PDA

View Full Version : Cruz is screwed for a contract with the Giants.

Pa_Gmen
02-21-2012, 11:18 AM
Great article about why Cruz wont make Elite WR money in the NFL for the next 3 years. Also interesting was that if Cruz signs with a team after next year the Giants get:

"The Giants have all of the leverage with Cruz. In addition to being under contract for another season, the Giants control his rights when his contract expires. Cruz will become a restricted free agent after the 2012 season. They’ll be able to tender him a one-year contract which will give them one of the following options:

1. A right to match offers from other teams
2. A second round pick from the signing club if he signs an offer sheet that they don’t match
3. A first round pick from the signing club on an unmatched offer"

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Why-Victor-Cruz-wont-get-a-huge-payday.html

THE_New_York_Giants
02-21-2012, 11:23 AM
Great article about why Cruz wont make Elite WR money in the NFL for the next 3 years. Also interesting was that if Cruz signs with a team after next year the Giants get:

"The Giants have all of the leverage with Cruz. In addition to being under contract for another season, the Giants control his rights when his contract expires. Cruz will become a restricted free agent after the 2012 season. They’ll be able to tender him a one-year contract which will give them one of the following options:

2. A second round pick from the signing club if he signs an offer sheet that they don’t match

If he makes it to free agency he will get tagged and at the minimum we got compensation which will probably be a 1st and others if he keeps up production.

THE_New_York_Giants
02-21-2012, 11:25 AM

If he makes it to free agency he will get tagged and at the minimum we got compensation which will probably be a 1st and others if he keeps up production.
He'll get paid no matter what though.

jhamburg
02-21-2012, 11:28 AM

Isn't that 2 years?

bansaw
02-21-2012, 11:29 AM
he has Holdout written all over him

Pierre-Paul
02-21-2012, 11:29 AM
It is interesting the language we use. He is "SCREWED"? Please. The guy just had the best year of any of our lives when it comes to professional lives. He was given a huge shot by the Giants. It was a perfect storm for him - great QB, Great team, opening on the roster and great talent.
So I doubt that Vic Cruz sees it as being screwed. But if he is patient, keeps working hard, and stays healthy, Victor cruz will get a big contract eventually.

RoanokeFan
02-21-2012, 11:39 AM

I am as big a fan of Victor Cruz as there is. But to say he's "screwed" is to imply someone is out to get him. He's a phenomenal player who still has time to go on his current contract. He's not a free agent and, while I'd like to see the team extend both Cruz and Nicks, I can understand why, right now, they may hold them to their contracts.

The CAP space issue looms larger for the GIANTS than most other teams. They have a boat load of free agents that they HAVE to deal with right now or lose them to free agency. How successful they will be completely depends on how well they manage the CAP space.

We've seen threads proclaiming "DYNASTY" for the New York Football Giants and, while that would be great, you need the team chemistry to remain as much as it is as you can make it. Money will determine the outcome.

Should Cruz be making more money? Of course. Is he "entitled" to that this season? No.

bansaw
02-21-2012, 11:40 AM
It is interesting the language we use. He is "SCREWED"? Please. The guy just had the best year of any of our lives when it comes to professional lives. He was given a huge shot by the Giants. It was a perfect storm for him - great QB, Great team, opening on the roster and great talent.
So I doubt that Vic Cruz sees it as being screwed. But if he is patient, keeps working hard, and stays healthy, Victor cruz will get a big contract eventually.its 2012

no one is patient anymore, even less keep working hard

bansaw
02-21-2012, 11:42 AM
I got it Roanoke

thanks again mate !!! [B]

Bohemian
02-21-2012, 11:43 AM
Cruz will definitely get paid sooner or later. Plus, he will likely be getting a huge pay hike for next season, regardless of the cap issues, as his current contract is too small.

I can see the Giants giving him a back-loaded contract, with incentives and guarantees, so to keep him while minimizing cap room issues.

There are plenty of option that Cruz's representatives can take and keep him with the Giants for a few years.

Go Blue!

Diamondring
02-21-2012, 11:46 AM
I hope Cruz production keeps up.

RoanokeFan
02-21-2012, 11:47 AM
So I doubt that Vic Cruz sees it as being screwed. But if he is patient, keeps working hard, and stays healthy, Victor cruz will get a big contract eventually.its 2012

no one is patient anymore, even less keep working hard

Now THAT is the truth

RoanokeFan
02-21-2012, 11:47 AM
I got it Roanoke

thanks again mate !!! [B]

Fantastic, hang it proudly [:P]

Tommy_Ribs
02-21-2012, 12:23 PM
Cruz will be taken care of, and will remain a GIANT.

By and Large, we take care of our guys, and when we give our word that we will take care of them, we do.

The GIANTS don't him going anywhere.

Cruz has a great head on his shoulders, and I am not worried about him at all.

We may not be able to take care of him this year, and we need to get Nicks locked in on his next deal too, but I think we will have him around for quite some time to come.

nygsb42champs
02-21-2012, 12:28 PM
I am sure that along the way the Giants will take care of Cruz.

Delicreep
02-21-2012, 12:34 PM

By and Large, we take care of our guys, and when we give our word that we will take care of them, we do.

We may not be able to take care of him this year, and we need to get Nicks locked in on his next deal too, but I think we will have him around for quite some time to come.
To that end, it would not shock me if he played under his contract for the coming year, but had a possibly hefty performance bonus added to it

SweetZombieJesus
02-21-2012, 12:47 PM
I think the Giants FO will take care of him before it gets to any of that.

BigBlue1971
02-21-2012, 01:08 PM
the timing is bad for Cruz in terms of alarger contract.</P>

the Giants have too many other contract problems to work besides Cruz is good for another year!</P>

he may get a raise this year but it wont be a priority. he will at some point get something hes comfortable with!</P>

</P>

<FONT color=#0000ff size=4>Go Giants!</FONT></P>

</P>

gumby742
02-21-2012, 01:17 PM
He certainly is. But unlike Steve Smith, who I didn't want to pay good money for, even when he was healthy, Cruz would be worth every penny. He is a playmaker - something that Smith was not.

myles2424
02-21-2012, 01:23 PM

how is that?

bansaw
02-21-2012, 01:34 PM

how is that?how is that?

well when training camp comes the player refuses to show up until a contract extension is reached

Pa_Gmen
02-21-2012, 01:54 PM

how is that?how is that?

well when training camp comes the player refuses to show up until a contract extension is reached

+1

RoanokeFan
02-21-2012, 01:58 PM

Well said!!

bklyn1028
02-21-2012, 02:00 PM

how is that?how is that?

+1

I think he has too much class to holdout. The FO wants to make sure this wasn't a fluke year. If he does in 2012 what he did in 2011, they'll definitely talk to him. But for now HE HAS A CONTRACT that he needs to honor. Yes, he played his heart out and out-performed many many expectations, but then again if the Giants didn't give him a shot, he wouldn't be where he is.

Maybe he should take that into consideration and take less money. How about them apples?

It absolutely bugs the crap outta me, when someone performs beyond, he wants more money. How about when someone underperforms, do we hear the FO gave them a decrease? These guys make a lot of money, and no one is saying he doesn't deserve it, but pay your dues like everyone else. I hope the jints keep him by the short hairs, then pay him. It's the right thing to do.

Anyway I do believe Cruz to be an honorable person.

bansaw
02-21-2012, 02:07 PM
anyone within the week of the season ending talking about more money is a prime candidate for a holdout imo

RoanokeFan
02-21-2012, 02:12 PM
anyone within the week of the season ending talking about more money is a prime candidate for a holdout imo

Maybe, but he also said he was gong to play footbaal and let his people handle that with the GIANTS. As with Osi, they have zero leverage and I suspect Cruz is smarter than Osi in that he won't publicly make demands that simply can't be met.

gmen46
02-21-2012, 02:16 PM

how is that?how is that?

Doesn't the $30,000 a day fine for holding out in training camp that was applied to Osi last August, apply to anyone else, including Cruz?

Doesn't Cruz' 2012 contract amount to about $450,000?

Wouldn't that mean that after only 2 weeks (plus 1 day) of holding out--which wouldn't even take him through all of training camp--Cruz, by contract, would OWE the GIANTS $30,000 each day he holds out thereafter?

Isn't this 2012, the first season after the 2011 ten year CBA, with new rules concerning player holdouts (among many, many other financial agreements), and not 1980?

Where, again, does Cruz have "holdout written all over him"?

bansaw
02-21-2012, 02:29 PM

Maybe, but he also said he was gong to play footbaal and let his people handle that with the GIANTS. As with Osi, they have zero leverage and I suspect Cruz is smarter than Osi in that he won't publicly make demands that simply can't be met.
we'll wait and see if he gets a new agent

from his agents - <font color="#000000" face="arial,helvetica,sans,helv" size="2">Huntington
and Toppin realize, with all the buzz around Cruz, competing agents
will start to take notice. "We have heard some rumblings of some people
coming out of the woodwork who now care about Victor and are trying to
get him the best deal he can get," Toppin said. Huntington stated, "We
have worked hard over the last few years and we would like to hope he is
loyal, but we know how this business works and time will tell."</font>

bansaw
02-21-2012, 02:34 PM

how is that?how is that?

Doesn't the $30,000 a day fine for holding out in training camp that was applied to Osi last August, apply to anyone else, including Cruz?

Wouldn't that mean that after only 2 weeks (plus 1 day) of holding out--which wouldn't even take him through all of training camp--Cruz, by contract, would OWE the GIANTS $30,000 each day he holds out thereafter?

Isn't this 2012, the first season after the 2011 ten year CBA, with new rules concerning player holdouts (among many, many other financial agreements), and not 1980?

Where, again, does Cruz have "holdout written all over him"?would you wager 490,000 in fines for 10-15 million in guaranteed money?

if MM leaves I'll bet you money he sits for a new contract

BlueSanta
02-21-2012, 02:43 PM

how is that?how is that?

Where, again, does Cruz have "holdout written all over him"?would you wager 490,000 in fines for 10-15 million in guaranteed money?

Thats not exactly how it works though, if it was the players would always hold all the cards when in fact they do not, especially if they are under contract.

Remember, if he holds out for too long(I think it is past the 2nd game of the year although not sure under new CBA) then the the team can file for breach of contract which means he then stays under contract for another year, on top of having to pay the fines accrued. There is a reason players always sit out until that point and no further, because the financial risk is massive.

I also think this is getting blown out of proportion.

DVision
02-21-2012, 02:46 PM

how is that?how is that?

Where, again, does Cruz have "holdout written all over him"?

Well said! Cruz does not hold the cards in this. Osi tried to force a deal while still under contract and how'd that go for him! Cruz came out talking about his contract in every media market possible and then someone obviously got into his ear. I recently heard him answer the contract question with "I really don't want to discuss it right now..."

Negotiating through the media only makes things worse! Cruz is under contract and has only had 1 breakout season! He needs to show he can do it consistently before he gets a big payday! Cruz's best bet is to continue to improve and force the Giants to workout a deal before he hits the market through his play, not his mouthpiece!

Holding out nowadays equates to having a temper tantrum and breaking your own things!

bansaw
02-21-2012, 02:57 PM
also the 30,000/day fine doesnt always have to be paid, only if the team demands it, they can waive part or all of the fines

Pa_Gmen
02-21-2012, 03:00 PM
I personally think that Cruz will be a little easier then most in this situation b/c hes going to be making big money elsewhere (endorsements).

bansaw
02-21-2012, 03:11 PM
I personally think that Cruz will be a little easier then most in this situation b/c hes going to be making big money elsewhere (endorsements).ya it took him one day after the Superbowl to sign with IMG for endorsements

<font color="#FF0000">but he won't care about his contract money</font>

burier
02-22-2012, 11:32 AM
The Giants know that if they screw Cruz is hurts the team.

If he holds out it hurts the team.

If he becomes disgruntled it hurts the team.

The players on the team know he should be paid. If the players believe one of their own is being mistreated it could cause a mutiny of sorts. Ie passionless play. Ie other player who may have stood pat start thinking "You're not going to do me like you did Cruz and start demanding more money. It could set off a domino effect.

The kid outplayed his contract by a large margin. Pay the man.

Harooni
02-22-2012, 10:10 PM
problem is he might hold out.

jomo
02-22-2012, 10:15 PM
It is interesting the language we use. He is "SCREWED"? Please. The guy just had the best year of any of our lives when it comes to professional lives. He was given a huge shot by the Giants. It was a perfect storm for him - great QB, Great team, opening on the roster and great talent. So I doubt that Vic Cruz sees it as being screwed. But if he is patient, keeps working hard, and stays healthy, Victor cruz will get a big contract eventually.Young Mr. Cruz is playing in the greatest city in the world for one of the great sports franchises in the world. He has a great quarterback, in his prime, throwing to him. His endorsement value is enormous with his base in the big Apple. We should all be so "screwed". [;)]

RoanokeFan
02-22-2012, 10:25 PM
The Giants know that if they screw Cruz is hurts the team.

If he holds out it hurts the team.

If he becomes disgruntled it hurts the team.

The players on the team know he should be paid. If the players believe one of their own is being mistreated it could cause a mutiny of sorts. Ie passionless play. Ie other player who may have stood pat start thinking "You're not going to do me like you did Cruz and start demanding more money. It could set off a domino effect.

The kid outplayed his contract by a large margin. Pay the man.

As with Osi last year, Cruz has NO leverage, contractually speaking. Unlike Osi, Cruz has said he intends on playing football and letting others handle the finances.

Saying "pay the man" doesn't take into account there are 23 current players entering free agency in 2012. They have to be dealt with in one way or another and other players need to be asked to restructure their contracts.

Cruz is an awesome talent and has proved his value to the team. If they can provide him with some incentive money, they will. I just don't see Cruz holding out or taking his case to the court of public opinion.

jomo
02-22-2012, 10:33 PM
The Giants know that if they screw Cruz is hurts the team. If he holds out it hurts the team. If he becomes disgruntled it hurts the team. The players on the team know he should be paid. If the players believe one of their own is being mistreated it could cause a mutiny of sorts. Ie passionless play. Ie other player who may have stood pat start thinking "You're not going to do me like you did Cruz and start demanding more money. It could set off a domino effect. The kid outplayed his contract by a large margin. Pay the man.

As with Osi last year, Cruz has NO leverage, contractually speaking. Unlike Osi, Cruz has said he intends on playing football and letting others handle the finances.

Saying "pay the man" doesn't take into account there are 23 current players entering free agency in 2012. They have to be dealt with in one way or another and other players need to be asked to restructure their contracts.

Cruz is an awesome talent and has proved his value to the team. If they can provide him with some incentive money, they will. I just don't see Cruz holding out or taking his case to the court of public opinion.
If Cruz needs a lesson on how quickly the fans can turn on you, he need look no further than #12 Steve Smith. I think that with real dough rollinghis wayduring the off season from endorsements, Cruz will understand which side his bread is buttered on and JR will maneuver through this one easily.

RoanokeFan
02-22-2012, 10:42 PM
The Giants know that if they screw Cruz is hurts the team. If he holds out it hurts the team. If he becomes disgruntled it hurts the team. The players on the team know he should be paid. If the players believe one of their own is being mistreated it could cause a mutiny of sorts. Ie passionless play. Ie other player who may have stood pat start thinking "You're not going to do me like you did Cruz and start demanding more money. It could set off a domino effect. The kid outplayed his contract by a large margin. Pay the man.

If Cruz needs a lesson on how quickly the fans can turn on you, he need look no further than #12 Steve Smith. I think that with real dough rollinghis wayduring the off season from endorsements, Cruz will understand which side his bread is buttered on and JR will maneuver through this one easily.

His girlfriend is pretty savvy in these matters and, hopefully, so is his agent, whoever that is. If thre were ever a situation where "patience is a virtue" fit, this would be it.

Harooni
02-22-2012, 10:47 PM
Fans should be behind him wanting a raise, its not like Osi being a cry baby. this kid is only due to make 400k , may seem like a lot on the surface but it isnt. after taxes ,agents and managers and so forth.

its a dangerous game and he set a record. pay the kid and lock him up.

RoanokeFan
02-22-2012, 10:51 PM
Fans should be behind him wanting a raise, its not like Osi being a cry baby. this kid is only due to make 400k , may seem like a lot on the surface but it isnt. after taxes ,agents and managers and so forth.

Not to put too fine as point on it but it's $490,000 this season [;)]

I'd love to see them find a way to extend both Cruz and Nicks, but it's just not that simple. Cruz has gone from "who?" to "WOW!" in a single season. If they can do something, they will, but I'd not be holding my breath.

Harooni
02-22-2012, 10:54 PM

I'd love to see them find a way to extend both Cruz and Nicks, but it's just not that simple. Cruz has gone from "who?" to "WOW!" in a single season. If they can do something, they will, but I'd not be holding my breath.

so we can overpay guys like rolle and canty and we cant give a deserving young latin stud his money???

Reese has to to make these cuts get rid of the aging high cap hit guys.

GmenFan1980
02-22-2012, 10:58 PM
Fans should be behind him wanting a raise, its not like Osi being a cry baby.* this kid is only due to make 400k , may seem like a lot on the surface but it isnt. after taxes ,agents and managers and so forth.

its a dangerous game and he set a record.** pay the kid and lock him up.

He played great this season and deserves to be paid, but not just because he broke a record. Using that logic Osi should have been paid for setting the record for most forced fumbles last year :/

RoanokeFan
02-22-2012, 11:00 PM

so we can overpay guys like rolle and canty and we cant give a deserving young latin stud his money???

As I've been learning in the last few days, it's rarely as simple as "let him go." I'm no authority on NFL contracts viz-a-viz the CAP, but depending on the terms of individual contracts, cutting player may make the CAP issue worse in the year the cut is made.

I KNOW you trust Reese, so let's give him some time to do what he can do.

GmenFan1980
02-22-2012, 11:00 PM
Fans should be behind him wanting a raise, its not like Osi being a cry baby.* this kid is only due to make 400k , may seem like a lot on the surface but it isnt. after taxes ,agents and managers and so forth.

its a dangerous game and he set a record.** pay the kid and lock him up.

Not to put too fine as point on it but it's $490,000 this season* [;)]

I'd love to see them find a way to extend both Cruz and Nicks, but it's just not that simple.* Cruz has gone from "who?" to "WOW!" in a single season.* If they can do something, they will, but I'd not be holding my breath.

What does being latin have to do with deserving a pay raise hmmm http://boards.giants.com/emoticons/emotion-40.gif lol

Harooni
02-22-2012, 11:01 PM

He played great this season and deserves to be paid, but not just because he broke a record. Using that logic Osi should have been paid for setting the record for most forced fumbles last year :/no not just because he broke a record it also i9s considering his age and pay now

RoanokeFan
02-22-2012, 11:04 PM

What does being latin have to do with deserving a pay raise hmmm http://boards.giants.com/emoticons/emotion-40.gif lol

You have to know Harooni lol

Harooni
02-22-2012, 11:14 PM

As I've been learning in the last few days, it's rarely as simple as "let him go." I'm no authority on NFL contracts viz-a-viz the CAP, but depending on the terms of individual contracts, cutting player may make the CAP issue worse in the year the cut is made.

I KNOW you trust Reese, so let's give him some time to do what he can do.

there will be cap penalties for sure. basically the bonus money that got spread out through the years of the contract get accelerated.

but you do it now fresh off a sb win and then we are sitting pretty 2013 and beyond with loads of $$$ and room to work with.