PDA

View Full Version : Would Drafting A Defensive Player, Be A Wasted Pick ?

BlueBlitzer
02-20-2012, 08:17 PM
With a veteran secondary bringing back TT, Prince, ( with the possibility of Chad Jones coming back ) plus Tyson, Coe. With a LBing Corp having a solid group of veterans and Rookies all signed (with Goff coming back ). With a Defensive line all signed with Marvin Austin coming back. I just do not know if a Defensive rookie, could make this squad.

GmenFan1980
02-20-2012, 08:23 PM
Can never have too many pass rushers, or corner backs either lol :P

NWKEffectElement
02-20-2012, 08:33 PM
No.

slipknottin
02-20-2012, 08:34 PM
I dont think there is a single position on defense that they couldnt improve on.

Worst case, you add a quality depth player, which with the injuries this team gets, is always a positive.

jgrangers11
02-20-2012, 08:41 PM
No such thing as a wasted pick as long as the guy doesn't bust. I think there's a lot of ways the Giants could go with their early picks next year. I think the most pressing need is an offensive lineman or a true impact linebacker, but fortunately, right now, we have no real glaring needs.

Bohemian
As long as we get the best player available, and he happens to produce and improve as any first round rookie should... then, there is no such a thing as a wasted pick.

A wasted pick is a player that you think you need, then go out of your way to skip a bunch of talented prospect in order to fill a 'need position player', only to have your heart and bank broken.

BlueBlitzer
This year may be the exception. Looking at all the bodies across the board, how is a rook gonna crack the starting line up, or take playing time away from a player we have invested time in, that has earned His reps during a game ?

Bohemian
02-20-2012, 08:43 PM
No such thing as a wasted pick as long as the guy doesn't bust. I think there's a lot of ways the Giants could go with their early picks next year. I think the most pressing need is an offensive lineman or a true impact linebacker, but fortunately, right now, we have no real glaring needs.

I agree with both of your points. An OLineman would be great to have... anything to help Eli and the Running game.

JMFP2
02-20-2012, 08:48 PM
I'd be thrilled with a linebacker, and happy with a safety or cornerback.</P>

slipknottin
02-20-2012, 08:49 PM
This year may be the exception. Looking at all the bodies across the board, how is a rook gonna crack the starting line up, or take playing time away from a player we have invested time in, that has earned His reps during a game ?

Lets see.

They have only 2 guys at DT with any NFL experience.
DE they have 3 guys, they need someone to take Tollefson's reps. Even a bigger issue if Osi is dealt.
LB they have no MLB other than Greg Jones.
CB they have Webster, Prince, and thats it. (pending resigning FAs)
S they have KP, Rolle, and Sash, unless they are giving that Grant roll to Sash, another safety could come in and take that job.

Redeyejedi
02-20-2012, 08:50 PM
This year may be the exception. Looking at all the bodies across the board, how is a rook gonna crack the starting line up, or take playing time away from a player we have invested time in, that has earned His reps during a game ?U never know.I didnt expect to see Herzlich starting this season and he did

BlueBlitzer
02-20-2012, 09:18 PM

Lets see.

DE they have 3 guys, they need someone to take Tollefson's reps. Even a bigger issue if Osi is dealt.
S they have KP, Rolle, and Sash, unless they are giving that Grant roll to Sash, another safety could come in and take that job.

I don't know slip. For one thing we have 3 DTs with exp. There's also Rockey Bernard. You cannot discount TT and Ross. JR has said supposedly that TT is a priority. And Ross has gotten 2 rings but no team is going to throw buckets of money at Him. If Chad Jones's doctors have cleared Him to play with no restrictions ( I think He'll be on the final 53 ). With Goff coming back, we have all the right pieces at LBer. Why replace Tollifson ? ( They have been trying for years, but He keeps on making plays ). as far as injuries ? It's always a crapshoot. What if the only players that get in jured are the Kickers ? A rookie MLBer won't help too much lol.

slipknottin
02-20-2012, 09:30 PM
[
I don't know slip. For one thing we have 3 DTs with exp. There's also Rockey Bernard. You cannot discount TT and Ross. JR has said supposedly that TT is a priority. And Ross has gotten 2 rings but no team is going to throw buckets of money at Him. If Chad Jones's doctors have cleared Him to play with no restrictions ( I think He'll be on the final 53 ). With Goff coming back, we have all the right pieces at LBer. Why replace Tollifson ? ( They have been trying for years, but He keeps on making plays ). as far as injuries ? It's always a crapshoot. What if the only players that get in jured are the Kickers ? A rookie MLBer won't help too much lol.

Bernard, Tolly, Ross, T2, Goff, all not under contract.

jgrangers11
02-20-2012, 09:35 PM

Lets see.

The Giants still don't have a true impact linebacker and if there's someone sitting there at 32 that they feel can make a difference they should grab him. Right now, we're fortunately in a great position where we can work with the best player available mentality.

gmen0820
02-20-2012, 09:40 PM
No, because we have our share of holes on defense.

I don't expect anything from Marvin Austin next year and we need a 3rd safety to accommodate our Big Nickel package, because Grant is getting old and might even retire.

And who plays MIKE for us next year if we can't resign Blackburn or Goff? Jones? And what if he gets hurt?

We might lose a lot of depth on defense and we are broke, and in bad shape to resign or sign anyone.

BlueBlitzer
02-20-2012, 09:41 PM
[

But not one sans TT can really cash in. Of coarse thats also a crapshoot.

gmen0820
02-20-2012, 09:49 PM
[

But not one sans TT can really cash in. Of coarse thats also a crapshoot.And no one can cash in with us. We have no salary cap room.

BlueBlitzer
02-20-2012, 09:59 PM
[

But not one sans TT can really cash in. Of coarse thats also a crapshoot.And no one can cash in with us. We have no salary cap room.

A CB coming off a leg injurie can't demand top dollar.

slipknottin
02-20-2012, 09:59 PM
A CB coming off a leg injurie can't demand top dollar.

Considering the giants have negative cap room right now... He can certainly demand more than the giants can pay him.

BlueBlitzer
02-20-2012, 10:07 PM
A CB coming off a leg injury can't demand top dollar.

Considering the giants have negative cap room right now... He can certainly demand more than the giants can pay him.

On the flip side the Giants do have a bargaining chip ( They proved they can win a SB with out Him. ) Jerry Reese knows all this. Contracts are going to be restructured, And a popular player or two will be cut. If signing TT meant losing Brandon Jacobs, would you do it ?

buddy33
02-20-2012, 10:07 PM
Even though they just won the Super Bowl there is not a single position, other than QB, that they couldn't use help with.

BlueBlitzer
02-20-2012, 10:13 PM
Even though they just won the Super Bowl there is not a single position, other than QB, that they couldn't use help with.

On the offensive side of the ball I agree.

Voldamort
02-20-2012, 10:15 PM

I don't expect anything from Marvin Austin next year and we need a 3rd safety to accommodate our Big Nickel package, because Grant is getting old and might even retire.

And who plays MIKE for us next year if we can't resign Blackburn or Goff? Jones? And what if he gets hurt?

We might lose a lot of depth on defense and we are broke, and in bad shape to resign or sign anyone.sash can take over for grant,austin and prince will have to play a big part!does Sintum come back? looks like Blackburn and Jones? TT and Goff will be the big??????

gmen0820
02-20-2012, 10:31 PM

We might lose a lot of depth on defense and we are broke, and in bad shape to resign or sign anyone.sash can take over for grant,austin and prince will have to play a big part!does Sintum come back? looks like Blackburn and Jones? TT and Goff will be the big??????I hope Sash can be more than a good ST guy. When KP went out, Sash played 2 snaps. We always use three safeties, and we completely went to a different defense in a huge game.

Not really a good sign, but he was just a rookie. Grant was used to cover TEs, I'm not positive that Sash can do that, or play nickel back like Rolle or play deep safety like KP.

And Sintim sucks, Blackburn is a FA, as are TT and Goff....

and we are brooooke

NYSPORTS
02-20-2012, 10:32 PM
28th ranked defense and 32nd ranked running game

Anything on defense or OL is possible.

BlueBlitzer
02-20-2012, 10:42 PM
28th ranked defense and 32nd ranked running game

Anything on defense or OL is possible.

Don't sound like a TV pundint. The playoffs were a whole different Animal. No one ran on us.

slipknottin
02-20-2012, 10:45 PM
On the flip side the Giants do have a bargaining chip ( They proved they can win a SB with out Him. ) Jerry Reese knows all this.

Thats not a bargaining chip. If the giants were the only team trying to sign thomas, then it would be a bargaining chip.

myles2424
02-20-2012, 11:10 PM
Never stop improving your defense.......not to mention, I know it's a sensitive topic around here, but our LBs aren't exactly all that.......

buddy33
02-20-2012, 11:49 PM

On the offensive side of the ball I agree.

I know most people are saying OL or TE, but if there was a good Safety when they draft they could use one of those too. How long will Grant play? What about if they drafted a good CB? We have idea how TT and Ross are going to work out. If they traded Osi and moved Kiwi back to DE they could use another LB. if thh kept Kiwi at LB they would need another DE. As far as DT, they have 2 young ones, one highly paid one, and an older veteran.

JJC7301
02-21-2012, 01:16 AM
Not wasted at all, and don't be surprised if you see a secondary player or DE drafted in the 1st RD if he is BPA.

If Osi is gone either this year or next, we can use another DE.

Webster is healthy and stalwart, but Prince is an unknown right now and Ross could be gone via FA. TT is coming off of major surgery. A pick at CB wouldn't be a surprise. I certainly wouldn't count on Chad Jones, and Tyson and Coe really don't mean much except they are extra bodies.

In the safety position, Grant is 1 year older and may not even be back. Rolle is expensive and if the Giants can find a safety in the 1st that they love, they could possibly draft him and release Rolle or ask him to take a cut.

LB -- the corp here has really improved with their starters AND depth, but there are mike's in this draft who could probably start immediately over Goff and Blackburn.

I don't believe that we need a mike anymore and would rather spend the money elsewhere, but yes, I believe that we could easily spend a 1st round pick on the D this year.

nygsb42champs
02-21-2012, 09:13 AM
A stud LB would be the only defensive pick I could see us making.