PDA

View Full Version : Who is to blame for the Giants Salary Cap issues?

TuckYou
02-20-2012, 03:12 PM
The Giants are once again well over the Cap limit and need to dump quality players because of it.</P>

Kind of sucks we wont be able to retain any of our FAs without some major adjustments. This could be a completely different team next season. Reese pulled it off last year and was right. But can he do it again? Manningham, Thomas, Ross and KMac are most likely all gone. Baas, Jacobs, Canty, CWeb, Eliall NEED to retructure their contracts orJerry will have some major decisions to make. </P>

This also means we are not going to be able to sign any big time FAs for the 2nd year in a row, while teams like Philly and Washington can reload. Dallas is also on a tight budget. I know Philly's spending spree didnt work last year, but there is no denying the talent they have.</P>

Before you say we have to resign Mario or Thomas or whoever, think about it. How can we really afford it? Looks like we will let all those guys test the market and pray we hit on the draft. </P>

But hey, we just won another Superbowl!</P>
<H6 class="uiStreamMessage uiStreamHeadline">
<DIV class="actorDescription actorName" data-ft='{"type":2}'><SPAN class=messageBody data-ft='{"type":3}'><FONT size=3>Giants are $9M over the cap and need to trim it by March 13th, when FA begins. </FONT></SPAN></DIV></H6>
<H6 class=uiStreamMessage data-ft='{"type":1}'><SPAN class=messageBody data-ft='{"type":3}'><FONT size=3></FONT></SPAN></H6>

stormblue
02-20-2012, 03:20 PM
next man up.

it's the NFL , that's the way it works.

glad i don't have to make those decisions.

Itlan
02-20-2012, 03:22 PM
Jerry Jones said Dallas has about $20 mill to spend and he plans on spending every last dime.

Not sure where you got the tight budget from, but most of these reports are wrong because they don't factor in a myriad of different things that all go into maintaining the cap.

I'll wait until Reese makes move to care.

Kendo15
02-20-2012, 03:28 PM
Far too early to worry.

It's going to be a busy summer all over the NFL and there's no doubt that there will be comings and goings down Meadowlands way.

TuckYou
02-20-2012, 03:29 PM
Jerry Jones said Dallas has about $20 mill to spend and he plans on spending every last dime. Not sure where you got the tight budget from, but most of these reports are wrong because they don't factor in a myriad of different things that all go into maintaining the cap. I'll wait until Reese makes move to care.</P>

POSSIBLE BIG SPENDERS</P>

Teams that have the cap space to make big moves in free agency.</P>

Cincinnati Bengals $80,641,237</P>

Tennessee Titans $92,739,765</P>

Washington Redskins $94,351,284</P>

Kansas City Chiefs $95,844,195</P>

Tampa Bay Buccaneers $98,899,458</P>

Atlanta Falcons $100,227,174</P>

Denver Broncos $101,389,121</P>

New England Patriots $101,827,381</P>

Chicago Bears $101,887,741</P>

San Francisco 49ers $102,938,980</P>

Cleveland Browns $103,789,162</P>

WORKING ON A BUDGET</P>

Teams that aren’t up against the cap, but need to make smart moves to avoid trimming a ton of players and salaries.</P>

Jacksonville Jaguars $107,270,274</P>

Buffalo Bills $108,426,522</P>

Seattle Seahawks $111,742,430</P>

San Diego Chargers $111,960,165</P>

New Orleans Saints $113,358,069</P>

Philadelphia Eagles $113,964,694</P>

Baltimore Ravens $115,670,281</P>

Minnesota Vikings $116,078,422</P>

Houston Texans $116,306,676</P>

Miami Dolphins $116,636,173</P>

Indianapolis Colts $116,773,288</P>

Green Bay Packers $118,001,169</P>

Arizona Cardinals $118,787,639</P>

TIGHTENING THE BELT</P>

Teams that will be at, or over the projected salary cap once they’ve signed the rookie class. These teams must purge their roster moving forward. The higher the cap number, the more drastic the cut backs need to be.</P>

St. Louis Rams $120,982,904</P>

Detroit Lions $122,760,121</P>

New York Giants $124,735,807</P>

New York Jets $128,092,733</P>

Dallas Cowboys $128,910,735</P>

Carolina Panthers $129,962,768</P>

Oakland Raiders $140,861,316</P>

Pittsburgh Steelers $149,885,537</P>

http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports_football_dolphins/2012/02/nfl-salary-cap-projections-for-2012-season.html</P>

</P>

THE_New_York_Giants
02-20-2012, 03:37 PM
Jerry Jones said Dallas has about $20 mill to spend and he plans on spending every last dime. Not sure where you got the tight budget from, but most of these reports are wrong because they don't factor in a myriad of different things that all go into maintaining the cap. I'll wait until Reese makes move to care.</P>

POSSIBLE BIG SPENDERS</P>

Teams that have the cap space to make big moves in free agency.</P>

Cincinnati Bengals*********** $80,641,237</P>

Tennessee Titans************ $92,739,765</P>

Washington Redskins**** $94,351,284</P>

Kansas City Chiefs*********** $95,844,195</P>

Tampa Bay Buccaneers* $98,899,458</P>

Atlanta Falcons**************** $100,227,174</P>

Denver Broncos * * * * * * * *$101,389,121</P>

New England Patriots**** $101,827,381</P>

Chicago Bears******************* $101,887,741</P>

San Francisco 49ers******** $102,938,980</P>

Cleveland Browns*********** $103,789,162</P>

WORKING ON A BUDGET</P>

Teams that aren’t up against the cap, but need to make smart moves to avoid trimming a ton of players and salaries.</P>

Jacksonville Jaguars******* $107,270,274</P>

Buffalo Bills************************ $108,426,522</P>

Seattle Seahawks* * * * * * * $111,742,430</P>

San Diego Chargers******** $111,960,165</P>

New Orleans Saints******** $113,358,069</P>

Philadelphia Eagles********* $113,964,694</P>

Baltimore Ravens************ $115,670,281</P>

Minnesota Vikings********** $116,078,422</P>

Houston Texans * * * * * * * * $116,306,676</P>

Miami Dolphins**************** $116,636,173</P>

Indianapolis Colts************ $116,773,288</P>

Green Bay Packers * * * * * *$118,001,169</P>

Arizona Cardinals************ $118,787,639</P>

TIGHTENING THE BELT</P>

Teams that will be at, or over the projected salary cap once they’ve signed the rookie class. These teams must purge their roster moving forward. The higher the cap number, the more drastic the cut backs need to be.</P>

St. Louis Rams****************** $120,982,904</P>

Detroit Lions********************* $122,760,121</P>

New York Giants************* $124,735,807</P>

New York Jets** *************** $128,092,733</P>

Dallas Cowboys**************** $128,910,735</P>

Carolina Panthers*********** $129,962,768</P>

Oakland Raiders************** $140,861,316</P>

Pittsburgh Steelers******** $149,885,537</P>

http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports_football_dolphins/2012/02/nfl-salary-cap-projections-for-2012-season.html</P>

*</P>
I don't understand how the Eagles are year in and year out significantly under the cap. It really is mind boggling to me.

MikeSherrard
02-20-2012, 03:44 PM
YOU BLAME THE SAME PEOPLE THAT ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR 2 SUPER BOWL TITLES IN 4 YEARS!

THE GIANTS SIGNED PLAYERS TO LARGE CONTRACTS IN ORDER TO WIN....AND THEY DID!

TuckYou
02-20-2012, 03:45 PM
I don't understand how the Eagles are year in and year out significantly under the cap. It really is mind boggling to me.</P>

They have a hell of a front office financially. They are great at structuring contracts and not having heavy contracts they cant get out of easily. Not sure how they fully do it though. But there they are again, under the cap and ready to do some more shopping.</P>

Reese paid Eli dearly, but Eli is playing like he is getting paid. But contracts like CWeb, Jacobs, Canty, Rolle and Diehl and Snee really hamper us. Cweb, as good as he is, is making a ton of money. Same with Eli. In 2017, Eli will be making almost $20M!</P>

MikeSherrard
02-20-2012, 03:46 PM
ST LOUIS...........THEY HAVE SOMETHING TO COMPLAIN ABOUT!...OVER BUDGET AND HARDLY ANY WINS IN THE LAST 3 YEARS

TuckYou
02-20-2012, 03:48 PM
ST LOUIS...........THEY HAVE SOMETHING TO COMPLAIN ABOUT!...OVER BUDGET AND HARDLY ANY WINS IN THE LAST 3 YEARS
</P>

Thats what happens when you continually have a top 5 pick up until last year. Those players GOT PAID big time money before ever taking a snap. Look at Bradford or Longs contracts. </P>

Tommy_Ribs
02-20-2012, 03:55 PM
We don't really have salary cap issues.

We built team to compete for a SB, and we won it.

That is money well spent.

Our core guys aren't going anywhere.

Brandon Jacobs, Kareem McKenzie are replaceable. Deon Grant is replaceable. Aaron Ross is replaceable. Mario Manningham is replaceable (I will miss him), Osi may be traded (I hope not)

We need to re-work some contracts, and draft well, but next year we will still have Eli, great receivers, a better O-line, a great defensive line, a good secondary.

Reese at the helm of this ship, and I am not worried at all. He will put good talent out there next year as well.

Tommy_Ribs
02-20-2012, 04:03 PM
Also, next year we get back:
Marvin Austin
Jonathan Goff
and Possibly:
Clint Sintim, Terrell Thomas

Austin is a guy they were excited about, and had a first round grade, so it will be like getting a bonus guy in the draft this year :-)

If there is ANY way we get Terrell Thomas back to form - then we may even have a stronger next year than we did last year.

The GIANTS know what they are doing.

THE_New_York_Giants
02-20-2012, 04:06 PM
* I don't understand how the Eagles are year in and year out significantly under the cap. It really is mind boggling to me.</P>

They have a hell of a front office financially. They are great at structuring contracts and not having heavy contracts they cant get out of easily. Not sure how they fully do it though. But there they are again, under the cap and ready to do some more shopping.</P>

Reese paid Eli dearly, but Eli is playing like he is getting paid. But contracts like CWeb, Jacobs, Canty, Rolle and Diehl and Snee really hamper us. Cweb, as good as he is, is making a ton of money. Same with Eli. In 2017, Eli will be making almost $20M!</P>
I wouldn't be surprised if they are handing out some dollars under the table.

wideright91
02-20-2012, 04:07 PM
Marvin Austin
Jonathan Goff
and Possibly:

Austin is a guy they were excited about, and had a first round grade, so it will be like getting a bonus guy in the draft this year :-)

If there is ANY way we get Terrell Thomas back to form - then we may even have a stronger next year than we did last year.

You think having Clint "Let's Wipe Ourselves With A 2nd Round Pick" Sintim on the roster is a positive? (It's not the catchiest nickname, I know.)

thomsoad
02-20-2012, 04:59 PM
The Giants are once again well over the Cap limit and need to dump quality players because of it.</P>

Kind of sucks we wont be able to retain any of our FAs without some major adjustments. This could be a completely different team next season. Reese pulled it off last year and was right. But can he do it again? Manningham, Thomas, Ross and KMac are most likely all gone. Baas, Jacobs, Canty, CWeb, Eli*all NEED to retructure their contracts or*Jerry will have some major decisions to make. </P>

This also means we are not going to be able to sign any big time FAs for the 2nd year in a row, while teams like Philly and Washington can reload. Dallas is also on a tight budget. I know Philly's spending spree didnt work last year, but there is no denying the talent they have.</P>

Before you say we have to resign Mario or Thomas or whoever, think about it. How can we really afford it? Looks like we will let all those guys test the market and pray we hit on the draft. </P>

<DIV class="actorDescription actorName" data-ft='{"type":2}'><SPAN class=messageBody data-ft='{"type":3}'><FONT size=3>Giants are $9M over the cap and need to trim it by March 13th, when FA begins. </FONT></SPAN></DIV></H6>
<H6 class=uiStreamMessage data-ft='{"type":1}'><SPAN class=messageBody data-ft='{"type":3}'><FONT size=3></FONT></SPAN>*</H6>

I guess Reese for choosing quality draft picks.

Or maybe Coughlin for developing them? I think its a very small price to pay.

Delicreep
02-20-2012, 05:12 PM
I blame society.

G-Man67
02-20-2012, 05:28 PM
BLAME?!?!?!?, really? ... we just won the Super Bowl ... would you rather be under the cap without the Super Bowl?

2010 was an uncapped year ... nobody knew what the cap would be in 2011 until just right before the season started

here's the deal ... you hit the RESET button once we won the Super Bowl ... who in their right mind would wanna change anything leading up to that .... so what move/non-move have we screwed up in the last few weeks ????

Zoboomafoo
02-20-2012, 05:32 PM
Marvin Austin
Jonathan Goff
and Possibly:

Goff, Thomas, and Sintim are all free agents (Thomas is unrestricted). So they aren't counting towards the cap right now. Which is a bad thing if they want to bring them back.

Restructuring contracts is nice, but you will rarely find a player that will actually give back or voluntarily cut salary without the threat of being cut by the team. When these guys restructure "for the good of the team", all they're doing is pushing money into next year's cap. Which is why this vicious cycle of cap hell will not stop until they're so bad they go into rebuilding mode.

dubee_j
02-20-2012, 05:36 PM
I keep seeing people say we are over the cap, but where are these numbers coming from? Being that we have 20 free agents, I refuse to believe we are over the cap unless someone can legitimately show we are.

RoanokeFan
02-20-2012, 05:40 PM
The Giants are once again well over the Cap limit and need to dump quality players because of it.</p>

Kind of sucks we wont be able to retain any of our FAs without some major adjustments. This could be a completely different team next season. Reese pulled it off last year and was right. But can he do it again? Manningham, Thomas, Ross and KMac are most likely all gone. Baas, Jacobs, Canty, CWeb, Eliall NEED to retructure their contracts orJerry will have some major decisions to make. </p>

This also means we are not going to be able to sign any big time FAs for the 2nd year in a row, while teams like Philly and Washington can reload. Dallas is also on a tight budget. I know Philly's spending spree didnt work last year, but there is no denying the talent they have.</p>

Before you say we have to resign Mario or Thomas or whoever, think about it. How can we really afford it? Looks like we will let all those guys test the market and pray we hit on the draft. </p>

But hey, we just won another Superbowl!</p>
<h6 class="uiStreamMessage uiStreamHeadline">
<div class="actorDescription actorName" data-ft="{&quot;type&quot;:2}"><span class="messageBody" data-ft="{&quot;type&quot;:3}"><font size="3">Giants are $9M over the cap and need to trim it by March 13th, when FA begins. </font></span></div></h6>
<h6 class="uiStreamMessage" data-ft="{&quot;type&quot;:1}"><span class="messageBody" data-ft="{&quot;type&quot;:3}"><font size="3"></font></span></h6>

This isn't news. It's the same situation we had at the start of last year when the announced the new, lower CAP negotiated in the CBA. Reese will figure it out and it will involve losing players like Manningham, Jacobs, Diehl or restructuring their deals.

There are things they can and will do to keep the players THEY feel are NEEDS.

buddy33
02-20-2012, 05:41 PM
They will have it figured out. How did they get here? Well, didn't they lower the cap this past off season as part of the new contract?

Also, I think it is not all that strange to have a high pay roll when you have 2 Super Bowl wins in the last 4 years.

Zoboomafoo
02-20-2012, 05:41 PM
Here's a player breakdown by cap amount (change the base salaries drop down to Cap Hit):

http://www.spotrac.com/top-salaries/nfl/new-york-giants/

But that's just current salary cap numbers per player. There's also dead money that will affect the cap but not a specific player. With all player compensation and dead money, the Giants are slightly over the cap:

http://www.askthecommish.com/salarycap/numbers.asp

RoanokeFan
02-20-2012, 05:43 PM
I keep seeing people say we are over the cap, but where are these numbers coming from? Being that we have 20 free agents, I refuse to believe we are over the cap unless someone can legitimately show we are.

NFL TEAM CAP SPACE (http://nfltraderumors.co/nfl-team-cap-space/)

Excerpt: "<strong style="margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; border-top-style: none; border-right-style: none; border-bottom-style: none; border-left-style: none; border-width: initial; border-color: initial; border-image: initial; outline-style: none; outline-width: initial; outline-color: initial; font-family: Arial, 'Microsoft Sans Serif', 'Lucida Sans Unicode'; line-height: normal; "><span style="margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; border-top-style: none; border-right-style: none; border-bottom-style: none; border-left-style: none; border-width: initial; border-color: initial; border-image: initial; outline-style: none; outline-width: initial; outline-color: initial; font-family: Arial, 'Microsoft Sans Serif', 'Lucida Sans Unicode'; line-height: normal; text-decoration: underline; ">NFC East

</span>[/b]<p style="margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 30px; margin-left: 0px; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; border-top-style: none; border-right-style: none; border-bottom-style: none; border-left-style: none; border-width: initial; border-color: initial; border-image: initial; outline-style: none; outline-width: initial; outline-color: initial; font-family: Arial, 'Microsoft Sans Serif', 'Lucida Sans Unicode'; line-height: 1.8em; font-size: 12px; color: rgb(51, 51, 51); font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: normal; orphans: 2; text-align: -webkit-auto; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: normal; widows: 2; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-size-adjust: auto; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; background-color: rgb(244, 244, 244); ">Cowboys: $17.14 million</p><p style="margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 30px; margin-left: 0px; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; border-top-style: none; border-right-style: none; border-bottom-style: none; border-left-style: none; border-width: initial; border-color: initial; border-image: initial; outline-style: none; outline-width: initial; outline-color: initial; font-family: Arial, 'Microsoft Sans Serif', 'Lucida Sans Unicode'; line-height: 1.8em; font-size: 12px; color: rgb(51, 51, 51); font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: normal; orphans: 2; text-align: -webkit-auto; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: normal; widows: 2; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-size-adjust: auto; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; background-color: rgb(244, 244, 244); ">Giants: $1.06 million</p><p style="margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 30px; margin-left: 0px; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; border-top-style: none; border-right-style: none; border-bottom-style: none; border-left-style: none; border-width: initial; border-color: initial; border-image: initial; outline-style: none; outline-width: initial; outline-color: initial; font-family: Arial, 'Microsoft Sans Serif', 'Lucida Sans Unicode'; line-height: 1.8em; font-size: 12px; color: rgb(51, 51, 51); font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: normal; orphans: 2; text-align: -webkit-auto; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: normal; widows: 2; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-size-adjust: auto; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; background-color: rgb(244, 244, 244); ">Eagles:$11.01 million</p><p style="margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 30px; margin-left: 0px; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; border-top-style: none; border-right-style: none; border-bottom-style: none; border-left-style: none; border-width: initial; border-color: initial; border-image: initial; outline-style: none; outline-width: initial; outline-color: initial; font-family: Arial, 'Microsoft Sans Serif', 'Lucida Sans Unicode'; line-height: 1.8em; font-size: 12px; color: rgb(51, 51, 51); font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: normal; orphans: 2; text-align: -webkit-auto; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: normal; widows: 2; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-size-adjust: auto; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; background-color: rgb(244, 244, 244); ">Redskins: $13.6 million</p>

dubee_j
02-20-2012, 05:54 PM
So we are talking about the 2011 salary cap not the 2012 salary cap?

TuckYou
02-20-2012, 06:30 PM
So we are talking about the 2011 salary cap not the 2012 salary cap?</P>

I used 2012 estimated #s. Meaning before FAs are signed. It doesnt include 2012 FAs like MM, or Thomas or Goff or Ross. </P>

I guess the word BLAME is too strong since we won it all, but think of it like this, if we lose that call vs Arizona and miss the playoffs at 8-8, we would of missed the playoffs 3 straight years and about to lose all our FAs again. Somewhere the $$$ isnt going where it should be. We need to free up space to get Cruz his money since he does deserve more then 500K next year. We need to hold on to guys like Nicks and JPP. It seems like every year it gets worse and worse. </P>

I trust in Reese and know he will do what he can. </P>

RoanokeFan
02-20-2012, 07:22 PM
So we are talking about the 2011 salary cap not the 2012 salary cap?

There are some aspects for this year I'm not sure about. A roll over of previous CAP funds and an exception that factor in. That's probably becasue several teams are under water.

Harooni
02-20-2012, 08:41 PM
we are going to have to trim some of the fat.

sack the fat players and coaches first.

NYGRealityCheck
02-20-2012, 09:29 PM
We don't really have salary cap issues.

We* built* team to compete for a SB, and we won it.

That is money well spent.

Our core guys aren't going anywhere.

Brandon Jacobs, Kareem McKenzie are replaceable.* Deon Grant is replaceable.* Aaron Ross is replaceable.* Mario Manningham is replaceable (I will miss him), Osi may be traded (I hope not)

We need to re-work some contracts, and draft well, but next year we will still have Eli, great receivers, a better O-line, a great defensive line, a good secondary.

Reese at the helm of this ship, and I am not worried at all.* He will put good talent out there next year as well.

BINGO! I agree. The team won the Superbowl. Mission Accomplished! Money well-spent on the players. There's absolutely Nothing to blame for.

The cap issue is just part of the annual off-season management of the team. There will be cap issues next year, the year after, etc...
Reese has been doing a great job.

Harooni
02-20-2012, 11:59 PM
<table><tbody><tr><td class="logo even">http://www.spotrac.com/assets/images/thumb/nygiants.png (http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-york-giants/)
</td>
<td class="player even">
Eli Manning (http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-york-giants/eli-manning/)
<span class="at">at</span>
<span class="position">Quarterback</span>
</td>
<td class="playerinfo even">
<span class="playersalary">$15,190,475</span>
</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td class="logo " style="width: 20px;"><center>2</center></td>
<td class="logo ">
http://www.spotrac.com/assets/images/thumb/nygiants.png (http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-york-giants/)
</td>
<td class="player ">
Antrel Rolle (http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-york-giants/antrel-rolle/)
<span class="position">Safety</span>
</td>
<td class="playerinfo ">
<span class="playersalary">$9,100,000</span>
</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td class="logo even" style="width: 20px;"><center>3</center></td>
<td class="logo even">
http://www.spotrac.com/assets/images/thumb/nygiants.png (http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-york-giants/)
</td>
<td class="player even">
Justin Tuck (http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-york-giants/justin-tuck/)
<span class="position">Defensive End</span>
</td>
<span class="playersalary">$8,000,000</span>
</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td class="logo " style="width: 20px;"><center>4</center></td>
<td class="logo ">
</td>
<td class="player ">
Chris Snee (http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-york-giants/chris-snee/)
<span class="position">Guard</span>
</td>
<td class="playerinfo ">
<span class="playersalary">$7,783,333</span>
</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td class="logo even" style="width: 20px;"><center>5</center></td>
<td class="logo even">
</td>
<td class="player even">
Chris Canty (http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-york-giants/chris-canty/)
</td>
<span class="playersalary">$7,666,667</span>
</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td class="logo " style="width: 20px;"><center>6</center></td>
<td class="logo ">
</td>
<td class="player ">
Brandon Jacobs (http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-york-giants/brandon-jacobs/)
<span class="position">Running Back</span>
</td>
<td class="playerinfo ">
<span class="playersalary">$6,862,500</span>
</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td class="logo even" style="width: 20px;"><center>7</center></td>
<td class="logo even">
</td>
<td class="player even">
Corey Webster (http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-york-giants/corey-webster/)
<span class="position">Cornerback</span>
</td>
<span class="playersalary">$6,750,000</span>
</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td class="logo " style="width: 20px;"><center>8</center></td>
<td class="logo ">
</td>
<td class="player ">
Michael Boley (http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-york-giants/michael-boley/)
<span class="position">Linebacker</span>
</td>
<td class="playerinfo ">
<span class="playersalary">$5,650,000</span>
</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td class="logo even" style="width: 20px;"><center>9</center></td>
<td class="logo even">
</td>
<td class="player even">
Mathias Kiwanuka (http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-york-giants/mathias-kiwanuka/)
<span class="position">Linebacker</span>
</td>
<span class="playersalary">$5,550,000</span>
</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td class="logo " style="width: 20px;"><center>10</center></td>
<td class="logo ">
</td>
<td class="player ">
David Baas (http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-york-giants/david-baas/)
<span class="position">Guard</span>
</td>
<td class="playerinfo ">
<span class="playersalary">$4,950,000</span>
</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td class="logo even" style="width: 20px;"><center>11</center></td>
<td class="logo even">
</td>
<td class="player even">
Osi Umenyiora (http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-york-giants/osi-umenyiora/)
</td>
<span class="playersalary">$4,617,857</span>
</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td class="logo " style="width: 20px;"><center>12</center></td>
<td class="logo ">
</td>
<td class="player ">
Ahmad Bradshaw (http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-york-giants/ahmad-bradshaw/)
<span class="position">Running Back</span>
</td>
<td class="playerinfo ">
<span class="playersalary">$4,500,000</span>
</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td class="logo even" style="width: 20px;"><center>13</center></td>
<td class="logo even">
</td>
<td class="player even">
David Diehl (http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-york-giants/david-diehl/)
<span class="position">Tackle</span>
</td>
<span class="playersalary">$3,825,000</span>
</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td class="logo " style="width: 20px;"><center>14</center></td>
<td class="logo ">
</td>
<td class="player ">
Jason Pierre-Paul (http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-york-giants/jason-pierre-paul/)
</td>
<td class="playerinfo ">
<span class="playersalary">$3,150,961</span>
</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td class="logo even" style="width: 20px;"><center>15</center></td>
<td class="logo even">
</td>
<td class="player even">
Hakeem Nicks (http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-york-giants/hakeem-nicks/)
<span class="position">Wide Receiver</span>
</td>
<span class="playersalary">$2,050,000</span>
</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td class="logo " style="width: 20px;"><center>16</center></td>
<td class="logo ">
</td>
<td class="player ">
Kenny Phillips (http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-york-giants/kenny-phillips/)
<span class="position">Safety</span>
</td>
<td class="playerinfo ">
<span class="playersalary">$1,986,000</span></td></tr></tbody></table>

Harooni
02-21-2012, 12:12 AM
with those cap hits above , I would cut / try to trade rolle,jacobs, canty dheil, and snee(who i think is declining) osi.

JJC7301
02-21-2012, 01:09 AM
I don't know if we would have had cap issues last year and this up coming year if it weren't for the lower cap set by the bargaining agreement.

As far as I know, that's really the only reason why Reese finds himself hampered. We had a payroll based on a higher cap, and now we live in a world of a smaller cap. JR and the FO have to make adjustments. Just the facts of life.

We'll be fine.

bearbryant
02-21-2012, 01:17 AM
<TABLE>
<TBODY>
<TR>
<TD class="logo even">http://www.spotrac.com/assets/images/thumb/nygiants.png (http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-york-giants/) </TD>
<TD class="player even">Eli Manning (http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-york-giants/eli-manning/) <SPAN class=at>at</SPAN> <SPAN class=position>Quarterback</SPAN> </TD>
<TD class="playerinfo even"><SPAN class=playersalary>$15,190,475</SPAN> </TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD style="WIDTH: 20px" class="logo ">
<CENTER>2</CENTER></TD>
<TD class="logo ">http://www.spotrac.com/assets/images/thumb/nygiants.png (http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-york-giants/) </TD>
<TD class="player ">Antrel Rolle (http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-york-giants/antrel-rolle/) <SPAN class=at>at</SPAN> <SPAN class=position>Safety</SPAN></TD>
<TD class="playerinfo "><SPAN class=playersalary>$9,100,000</SPAN> </TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD style="WIDTH: 20px" class="logo even">
<CENTER>3</CENTER></TD>
<TD class="logo even">http://www.spotrac.com/assets/images/thumb/nygiants.png (http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-york-giants/) </TD>
<TD class="player even">Justin Tuck (http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-york-giants/justin-tuck/) <SPAN class=at>at</SPAN> <SPAN class=position>Defensive End</SPAN> </TD>
<TD class="playerinfo even"><SPAN class=playersalary>$8,000,000</SPAN> </TD></TR>
<TR>
<CENTER>4</CENTER></TD>
<TD class="logo ">http://www.spotrac.com/assets/images/thumb/nygiants.png (http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-york-giants/) </TD>
<TD class="player ">Chris Snee (http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-york-giants/chris-snee/) <SPAN class=at>at</SPAN> <SPAN class=position>Guard</SPAN> </TD>
<TD class="playerinfo "><SPAN class=playersalary>$7,783,333</SPAN> </TD></TR>
<TR>
<CENTER>5</CENTER></TD>
<TD class="player even">Chris Canty (http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-york-giants/chris-canty/) <SPAN class=at>at</SPAN> <SPAN class=position>Defensive End</SPAN> </TD>
<TD class="playerinfo even"><SPAN class=playersalary>$7,666,667</SPAN> </TD></TR>
<TR>
<CENTER>6</CENTER></TD>
<TD class="player ">Brandon Jacobs (http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-york-giants/brandon-jacobs/) <SPAN class=at>at</SPAN> <SPAN class=position>Running Back</SPAN> </TD>
<TD class="playerinfo "><SPAN class=playersalary>$6,862,500</SPAN> </TD></TR>
<TR>
<CENTER>7</CENTER></TD>
<TD class="player even">Corey Webster (http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-york-giants/corey-webster/) <SPAN class=at>at</SPAN> <SPAN class=position>Cornerback</SPAN> </TD>
<TD class="playerinfo even"><SPAN class=playersalary>$6,750,000</SPAN> </TD></TR>
<TR>
<CENTER>8</CENTER></TD>
<TD class="player ">Michael Boley (http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-york-giants/michael-boley/) <SPAN class=at>at</SPAN> <SPAN class=position>Linebacker</SPAN> </TD>
<TD class="playerinfo "><SPAN class=playersalary>$5,650,000</SPAN> </TD></TR>
<TR>
<CENTER>9</CENTER></TD>
<TD class="player even">Mathias Kiwanuka (http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-york-giants/mathias-kiwanuka/) <SPAN class=at>at</SPAN> <SPAN class=position>Linebacker</SPAN> </TD>
<TD class="playerinfo even"><SPAN class=playersalary>$5,550,000</SPAN> </TD></TR>
<TR>
<CENTER>10</CENTER></TD>
<TD class="player ">David Baas (http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-york-giants/david-baas/) <SPAN class=at>at</SPAN> <SPAN class=position>Guard</SPAN> </TD>
<TD class="playerinfo "><SPAN class=playersalary>$4,950,000</SPAN> </TD></TR>
<TR>
<CENTER>11</CENTER></TD>
<TD class="player even">Osi Umenyiora (http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-york-giants/osi-umenyiora/) <SPAN class=at>at</SPAN> <SPAN class=position>Defensive End</SPAN> </TD>
<TD class="playerinfo even"><SPAN class=playersalary>$4,617,857</SPAN> </TD></TR>
<TR>
<CENTER>12</CENTER></TD>
<TD class="player ">Ahmad Bradshaw (http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-york-giants/ahmad-bradshaw/) <SPAN class=at>at</SPAN> <SPAN class=position>Running Back</SPAN> </TD>
<TD class="playerinfo "><SPAN class=playersalary>$4,500,000</SPAN> </TD></TR>
<TR>
<CENTER>13</CENTER></TD>
<TD class="player even">David Diehl (http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-york-giants/david-diehl/) <SPAN class=at>at</SPAN> <SPAN class=position>Tackle</SPAN> </TD>
<TD class="playerinfo even"><SPAN class=playersalary>$3,825,000</SPAN> </TD></TR>
<TR>
<CENTER>14</CENTER></TD>
<TD class="player ">Jason Pierre-Paul (http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-york-giants/jason-pierre-paul/) <SPAN class=at>at</SPAN> <SPAN class=position>Defensive End</SPAN> </TD>
<TD class="playerinfo "><SPAN class=playersalary>$3,150,961</SPAN> </TD></TR>
<TR>
<CENTER>15</CENTER></TD>
<TD class="player even">Hakeem Nicks (http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-york-giants/hakeem-nicks/) <SPAN class=at>at</SPAN> <SPAN class=position>Wide Receiver</SPAN> </TD>
<TD class="playerinfo even"><SPAN class=playersalary>$2,050,000</SPAN> </TD></TR>
<TR>
<CENTER>16</CENTER></TD>
<TD class="player ">Kenny Phillips (http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-york-giants/kenny-phillips/) <SPAN class=at>at</SPAN> <SPAN class=position>Safety</SPAN> </TD>
<TD class="playerinfo "><SPAN class=playersalary>$1,986,000</SPAN></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><FONT size=5> Rolle, Canty, BJ &amp;Baas all need to restruture or get another home ! I'm certain that this years G-Men will not look like next years group. The draft should be interesting and we willbe active participamts as usual! </FONT>

Toadofsteel
02-21-2012, 04:11 AM
What about Antrel Rolle? His motormouth is not worth 9.1M. I know safety isn't our deepest position, but come on, seriously...

Harooni
02-21-2012, 11:19 AM
What about Antrel Rolle? His motormouth is not worth 9.1M. I know safety isn't our deepest position, but come on, seriously...

no way i would keep him at that cost. lets draft a safety or pick one decent one up somewhere.

canty,rolle,bj all 100percent need to get off the cap imo .

Harooni
02-21-2012, 11:20 AM

no way i would keep him at that cost. lets draft a safety or pick one decent one up somewhere.

canty,rolle,bj all 100percent need to get off the cap imo .

GreenZone
02-21-2012, 01:59 PM
First, the premise of this thread is wrong: 1) Who's to blame and 2) Over the cap right now.

Other than that...

I have to blame Jerry Reese for his doing what's necessary to win a SuperBowl. Or is there some other reason for spending/not spending money?

All I can say is imagine if the Giants were $7 million under the cap in 2011? People would have been belittling Jerry all season long here for passing on this or that free agent.

Having said that, there will undoubtedly be a number of high cap hit players who will be asked to renegotiate.

My prediction is that, Jacobs and McKenzie will save the team $5 million over last year's figures.
Kareem was a $6.085 million cap hit last year and his contract is done. Jacobs was and is around a $6.9 million salary hit.

If you don't re-sign McKenzie and split Jacobs' last year at $6.9 over two seasons, you have gained almost $10 million. Then, re-sign McKenzie for $2 million and you're still $8 million ahead.

Rolle will not be taken in a trade at his salary level, nor will he be offered. He earned his pay this past season, though.

And for players that were on the roster and are now UFA, you can lop off all that money if/until they are resigned.

Zoboomafoo
02-21-2012, 02:40 PM
McKenzie is not under contract. If the Giants don't sign him, they will save zero money. If they do sign him, the cap will grow by his contract. Cutting Jacobs will reduce his cap hit by his base salary, but the prorated signing bonus will still count to the cap.

The only bright side to the cap for Reese is that he can use it as a negotiation tactic. "I'd love to give you more money but..."

gmen46
02-21-2012, 02:54 PM
First, the premise of this thread is wrong: 1) Who's to blame and 2) Over the cap right now.

Other than that...

I have to blame Jerry Reese for his doing what's necessary to win a SuperBowl. Or is there some other reason for spending/not spending money?

All I can say is imagine if the Giants were $7 million under the cap in 2011? People would have been belittling Jerry all season long here for passing on this or that free agent.

Having said that, there will undoubtedly be a number of high cap hit players who will be asked to renegotiate.

My prediction is that, Jacobs and McKenzie will save the team $5 million over last year's figures.
Kareem was a $6.085 million cap hit last year and his contract is done. Jacobs was and is around a $6.9 million salary hit.

If you don't re-sign McKenzie and split Jacobs' last year at $6.9 over two seasons, you have gained almost $10 million. Then, re-sign McKenzie for $2 million and you're still $8 million ahead.

Rolle will not be taken in a trade at his salary level, nor will he be offered. He earned his pay this past season, though.

And for players that were on the roster and are now UFA, you can lop off all that money if/until they are resigned.

Smart post.

RoanokeFan
02-21-2012, 03:05 PM
Marvin Austin
Jonathan Goff
and Possibly:

We need to pay more attention to these guys coming back. One of the unforeseeables in terms of the CAP was IR. For every player on IR, we paid two salaries.

I hope Will Beatty is healthy this season as well.

Eli TO Shockey
02-21-2012, 03:35 PM

Kind of sucks we wont be able to retain any of our FAs without some major adjustments. This could be a completely different team next season. Reese pulled it off last year and was right. But can he do it again? Manningham, Thomas, Ross and KMac are most likely all gone. Baas, Jacobs, Canty, CWeb, Eli*all NEED to retructure their contracts or*Jerry will have some major decisions to make. </P>

<H6 class=uiStreamMessage data-ft='{"type":1}'><SPAN class=messageBody data-ft='{"type":3}'><FONT size=3></FONT></SPAN>*</H6>

A Super Bowl winning roster is to blame

pica01
02-21-2012, 04:07 PM
If there's one thing Reese hasn't done a good job with it's managing the cap.But I forgive him.2 SB's in 4 years!Somehow,with all the mistakes the Redskins have made with FA signings recently,they are 40 million under the cap.How,I don't know.I just hope Peyton doesn't end up in Washington.That would suck.

pica01
02-21-2012, 04:14 PM
Great info assuming it's accurate.Rolle,Canty and obviously Jacobs will have to restructure lower to return.Even Webster possibly.The one bullet in the cap gun is always Eli.His contract will be restructured at some point,same money longterm,to creat cap space.When is the question.

Drez
02-21-2012, 04:58 PM
Great info assuming it's accurate.Rolle,Canty and obviously Jacobs will have to restructure lower to return.Even Webster possibly.The one bullet in the cap gun is always Eli.His contract will be restructured at some point,same money longterm,to creat cap space.When is the question.</P>

Eli, Rolle, Jacobs, and Webster all restructured last summer. </P>

And remember, if they do restructure the contracts will just cause bigger cap hits in future years unless they add years to the contract. </P>

pica01
02-21-2012, 05:10 PM
I thought Eli just signed a new deal,not restructured.As far as the others,Rolle and Jacobs cap #'s this year require action.We have cap issues.Tough choices lay ahead again this year.Much tougher than losing Boss,Smith,O'hara and Seubert etc.

Drez
02-21-2012, 05:22 PM
I thought Eli just signed a new deal,not restructured.As far as the others,Rolle and Jacobs cap #'s this year require action.We have cap issues.Tough choices lay ahead again this year.Much tougher than losing Boss,Smith,O'hara and Seubert etc.</P>

Yeah, Eli restructured last year. I don't recall seeing the details of it, but I know he did.</P>

Jacobs cap number from above looks wrong. He restructured to take less money last season so we could keep AB. A lot of the money in hiscontract was incentivized.I can't find anything to the contrary, so I can't really dispute it... but it seems way too high. I think his cap hit is closer to $5m, not $7m. He will have to take a pay cut to stay here, though. </P>

Rolle's cap number this year is a direct result of his restructuring last season. If you take some of his base salary and spread it as a signing bonus across the remainder of his contract then it just makes the following years cap numbers higher. That's what happened last offseason.And honestly, with everything we've asked him to do, play nickle corner, play hybrid LB, etc., he deserves it. Sure, people think he isn't worth it, but he's been a major cog in our secondary and plays better than people think. He's also stepped up as a locker room leader. </P>

There's only so much relief we can get by restructuring, and all it really does is postpone the problem.</P>

Some tough choices are going to have to be made, but I have faith that the FO will do what is best for the team, even if their decisions aren't popular ones.</P>

slipknottin
02-21-2012, 05:28 PM
Ill say it again because people dont seem to understand.

Rolle is getting paid 9+ mil this season because he restructured his contract last year, he converted his base salary into a signing bonus which distributes it over the remainder of his contract.

If he is cut, the giants would have a cap penalty of at least 6 million.

Its more cap friendly to not cut him.

If he restructures again, and converts his salary this year into a signing bonus again, then the same problem happens next year, but instead of it being 9 million it will be closer to 13. And if cut next year the cap penalty will be about 10 million.

It is in the giants best interest to leave Rolle's contract alone this season.

freeoscar
02-21-2012, 05:33 PM
as long as we have Eli, I have no problem being right on the razor's edge of the cap each year. what's the point of saving money when you have a top 5 QB who is clearly capable of winning the SB?
While they have some cap issues at this point, there isn't one crucial player who will be a victim this year. all the irreplacables (Eli, JPP, Tuck, Nicks, Cruz) are under contract at reasonable numbers. Osi is under contract for a reasonable number as well.

TuckYou
02-21-2012, 05:40 PM
<SPAN class=messageBody data-ft='{"type":3}'>From Tom Rock: Jacobs says he has "a feeling" Giants want him back and they know what it will take. Ultimately, it will be the Giants' choice, not Jacobs'.</SPAN></P>

<SPAN class=messageBody data-ft='{"type":3}'>Here is a funny thought, last year, Jacobs took a pay cut to keep Bradshaw on the team. What if Bradshaw takes the paycut this year to keep Jacobs on the team? lol Its like they both loaned money to each other.</SPAN></P>

slipknottin
02-21-2012, 05:41 PM
jacobs makes a lot more money than bradshaw does though. I think bradshaw only makes about 3 mil this season.

What is interesting is that bradshaws salary jumps after the 2012 season. Perhaps assuming he will take on a heavier role, as Jacobs will leave.

MattMeyerBud
02-21-2012, 05:45 PM
The Giants are once again well over the Cap limit and need to dump quality players because of it.</p>

Kind of sucks we wont be able to retain any of our FAs without some major adjustments. This could be a completely different team next season. Reese pulled it off last year and was right. But can he do it again? Manningham, Thomas, Ross and KMac are most likely all gone. Baas, Jacobs, Canty, CWeb, Eliall NEED to retructure their contracts orJerry will have some major decisions to make. </p>

This also means we are not going to be able to sign any big time FAs for the 2nd year in a row, while teams like Philly and Washington can reload. Dallas is also on a tight budget. I know Philly's spending spree didnt work last year, but there is no denying the talent they have.</p>

Before you say we have to resign Mario or Thomas or whoever, think about it. How can we really afford it? Looks like we will let all those guys test the market and pray we hit on the draft. </p>

<div class="actorDescription actorName" data-ft="{&quot;type&quot;:2}"><span class="messageBody" data-ft="{&quot;type&quot;:3}"><font size="3">Giants are $9M over the cap and need to trim it by March 13th, when FA begins. </font></span></div></h6>
<h6 class="uiStreamMessage" data-ft="{&quot;type&quot;:1}"><span class="messageBody" data-ft="{&quot;type&quot;:3}"><font size="3"></font></span></h6>

Jerry Reese is to "blame". 5 years two superbowls, that will inflate anybody's salary cap, especially when the cap gets dramatically lowered

Its a problem when u draft so good that players coming off of rookie contracts deserve a big deal, but its a good problem. It means your GM knows how to draft.

Everybody needs to accept that we're not going to get any big name players. Theres also a reason: WE DONT NEED ANY! WE HAVE ENOUGH.

RoanokeFan
02-21-2012, 08:10 PM

Jerry Reese is to "blame". 5 years two superbowls, that will inflate anybody's salary cap, especially when the cap gets dramatically lowered

Its a problem when u draft so good that players coming off of rookie contracts deserve a big deal, but its a good problem. It means your GM knows how to draft.

Everybody needs to accept that we're not going to get any big name players. Theres also a reason: WE DONT NEED ANY! WE HAVE ENOUGH.

Reese has said he doesn't do "sexy" in free agency. I can live with it.

foosball
02-21-2012, 08:26 PM
A few free agent signings and really good drafting are the reason. Trust me, the Giants have a good problem. They are at or over the cap with a performing team. It's not like they are the deadskins.

jomo
02-21-2012, 08:33 PM
Blame???</P>

Problems???</P>

We have cap issues every year and JR works it out.</P>

RoanokeFan
02-21-2012, 08:40 PM
Blame???</p>

Problems???</p>

We have cap issues every year and JR works it out.</p>

Yes, but whose to B L A M E? [;)]

NYGRealityCheck
02-21-2012, 08:56 PM

Rolle is getting paid 9+ mil this season because he restructured his contract last year, he converted his base salary into a signing bonus which distributes it over the remainder of his contract.

If he restructures again, and converts his salary this year into a signing bonus again, then the same problem happens next year, but instead of it being 9 million it will be closer to 13. And if cut next year the cap penalty will be about 10 million.

i agree. It would help if some people took the time to simply research or understand how NFL player contracts are done from google or wiki or nfl.com, etc...

Harooni
02-22-2012, 01:40 AM

thx didnt realize

however if you cut/ trade him you still save 3mill toward the cap this season and you are that much better off the next season.

we just won a SB we can afford to make several cuts and take cap penalties to insure plenty of cap space for 2013 and beyond.