up and perform towards free agency the next year.If Reese did promise Osi and doesn't deliver,then it's gonna get ugly.And Osi would have every right to make it ugly.Ugly doesn't help either guy or the team.It really doubt it'll come to that.If Osi's telling the truth Reese will trade him or upgrade next year.If no promise was made,Osi may,like it or not,have to suck it up.Becoming a cancer and tanking it doesn't make Osi money going foward if Reese brings him back.And if Reese brings him back,I'll believe no promises were made.Your Question is a good one.Why you wouldn't want people to explain thier answer,however,baffles me.Sorry about the go tweet yourself comment.Thought it was a good line.Also,sorry again if this post goes up without spacing.I spaced.I'm more Bill Walsh then Bill Gates when it comes to computer skills.

DVision
02-18-2012, 03:51 PM
I can almost see what will happen. Although Osi was instrumental in the resurgence of the defense late in the season, his value has actually dropped from the previous season due to his injury this year. I see Osi playing for the Giants next season , but he will holdout to avoid camp (ala Strahan) and the media will make a huge deal out of it and say Osi is a cancer, malcontent, etc...

The reality is Osi is under contract next season whether he likes it or not. I keep reading all the articles about what are the Giants gonna do about Osi! Simple they don't HAVE to do anything! Causing problems or sitting out next season will only hurt his stock! Osi is not an idiot! He knows this and will play his butt off as he always does when on the field!

GameTime
02-18-2012, 03:58 PM
The best you can expect for a 30+ old,even great pass rusher with health questions is a 3rd rounder.The only thing we do have going for us, however,is that we're not in a if we don't trade him we'll have to cut him because we can't afford next years cap #.Like Peyton,for instance.He's worth nothing trade wise.The Colts are going to have to release him.At 4 million,Osi's not a trade or release guy.It really comes down to what or if Reese actually promised Osi something.Only Osi and Reese know the truth.If Reese promised Osi a new deal,I expect he'll honor that and trade him somewhere they'll pay him what we can't or won't.He'll get the most he can.If Reese didn't promise anything,he holds the moral highground between the 2 men.He doesn't need to except a lowball offer and has every right to make Osi play out this last year.Whatever happens will speak volumns.Osi knows the truth.If Reese makes him return,he won't be happy.But if Reese didn't promise Osi anything,Osi's gonna have to suck it up and perform towards free agency the next year.If Reese did promise Osi and doesn't deliver,then it's gonna get ugly.And Osi would have every right to make it ugly.Ugly doesn't help either guy or the team.It really doubt it'll come to that.If Osi's telling the truth Reese will trade him or upgrade next year.If no promise was made,Osi may,like it or not,have to suck it up.Becoming a cancer and tanking it doesn't make Osi money going foward if Reese brings him back.And if Reese brings him back,I'll believe no promises were made.Your Question is a good one.Why you wouldn't want people to explain thier answer,however,baffles me.Sorry about the go tweet yourself comment.Thought it was a good line.Also,sorry again if this post goes up without spacing.I spaced.I'm more Bill Walsh then Bill Gates when it comes to computer skills.</P>

Sobasically what you are saying is the Giants aren't in a trade or cut situation with Osi and whatever went on between Osi and Reese is between them and they of course know the truth. One sentence same idea was put across.</P>

BTW....you do ramble and repeat yourself in many of your posts/responses. Just sayin'...[;)]</P>

RagTime Blue
02-18-2012, 04:23 PM
Nobody is going to pay Osi a big extension salary AND give us a 1st or even 2nd round pick.

Nobody is going to "rent" him (trade for him w/o extending his contract) for a season for a 1st or 2nd rounder either.

If I'm wrong, then I say, "Jerry, pull the trigger". And you can talk about how JR botched the last 2nd + 5th (Sintim &amp; Bomar), or look at how well he's done since Reese wisened-up, and the CBA basically mandated teams draft "keepers".

Now if Osi plays for us, and has even an average season by his standards, someone will offer him a FA contract that would net us a 3-4 round "sandwich" (after 3rd before 4th) pick. Reese can't reasonably expect to do much better than this if he trades Osi anyway.

Keeping him for another year would help us in case of injuries to other players, AND squeeze a talented guy looking to prove a big year before Free Agency.

I suspect JR will keep #72 for another season, and then let the market and our needs dictate Osi's fate.

Gimaniac
02-18-2012, 04:24 PM
I can almost see what will happen. Although Osi was instrumental in the resurgence of the defense late in the season, his value has actually dropped from the previous season due to his injury this year. I see Osi playing for the Giants next season , but he will holdout to avoid camp (ala Strahan) and the media will make a huge deal out of it and say Osi is a cancer, malcontent, etc...

The reality is Osi is under contract next season whether he likes it or not. I keep reading all the articles about what are the Giants gonna do about Osi! Simple they don't HAVE to do anything! Causing problems or sitting out next season will only hurt his stock! Osi is not an idiot! He knows this and will play his butt off as he always does when on the field!

Exactly. Why would anyone want to trade another year of having Osi for a 2nd(or 3rd) round draft pick ?

berya
02-18-2012, 04:57 PM
2 and 5

Can't look at it that way. Every trade and every pick is different.

I would take a 2 and 5. I really hope he stays and plays out the season though.

Gimaniac
02-18-2012, 05:08 PM
2 and 5

Why would you take a 2 and 5 if you want him to stay ?

ShakeNBake
02-18-2012, 06:01 PM
2 and 5

I agree with you on the shutting his mouth point... However he has 2 rings and he did play in a superbowl... Even caught a touchdown pass...

I was referring to his tenure here, I should've said "two rings with us" I know he won another with Carolina

berya
02-18-2012, 06:03 PM
2 and 5

If he starts the whole contract fiasco again and forces Reese's hand then I would want a 2 and 5 because that's what I think he is worth. But if given the choice I don't want him going anywhere.

pica01
02-18-2012, 06:20 PM
You're right.I can be redundant,repeat myself,say the same thing more than once a different way....just kidding.But yeah,I think what was actually said between the 2 men will ultimately determine what happens.Did I say that already?

Dorothy
02-18-2012, 06:28 PM

GO.

leave Osi alone. He is part of the Giant family. And no crap about this being a business. He's proven his worth to THIS team.

Gimaniac
02-18-2012, 06:36 PM
2 and 5

If he starts the whole contract fiasco again and forces Reese's hand then I would want a 2 and 5 because that's what I think he is worth. But if given the choice I don't want him going anywhere.

I don't see how he can force Reese's hand. He tried that last year and got nowhere. If he sits out, he pays $30,000 a day fine, so that ain't happening. What else can he do? Hold his breath till he turns blue?

Seems like Reese is in the driver's seat here.

Roosevelt
02-18-2012, 07:30 PM
I trust JR on this.

GameTime
02-18-2012, 07:47 PM
You're right.I can be redundant,repeat myself,say the same thing more than once a different way....just kidding.But yeah,I think what was actually said between the 2 men will ultimately determine what happens.Did I say that already?</P>

[Y]</P>

gmen46
02-18-2012, 08:38 PM

GO.

Five word answer-----Osi is not getting traded.

Voldamort
02-18-2012, 09:22 PM
The best you can expect for a 30+ old,even great pass rusher with health questions is a 3rd rounder.The only thing we do have going for us, however,is that we're not in a if we don't trade him we'll have to cut him because we can't afford next years cap #.Like Peyton,for instance.He's worth nothing trade wise.The Colts are going to have to release him.At 4 million,Osi's not a trade or release guy.It really comes down to what or if Reese actually promised Osi something.Only Osi and Reese know the truth.If Reese promised Osi a new deal,I expect he'll honor that and trade him somewhere they'll pay him what we can't or won't.He'll get the most he can.If Reese didn't promise anything,he holds the moral highground between the 2 men.He doesn't need to except a lowball offer and has every right to make Osi play out this last year.Whatever happens will speak volumns.Osi knows the truth.If Reese makes him return,he won't be happy.But if Reese didn't promise Osi anything,Osi's gonna have to suck it up and perform towards free agency the next year.If Reese did promise Osi and doesn't deliver,then it's gonna get ugly.And Osi would have every right to make it ugly.Ugly doesn't help either guy or the team.It really doubt it'll come to that.If Osi's telling the truth Reese will trade him or upgrade next year.If no promise was made,Osi may,like it or not,have to suck it up.Becoming a cancer and tanking it doesn't make Osi money going foward if Reese brings him back.And if Reese brings him back,I'll believe no promises were made.Your Question is a good one.Why you wouldn't want people to explain thier answer,however,baffles me.Sorry about the go tweet yourself comment.Thought it was a good line.Also,sorry again if this post goes up without spacing.I spaced.I'm more Bill Walsh then Bill Gates when it comes to computer skills.</P>

So*basically what you are saying is the Giants aren't in a trade or cut situation with Osi and whatever went on between Osi and Reese is between them and they of course know the truth. One sentence same idea was put across.</P>

BTW....you do ramble and repeat yourself in many of your posts/responses. Just sayin'...[;)]</P> OK two and a five