PDA

View Full Version : OSI UMENYIORA: I'LL BE HAPPY WITH ANYTHING THAT HAPPENS

RoanokeFan
02-20-2012, 01:15 PM
OSI UMENYIORA: I'LL BE HAPPY WITH ANYTHING THAT HAPPENS (http://www.bigblueview.com/2012/2/20/2811962/osi-umenyiora-ill-be-happy-with-anything-that-happens)

"New York Giants (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/teams/new-york-giants)
defensive end Osi Umenyiora (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/2262/osi-umenyiora)
said Monday on ESPN Radio's 'Mike & Mike' program that when it comes to
being traded by the Giants this offseason he could "see it going either
way."<div class="entry-body">

"We're just going to have to wait and see," Umenyiora said. "I can see it
going either way. I can see where they would keep me, I can see where they would
trade me, because it makes sense both ways. So hopefully things will work out in
my interest. I know the team is going to do what's best for them. They've always
made the right decisions for that organization. Whether that's keeping me or
trading me, I'd love to stay, but at the end of the day I understand it's a
business and hopefully things will work out."</p>

Umenyiora also said he is "cool" with the Giants organization despite his
highly-publicized issues with GM Jerry Reese and his contract in past
offseasons.</p>

"Me and Jerry Reese, me and the owners, Mr. Mara and Mr. Tisch, we're all
cool," Umenyiora said. "Even when all that stuff was going on, it wasn't really
as contentious as people would have thought. We just sat down and had a lot of
conversations. We went back and forth as to what was going on. They understand
it's a business just like I understand it's a business. If anything happens, in
the event that I am traded or released, it's not going to be bad. They would
probably be doing it for my own good, in actuality, so I'll be happy with
anything that happens."</p>
<p class="extend-divide"><a name="storyjump"></a>http://cdn1.sbnation.com/images/blog/star-divide.v5e9d7f1.jpg</p>

The most interesting thing here is that Umenyiora is not demanding anything.
After having complained about playing time two offseasons ago and demanded a
trade last offseason when he could not get the new contract he he wanted it
sounds as though he will accept whatever the Giants decide to do without making
an issue of it.</p>

Personally, as long as Umenyiora can be happy with the Giants, I would love
to see them keep him. He is only due $3.975 million for 2012, and unless the
Giants are overwhelmed by a trade offer that would include a couple of high
draft picks I don't know why they would trade him. He remains a difference-maker
as a pass-rusher, and the plethora of defensive ends the Giants possess is part
of what sets the Giants defense apart.</p>

NOTE: 'Kudos' to Pro Football Talk (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/02/20/osi-umenyiora-wont-be-surprised-if-the-giants-trade-him/) for transcribing much of Umenyiora's 'Mike
&amp; Mike' appearance. 'Kudos' also to Mike Garafolo (http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2012/02/giants_osi_umenyiora_unsure_if.html?utm_source=twi tterfeed&amp;utm_medium=twitter&amp;utm_term=%23nyg) for finding this long before I did. Someday I
will learn to listen to sports talk radio regularly during the day."
</p></div>

JJC7301
02-20-2012, 01:25 PM
He pretty much said that same thing on Boomer & Carton this morning.

I hope that they can keep him around for 1 more year. He's a Giant and I'd prefer to see him end his career as a Giant, but at least keep him for 1 more year and then maybe draft a DE this year to get prepared for his leaving.

GameTime
02-20-2012, 01:29 PM
Osi is keeping it classy and if there is and BS talk its staying behind closed doors now. Good job.</P>

If he stays I hope he is happy with the $$ he will be getting AND has gotten. If he goes I wish him luck and thank him for all he has done as a Giants player....</P>

To be fair I will mention I dogged him last year for all the BS and I also thought he was milking his injury until the Giants were ready for a run. </P>

RoanokeFan
02-20-2012, 01:34 PM
Osi is keeping it classy and if there is and BS talk its staying behind closed doors now. Good job.</p>

If he stays I hope he is happy with the $$ he will be getting AND has gotten. If he goes I wish him luck and thank him for all he has done as a Giants player....</p>

To be fair I will mention I dogged him last year for all the BS and I also thought he was milking his injury until the Giants were ready for a run. </p>

If he had not gone "public" with his discontent, he'd still be widely revered. This is the attitude he should have been displaying all along.

Gimaniac
02-20-2012, 01:51 PM
He pretty much said that same thing on Boomer & Carton this morning.

I hope that they can keep him around for 1 more year. He's a Giant and I'd prefer to see him end his career as a Giant, but at least keep him for 1 more year and then maybe draft a DE this year to get prepared for his leaving.

x2

One more year is worth more than a draft pick.

RagTime Blue
02-20-2012, 02:02 PM
He pretty much said that same thing on Boomer &amp; Carton this morning.

x2

<font size="6">One more year is worth more than a draft pick</font>.

Especially if he has a very good year (motivated by FA). In that case, we'll still get a 3-4 rounder if someone else is willing to pay him more than us.

G-Man67
02-20-2012, 04:50 PM
perfect, he is well worth his 2012 salary

so unless somebody wants to cough up a #2 pick, then let him simply play out his contract and even then ... it would be a win now team and that would make the #2 a late #2

and, let's face it, we see it all the time, players in their contract year can be highly productive ... imagine a fairly healthy Osi on a mission for one last lucrative deal ??? ... i wouldnt want to be the opposing QB

rainierjef
02-20-2012, 05:23 PM
Osi is keeping it classy and if there is and BS talk its staying behind closed doors now. Good job.</p>

If he stays I hope he is happy with the $$ he will be getting AND has gotten. If he goes I wish him luck and thank him for all he has done as a Giants player....</p>

To be fair I will mention I dogged him last year for all the BS and I also thought he was milking his injury until the Giants were ready for a run. </p>

If he had not gone "public" with his discontent, he'd still be widely revered. This is the attitude he should have been displaying all along.

its an affidavit blame brady for suing the nfl and asking player to write affidavits as evidence against the nfl. you all do know that other players around the league wrote one as well, there are probably some other giants players with contract disputes or disgruntlement that wrote it. its just that osi's came to light cause it was more appealing as evidence. reese didn't deny it so its true.

Osi didn't go public the media got a hold of the document and spun it beyond compare

BigBlueFanNJ
02-20-2012, 05:46 PM
it's easy to say the right things now! let's see if things don't go Osi's way how he behaves!!

right now he's got no leverage come training camp he can pull all kinds of BS so I hope he is sincere

If he keeps this attitude then i'm all for him coming back!

MikeSherrard
02-20-2012, 06:06 PM
they are not getting another year out of him. He would sit out before he plays this year with the existing contract. The only options that he is acknowledging are being released, being traded or getting a new deal.

Flip Empty
02-20-2012, 06:12 PM
they are not getting another year out of him.* He would sit out before he plays this year with the existing contract.* The only options that he is acknowledging are being released, being traded or getting a new deal.

He'll play. The fine isn't exactly small.

Gimaniac
02-20-2012, 06:17 PM
they are not getting another year out of him.* He would sit out before he plays this year with the existing contract.* The only options that he is acknowledging are being released, being traded or getting a new deal.

$30,000 a day fine, no way he sits.

RoanokeFan
02-20-2012, 06:31 PM

its an affidavit blame brady for suing the nfl and asking player to write affidavits as evidence against the nfl. you all do know that other players around the league wrote one as well, there are probably some other giants players with contract disputes or disgruntlement that wrote it. its just that osi's came to light cause it was more appealing as evidence. reese didn't deny it so its true.

Osi didn't go public the media got a hold of the document and spun it beyond compare

Do you recall Osi's expounding on the affidavit? He made a lot of noise about how disappointed he was and that he would not play for the GIANTS if they didn't pay him what he demanded or traded him.

RoanokeFan
02-20-2012, 06:34 PM
they are not getting another year out of him. He would sit out before he plays this year with the existing contract. The only options that he is acknowledging are being released, being traded or getting a new deal.

He can't "sit out" and get paid.

rainierjef
02-20-2012, 07:09 PM

Do you recall Osi's expounding on the affidavit? He made a lot of noise about how disappointed he was and that he would not play for the GIANTS if they didn't pay him what he demanded or traded him.

I think alot of people are taking it the way they want to take it, this is a classic case of the media spinning the words to want we want to hear vs what was said.

if an affidavit is brought to light and the media asks you about the legitimacy of what was said is that expounding? this is kind of like the eli said hes elite thing what else is he supposed to say " nah i was lying i just said that to build a case." perjury anyone?

i remember the contract dispute getting worse cause no one wanted to budge Reese or Osi, both were stubborn about it. sure osi was in contract but reese should of never made those promises to begin with, that's something that should have been said this off season. you can't blame the man for writing an affidavit, ask yourself this if the other player affidavits came to light and you found out thaat 4-5 other players on the giants roster had similar problems are you mad at them as well or are you mad at reese's business format in dealing with situations as such?

i don't remember him saying i will not play for the giants if they didn't pay him what he <u>demanded</u> i remember reading he going to sit out camp if a deal is not done one that hes was <u>promised </u>

to demand and to be promised changes the dynamic of the situation drastically but if im wrong and i might be its been so long can you link where he said what you stated? thanks

Harooni
02-20-2012, 07:29 PM
ill be happy if he honors the contract that he signed.

Tuckit91
02-20-2012, 07:40 PM
I hope he stays

RoanokeFan
02-20-2012, 07:53 PM

I think alot of people are taking it the way they want to take it, this is a classic case of the media spinning the words to want we want to hear vs what was said.

if an affidavit is brought to light and the media asks you about the legitimacy of what was said is that expounding? this is kind of like the eli said hes elite thing what else is he supposed to say " nah i was lying i just said that to build a case." perjury anyone?

i remember the contract dispute getting worse cause no one wanted to budge Reese or Osi, both were stubborn about it. sure osi was in contract but reese should of never made those promises to begin with, that's something that should have been said this off season. you can't blame the man for writing an affidavit, ask yourself this if the other player affidavits came to light and you found out thaat 4-5 other players on the giants roster had similar problems are you mad at them as well or are you mad at reese's business format in dealing with situations as such?

i don't remember him saying i will not play for the giants if they didn't pay him what he <u>demanded</u> i remember reading he going to sit out camp if a deal is not done one that hes was <u>promised </u>

to demand and to be promised changes the dynamic of the situation drastically but if im wrong and i might be its been so long can you link where he said what you stated? thanks

Just for the record, I do my best not to write things I'm not sure about. I'm not going to sift through 6 months of news articles but why do you imagine Reese gave Osi and his idiot handler time to go out and get a first round trade done?

Osi was either stupid or ill served by his handler to a, go public, and ,. to make demands when he had ZERO leverage. Here's one link...

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2011/08/04/dottino-latest-on-the-giants-osi-umenyiora-saga/

rainierjef
02-20-2012, 09:16 PM

Just for the record, I do my best not to write things I'm not sure about. I'm not going to sift through 6 months of news articles but why do you imagine Reese gave Osi and his idiot handler time to go out and get a first round trade done?

Osi was either stupid or ill served by his handler to a, go public, and ,. to make demands when he had ZERO leverage. Here's one link...

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2011/08/04/dottino-latest-on-the-giants-osi-umenyiora-saga/

and i'm saying reese was stupid for making this promise ---&gt;http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2011/06/16/osi-umenyiora-giants-jerry-reese-lied-about-deal-or-trade-pact/

whether osi was wrong or right for writing the affidavit that's on whether he publicly leaked the affidavit himself or not, whether he was subpoena to write one or if he did it voluntarily.

Reese is ******ed to tell a player 2-3 years into his extension of a 6 year contract that he will shred his prior contract and make a new one if he keeps it up for two more years. and he was injured in 08 and in 09 we had sheridan who put our best pass rushing DE on the bench cause they had behind the scene disputes, i would of cussed sheridan out too if i knew that my pay day was being hampered by this idiot who couldn't scheme a defensive game plan to save his life. and he led the team in sacks that year as well as being benched and losing his starting position coming off a season long injury, who knows what he would of did with a complete 09 year under a better DC or even that DC. we fail to remember that we went from 5ranked defense to 14th ranked under sheridan then went back to top ten at 7th under fewell almost the same core not that many changes.

so yeah if i was osi in a sheridan scheme knowing i need to have a monster year that year and the next year for me to get my pay day, and this moron was benching me, taking away my starting role limiting my snaps i would be pissed off too.

here's my question to you guys Osi has always been bad against the run, even since when strahan was here, but reese saw enough in osi and what he brought to the table to offer him that promise knowing hes bad against the run. so what did reese see? the sacks? the force fumbles? couldn't be his run stuffing ability. now if its the sacks then osi lived up to it he lead the team in sacks 4 of them being FF's 2009 1 less than what he had in 07 and had a total of 11.5 sacks leading the league with 10 of them being FF's 2010. I want to know whats is reese's decision making basis of production for osi to warrant a new contract.

i really don't care its not my money i just want to contend next year and you cannot deny having osi in the rotation doesn't give us the best chance to do what we've been doing for a long time now, pass rushing with fresh players. but please don't talk as if this is all Osi coming out as a menace to the team, the media had a spin in this a big one at that, his agent did him a disservice by letting him sign that contract, and letting him answer to the media outlets about his affidavit, reese should of never made that promise, and brady should of never subpeona Osi to write an affidavit or ask him to write one.

This is all my imho

RoanokeFan
02-20-2012, 09:31 PM

and i'm saying reese was stupid for making this promise ---&gt;http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2011/06/16/osi-umenyiora-giants-jerry-reese-lied-about-deal-or-trade-pact/

whether osi was wrong or right for writing the affidavit that's on whether he publicly leaked the affidavit himself or not, whether he was subpoena to write one or if he did it voluntarily.

Reese is ******ed to tell a player 2-3 years into his extension of a 6 year contract that he will shred his prior contract and make a new one if he keeps it up for two more years. and he was injured in 08 and in 09 we had sheridan who put our best pass rushing DE on the bench cause they had behind the scene disputes, i would of cussed sheridan out too if i knew that my pay day was being hampered by this idiot who couldn't scheme a defensive game plan to save his life. and he led the team in sacks that year as well as being benched and losing his starting position coming off a season long injury, who knows what he would of did with a complete 09 year under a better DC or even that DC. we fail to remember that we went from 5ranked defense to 14th ranked under sheridan then went back to top ten at 7th under fewell almost the same core not that many changes.

so yeah if i was osi in a sheridan scheme knowing i need to have a monster year that year and the next year for me to get my pay day, and this moron was benching me, taking away my starting role limiting my snaps i would be pissed off too.

here's my question to you guys Osi has always been bad against the run, even since when strahan was here, but reese saw enough in osi and what he brought to the table to offer him that promise knowing hes bad against the run. so what did reese see? the sacks? the force fumbles? couldn't be his run stuffing ability. now if its the sacks then osi lived up to it he lead the team in sacks 4 of them being FF's 2009 1 less than what he had in 07 and had a total of 11.5 sacks leading the league with 10 of them being FF's 2010. I want to know whats is reese's decision making basis of production for osi to warrant a new contract.

i really don't care its not my money i just want to contend next year and you cannot deny having osi in the rotation doesn't give us the best chance to do what we've been doing for a long time now, pass rushing with fresh players. but please don't talk as if this is all Osi coming out as a menace to the team, the media had a spin in this a big one at that, his agent did him a disservice by letting him sign that contract, and letting him answer to the media outlets about his affidavit, reese should of never made that promise, and brady should of never subpeona Osi to write an affidavit or ask him to write one.

This is all my imho

How do you KNOW what Reese did or didn't say? We only have Osi's version of that conversation.

GameTime
02-20-2012, 09:42 PM
so now Osi is saying he will be happy no matter what and it still is creating controversy.</P>

Two people know what really happened. The media doesn't and we certainly dont....</P>

</P>

RoanokeFan
02-20-2012, 09:46 PM
so now Osi is saying he will be happy no matter what and it still is creating controversy.</p>

Two people know what really happened. The media doesn't and we certainly dont....</p>

</p>

It will be great when we get back to football [;)]

rainierjef
02-20-2012, 10:09 PM

This is all my imho

How do you KNOW what Reese did or didn't say? We only have Osi's version of that conversation.

it was in an affidavit, if anything in that document is false osi goes to jail for perjury. and reese didn't come forward and deny not saying it so it has to be true

rainierjef
02-20-2012, 10:11 PM
so now Osi is saying he will be happy no matter what and it still is creating controversy.</p>

Two people know what really happened. The media doesn't and we certainly dont....</p>

</p>

thats my point i wish the media didn't get their hands on that affidavit if not im pretty sure no matter how stupid his agent might be would advise against him going public and using the media as an outlet to get a new contract especially during a lockout.

imho

byron
02-20-2012, 10:18 PM
Osi is keeping it classy and if there is and BS talk its staying behind closed doors now. Good job.</P>

If he stays I hope he is happy with the $$ he will be getting AND has gotten. If he goes I wish him luck and thank him for all he has done as a Giants player....</P>

To be fair I will mention I dogged him last year for all the BS and I also thought he was milking his injury until the Giants were ready for a run. </P>

If he had not gone "public" with his discontent, he'd still be widely revered. <FONT color=#0000ff>This is the attitude he should have been displaying all along.
</FONT> I hear yaRF its seems at least at the moment he may have learned something from it all...good for him if true.... and how fans view him should change also...

RoanokeFan
02-20-2012, 10:20 PM

This is all my imho

it was in an affidavit, if anything in that document is false osi goes to jail for perjury. and reese didn't come forward and deny not saying it so it has to be true

Reese was absolutely correct in not discussing a player's contract negotiation in pubic. As for perjury, take it from someone who spent 35 years in law enforcement, it's not a crime often prosecuted and would never have been in the context of a labor relations issue.

RoanokeFan
02-20-2012, 10:22 PM

If he had not gone "public" with his discontent, he'd still be widely revered. <font color="#0000ff">This is the attitude he should have been displaying all along.
</font> I hear yaRF its seems at least at the moment he may have learned something from it all...good for him if true.... and how fans view him should change also...

He should have been saying then what he's saying now. Time will tell how this will unfold, but he's now in the position of being the third best DE on the team which doesn't help him get exceptional money.

rainierjef
02-20-2012, 10:59 PM

This is all my imho

Reese was absolutely correct in not discussing a player's contract negotiation in pubic. As for perjury, take it from someone who spent 35 years in law enforcement, it's not a crime often prosecuted and would never have been in the context of a labor relations issue.

i'm not doubting you, but this is a high profile case and any false oaths would of been brought to an extreme light, and spun by the same media that spun this all to begin with. imagine is reese came out and said yeah i said that then how would you fans feel? the fact that he didn't dispute it makes him look guilty thats all i'm saying. being in law enforcement im sure you can agree with that

byron
02-20-2012, 11:14 PM

If he had not gone "public" with his discontent, he'd still be widely revered. <FONT color=#0000ff>This is the attitude he should have been displaying all along.
</FONT> I hear yaRF its seems at least at the moment he may have learned something from it all...good for him if true.... and how fans view him should change also...

He should have been saying then what he's saying now. Time will tell how this will unfold, but he's now in the position of being the third best DE on the team which doesn't help him get exceptional money.
yeah I don't see him getting anymore money ...I was speaking to his reputation with fans....time will tell how things are going to go. I'll be happy if there is no Osi drama again this year...

foosball
02-21-2012, 03:32 AM
I think winning the super bowl really helped this situation. I think OSI really wants to repeat, and that desire to repeat may be enough for him to be willing to play for a few million less than what he's worth this year. He probably figures, go for a third ring and if he wins it sign a huge pay day contract with another team, play that out then sign a 1 day contract with the Giants to end his career.

nygsb42champs
02-21-2012, 08:10 AM
It seems like his attitude has changed. Hopefully he will keep that good attitude into the season.

bigjeep
02-22-2012, 07:59 AM
perfect, he is well worth his 2012 salary

so unless somebody wants to cough up a #2 pick, then let him simply play out his contract and even then ... it would be a win now team and that would make the #2 a late #2

and, let's face it, we see it all the time, players in their contract year can be highly productive ... imagine a fairly healthy Osi on a mission for one last lucrative deal ??? ... i wouldnt want to be the opposing QB

And next year he will be 31, so he doesn't have too many years left in the tank. Get a draft pick or let him play out his contract. If he was younger, it would be a different story!</P>