PDA

View Full Version : GIANTS' POSITION ANALYSIS: TIGHT END

RoanokeFan
02-19-2012, 11:10 AM
GIANTS' POSITION ANALYSIS: TIGHT END (http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/article_external/new_york_giants_position_analysis_tight_end/9992179)

"This is the first in a seriesanalyzing the state of each position for
the New York Giants.

Coming into this past championship season, the Giants’ Front Office faced
heavy criticism for not addressing the tight end position and letting their
premier tight end, Kevin Boss, who is now with the Oakland Raiders, walk.
However, the Giants knew what their game plan was for the tight end position and
recognized the talent they had in Jake Ballard, who replaced Kevin Boss quite
effectively. However, the Giants lost their top two receiving tight ends in Jake
Ballard and Travis Beckum to ACL tears in the Super Bowl. ACL tears can take up
to nine months to recover from, and possibly even longer with heavier players
like tight ends.
</p>

<span style="TEXT-DECORATION: underline">Who the Giants
Have:</span></p>

<span style="TEXT-DECORATION: underline">Travis Beckum</span>- He suffered an
ACL tear in the Super Bowl and will likely miss most of the season. Even so,
Beckum has not displayed the ability to take over the tight end position. He is
not the most reliable target and is nearly useless when called to block. He is
no more than a backup tight end. He was thought to be the starter coming into
the season, but ended with 93 yards on 5 catches and a touchdown, down from 116
yards off 13 receptions and 2 touchdowns in 2010. Not the direction you would
want a player to go in.</p>

<span style="TEXT-DECORATION: underline">Christian Hopkins</span>- Not much
is known about the practice squad tight end from Toledo University, but the
Giants have expressed confidence in him to step in for Ballard. He could
possibly become a Ballard 2.0 and climb up the depth chart and possibly get
looks at the starting job. His performance can heavily affect how the Giants
approach the draft and free agency.</p>

<span style="TEXT-DECORATION: underline">Free Agents on the
Giants:</span></p>

<span style="TEXT-DECORATION: underline">Jake Ballard</span>- The breakout
tight end on the Giants this past season. It is very unfortunate he ended a
solid season (38 receptions for 604 yards and 4 touchdowns) with an ACL tear.
Ballard was also bothered by a PCL injury late in the season. He is an Exlusive
Rights free agent that will most likely return. He can win the starting job back
if he can return before the end of the season or can come back if the Giants
make the playoffs. His versatility as a blocker and a pass catcher earned him
the starting job. While he has had some huge games, his only problem is his
dropped passes, but that be worked on and it is not a major issue.</p>

<span style="TEXT-DECORATION: underline">Bear Pascoe</span>- Pascoe is a
restricted free agent but will most likely return with the injuries the Giants
have. Pascoe is primarily a blocking tight end, and a very talented one as well.
Pascoe can play fullback as well. The Giants value blocking as much as, if not
more, than receiving skills, which is why they will bring him back. He did prove
to be a decent receiver, racking up 5 receptions for 39 yards and a touchdown in
the final two games of the postseason. He is not very quick but he is reliable
on short pickups.</p>

<span style="TEXT-DECORATION: underline">Notable Free
Agents:</span>
</p>

There are many huge names in free agency such as Fred Davis and Jermichael
Finley, but they are either too expensive for the Giants’ tight salary cap or
most likely returning to their respective teams. There are a few that the Giants
may consider, however.</p>

<span style="TEXT-DECORATION: underline">Jeremy Shockey</span>- He has been
linked to a return to New York. He had a decent season with four touchdown
catches as the #2 TE alongside Greg Olsen. However, his injury history is not
ideal for the Giants’ current situation.</p>

<span style="TEXT-DECORATION: underline">Visanthe Shiancoe</span>- Speaking
of former Giants tight ends, Shiancoe is on the free agent market. While he did
not have a stellar season, he did face QB problems with the Vikings. He is an
undervalued tight end that could fit the bill in New York.</p>

<span style="TEXT-DECORATION: underline">Jacob Tamme</span>- It seems as if
he fell off the map with the return of Dallas Clark this season. However, it has
just been a year when he emerged with Peyton Manning and caught 67 passes in
2010. He is not big for a tight end (236 pounds) but his agility makes him ideal
from a receiving standpoint.</p>

<span style="TEXT-DECORATION: underline">Draft:</span></p>

<span style="TEXT-DECORATION: underline">Dwayne Allen</span>- He is the top
tight end in the upcoming draft from Clemson. He is a versatile player who can
block and run routes very well. He could possibly be available when the Giants
pick 32.<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LpjcojhNdk">Dwayne Allen
Analysis</a></p>

<span style="TEXT-DECORATION: underline">Coby Fleener</span>- Andrew Luck’s
go to tight end is also entering the draft. He is projected to go into the 2nd
round and has high upside. He is also a versatile player like Dwayne Allen, as
can be seen with his 10 touchdown receptions. Fleener is also intimidating,
standing at 6’6?, which can make him an effective red zone target.<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VntqR5-2Ng">Coby Fleener
Highlights</a></p>

<span style="TEXT-DECORATION: underline">Conclusion</span></p>

Ibelievethe Giants will stand strong like they did last season and utilize
the players on the roster. They have faith in Christian Hopkins and he can
easily see playing time from Week 1. But with the emergence of the tight end in
recent years, such as Jimmy Graham and Rob Gronkowski, the Giants may draft a
prospect in within their first few picks in the draft. As for Pascoe and
Ballard, I would expect the Giants to bring them back next season.</p>

The speculation of Mario Manningham makes things interesting. While they
might find someone to replace him in free agency (I will discuss this in a
future article), there is a possibility that New York uses a double tight end
set more often this season, like the Patriots and Panthers did in 2011. The
double tight end set creates mismatches in the passing game, because athletic
tight ends are too quick for linebackers to cover but to big for defensive backs
to cover. It also keeps defenses guessing because if a double tight end set is
used in the passing game, it makes it less predictable for when the offense
decides to run the ball.</p>

If the Giants strike gold at the tight end position next season, the Giants
can become more dangerous than they were this past season on offense."</p>

BlueSanta
02-19-2012, 01:04 PM
Its a good read. But, you have to keep in mind he is a 1st article
blogger, in other words, a guy who wrote his opinion on this internet
having no real connection or inside information. He is effectively as
informed as any poster in these forums.

That said, I do not agree with, nor do I understand his conclusions. He
says we will "find the solution within our own roster." Considering we
have zero TEs on our roster right now who can go next eyar, unless you count Hopkins off the practice squad, I do not understand how we "will find the solutions on our roster."

I understand he believes we resign Ballard and possibly Pascoe as well. But, Ballard will be out for as long as Beckum. Even if we resigned everyone he says, we would still only have Pascoe and Hopkins ready to go for next year. That just isnt enough.

Giants10Joe
02-19-2012, 01:27 PM
I've seen a lot articles/mock drafts saying that the Giants will take a TE in the first round (usually they say Allen). I don't buy it. We don't need a guy like Gronk or Graham for our offense to work (not saying that wouldn't be nice, but there are other positions we rely on more that we can address in the first round). I tend to agree with this article more. I think the Giants will bring back Pascoe and hope Hopkins can contribute next year. They will also probably sign a veteran FA for cheap (Shiancoe and Tamme seem like good fits, but I can't see Reese bringing Shockey back) and/or draft a TE in round 3-6.

giantsfan420
02-19-2012, 01:54 PM
allen has the bigger body, but fleener is a consistent downfield threat and i think he'd kill it in our offense.

he has tremendous speed and route running ability, but he also can block. they ran a pro system at stanford, i think he could start day 1 for us here

chasjay
02-19-2012, 02:20 PM
I've seen a lot articles/mock drafts saying that the Giants will take a TE in the first round (usually they say Allen). I don't buy it. <font color="#FF0000">We don't need a guy like Gronk or Graham for our offense to work</font> (not saying that wouldn't be nice, but there are other positions we rely on more that we can address in the first round). I tend to agree with this article more. I think the Giants will bring back Pascoe and hope Hopkins can contribute next year. They will also probably sign a veteran FA for cheap (Shiancoe and Tamme seem like good fits, but I can't see Reese bringing Shockey back) and/or draft a TE in round 3-6.

Serious question here - if we did have a TE with the skills set of a Gronkowski or Jimmy Graham, how much would our offense have to change to make full use of them? I honestly don't know if the Pats or Saints drastically alter their offense to take advantage of their TE's capabilities. Would we have to give up something regarding our WR schemes to be able to take full advantage of a game-changing TE?

GMENAGAIN
02-19-2012, 04:06 PM
Its a good read. But, you have to keep in mind he is a 1st article blogger, in other words, a guy who wrote his opinion on this internet having no real connection or inside information. He is effectively as informed as any poster in these forums.

That said, I do not agree with, nor do I understand his conclusions. He says we will "find the solution within our own roster." Considering we have zero TEs on our roster right now who can go next eyar, unless you count Hopkins off the practice squad, I do not understand how we "will find the solutions on our roster."

I understand he believes we resign Ballard and possibly Pascoe as well. But, Ballard will be out for as long as Beckum. Even if we resigned everyone he says, we would still only have Pascoe and Hopkins ready to go for next year. That just isnt enough.
</P>

Yeah, where has Shockey been linked with a return to the Giants??? No chance that the Giants have even considered this.</P>

BlueBlitzer
02-19-2012, 05:37 PM
You just know Jerry Reese will fix the TE pos. But beware! JR is sneaky good about hiding who they really covet in the draft. If He starts talking up OL or LBer, He may be looking to pounce on Allen, But I'm thinking Fleeny.

Roswell777
02-19-2012, 05:49 PM
Please Mr Reese, no Shockey and no Burress.

Please.

RoanokeFan
02-19-2012, 06:09 PM

have zero TEs on our roster right now who can go next eyar, unless you count Hopkins off the practice squad, I do not understand how we "will find the solutions on our roster."

It's not meant to be gospel, it's just someone's opinion.

RoanokeFan
02-19-2012, 06:11 PM
You just know Jerry Reese will fix the TE pos. But beware! JR is sneaky good about hiding who they really covet in the draft. If He starts talking up OL or LBer, He may be looking to pounce on Allen, But I'm thinking Fleeny.

Because they like Ballard and Beckum, they may look for a FA for a one year deal. like Kawika Mitchell and that worked out pretty well.

Toadofsteel
02-19-2012, 07:33 PM
Please Mr Reese, no Shockey and no Burress.

Please.

This.

No SS12 while we're at it, either.

All these guys wanted to play for themselves, not the team. As much as we give Eli credit for his leadership, it's still a team effort. Everyone on that team gets a ring, not just one player. Even the practice squad (which is where the "I got a ring" video came from anyway)

Gimaniac
02-19-2012, 07:40 PM
"If the Giants strike gold at the tight end position next season, the Giants can become more dangerous than they were this past season on offense."

lol, If my aunt had b***s, she'd be my uncle.

NYGRealityCheck
02-19-2012, 07:41 PM
I think the Giants will have the time and luxury to re-sign Ballard because of his injury (if they want to). No other team is gonna sign him knowing full well he's going to miss a good amount (if not all) of the next regular season and if he'll ever be back to normal again. There's just no point to dedicate cap space to re-sign Ballard this early in the offseason.

Beckum- Beckum has such a small print on the salary cap ($153K signing bonus) and also it's going to be his last contract year. The Giants (again knowing full well he might miss most or all of next season and if he'll ever be back to normal) might end up watching him linger on the injury list and turn into a FA. If the Giants are financially forced to tap into his $565K base salary (not probable but slightly possible) due to salary cap reasons, he might be gone. This might happen during the regular season, not necessarily before.

Chris Hopkins - He is praised by Reese, which is a good start...

Financially, it would be better to address the TE situation in the salary-capped rookie draft if possible as suppose to free agency, especially when the team is running tight with cap space.

BlueSanta
02-19-2012, 07:51 PM

And thats all i was pointing out. When I followed the link about the Author of that article, in part because he hinted at inside info as to shockey, then saw he had 1 article written(this 1) I knew it is no different than a post in a forum.

Giants10Joe
02-19-2012, 07:57 PM
I've seen a lot articles/mock drafts saying that the Giants will take a TE in the first round (usually they say Allen). I don't buy it. <font color="#FF0000">We don't need a guy like Gronk or Graham for our offense to work</font> (not saying that wouldn't be nice, but there are other positions we rely on more that we can address in the first round). I tend to agree with this article more. I think the Giants will bring back Pascoe and hope Hopkins can contribute next year. They will also probably sign a veteran FA for cheap (Shiancoe and Tamme seem like good fits, but I can't see Reese bringing Shockey back) and/or draft a TE in round 3-6.

Serious question here - if we did have a TE with the skills set of a Gronkowski or Jimmy Graham, how much would our offense have to change to make full use of them? I honestly don't know if the Pats or Saints drastically alter their offense to take advantage of their TE's capabilities. Would we have to give up something regarding our WR schemes to be able to take full advantage of a game-changing TE?

I don't think we would need to change anything. If anything having a guy like that would help Nicks and Cruz because there is one more guy on the field deserving of double coverage. However, what I'm saying is that unlike the Pats who have no down field threat, we don't need an elite TE. I would rather draft OL or LB in the first round and then address TE in a later round or free agency. And I suspect that is what Jerry Reese will do (although of course I have no way to know for sure).

Toadofsteel
02-19-2012, 08:08 PM

I don't think we would need to change anything. If anything having a guy like that would help Nicks and Cruz because there is one more guy on the field deserving of double coverage. However, what I'm saying is that unlike the Pats who have no down field threat, we don't need an elite TE. I would rather draft OL or LB in the first round and then address TE in a later round or free agency. And I suspect that is what Jerry Reese will do (although of course I have no way to know for sure).

^This. The only reason Gronk and Hernandez got the ball so much was because Welker was the only credible deep threat in the pats wideouts...

Voldamort
02-19-2012, 08:28 PM
informed as* any poster in these forums.

*I understand he believes we resign Ballard and possibly Pascoe as well. But, Ballard will be out for as long as Beckum. Even if we resigned everyone he says, we would still only have Pascoe and Hopkins ready to go for next year. That just isnt enough.

Key word opinion Jerry will make the right choice,he is playing with house money right now!

BlueSanta
02-19-2012, 08:32 PM

^This. The only reason Gronk and Hernandez got the ball so much was because Welker was the only credible deep threat in the pats wideouts...

I agree they had little in the way of deep threat, but that has little to do with why they got the ball so much. And FYI, Welker is not a big deep threat, he is a YAC reciever. Gronk is a better deep threat than Welker(Career YPC higher as well as this year's by ~2 yards in both cases.)

The recent rule changes relating to recievers and DBs helps TE's and slot recievers more than anyone. It used to be a TE crossing the field got mauled by a LBs. Now, a TE cant be touched after 5 yards. In particluar, 3-4 defenses have suffered vs TEs this year. It has always been a core principle of the 3-4 that any crossing routes near a ILB was to be disrupted, that just cant happen anymore. NFL defenses will have to adjust. They havent yet, pass interference was up big this year. Slot guys thrived this year too.

JJC7301
02-19-2012, 10:03 PM
I've seen a lot articles/mock drafts saying that the Giants will take a TE in the first round (usually they say Allen). I don't buy it. We don't need a guy like Gronk or Graham for our offense to work (not saying that wouldn't be nice, but there are other positions we rely on more that we can address in the first round). I tend to agree with this article more. I think the Giants will bring back Pascoe and hope Hopkins can contribute next year. They will also probably sign a veteran FA for cheap (Shiancoe and Tamme seem like good fits, but I can't see Reese bringing Shockey back) and/or draft a TE in round 3-6.

+1. Sign a cheap FA if necessary (Shiancoe, if he's actually "cheap") and wait to see if Ballard can eventually come back 100%, along with Pascoe.

Ballard and Pascoe were a VERY good combo, and cheap. I'm not interested in a 1st round expensive TE. I'm more interested in keeping Nicks and Cruz around long term.

lawl
02-19-2012, 10:10 PM

+1. Sign a cheap FA if necessary (Shiancoe, if he's actually "cheap") and wait to see if Ballard can eventually come back 100%, along with Pascoe.

Ballard and Pascoe were a VERY good combo, and cheap. I'm not interested in a 1st round expensive TE. I'm more interested in keeping Nicks and Cruz around long term.

The 32nd pick in the draft doesn't make that much money.

JJC7301
02-19-2012, 10:21 PM

The 32nd pick in the draft doesn't make that much money.
I think we can adequately hold down the TE spot until Ballard comes back (hopefully, he comes back). I'd rather see the 1st be spent somewhere else, but then again, if TE is the actual BPA at the 32nd pick, then I'd guess that I'd have to go with it.

nygsb42champs
02-20-2012, 08:15 AM
Very good read. I think they have to add a TE early in the draft. They might be high on Hopkins but can they be lcuky enohg to strike gold twice with undrafted TE?