PDA

View Full Version : America's Game: The Missing Rings...

Cool Papa B.
02-21-2012, 12:26 PM
Anyone elso like this show?One of my favorite sports shows. It's on the NFL Network, but you can watch the episodes on youtube alos. I love the analysis and stories from the players & coaches of teams who were good enough to win it all, but fell short. They haven't done any new episodes in sometime now.

I would love to see:

1967 LA Rams-Finished 11-1-2 and had beaten Green Bay & Dallas that year(both teams played in the NFL Championship that year). but wound up losing in the 2nd round and not going to Super Bowl II.

1980 Eagles. Finished 12-4 and were favored to win Super Bowl XV, but lost to the Raiders.

1987 Browns. Won the AFC Central for the 2nd straight year. Poor Earnest Byner. If the Brown had gotten past the Broncos like they should have I think they would have had a great shot vs. the Redskins in the Super Bowl

1991 Detroit Lions. That team was all heart! Finished 12-4 that year Won their division, but lost to the Redskins in the NFC Championship. They would have beaten Buffalo in the Super Bowl IMO.

2005 Seahawks. Finished the year 13-3 and won the NFC rather easily. But lost to the Steelers in Super Bowl XL thanks to a lot of shotty officiating.

Which other teams would you like to see?

BluTri10
02-21-2012, 12:53 PM
1990 Eagles -- Dominating defense...One of the best defensive teams I have ever seen. Jerome Brown, Reggie White, Clyde Simmons, Seth Joyner, Byron Evans, Wes Hopkins, Andre Waters, Eric Allen...what a team

Bohemian
02-21-2012, 01:16 PM
The 2002 Rams come to mind. They were a sure bet in my mind that day.
The 2000 Titans were 1 yard away, so I have to put then in the list.
the 2009 Minnesota Vikings, and Favre's hilarious interception... :)
the 2003 Indianapolis Colts, Eli's big brother shocking after having a crazy-amazing regular season.
the 1987 Cleveland Browns, and the fumble heard around the world.
the 1986 Cleveland Browns, running into Elway's late game magic.
the 1983 San Francisco 49ers, as that lost set up one of the greatest dynasties ever.
the 1982 Dallas Cowboys, for it being the swansong to a great era for that franchise.
the 1974 L.A. Rams, not being able to deal with the Viking defense.
the 1968 Oakland Raiders, for setting up one of the Namath Super Bowl with their loss.
the 1967 Dallas Cowboys, for loosing the ice-bowl.

BluTri10
02-21-2012, 01:37 PM
They generally make an episode for one team...for one year...unless heartbreak occurred years apart ('69 Vikings, '98 Vikings).

Give me an episode of the following:

* Browns team from the late 80s
* Eagles team from early 90s (Cunningham era)
* Eagles team from 00s (McNabb era)
* San Diego Chargers from 00s
* Vikings from 2009
* Ravens from 2011
* Patriots from 2011

Cool Papa B.
02-21-2012, 01:42 PM
The show is about franchise's who have never won a super bowl in their history, but have had really good team that came close, but fell short. So unfortunately teams like the Raiders, Cowboys, Colts, Patriots and Ravens would be out.

BluTri10
02-21-2012, 10:21 PM
I'm under the assumption that the 'Missing Rings' show was devoted to teams (not franchises) who were great but did not win a Super Bowl.

GMen869007
02-22-2012, 12:08 AM
The 2007 Patriots should be in there regardless of whether it's about specific teams not winning, or a franchise

NYGRealityCheck
02-25-2012, 01:49 PM
The 2008 Giants. If Plax didn't shoot himself and took a big chunk of the passing game away from the team, the team might have repeated with only 1 loss before the incident late in the season and having beaten both Superbowl contenders at their home stadiums.

Theansweris42
02-25-2012, 02:11 PM
1980 Cleveland Browns - Best team that year. Cardiac Kids
2002 Giants - Trey! We were the hottest team that Year. Tampa was really good tho

GMen869007
02-25-2012, 04:41 PM
The 2008 Giants. If Plax didn't shoot himself and took a big chunk of the passing game away from the team, the team might have repeated with only 1 loss before the incident late in the season and having beaten both Superbowl contenders at their home stadiums.

I think they still might've lost to Philly and Dallas because Plax was going to be out for a bit with a hamstring injury, but he would've been back for the playoffs.

gmen46
02-25-2012, 05:05 PM
I'm under the assumption that the 'Missing Rings' show was devoted to teams (not franchises) who were great but did not win a Super Bowl.

No, Cool Papa is correct.

Featured are specific teams, true, but they are teams from franchises who have never won a SB.

There were only 5 episodes produced, originally aired Fall of 2008.

The Vikings had the dubious and heartbreaking honor of having 2 (of the 5) episodes, featuring the 69 Vikings, and the 98.

The others were 88 Bengals, 90 Bills (hee hee). 81 Chargers.

All 5 teams were very, very good teams (dominating their respective conferences that given year), from franchises who have never, ever, won a SB.

Great concept, and well produced, as most NFL Films projects are.

I suppose they COULD produce 1 or 2 more. Browns, Eagles, Seahawks, and Titans could be candidates perhaps.

But, really, only the Browns of 86 or 87, and arguably the 99 Titans would come even close to the quality level of "greatness" of any of the 5 teams who are depicted in the series.

After all, who with a straight face could claim the Eagles, or the Seahawks have EVER had a team that was "GREAT" but has no Ring??

Likewise, Lions, Jags, Panthers, Falcons, Texans, Cardinals continue with no Ring. But have they ever had a "great" team, even once? I think not.

firstgamein49
02-25-2012, 06:24 PM
I've been a Gmen fan since (realistically) 1951. I loved the Giant's run from '56-'63. But I DO believe that the Bills' run when they won 4 Championships in a row has to be one of the great tasks of all time. Wasn't done before, hasn't been done since. It took what 3? maybe 4 NFC teams to beat them. The only team that comes close is the Gmen from '58-'63. They won 5 championships in 6 yrs, and it took the Colts, the Pack, and the Bears to stop them from a World Championship!

DEgiants89
03-05-2012, 05:19 PM
2007 pats would be epic but also 2012 pats. Idk any other teams I would really want to see.

Cool Papa B.
03-13-2012, 08:04 AM

Featured are specific teams, true, but they are teams from franchises who have never won a SB.

The Vikings had the dubious and heartbreaking honor of having 2 (of the 5) episodes, featuring the 69 Vikings, and the 98.

All 5 teams were very, very good teams (dominating their respective conferences that given year), from franchises who have never, ever, won a SB.

I suppose they COULD produce 1 or 2 more. Browns, Eagles, Seahawks, and Titans could be candidates perhaps.

But, really, only the Browns of 86 or 87, and arguably the 99 Titans would come even close to the quality level of "greatness" of any of the 5 teams who are depicted in the series.

After all, who with a straight face could claim the Eagles, or the Seahawks have EVER had a team that was "GREAT" but has no Ring??

Likewise, Lions, Jags, Panthers, Falcons, Texans, Cardinals continue with no Ring. But have they ever had a "great" team, even once? I think not.

The 2005 Seahawks ran right through the NFC in 2005. They were on their way to greatness, but the officials in the Super Bowl had a thing or two....or three or four to say about it. A year later the referee actually apologized about the officiating and said he had a lot of sleepless night because of that game.

And the other teams I mentioned in my first post had a shot at greatness, but just didn't happen.

gmen46
03-13-2012, 04:54 PM

The 2005 Seahawks ran right through the NFC in 2005. They were on their way to greatness, but the officials in the Super Bowl had a thing or two....or three or four to say about it. A year later the referee actually apologized about the officiating and said he had a lot of sleepless night because of that game.

And the other teams I mentioned in my first post had a shot at greatness, but just didn't happen.

I can agree with your comments about the officiating of their SB game, but not at all with your claim they had a "great" team that year.

The 2005 Seahawks were basically at the same level as the 2005 Giants. Good, but certainly not great.

Hell, the only difference between us and Seattle that year were 3 consecutive missed FGs by our kicker end of 4th qtr and OT. Had we won that game--I mean THREE straight missed FGs?--the Giants would have had the #1 seed (with 12-4 record) and the Seahawks (would have had 11-5 record) would have played Carolina in the first round.

Who knows how that post season would have then played out? Point is, Seattle was not really a "great" team that has never won a ring. Certainly not like the 5 teams in the NFL Films series.