PDA

View Full Version : Just think..... we could have had Rivers and Merriman..

rebelfan1966
02-19-2012, 04:43 PM
That comment used to be said in a negative, anti-Eli, way... but oh how the roles have flipped.... not it is said in a "Thank God we got Eli instead" way.

MikeSherrard
02-19-2012, 06:00 PM
Love it!

Diamondring
02-19-2012, 06:23 PM
Awesome indeedy

Toadofsteel
02-19-2012, 06:31 PM
This is where i'm happy that Mara doesn't listen to hot-headed fans like some of us. I know I was calling for TC's head (and especially PF) after the djax game. Even this season I wanted PF gone. I'm still not entirely sold on him, but now i'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.

lawl
02-19-2012, 07:16 PM
Actually we would have had Ben and two other guys. Highly unlikely that we draft merriman. But anyway.

Pakman
02-19-2012, 07:19 PM
Actually we would have had Ben and two other guys. Highly unlikely that we draft merriman. But anyway.

I think it is pretty clear we would of either been rolling with Big Ben or Eli...Rivers was 3rd on our list lol

Rivers might be a great QB with some...but if I had to choose between Big Ben and Rivers....Big Ben would be my pick Everytime

bleedinblue27
02-19-2012, 07:35 PM
well there has been talk of if Rivers was in NY, we would of had 3 rings by now!! LOL </P>

</P>

GOD BLESS MY 2X SUPER BOWL MVP ELI MANNING!!! XLII &amp; XLVI!!! </P>

</P>

scoopscj
02-19-2012, 08:05 PM
We would have had Ben, Chargers had Eli and the Steelers would have had Rivers.

Let's see...... so Eli and Ben = 2 rings, Rivers in a week division yearly with Ladamian T, Gates, Vincent Jackson, Junior Seau, Merrimen, and a pro bowl kicker Keading have zero. (yea minus Seau, LT, and Merrimen now but still, to quote Chris Carter "Come on Man"

juice33s
02-19-2012, 08:30 PM
Don't forget about Nate Kaeding

stormblue
02-19-2012, 10:13 PM
yes , i remember wanting Roth or Rivers over ELI.
i didn't think Eli was as good as either one of them.

Roosevelt
02-19-2012, 10:35 PM
yes , i remember wanting Roth or Rivers over ELI.
i didn't think Eli was as good as either one of them.

I didn't want them over Eli at first, but I did think in 2010 that we could have been just as successful with either one while not giving up all those picks.

Harooni
02-19-2012, 10:41 PM

+1

but it all worked out.

JJC7301
02-19-2012, 11:08 PM
That comment used to be said in a negative, anti-Eli, way... but oh how the roles have flipped.... not it is said in a "Thank God we got Eli instead" way.
Eli's had me pulling hair out of my head over his career, but I never looked back on that trade. I admit that I would have stayed put and taken either Ben or Rivers instead of giving up additional picks to get Eli, but once they did it I had no problem with it.

QUESTION: Do you think SD fans still feel like they got the better of the deal?

Voldamort
02-19-2012, 11:14 PM
That comment used to be said in a negative, anti-Eli, way... but oh how the roles have flipped.... not it is said in a "Thank God we got Eli instead" way. and no rings if they had Rivers

GameTime
02-19-2012, 11:15 PM
Not going to sit there tell you I haven't been pissed at Eli from time to time. But always wanted him and never wished for Rivers, Merriman, or anyone else. Name one player who you,ve never been pissed at one time or another??...</P>

</P>

Voldamort
02-19-2012, 11:16 PM
We would have had Ben, Chargers had Eli and the Steelers would have had Rivers.*

Let's see......* so Eli and Ben = 2 rings,* Rivers in a week division* yearly with Ladamian T, Gates, Vincent Jackson, Junior Seau, Merrimen, and a pro bowl kicker Keading have zero.** (yea minus Seau, LT, and Merrimen now but still, to quote Chris Carter "Come on Man"

when your right your right the Giants would have no rings if Rivers played for them!

rebelfan1966
02-20-2012, 12:33 AM
Eli's had me pulling hair out of my head over his career, but I never looked back on that trade. I admit that I would have stayed put and taken either Ben or Rivers instead of giving up additional picks to get Eli, but once they did it I had no problem with it.

I'm guessing the SD fans are about as excited over Rivers right now as the Cowboy fans are over Romo...

JJC7301
02-20-2012, 12:42 AM

I'm guessing the SD fans are about as excited over Rivers right now as the Cowboy fans are over Romo...
Rivers is a darn good QB, and while Romo is as well IMO, Rivers is better.

I don't think the Chargers would have one a SB with Eli. I think the Giants have had better all around teams and their ability to get to the QB is a difference maker. Not taking ANYTHING away from Eli, but he played on better teams with better coaching.

If the SD fans should be mad about anything, they should be mad that they traded Brees.

bflo23
02-20-2012, 12:51 AM
I will take Eli over either Big Ben or Rivers straight up. Only a fool would take Big Ben or Rivers over Eli.

Even if Big Ben or Rivers came with a 1st round pick steroid head Merriman and 3rd round pick Kaeding, I would still take Eli. And when you think about Big Ben's character and off field issues with the ladies, it is more reason to prefer Eli..... It has to be difficult to root for Big Ben and the whiny Rivers.

giantsfan420
02-20-2012, 12:53 AM

I don't think the Chargers would have one a SB with Eli. I think the Giants have had better all around teams and their ability to get to the QB is a difference maker. Not taking ANYTHING away from Eli, but he played on better teams with better coaching.

If the SD fans should be mad about anything, they should be mad that they traded Brees.

what??? SD had the most talent of any team for years. Merriman was a beast before he stopped roiding, they had talent and pro bowlers everywhere, they had a superior OL, TE, WR, DB's and LB's...we had the better DL i'll grant u that, but SD had a great DL too and when u factor Merrimen practically being a DE, SD had more than enough talent for Rivers to get them to a SB.

Eli in no way played on the better team until the playoffs 2007, thats when everything seemed to click. the d wasn't great during the 07 reg. season...

maybe coaching was better, but TC was always getting put on the hot seat, and we had a revolving door at OC and DC, where SD had Rivera (AMAZING DC) and Norv Turner running the offense...Rivers couldnt get it done in SD, and imho, wouldnt be able to get it done here

they also played in a much more favorable division and location...sunny, windless SD does wonders for qb's

JJC7301
02-20-2012, 01:00 AM

what??? SD had the most talent of any team for years. Merriman was a beast before he stopped roiding, they had talent and pro bowlers everywhere, they had a superior OL, TE, WR, DB's and LB's...we had the better DL i'll grant u that, but SD had a great DL too and when u factor Merrimen practically being a DE, SD had more than enough talent for Rivers to get them to a SB.

Eli in no way played on the better team until the playoffs 2007, thats when everything seemed to click. the d wasn't great during the 07 reg. season...

maybe coaching was better, but TC was always getting put on the hot seat, and we had a revolving door at OC and DC, where SD had Rivera (AMAZING DC) and Norv Turner running the offense...Rivers couldnt get it done in SD, and imho, wouldnt be able to get it done here

they also played in a much more favorable division and location...sunny, windless SD does wonders for qb's
Back in '07, SD was also playing in a much tougher AFC when the Pats were 18-0, the Colts were still good, and Pitt was dangerous.

Don't get me wrong -- I think that Eli is the best QB out of the '04 draft and I wouldn't trade him for the world. But I think that Rivers is a very good QB who has only 1 bad year (this year).

I'm not saying that SD didn't have talent because they certainly did / do, but I was never as high on them as others. To be fair, getting past NE, Indy, and Pitt at that time just to get to a SB was damn hard, but they never were able to do it. And then, of course, the Giants were able to beat the 18-0 Pats while SD couldn't get it done.

I do believe that the Giants have had better all around teams than SD (including coaching). I'm not saying much better, but better.

bflo23
02-20-2012, 01:10 AM

If Eli was playing for the Chargers, he would have at least 1 championship. In 2006, Chargers were 14-2 and had the 1st ranked offense and the 7th ranked defense. That team was stacked with +1800 rushing yard Tomlinson, Michael Turner (backup), Antonio Gates (nearly 1000 yards), Vincent Jackson.... And the defense was one of the better defenses. And the Chargers had the benefit of playing in an easy division with the perfect weather conditions.

Chargers defense held the Pats to only 14 points.... And Rivers could only score 3 points vs the Pats defense? Rivers was terrible in that game with like 200 yards, 1 interception, 43% comp and 55% rating. And he had a few terrible post season games. Chargers underperformed and Rivers was a main reason for it....... Eli with the chargers best offense and 7th ranked defense would have beaten the Patriots and beaten Peyton Manning's 2nd ranked offense and 21st ranked defense. In 2009, Chargers had 13-3 record with 4th ranked offense and another good D. And no way is Eli losing to the Jets and Sanchez like Rivers did. If Eli were to beat the Jets, he would then have to face Peyton in Indy and that would be a battle..... And then face the Saints in SB.

JJC7301
02-20-2012, 01:19 AM
What move do you all think that SD regrets more: Eli forcing the trade (and them winding up with Rivers), or SD not sticking with Brees?

I don't know what they were thinking when they got rid of Brees.

JJC7301
02-20-2012, 01:20 AM

If Eli was playing for the Chargers, he would have at least 1 championship. In 2006, Chargers were 14-2 and had the 1st ranked offense and the 7th ranked defense. That team was stacked with +1800 rushing yard Tomlinson, Michael Turner (backup), Antonio Gates (nearly 1000 yards), Vincent Jackson.... And the defense was one of the better defenses. And the Chargers had the benefit of playing in an easy division with the perfect weather conditions.

Chargers defense held the Pats to only 14 points.... And Rivers could only score 3 points vs the Pats defense? Rivers was terrible in that game with like 200 yards, 1 interception, 43% comp and 55% rating. And he had a few terrible post season games. Chargers underperformed and Rivers was a main reason for it....... Eli with the chargers best offense and 7th ranked defense would have beaten the Patriots and beaten Peyton Manning's 2nd ranked offense and 21st ranked defense. In 2009, Chargers had 13-3 record with 4th ranked offense and another good D. And no way is Eli losing to the Jets and Sanchez like Rivers did. If Eli were to beat the Jets, he would then have to face Peyton in Indy and that would be a battle..... And then face the Saints in SB.

Good points. I have to concede.

bflo23
02-20-2012, 01:27 AM
What move do you all think that SD regrets more: Eli forcing the trade (and them winding up with Rivers), or SD not sticking with Brees?

Good question.... I don't think they regretted any of the moves in the first couple years with Rivers. Brees really wasn't the dominating Saints Brees with them. Chargers probably thought they got the better deal comparing to Brees and Eli. After a few choking Rivers playoff performances, they had to be scratching their heads and have some doubts. Rivers is a regular season stat padder vs shoddy regular season teams. When he plays the better teams in the playoffs, he struggles and isn't clutch at all.

If Eli doesn't want to play for chargers, chargers can't do much and can't force Eli..... I guess Chargers would regret not sticking with Brees more. I think Brees is an all time great QB and is clutch.

JJC7301
02-20-2012, 01:38 AM

Good question.... I don't think they regretted any of the moves in the first couple years with Rivers. Brees really wasn't the dominating Saints Brees with them. Chargers probably thought they got the better deal comparing to Brees and Eli. After a few choking Rivers playoff performances, they had to be scratching their heads and have some doubts. Rivers is a regular season stat padder vs shoddy regular season teams. When he plays the better teams in the playoffs, he struggles and isn't clutch at all.

If Eli doesn't want to play for chargers, chargers can't do much and can't force Eli..... I guess Chargers would regret not sticking with Brees more. I think Brees is an all time great QB and is clutch.

Even with the great weather in SD, playing in a dome is still going to be better for any QB. Plus, Brees has plenty of weapons in NO as well, of course.

Back in '04, I remember wondering why they were giving up on Brees and not using they're high pick on someone else or trading down instead of taking a QB. I'm not saying that I knew that Brees was going to be as awesome as he became, but I thought he was more than good enough to be their QB of the future.

SD could have risked it and tried to force Eli to come to terms with them, but I think they have to regret letting go of the QB (Brees) who they already had in hand. For any disgruntled SD fans, I'd be much more angry about that than angry at Eli.

bflo23
02-20-2012, 01:54 AM
Even with the great weather in SD, playing in a dome is still going to be better for any QB. Plus, Brees has plenty of weapons in NO as well, of course.

Back in '04, I remember wondering why they were giving up on Brees and not using they're high pick on someone else or trading down instead of taking a QB. I'm not saying that I knew that Brees was going to be as awesome as he became, but I thought he was more than good enough to be their QB of the future.

SD could have risked it and tried to force Eli to come to terms with them, but I think they have to regret letting go of the QB (Brees) who they already had in hand. For any disgruntled SD fans, I'd be much more angry about that than angry at Eli.

I understood why the Chargers went after Eli and Rivers in 2004 draft. Brees (2nd round pick) was bad for his first 3 years and in 2003, Brees had 67 QB rating with 11 TDs/15 INTs. I guess they could have picked Larry Fitzgerald....... Brees with larry fitzgerald, vincent jackson, tomlinson, gates?! Wow! No other player was really worth it beside Fitzgerald........ Pretty much (Keep Brees and get Fitzgerald vs Rivers/Merriman/Kaeding).

Bad move for Chargers now that we look at it..... At the time, Brees was struggling in his first couple years though. Brees with Fitzgerald with the chargers would have won a couple championships.

stormin normand
02-20-2012, 01:55 AM
here,here yippie, lights out has been put to bed Rivers piddled out

bflo23
02-20-2012, 02:13 AM
Imagine.....

If Eli didn't "refuse" to play for Chargers....... Chargers pick Eli and Giants would settle and later pick Rivers and watch him choke in the playoffs for years. Ehhh.

If Chargers refuse to deal with Giants and drafted Larry Fitzgerald as their #1 pick...... Giants would hope to pick Eli as their #4th pick but I think the Raiders would have taken Eli Manning in the 2nd pick or the Cardinals (Josh McCown) #3 pick. That is why Giants were so concerned jumped up so much and gave 2 more picks to Chargers........ Giants get stuck with Rivers again.

Why didn't the Raiders draft Rivers in the 2nd pick? They had Rich Gannon off bad year in his 15th year and decided on Robert Gallery. If Rivers was drafted by the Raiders, Brees would have stayed with Chargers and been more successful with adding Fitzgerald. And the Chargers drafted Wes Welker in the draft. Imagine if Chargers kept Brees, picked Fitzgerald and kept Wes Welker.... It would be Brees, Fitzgerald, Wes Welker, Vincent Jackson, Gates, Tomlinson and Michael Turner.

Crazy how.... Just Eli refusing to play for Chargers changes so many things.

Harooni
02-20-2012, 02:33 AM
Imagine.....

If Eli didn't "refuse" to play for Chargers....... Chargers pick Eli and Giants would settle and later pick Rivers and watch him choke in the playoffs for years. Ehhh.

If Chargers refuse to deal with Giants and drafted Larry Fitzgerald as their #1 pick...... Giants would hope to pick Eli as their #4th pick but I think the Raiders would have taken Eli Manning in the 2nd pick or the Cardinals (Josh McCown) #3 pick. That is why Giants were so concerned jumped up so much and gave 2 more picks to Chargers........ Giants get stuck with Rivers again.

Why didn't the Raiders draft Rivers in the 2nd pick? They had Rich Gannon off bad year in his 15th year and decided on Robert Gallery. If Rivers was drafted by the Raiders, Brees would have stayed with Chargers and been more successful with adding Fitzgerald.

no we would not have picked rivers EA did not want him, only to make the deal we picked him. we would have traded out i think and picked up so more picks., or gone with either big ben or Vilma

bflo23
02-20-2012, 02:40 AM
no we would not have picked rivers EA did not want him, only to make the deal we picked him. we would have traded out i think and picked up so more picks., or gone with either big ben or Vilma

I don't see them trading out. It would probably be Big Ben. Big Ben was on the mock draft. I can't see the Giants going into the season and hoping on Kurt Warner for the future.

nygsb42champs
02-20-2012, 09:01 AM
Great point.

Diamondring
02-20-2012, 09:56 AM
well there has been talk of if Rivers was in NY, we would of had 3 rings by now!! LOL </P>

*</P>

GOD BLESS MY 2X SUPER BOWL MVP ELI MANNING!!! XLII & XLVI!!! </P>

*</P>Could we have had 3 of them anyway with Eli if it weren't for Burress shooting himself?

Diamondring
02-20-2012, 09:58 AM
Actually we would have had Ben and two other guys. Highly unlikely that we draft merriman. But anyway.Nice but the man said we could not would have had Rivers and Merriman. But anyway.

chasjay
02-20-2012, 11:25 AM
One thing that seems to be overlooked in all these debates, is the fact that San Diego didn't want Eli to begin with. A.J. Smith did a great snow-job in placing all the blame for the transactions on Eli/Archie - he did that to protect himself from complaints from the Charger fans. There was never a chance they would have signed a contract with Eli - the only question was whether they would make a trade before the draft or after the draft - the SD fans would not have stood for Smith keeping the #1 pick and using it on anyone other than Eli, whether they kept him or not.

Obviously, I have no inside information - just MHO.

bflo23
02-20-2012, 12:34 PM
One thing that seems to be overlooked in all these debates, is the fact that San Diego didn't want Eli to begin with. A.J. Smith did a great snow-job in placing all the blame for the transactions on Eli/Archie - he did that to protect himself from complaints from the Charger fans. There was never a chance they would have signed a contract with Eli - the only question was whether they would make a trade before the draft or after the draft - the SD fans would not have stood for Smith keeping the #1 pick and using it on anyone other than Eli, whether they kept him or not.

Obviously, I have no inside information - just MHO.

"the SD fans would not have stood for Smith keeping the #1 pick and using
it on anyone other than Eli, whether they kept him or not."..... I understood why the Chargers went the Rivers route but it does seem pretty early to give up on Brees even if he had 2 somewhat down years. Fitzgerald was a huge prospect and was taken 3rd pick so he could have been taken #1. I don't think the charger fans would be upset with Fitzgerald as their #1 pick..... Imagine Brees, Fitzgerald, Vincent Jackson, Wes Welker (if they kept him that year!), Gates, Tomlinson, Michael Turner..........

Giants10Joe
02-20-2012, 02:14 PM

I went on their boards a couple of weeks ago to see what they were thinking about the trade now. I would divide their fans into a few groups:

1. The Giants won the trade
2. Neither team won the trade, it was even (this, by the way, is where I was until this year, now I'm firmly in the first group)
3. The Chargers won the trade, Rivers is a better QB than Eli, but the Giants surrounded Eli with a better team, Eli didn't win those Super Bowls, the rest of the team did, AJ Smith and Norv Turner suck
4. The Chargers won the trade, Rivers is a better QB than Eli, but the Giants are lucky, why can't the Chargers get the same breaks as the Giants?

I would say they were split pretty evenly, but the majority fell into either group 2 or 3.

JJC7301
02-20-2012, 02:20 PM

I went on their boards a couple of weeks ago to see what they were thinking about the trade now. I would divide their fans into a few groups:

2. Neither team won the trade, it was even (this, by the way, is where I was until this year, now I'm firmly in the first group)
3. The Chargers won the trade, Rivers is a better QB than Eli, but the Giants surrounded Eli with a better team, Eli didn't win those Super Bowls, the rest of the team did, AJ Smith and Norv Turner suck
4. The Chargers won the trade, Rivers is a better QB than Eli, but the Giants are lucky, why can't the Chargers get the same breaks as the Giants?

I would say they were split pretty evenly, but the majority fell into either group 2 or 3.

That's what I figured. They should be happy with Rivers -- he's been good for them, and I'm happy that we've got Eli.

JJC7301
02-20-2012, 02:22 PM
Imagine.....

Why didn't the Raiders draft Rivers in the 2nd pick? They had Rich Gannon off bad year in his 15th year and decided on Robert Gallery. If Rivers was drafted by the Raiders, Brees would have stayed with Chargers and been more successful with adding Fitzgerald. And the Chargers drafted Wes Welker in the draft. Imagine if Chargers kept Brees, picked Fitzgerald and kept Wes Welker.... It would be Brees, Fitzgerald, Wes Welker, Vincent Jackson, Gates, Tomlinson and Michael Turner.

I'm 99% sure that EA said that he would have taken Ben if he couldn't get Eli. I wouldn't have been able to root for Ben as a Giant if he went through the rape accusations with them as well.

You're right -- the Raiders should have taken a QB at the # 2.

bflo23
02-20-2012, 02:57 PM

It is called denial. We see it all the time. Of course they won't admit that their QB stinks in playoffs and clutch situations.... Reminds me of the Cowboy fans defending how great Romo is. It is also like Jet fans telling us that Sanchez is a good QB or 49er fans saying Alex Smith is a good QB. Just a case of blind fans always supporting their QB and won't diss them.

TrueBlue10
02-21-2012, 12:13 AM

"Weeeeeeeee are the champions.... my frieeeends......

dunnn dunnnn

and weeeee'll keeep on fiighting.... 'til the end.....

dunn dunn dunnnnn

we are the champions, WE are the champions.... no time for complaining about draft picks cuz Eli rocks the paaaartyyyy........ of the world...."

I think that's how the song goes....

bearbryant
02-21-2012, 01:43 AM
This year has made me an Eli fan. Until this season I felt that we got the short end of the stick but ya gotta tell it like it is! Eli is elite! He has grown into one of the best QB's in the NFL... Including tommy brady! I think that we'll see nothing but more maturation, better decisions and more accurate throws from Eli going forward. We did get the best deal!

jjj45
02-21-2012, 01:48 AM

"Weeeeeeeee are the champions.... my frieeeends......

dunnn dunnnn

and weeeee'll keeep on fiighting.... 'til the end.....

dunn dunn dunnnnn

we are the champions, WE are the champions.... no time for complaining about draft picks cuz Eli rocks the paaaartyyyy........ of the world...."

I think that's how the song goes....
Haha awesome

gumby742
02-21-2012, 10:31 AM
The trade worked out great for both teams, all 3 if you include Ben and the Steelers. I don't think there are any losers in what happened. We got 2 SBs (Eli helping us win 1 already made it worth it), the Chargers became relevant again, and the Steelers finally got their franchise QB and keep on winning.

Flip Empty
02-21-2012, 10:41 AM
It's amazing how 5 of the last 8 Super Bowls have featured a QB from the 2004 draft class. Just waiting on Rivers now... oh, and J.P. Losman.

THE_New_York_Giants
02-21-2012, 11:18 AM
We also could have had pretty much any player in the history of the NFL depending on what you went back and changed in history. The New York Giants could have been founded as a rugby team or a male strip club. but we'll never know what could have happened, just what did so it's pointless to speculate.