PDA

View Full Version : Can't think of a reason Plex wouldn't be a Giant next season

giantsfan420
02-21-2012, 11:44 PM
i actually hate to admit this, but I'm thinking Plex could very well be a Giant next season. Here are the points that lead me to this...

Reese offered him a higher pay than the Jets did, it just wasn't guaranteed

Plex will assuredly be cheaper than MM

Plex was MONEY with Eli.

Plex wouldn't be heavily leaned on like in the past, which could actually make him a dangerous weapon

Plex provides a possession WR with physical measures that make him a mismatch, especially out of the slot.

He can play the slot, as well as out wide

He'd expand what our WR corp can do

Did I mention Eli2Plex KILLED it for years.

If it was up to me, I'd just re-sign MM or get SS12, but the more I think about it, Plex would be the cheapest, "quick"fix WR who could play day 1 and be a dangerous red zone target, plus, if a coach goes "STAY ON NICKS AND CRUZ, MAKE PLEX BEAT US" Eli 2 Plex would beat any team 1v1 coverage.

I dunno, I'd hate to put our success on him being responsible, but seeing as how reese offered him a contract last season, I cannot see how he wouldn't this season...it just kind of all adds up...then u factor in he wants to go to philly, we may just go after him...

GmenFan1980
02-21-2012, 11:49 PM
Sure why not, he is a better red zone threat then any other receiver at #3 we have if Manningham leaves lol

Matt C
02-21-2012, 11:49 PM
All this talk about Smith, and Plax comming back reminds me of the movie the Blues Brothers!

We're getting the band back together!

might as well give boss a call too :)

GameTime
02-21-2012, 11:50 PM
....not needed and not wanted.</P>

I would bet money that neither does the ownership, TC, and Eli. Don't care what he was offered last season. They knew he wouldn't take it IMO</P>

jax5338
02-21-2012, 11:53 PM
disagree. i feel like eli is much better off with the guys he has now. id rather take back steve smith than plax. would love rio back but that;s highly unlikely.

i dont think eli to plax was "money" as you said. eli has been much more money in his career with nicks, cruz, smith, and rio and not divas like plax and shockey.

and a pet peeve: PLAX not PLEX!

giantsfan420
02-21-2012, 11:53 PM

I would bet money that neither does the ownership, TC, and Eli. Don't care what he was offered last season. They knew he wouldn't take it IMO</P>

reese just doesn't strike me as that kind of guy. i dont think he'd just posture a contract offer, especially one that was essentially worth more than the one he signed for.

i dont want him, but if MM leaves, we may need him. trust me, i'd rather virtually any other option...

but i cant think of a legitimate reason as to why plex couldnt be a giant next season...

giantsfan420
02-21-2012, 11:55 PM
disagree. i feel like eli is much better off with the guys he has now. id rather take back steve smith than plax. would love rio back but that;s highly unlikely.

*i dont think eli to plax was "money" as you said. eli has been much more money in his carrer with nicks. cruz. smith, and rio and not divas like plax and shockey.

sorry, PLAX was killer with Eli. I remember from like 2005-2008 the eli to plax combo had the most td's out of any qb to wr combo in the NFL...eli 2 plax was DOMINANT, eli of course has become a better qb...but imagine eli today playing with plax...i dunno...i think it could be phenomenal

Giants10Joe
02-21-2012, 11:55 PM
There's a lot of talk of bringing back old Giants: Plax, Smith, even Shockey. I can't see any of them coming back. None of those 3 made any sort of significant contribution to their teams in 2011. Plax and Shockey are old and are locker room problems. Smith has been injured; some team will offer him a one year deal but I doubt it will be the Giants.

slipknottin
02-21-2012, 11:56 PM
I could see it, I could see both Smith and Plax coming back, both on one year deals.

GameTime
02-21-2012, 11:58 PM

reese just doesn't strike me as that kind of guy. i dont think he'd just posture a contract offer, especially one that was essentially worth more than the one he signed for. i dont want him, but if MM leaves, we may need him. trust me, i'd rather virtually any other option... but i cant think of a legitimate reason as to why plex couldnt be a giant next season...</P>

"you" cant think of a legit reason butI bet the certain people in the Giants org can. </P>

giantsfan420
02-21-2012, 11:59 PM

reese just doesn't strike me as that kind of guy. i dont think he'd just posture a contract offer, especially one that was essentially worth more than the one he signed for. i dont want him, but if MM leaves, we may need him. trust me, i'd rather virtually any other option... but i cant think of a legitimate reason as to why plex couldnt be a giant next season...</P>

"you" cant think of a legit reason but*I bet the certain people in the Giants org can. </P>

thats why i made this thread, if some one can make a valid point im all ears

and i can make that argument back to u, i guarantee theirs people in the org. that do want him

GameTime
02-22-2012, 12:04 AM

"you" cant think of a legit reason butI bet the certain people in the Giants org can. </P>

thats why i made this thread, if some one can make a valid point im all ears and i can make that argument back to u, i guarantee theirs people in the org. that do want him</P>

obviously I cant argue with thatthe stats because the he and Eli did have a good thing going for sure. </P>

Its just a gut feeling I have to think he is just not wanted by the people who make the descisions. My gut feelings are not the "valid" arguement you are looking for. Would much rather see restructing and other creative money handling and keep MM....</P>

GmenFan1980
02-22-2012, 12:07 AM
Actually never mind, I remember Plaxico said he doesn't like Coughlin style of how he is not a players coach, so I doubt he changed his tune :/

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/jets/2011/09/plaxico-burress-rips-tom-coughlin-eli-manning-and-giants-fans-in-magazine-article

and to giantsfan420....no this isn't much of a valid point i guess lol

giantsfan420
02-22-2012, 12:12 AM

"you" cant think of a legit reason but*I bet the certain people in the Giants org can. </P>

thats why i made this thread, if some one can make a valid point im all ears and i can make that argument back to u, i guarantee theirs people in the org. that do want him</P>

*obviously I cant argue with that*the stats because the he and Eli did have a good thing going for sure. </P>

Its just a gut feeling I have to think he is just not wanted by the people who make the descisions. My gut feelings are not the "valid" arguement you are looking for. Would much rather see restructing and other creative money handling and keep MM....</P>

oh def. agree. i'd rather MM or basically any viable option besides the wallace idea. thats the only other idea to fill our 3rd wr i dislike more than the idea of getting plax back...its just as a #3 wr he could be a 1, or 2 or slot, knows the system and route tree, is DEADLY off the line which means he'd be deadly from the slot, and would be a legitimate redzone threat.

i get ur gut feeling and i shared the same sentiment, but i know reese and co. will do whatever puts the giants in best chance to win. signing plax would not only be excellent for our cap, but would also be excellent for the offense imho as much as i hate to admit it. i've never forgiven him for the 08 incident dont think i ever will but if he re-signs, he can go a long way to erasing that memory by being a solid teammate and responsible person, something the jets org. claim he was

VelocityVirus
02-22-2012, 01:05 AM

i dont think eli to plax was "money" as you said. eli has been much more money in his carrer with nicks. cruz. smith, and rio and not divas like plax and shockey.

sorry, PLAX was killer with Eli. I remember from like 2005-2008 the eli to plax combo had the most td's out of any qb to wr combo in the NFL...eli 2 plax was DOMINANT, eli of course has become a better qb...but imagine eli today playing with plax...i dunno...i think it could be phenomenal

They were killer.

But this is 2012. A lot changes in a matter of 4-5 years.....especially in the NFL. Eli doesn't need Plax, nor do I think wants him. Eli can make someone else a viable #3, just like he has made no named receivers threats in years past.

TrueBlue10
02-22-2012, 01:32 AM
Plax? Thanks but no thanks.

Next question....

Harooni
02-22-2012, 01:33 AM
I can think of one big reason- coughlin

giantsfan420
02-22-2012, 01:38 AM

i'd normally agree but then i remember coughlin and plax had that meeting, then after the meeting reese offered plax a contract worth more than the jets offered and for longer amount of time...

coughlin is a tough guy, but he's also selfless. he doesnt strike me as the kinda guy who'd let a personal feeling get in the way of the giants succeeding ya know?

Harooni
02-22-2012, 01:46 AM
I believe TC met with plax as a favor to reese. I ALSO THINK AFTER BEING FINED OVER 50 TIMES PLAX DIDN'T WANT TO WORK FOR TC AGAIN.

oops caps got hit by mistake.

greenca190
02-22-2012, 01:54 AM
I can think of a reason:

Plax has his super bowl ring. He was out of work and losing money for over two years. He wants his money. We wont give him the guaranteed money he wants. Some other team will.

Already accomplishing the greatest feat in your profession versus accumulating enough money to be able to live comfortably from the age 35 until you're dead?

What would you do? If you could retired at the age of 36, and do whatever you wanted to do comfortably, would you? Haha.

giantsfan420
02-22-2012, 02:34 AM
I can think of a reason:

Plax has his super bowl ring. He was out of work and losing money for over two years. He wants his money. We wont give him the guaranteed money he wants. Some other team will.

Already accomplishing the greatest feat in your profession versus accumulating enough money to be able to live comfortably from the age 35 until you're dead?

What would you do? If you could retired at the age of 36, and do whatever you wanted to do comfortably, would you? Haha.

we offered him more money than the jets and as far as i know, more than any other team...

foosball
02-22-2012, 02:36 AM
For one it's PLAX....

I do not think he will be back, he had a real problem coming to meetings, he wasn't a good locker room guy. He was quiet so he never made waves, but he broke a lot of rules and paid a lot of fines. His problems with Coughlin had a lot to do with the fact that he could never seem to grow up. He also has a history of quiting on routes. All of that will be working against him. That and some team will probably throw him more then a million a year. I think Barden finally gets his shot this year.

foosball
02-22-2012, 02:38 AM
I can think of a reason:

we offered him more money than the jets and as far as i know, more than any other team...

Your facts are not correct. The Giants offered him an incentive based deal worth in the neighborhood of a million a year. With performance he might of hit 3. The Jets offered him a lot more than that which is why he signed with them.

Toadofsteel
02-22-2012, 02:45 AM
Stay in house. If we can't work a deal with MM, jernigan, barden, thomas, and hixon all have a shot at #3.

foosball
02-22-2012, 02:46 AM
Actually never mind, I remember Plaxico said he doesn't like Coughlin style of how he is not a players coach, so I doubt he changed his tune :/

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/jets/2011/09/plaxico-burress-rips-tom-coughlin-eli-manning-and-giants-fans-in-magazine-article

and to giantsfan420....no this isn't much of a valid point i guess lol

Thx for posting that, I hadn't read a version of that interview that included the line about Eli not having thick skin. Plax sure is a moron. Eli's skin is thicker than he can imagine. Plax is one of the most mentally weak players I have ever seen play the game of football. He quit on routes with the Steelers, quit on routes with the Giants, came nowhere close to realizing his immense potential and had the nerve to run his mouth about coaches and players who have outperformed him in every way imaginable. Yeah we should bring him back lol. /sarcasm. /thread.

bansaw
02-22-2012, 02:48 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmr0sP8QOgU

OsiStrahan#1combo
02-22-2012, 02:51 AM
I don't think we will see either ss12 Or Plax coming back next season. Even if MM leaves. Doesn't seem like reese style. I can see him saying "we have plenty of talent at the WR corps".. I can see him thinking Jerigan or someone taking over the #3 slot. I don't want to see that but realistically that MIGHT just happen.

gmen46
02-22-2012, 03:56 AM

reese just doesn't strike me as that kind of guy. i dont think he'd just posture a contract offer, especially one that was essentially worth more than the one he signed for.

i dont want him, but if MM leaves, we may need him. trust me, i'd rather virtually any other option...

but i cant think of a legitimate reason as to why plex couldnt be a giant next season...

I understand the inclination to consider this. But, in addition to the couple of "legitimate reasons" against it happening that I've seen in response, the fact is that Plax gave us some of the best years of his career--5-7 years ago.

His age (35 next Aug, I believe) and natural declination of skills are a DEFINITE consideration, and cannot be overstated at this point.

He came to the Giants--in the PRIME of his career, when young Eli was about to enter his first season as a full time starter, and when all the understandable thinking was that he needed a receiver who could help him succeed, a legitimate play maker.

And that worked, for the most part, which explained the organization's willingness to put up with his nonsense concerning missing meetings, practices, and habitual tardiness to both.

But at that time Eli needed a player like him.

Now, receivers need ELI to succeed, not the reverse.

And Plax's last really good year was 2007 (not 2008, even before the gun event), so you're looking at a Plax of 5 years ago, not of today.

Plus, the Giants are not one of those teams (few are, but they exist) that likes to go "back to the future" with a player. They just never have been.

Once a Giant, Always a Giant, yes. But also Once an Ex Giant, always an Ex Giant, as well.

In short, I think the Beatles--dead ones included--have a better chance of a Reunion Tour than Plax has of returning to the Giants.

rainierjef
02-22-2012, 05:21 AM
does anyone know what mario manningham is asking for money wise??? anyone?

Flip Empty
02-22-2012, 06:28 AM
It's not what he's asking for, it's what teams are willing to offer him. Free Agency opens next month, so you'll have to wait til then.

cken
02-22-2012, 07:29 AM
I believe TC met with plax as a favor to reese. I ALSO THINK AFTER BEING FINED OVER 50 TIMES PLAX DIDN'T WANT TO WORK FOR TC AGAIN.

oops caps got hit by mistake.

Harooni.. you stole my sig.. wth??

OX1
02-22-2012, 09:29 AM
</P>

I can think of one better reason. Plax. </P>

We won this year because they were a team first. </P>

At best, I can see Plax not fitting in. </P>

At worst, I can see a huge disruption. </P>

</P>

nhpgiantsfan
02-22-2012, 10:38 AM
I don't think they would bring him back, but one thing that intrigues me, would be Plax's ability to catch the corner endzone fade that Gillbride seems to call every time we are in the redzone. If he is going to call it anyway, maybe it wouldnt be so bad to bring a guy in here for cheap that is great at that play. He hasn't stopped calling that play since Plax left, but we haven't had much success with it.

Moss#83
02-22-2012, 10:40 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmr0sP8QOgU

Your links are becoming outdated and they lack substance. Please come up with new material and then I will subscribe to your posts.

Giants Of New Jersey
02-22-2012, 10:41 AM
does anyone know what mario manningham is asking for money wise??? anyone?

i dont think he is "asking" for anything at this point...when teams start to contact him im sure he will just field offers and see what most teams think he is worth, and go from there. What hurts our chances is that he is only 25. A team might see how young he is and throw a nice, long contract at him that he can't pass up.

MattMeyerBud
02-22-2012, 11:09 AM
i actually hate to admit this, but I'm thinking Plex could very well be a Giant next season. Here are the points that lead me to this...

Plex was MONEY with Eli.

Plex wouldn't be heavily leaned on like in the past, which could actually make him a dangerous weapon

Plex provides a possession WR with physical measures that make him a mismatch, especially out of the slot.

If it was up to me, I'd just re-sign MM or get SS12, but the more I think about it, Plex would be the cheapest, "quick"fix WR who could play day 1 and be a dangerous red zone target, plus, if a coach goes "STAY ON NICKS AND CRUZ, MAKE PLEX BEAT US" Eli 2 Plex would beat any team 1v1 coverage.

I dunno, I'd hate to put our success on him being responsible, but seeing as how reese offered him a contract last season, I cannot see how he wouldn't this season...it just kind of all adds up...then u factor in he wants to go to philly, we may just go after him...

Money and Steve Smith

buffyblue
02-22-2012, 11:40 AM
If we lose MM which we very well may, then Plexiglass is a great option. I would definetly rather have him than SS back. Overall I would rather just keep MM.

I think being a part of NY Jets did wonders for Plexiglass because he was at 2 solid organizations, Pittsburgh Steelers and NY Giants his entire career and then he had to see what it is like in a garbage organization with no cohesion. It is obvious he understands now that he wants to be on a real team.

Plexiglass will wind up somewhere and fill a role nicely. The guy was never a burner so losing a touch of speed isnít an issue and judging from last year, he still has great hands and is quite physical. He would fit in nicely if and only if we donít resign MM.

tdawg1413
02-22-2012, 11:52 AM
No thanks. Would rather see what we have with Barden and Jernigan than go back to Plax and Smith.

02-22-2012, 11:55 AM
Can I have what you're smoking? Never happen; this guy is a danger to the whole "All in" success of this past year.

FIFTY6G-MAN
02-22-2012, 01:31 PM
i actually hate to admit this, but I'm thinking Plex could very well be a Giant next season. Here are the points that lead me to this... Reese offered him a higher pay than the Jets did, it just wasn't guaranteed Plex will assuredly be cheaper than MM Plex was MONEY with Eli. Plex wouldn't be heavily leaned on like in the past, which could actually make him a dangerous weapon Plex provides a possession WR with physical measures that make him a mismatch, especially out of the slot. He can play the slot, as well as out wide He'd expand what our WR corp can do Did I mention Eli2Plex KILLED it for years. If it was up to me, I'd just re-sign MM or get SS12, but the more I think about it, Plex would be the cheapest, "quick"fix WR who could play day 1 and be a dangerous red zone target, plus, if a coach goes "STAY ON NICKS AND CRUZ, MAKE PLEX BEAT US" Eli 2 Plex would beat any team 1v1 coverage. I dunno, I'd hate to put our success on him being responsible, but seeing as how reese offered him a contract last season, I cannot see how he wouldn't this season...it just kind of all adds up...then u factor in he wants to go to philly, we may just go after him...Who is this "PLEX" that you speak of?? J/K

SweetZombieJesus
02-22-2012, 01:40 PM
I can think of a reason -- he was declining in 2008 and he didn't set the world on fire with the Jets last year. And he's old and tired.

Stop looking backwards.

RoanokeFan
02-22-2012, 01:45 PM

Plex was MONEY with Eli.

Please, it's PLAX-ico. He doesn't want to be here. He wants to now be in Philadelphia. He was, and may still be, a diva who wanted to come and go as he pleased. He didn't blaze any trails last year with the jets and doesn't like or want to work for Tom Coughlin.

Do you think John Mara and Jerry Reese want to force Plaxico down Coughlin's throat? What we don't need after winning the Super Bowl is locker room drama caused by a malcontent. He's gone and elsewhere and all parties are better off.

Tommy_Ribs
02-22-2012, 02:01 PM
After what Plaxico said about Coach Coughlin, I can't see Plaxico coming back here.

RoanokeFan
02-22-2012, 02:06 PM
After what Plaxico said about Coach Coughlin, I can't see Plaxico coming back here.

[Y]

Diamondring
02-22-2012, 04:56 PM
I can think of a reason -- he was declining in 2008 and he didn't set the world on fire with the Jets last year.* And he's old and tired.

Stop looking backwards.
This right here

Diamondring
02-22-2012, 04:58 PM

Plex was MONEY with Eli.

I dunno, I'd hate to put our success on him being responsible, but seeing as how reese offered him a contract last season, I cannot see how he wouldn't this season...it just kind of all adds up...then u factor in he wants to go to philly, we may just go after him...I'm disapointed in you for making this. You are a better poster than that to know that Plax is old in football years man.

NYG216
02-22-2012, 05:06 PM
He destroyed the Giants chances at a repeat last time... no thanks.

bandwgn86
02-22-2012, 05:10 PM

I would bet money that neither does the ownership, TC, and<FONT size=4> Eli</FONT>. Don't care what he was offered last season. They knew he wouldn't take it IMO</P>esp the bolded name.. this is his team now

DemandedAce
02-22-2012, 05:22 PM

Plex was MONEY with Eli.

Who the heck is this "Plex" guy you keep talking about?

lawl
02-22-2012, 08:42 PM
Because he's old and not that good any more. We've invested two 3rd round picks into WRs. Trust your investments and let the kids fight for that playing time.

egyptian420
02-22-2012, 08:48 PM
Because he's old and not that good any more. We've invested two 3rd round picks into WRs. Trust your investments and let the kids fight for that playing time.
+1..I'm done with Plax and Smith....I'd rather Devin Thomas/Barden/ Jernigan battle it out for that #3 spot. If we get a good TE in the draft we'll be Set.

NYGRealityCheck
02-22-2012, 08:50 PM
+1..I'm done with Plax and Smith....I'd rather Devin Thomas/Barden/ Jernigan battle it out for that #3 spot. If we get a good TE in the draft we'll be Set.

Devin Thomas needs to be re-sgined first. I'm fine with the idea of Barden vs. Jernigan for the 3rd WR spot as well.

bandwgn86
02-22-2012, 08:53 PM
</P>

</P>

me too.. as much as i like SS, i love Cruz.. so no go.. how about a Robert Meachum.. wonder if he'd come at a discount.. he'd make a fantastic replacement for Mario Ochodos</P>

egyptian420
02-22-2012, 08:57 PM
</p>

</p>

me too.. as much as i like SS, i love Cruz.. so no go.. how about a Robert Meachum.. wonder if he'd come at a discount.. he'd make a fantastic replacement for Mario Ochodos</p>
That would be pretty nice but he'd have to come pretty cheap like you said. As far as FA goes, I'm thinking about who we might lose as opposed to who we might get lol....our cap situation is not pretty

Gmen2005
02-22-2012, 09:52 PM
I don't want anything to do with Burress.

JMFP2
02-22-2012, 09:56 PM
</P>

</P>

As far as I'm concerned, that's the only reason needed why he shouldn't come back.</P>

This team right now is on the edge of becoming a dynasty..... the last thing I want is to bring back a guy who challenged Coughlin's philosophy on a daily basis with his petty antics.</P>

I'm pretty sure Eli Manning has no use for the guy anymore either. </P>

Plax belongs in the Jets Zoo.</P>

Voldamort
02-22-2012, 10:03 PM
I could see it, I could see both Smith and Plax coming back, both on one year deals. not in the cards!

JJC7301
02-23-2012, 12:29 AM
When MM is gone, I'd give Plax and SS another chance. I'm excited to see what Jurnigan can do as well.