PDA

View Full Version : FAs I would like us to re-sign

GGTM_1977
02-19-2012, 04:55 PM
Aaron Ross (I like him personally, and IF he doesn't ask for a huge amount, then do it)
Devin Thomas (I think he would be a great #3 if we lose MM)
Mario Mannigham (again if he doesn't ask for #1 WR money....)
Justin Tryon
Jonathan Goff (not sure how much he islookin for after his injury)
Terrell Thomas (also not sure if he will ask for alot of $$)
Rocky Bernard
Steve Weatherford
Chase Blackburn (seriously he should be considered to start at MLB.....people didn't have a high opinion of Pierce either)
Derrick Martin (this guy looked good.....good speed, good awareness)
Bear Pascoe
Jake Ballard

Joe Morrison
02-20-2012, 12:33 PM
Aaron Ross (I like him personally, and IF he doesn't ask for a huge amount, then do it) Should get him on the cheap, won't get any money anywhere else</P>

Devin Thomas (I think he would be a great #3 if we lose MM) Not really seen anything that makes me think he could step in for Mario</P>

Mario Mannigham (again if he doesn't ask for #1 WR money....) If he was smart he sign a good deal and continue to get his shots playing with Cruz and Nicks, not a #1 so won't get big money elsewhree.</P>

Justin Tryon Again, not seen anything exciting, couple penalties come to mint.</P>

Jonathan Goff (not sure how much he islookin for after his injury) Big question mark, was over achieving when he went down.</P>

Terrell Thomas (also not sure if he will ask for alot of $$) Another question mark, how good will he be, will it take 1/2 the year to get back to where he was?</P>

Rocky Bernard Should stay, shouldn't ask for big money, fits well in the system.</P>

Steve Weatherford Kind of grew on me over the long haul, </P>

Chase Blackburn (seriously he should be considered to start at MLB.....people didn't have a high opinion of Pierce either) Played great, knew it was his last shot in the NFL and took advantage of it, should stay with a decent offer</P>

Derrick Martin (this guy looked good.....good speed, good awareness) Where did you see him on the practice squad.</P>

Bear Pascoe Not a superstar but fits in well, shouldn't take a lot to keep him.</P>

Jake Ballard Makes the best out of his opportunities, maybe learned from Boss's mistake and stays home for less money.</P>

giantsfan39
02-20-2012, 07:05 PM
Aaron Ross- Pass. T2 is more important.

Devin Thomas-Pass. Hasn't show anything at WR. And Jernigan takes away from his abilities at ST. Keep him if he comes cheap and is willing to be #4.

Mario Mannigham- Pass. Will get better offer than we can pay. Nicks/Cruz are our future.

Justin Tryon
- Resign. Yes keep him. Solid Nickel CB and can return kicks.

Jonathan Goff - Pass. Barely better than Blackburn and coming off an ACL tear. Pass.

Terrell Thomas -Resign. Important to our future. playmaker and great blitzer/runstopper. Charles Woodson lite.

Rocky Bernard- PassToo expensive. Getting up there in age. Can draft late round DT plus Marvin Austin.

Steve Weatherford
-Resign. Nothing needs to be said. Plays his position well, makes ST decent and good locker room guy.

Chase Blackburn -Resign. But as ST player and backup MLB.

Derrick Martin -Pass. Offers nothing but ST penalties. Can't be used on defense.

Bear Pascoe - Pass. Really bad player. Holding penalties galore.

Jake Ballard-Resign. Will be good in a 2 TE set with Fleener.

slipknottin
02-20-2012, 07:13 PM
Devin Thomas-Pass. Hasn't show anything at WR. And Jernigan takes away from his abilities at ST.

You do realize there are other ST positions besides returner, right?

Devin Thomas was absolutely crucial to the Giants STs, far more so than Jerningan. Thomas was the best gunner on punts/kicks this team has had since Tyree was in his prime.

rainierjef
02-20-2012, 07:21 PM
Devin Thomas-Pass. Hasn't show anything at WR. And Jernigan takes away from his abilities at ST.

You do realize there are other ST positions besides returner, right?

Devin Thomas was absolutely crucial to the Giants STs, far more so than Jerningan. Thomas was the best gunner on punts/kicks this team has had since Tyree was in his prime.
you also might want to give him a couple snaps at receiver before you say hes hasn't show anything at WR smfh

Flip Empty
02-20-2012, 07:24 PM
Main ones for me would be T2, Weatherford, Devin Thomas and Blackburn.

Bohemian
02-20-2012, 09:34 PM
Aaron Ross (I like him personally, and IF he doesn't ask for a huge amount, then do it)
Justin Tryon
Rocky Bernard
Steve Weatherford
Chase Blackburn (seriously he should be considered to start at MLB.....people didn't have a high opinion of Pierce either)
Bear Pascoe
Jake Ballard

I like your suggestion for Ross and Thomas. I would sign Goff and Thomas back to a one year contract to see if they earn a longer term contract next season.

Weatherford is a must, as he proved his value all year, but specially during the big game, he pinned the Pats back and pinned them back all game long. I can't say enough about the value of having a great punter like Weatherford around.

I don't know what to make of Bernard. He came to the team with very high expectations, but since, we have only seen him after Joseph and Canty come off the field, and considering the young talent we have at the position it would be irrational to sign him. He is not a bad player, but we are loaded on the line.

As far as Blackburn goes, he has earned a spot in my opinion. Great warrior, great leader, and a solid backer. If he wants to retire, then he should be sent off in style with due fanfare.

All in all, I would give one year deals to those players who have a good and productive history and are coming out of a missed year with injuries. I would try and bring back Blackburn, Manningham and Ross if the money is right. I would make Weatherford to a long term deal. Everyone else seem to be either, at the point of retirement, or very replaceable.

simms56
02-21-2012, 03:09 PM
TT, Thomas, Blackburn, Weatherford. The rest can go.

Toadofsteel
02-22-2012, 03:00 AM
-Ross: Too expensive. Pass

-D. Thomas: Re-sign if the money is right. Possible #3 WR candidate, ST play.

-Manningham: Too expensive. Pass.

-Goff, T. Thomas, Ballard: Possible 1-year deal pending injury recovery.

-Blackburn: Possible re-sign. Mutually exclusive with Goff.

-Pascoe: 1-year deal. Must maintain depth at TE, presume Ballard and Beckum unable to play at the start of the season due to injury.

-Weatherford: Must Re-sign. Franchise Tag if no deal is made. I for one REFUSE to go back to this guy:
http://ll-media.tmz.com/2010/12/20/1210-matt-dodge-ex-getty-02-credit.jpg

Flip Empty
02-22-2012, 04:09 AM
-Weatherford: Must Re-sign. Franchise Tag if no deal is made. I for one REFUSE to go back to this guy:
http://ll-media.tmz.com/2010/12/20/1210-matt-dodge-ex-getty-02-credit.jpg

-Franchise Tag if no deal is made.
Absolutely, he was as instrumental in this season's success as Dodge was for the previous season's lack of it. He can not be let go.

I wonder what Dodge is doing these days?

TrueBlue@NYC
02-22-2012, 10:54 AM
I think both Ballard and Pascoe would be RFA's anyway, so I'm sure they'll both be tenured. Have big doubts that Ballard is ready for the start of the year. </P>

T2 should be given a "prove it" oppurtunity. 2 year deal similar to Kiwi's. Nothing more. </P>

Resign Blackburn, he's proven his worth, would come inexpensively and he brings alot to the table as a ST's player along with his ability to be a serviceable starter at any of the 3 LBer spots (though MLB as always been his best spot). </P>

If you resign Blackburn, you can let Goff go. Blackburn is the insurance policy and our bevy of rookie LBers will have a year of exp under their belts along with a full offseason. If you do resign Goff to create more competition, it's for a short term vet minimum deal, that doesn't hurt you if you cut him. </P>

Thomas is a good ST player, and can chip in at receiver. Offer a contract appropriate to that, see if he takes it. </P>

Weatherford gets a long term deal. He's ournew feagles. </P>

Rest can be let go and are replaceable. </P>

</P>

burier
02-22-2012, 01:02 PM
All I'll say is that we need to cut ties with anyone who's coming off of a catastrophic injury. Goff/T2 that means you. And we need to start taking our LB corp seriously.

We need to get faster. We've got all these late round Linebackers and the reason they're late round is because they are tooooooo sloooooow Jwill not withstanding.

Goff was slow to begin with..I assume he will now be slower.

T2 is another one. No top end speed. No recovery speed and now his second ACL injury...GOODBYE.

Faster faster faster on defense.

The reason we don't match up with the Saints is because that are far too fast for us.

We've got everything we need to win the division but build that real Superbowl contender year in and year out we can't have guys like Jordy Nelson just running by us so we need more team speed.

Webster can cover but he's slow. Ross is slow.

Prince I'm not sure about. Either way there's not much we can do to improve the secondary short of Prince having a breakout sophmore campaign. We can however get better and faster at the second level.

MattMeyerBud
02-22-2012, 01:08 PM
All I'll say is that we need to cut ties with anyone who's coming off of a catastrophic injury. Goff/T2 that means you. And we need to start taking our LB corp seriously.

We need to get faster. We've got all these late round Linebackers and the reason they're late round is because they are tooooooo sloooooow Jwill not withstanding.

T2 is another one. No top end speed. No recovery speed and now his second ACL injury...GOODBYE.

The reason we don't match up with the Saints is because that are far too fast for us.

We've got everything we need to win the division but build that real Superbowl contender year in and year out we can't have guys like Jordy Nelson just running by us so we need more team speed.

Prince I'm not sure about. Either way there's not much we can do to improve the secondary short of Prince having a breakout sophmore campaign. We can however get better and faster at the second level.
we need to start taking our LB corp seriously?

we just won the superbowl and had 4 rookies on the team with one of them looking like he may end up being a standout in JWill...

how many more times does it have to be proven that in the 4-3, you DONT need studs at LBer...

EDIT: Jordy Nelson is a fantastic and underrated reciever who was covered by 6th string CB who was signed that week because PRince had to come off the field. Relax

MattMeyerBud
02-22-2012, 01:10 PM
Justin Tryon
Rocky Bernard
Steve Weatherford
Bear Pascoe
Jake Ballard

so what FA is left that you DONT thin kwe should sign?

burier
02-22-2012, 01:16 PM

we just won the superbowl and had 4 rookies on the team with one of them looking like he may end up being a standout in JWill...

how many more times does it have to be proven that in the 4-3, you DONT need studs at LBer...

EDIT: Jordy Nelson is a fantastic and underrated reciever who was covered by 6th string CB who was signed that week because PRince had to come off the field. Relax

When was it proven that you don't need a stud linebacker in a 4-3??

Because we won the Superbowl?

That's great I still can't see straight because of that fact however our Defense was poorly ranked and struggled to stop the run.

Our team won 9 games despite career years from 3 players on offense and having the most explosive offense in the league.

My comment on Jordy Nelson wasn't to discount his talent. The point is...alot of teams have players like that. We need to be able to cover as a team...Someone being hurt or whatever isn't an excuse since it goes in the books as a loss regardless of who got benched or who was on the injury report.

I want to repeat. I don't think our best shot to do that is to win 6 elimination games at the end of the season again.

MattMeyerBud
02-22-2012, 01:26 PM

That's great I still can't see straight because of that fact however our Defense was poorly ranked and stuggled to stop the run.

Our team won 9 games despite career years from 3 players on offense and having the most explosive offense in the league.

My comment on Jordy Nelson wasn't to discount his talent. The point is...alot of teams have players like that. We need to be able to cover as a team...Someone being hurt or whatever isn't an excuse since it goes in the books as a loss regardless of who got benched or who was on the injury report.

I want to repeat. I don't think our best shot to do that is to win 6 elimination games at the end of the season again.

twice we've won the superbowl...

go look at the falcons defense... they focused on linebackers and have an average to subpar group on the line...

It has to give somewhere. We are one of the most spread out teams in football moneywise, especially considering we have a franchise QB. LBers are the least important spot on the defense in a 4-3.

You don't think our defense being hurt had anything to do with Tuck being unhealthy, Osi being out, and Goff being out in our front 7 do you?

Once we got healthy we had one of the most dominating runs of any defense in the league - only difference is we did it when it counted not for regular season fantasy football stats.

And i disagree about Jordy Nelson. Alot of teams don't have a 1250 yards and 15 TD guy like Nelson as a second receiver. But again we were struck with a brutal rash of injuries at CB this year. Prince had to be taken out of the game a few plays before and a guy we had to sign off the street was playing. Im just saying that example really doesn't

Your right that who wa sinjured has no barring on the history book, but when your evaluating the season based on roster decisions - who was injured absolutely matters.

burier
02-22-2012, 01:53 PM

That's great I still can't see straight because of that fact however our Defense was poorly ranked and stuggled to stop the run.

twice we've won the superbowl...

go look at the falcons defense... they focused on linebackers and have an average to subpar group on the line...

It has to give somewhere. We are one of the most spread out teams in football moneywise, especially considering we have a franchise QB.* LBers are the least important spot on the defense in a 4-3.

You don't think our defense being hurt had anything to do with Tuck being unhealthy, Osi being out, and Goff being out in our front 7 do you?

Once we got healthy we had one of the most dominating runs of any defense in the league - only difference is we did it when it counted not for regular season fantasy football stats.

And i disagree about Jordy Nelson. Alot of teams don't have a 1250 yards and 15 TD guy like Nelson as a second receiver. But again we were struck with a brutal rash of injuries at CB this year. Prince had to be taken out of the game a few plays before and a guy we had to sign off the street was playing. Im just saying that example really doesn't

Your right that who wa sinjured has no barring on the history book, but when your evaluating the season based on roster decisions - who was injured absolutely matters.

The first SB was won with Antonio Pierce. Not Ray Lewis but no slouch and that's all I'm saying.

I categorically disagree that in a traditional 4-3
defense Linebacker is the least important spot. You've still got 1 technique DTs and you've still got pass rushers who need to be backed up when they take that wide angle to the QB.

Not to mention we're not even playing a 4-3 consistently since we're so thin at linebacker.

As far as Jordy Nelson...not saying everyone has Jordy Nelson production but everyone has a third option with top end speed who can beat you at the end of the game.

Our line is set so the Atlanta analogy doesn't apply. Improving the linebackers would not be to the detriment of D-line.

As far as injuries. Goffs injury was catastrophic which has to be considered in roster decisions. Same with T2.

I don't understand why people want to fight me on this...All I want to do is improve the one obvious weakness on our defense.

Toadofsteel
02-22-2012, 04:00 PM
All of this wouldn't matter if Perry Fewell just blitzed a little more. The front four are fantastic when they're healthy, but generally our LB's are picked and built primarily for the blitz rather than the coverage. Just like Eli's throws are worse when he throws off the back foot, so does PF need to avoid running the defense off the back foot.

slipknottin
02-22-2012, 04:07 PM
All of this wouldn't matter if Perry Fewell just blitzed a little more. .

Perry Fewell was one of the league leaders in how often he sent the blitz, especially the big blitz (6+ guys)

Toadofsteel
02-22-2012, 04:12 PM
All of this wouldn't matter if Perry Fewell just blitzed a little more. .

Perry Fewell was one of the league leaders in how often he sent the blitz, especially the big blitz (6+ guys)

Well, I'd sure love to see evidence of that. Hopefully he was just a little skimpy this year due to the entire D-line being injured for half the season... I want to see more sacks, FF, tackles for a loss, etc. Giants defense is built from the front

giantsfan39
02-22-2012, 04:59 PM
Can someone please explain why we have had a top 5 defense once under Coughlin and a top 5 offense twice? LB and TE make the difference imo.

NYGRealityCheck
02-22-2012, 07:56 PM
Can anyone explain what they were doing with Ryan Perrilloux and Selvin Cappers this year?

http://www.giants.com/team/transactions.html

welcome to the Practice Squad, goodbye, welcome to the Practice Squad, goodbye,... lol

There's gotta be a good reason behind it...

Itlan
02-22-2012, 08:39 PM
Can someone please explain why we have had a top 5 defense once under Coughlin and a top 5 offense twice? LB and TE make the difference imo.
You're dumb.

Toadofsteel
02-22-2012, 11:03 PM

Because everything that happens in the game happens between the hash marks. Totally...