Warchild
02-22-2012, 01:13 PM
That would make him the 4th highest paid DT in the league

MattMeyerBud
02-22-2012, 01:16 PM
okay.. and?

barran21
02-22-2012, 01:40 PM
Trade him away for a draft pick and give that money to OSI...

MattMeyerBud
02-22-2012, 01:42 PM

na i'm good... i'd rather keep an every down player who is constantly healthy and can play both sides of the ball

we can draft pass rushers....

Delicreep
02-22-2012, 01:45 PM

I feel like we overpay for him, but unless there is a renegotiation, it will probably be a check the FO will write every week and not think too much about.

I way overpay for my building insurance, but I write that check every year.

Kase-1
02-22-2012, 01:53 PM
That would make him the 4th highest paid DT in the leagueAnd he's arguably the 4th best DT in the league

gumby742
02-22-2012, 02:14 PM
The fact that Rolle is going to make 9 million bugs me a lot more.

MikeSherrard
02-22-2012, 10:58 PM
I like Canty but he's overpaid

myles2424
02-22-2012, 11:01 PM
That would make him the 4th highest paid DT in the leagueAnd he's arguably the 4th best DT in the league
explain.....

Harooni
02-22-2012, 11:41 PM
headline will soon read Canty cut in move to get under the cap.

Eli TO Shockey
02-23-2012, 03:06 AM

Rediculous claim

appodictic
02-23-2012, 09:27 AM
He is an interesting player fits good in our system. With his height 6'6 he can bat down a lot of balls which he did. Maybe no worth all that much but maybe renegotiate.

GameTime
02-23-2012, 09:29 AM
he is one of several players that will probably renegotiate their deals.....or at least thats what I think.</P>

Rolle falls under that catagory too IMO...</P>

NYSPORTS
02-23-2012, 09:37 AM
Amazing how $6 million in baseball is borderline chump change while it's a fortune in the NFL.

GameTime
02-23-2012, 09:42 AM
Amazing how $6 million in baseball is borderline chump change while it's a fortune in the NFL.</P>

Just talking about that yesterday. How many players in BB are make between 15 and 20 mil per year?? I dont have the inclionation to look it up but its a pretty good number I bet. </P>

The Yanks paid AJ Burnett 70 milfor basically one good season and a bunch of other decent performances. And Cashman is considered a very good GM. I am not saying he is not but perspective is what its all about. </P>

Kase-1
02-29-2012, 11:50 AM

Rediculous claimOK maybe 4th best was a little big of a claim, but lets name who's better....

Suh
Ngata
Justin Smith

Then there are guys who are on the same level as him like Mike Patterson, Darnell Dockett, Sedrick Ellis, and Jon Babineaux

All opinion though...

FlyingTruck
02-29-2012, 12:04 PM

Rediculous claimOK maybe 4th best was a little big of a claim, but lets name who's better....

Suh
Ngata
Justin Smith

Then there are guys who are on the same level as him like Mike Patterson, Darnell Dockett, Sedrick Ellis, and Jon Babineaux

All opinion though...
In my opinion you also have to look at the type of defense they play in. Canty makes a pretty good 4-3 DT in my opinion. Not sure about 4th best, but he's up there.

Giants Of New Jersey
02-29-2012, 12:24 PM

Suh
Ngata
Justin Smith

All opinion though...

justin smith is a DE

Flip Empty
02-29-2012, 12:29 PM
Yeah, most of the above play in a 3-4.
Canty's good but there are plenty of guys better than him. Kevin Williams, Haynesworth (when he's not rolling around on the turf), Mebane, Kyle Williams... Sedrick Ellis is better than him, as is Babineaux. Dockett is another DE.

Giants Of New Jersey
02-29-2012, 12:32 PM

Suh
Ngata
Justin Smith

All opinion though...

DT'S who are better : Ngata, Suh, Wilfork (how wasn't he mentioned), Dockett, Raji, Kevin Williams

People may argue Ratliff over Canty. Also, Kyle Williams, but I would rather Canty over Kyle Williams. Seymour is getting older fast. Canty is not on the same level as Mike Patterson, Canty is better. Sedrick Ellis is good and Canty is better than Babineaux, IMO.

Giants Of New Jersey
02-29-2012, 12:32 PM
Yeah, the above all play in a 3-4; Ngata is a nose tackle.
Canty's good but there are plenty of guys better than him. Kevin Williams, Haynesworth (when he's not rolling around on the turf), Mebane, Kyle Williams...

lol do us all a favor and don't ever mention Haynesworth in anything NFL related, what a terrible waste, lmao.

RoanokeFan
02-29-2012, 12:34 PM

He's been a great interior lineman for us. He's worth the money. I understand there is CAP space trouble, but that doesn't mean that every player who's getting a damn good salary doesn't deserve it. They may approach him to restructure but I'd hate to see them open the door for his exit.

Flip Empty
02-29-2012, 12:36 PM
Yeah, the above all play in a 3-4; Ngata is a nose tackle.
Canty's good but there are plenty of guys better than him. Kevin Williams, Haynesworth (when he's not rolling around on the turf), Mebane, Kyle Williams...

lol do us all a favor and don't ever mention Haynesworth in anything NFL related, what a terrible waste, lmao.
Like I said, when he's not being a ****, his talent is immense. I'd much rather have Canty for 6 mil than Haynesworth for $5 though, I get your point.

egyptian420
02-29-2012, 12:38 PM
he is one of several players that will probably renegotiate their deals.....or at least thats what I think.</p>

Rolle falls under that catagory too IMO...</p>
Agree....they've both good players for us but overpaid. If Marvin steps up this year I could see Canty either taking a huge pay cut next year or getting cut.

RoanokeFan
02-29-2012, 12:39 PM
he is one of several players that will probably renegotiate their deals.....or at least thats what I think.</p>

Agree....they've both good players for us but overpaid. If Marvin steps up this year I could see Canty either taking a huge pay cut next year or getting cut.

Let me ask a question. If we were $25M under the cap, would we be saying these guys are overpaid? I think it's a case of happenstance rather than being "overpaid."

egyptian420
02-29-2012, 12:51 PM

Let me ask a question. If we were #25M under the cap, would we be saying these guys are overpaid? I think it's a case of happenstance rather than being "overpaid."

If we were 25M under the cap I wouldn't care or mention who's overpaid, but that wouldn't mean certain players aren't overpaid. I just wouldn't care because we'd still have room.

The situation we have right now is problematic for us, thus, forcing us to decide who's worth the most, who's dispensable and who's getting paid an amount that isn't proportional to their level of play/importance to the team.

Flip Empty
02-29-2012, 12:53 PM
Let me ask a question. If we were #25M under the cap, would we be saying these guys are overpaid? I think it's a case of happenstance rather than being "overpaid."

He makes more than several top tackles, so he does seem overpaid.

Drez
02-29-2012, 01:05 PM
he is one of several players that will probably renegotiate their deals.....or at least thats what I think.</P>

Rolle falls under that catagory too IMO...</P>As has been said many times, unless we actually ask Rolle to take a pay cut (which we won't and frankly shouldn't do), restructuring Rolle will only make his cap numbers worse. The reason his cap number is so high this season is because of the restructure he did last year.

RoanokeFan
02-29-2012, 01:18 PM

He makes more than several top tackles, so he does seem overpaid.

Is it his fault that other tackles are being paid what they are? Let's understand, the GIANTS are not known for overpaying for talent. Does it happen, sure. But timing is everything and, unlike Rocky Bernard, we are getting what we're paying for with Canty and Rolle, IMO.

Kase-1
02-29-2012, 01:19 PM
Yeah, most of the above play in a 3-4.
Canty's good but there are plenty of guys better than him. Kevin Williams, Haynesworth (when he's not rolling around on the turf), Mebane, Kyle Williams... Sedrick Ellis is better than him, as is Babineaux. Dockett is another DE.Dockett plays both DT and DE.

For straight 4-3 DT's I would def take Canty now than Williams, Haynesworth, and Babineaux

RoanokeFan
02-29-2012, 01:20 PM

If we were 25M under the cap I wouldn't care or mention who's overpaid, but that wouldn't mean certain players aren't overpaid. I just wouldn't care because we'd still have room.

The situation we have right now is problematic for us, thus, forcing us to decide who's worth the most, who's dispensable and who's getting paid an amount that isn't proportional to their level of play/importance to the team.

The top end salaries are obscene, I agree. But you are right about why it's an issue NOW. We are in CAP hell but is that the fault of the players who are producing?

ibbill
02-29-2012, 01:30 PM

Total salary yikes is $7,666,667 contract HERE (http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-york-giants/chris-canty/)

Hooligans
02-29-2012, 01:47 PM

He won't make that much as a Giant. Either that comes down or he will be cut.

burier
02-29-2012, 01:50 PM

na i'm good... i'd rather keep an every down player who is constantly healthy* and can play both sides of the ball

both sides of the ball?

egyptian420
02-29-2012, 01:52 PM

The top end salaries are obscene, I agree. But you are right about why it's an issue NOW. We are in CAP hell but is that the fault of the players who are producing?

I agree that he's producing, but not producing enough for that amount of money. His stats from last season are almost identical to Linval's but he's making a Ton more. But like I said, I agree that this is only an issue because of our cap situation, but nonetheless, it's an issue that cannot be ignored.

RoanokeFan
02-29-2012, 01:52 PM

He won't make that much as a Giant. Either that comes down or he will be cut.

They cant "cut" everyone's salary or they are going tom have trouble bringing people in. Reese will figure it out.

GMAN8625
02-29-2012, 01:57 PM

Nope

burier
02-29-2012, 02:01 PM
Canty is getting too much money for the cap environment we're in right now. He's not the 4th best DT in the league. Maybe top 10.

Also he's got waaaay too much film out there of him taking plays off.

We've got to pay JPP and Cruz.

Plus we've got to sign a linebacker.

Somethings got to give.

I'd approach Canty about redoing his deal altogether and if he won't play ball I'd cut him.

Between Joseph and Austin and the the fact that we can play JPP, Tuck and Kiwi inside at times I'd say Canty's salary is far too high.

RoanokeFan
02-29-2012, 02:06 PM
Canty is getting too much money for the cap environment we're in right now. He's not the 4th best DT in the league. Maybe top 10.

Somethings got to give.

I'd approach Canty about redoing his deal altogether and if he won't play ball I'd cut him.

Between Joseph and Austin and the the fact that we can play JPP, Tuck and Kiwi inside at times I'd say Canty's salary is far too high.

Actually, JPP and Cruz are under contract. We don't HAVE to do anything in that regard.

JJC7301
02-29-2012, 02:30 PM
Can we actually cut him WITHOUT taking a huge cap hit this year??

With being $9 million (the number seems to go up every week -- I saw $6.75 mil 2 weeks ago, $7.25 mil last week, and now $9 mil) over the cap, I'd prefer to cut some expensive FA's that we had signed over the past few years (i.e. Canty and Rolle). McKenzie's gotta be gone too, and Diehl and Jacobs need to take cuts.

I'm not saying that Canty and Rolle are overpaid (well, I do think Rolle is), but rather that we just have cap realities to deal with.

MattMeyerBud
03-01-2012, 10:14 AM
The fact that Rolle is going to make 9 million bugs me a lot more.

the reason is cap number is so high tihs year is because he restructured last year so it really shouldn'tbug you

MattMeyerBud
03-01-2012, 10:16 AM

Somethings got to give.

Actually, JPP and Cruz are under contract. We don't HAVE to do anything in that regard.

well i disagre about cruz....

i think we have to get something done before next season is over. We need to get him as cheap as possible so Hakeem doesn't hold us up. We obviously want to keep cruz as well so we don't want him hitting the open market.

Now I know technically we can use that option and restrict him for the 2013 season, but then we have to worry about a hold out... lets just get Cruz for as cheap as possible is the goal imo. And to do that means we would have to do it as soon as possible

MattMeyerBud
03-01-2012, 10:18 AM

Somethings got to give.

just curious who your top 5 DTs are

we don't have to sign a linebacker.

Austin hasn't played football in 2 years and didn't look impressive in preseason at all. Im not going to hang my coat on him being a starter for us when dline is obviously the most important position grouping for us

Kase-1
03-01-2012, 10:27 AM

Nope
Your post was very deep and insightful.

Thanks for all that you've added to this discussion

Kase-1
03-01-2012, 10:29 AM

Somethings got to give.

Austin hasn't played football in 2 years and didn't look impressive in preseason at all. Im not going to hang my coat on him being a starter for us when dline is obviously the most important position grouping for us
Damn man, I couldnt have said it better

giantman8493
03-01-2012, 10:36 AM

Somethings got to give.

Austin hasn't played football in 2 years and didn't look impressive in preseason at all.* Im not going to hang my coat on him being a starter for us when dline is obviously the most important position grouping for us
I think Joseph is better than Canty...

MattMeyerBud
03-01-2012, 10:37 AM

Somethings got to give.

http://bumpybrains.com/comics/images/great_minds_think_alike_comic.jpg

MattMeyerBud
03-01-2012, 10:38 AM

Somethings got to give.

at times Joseph looks nastyyyyy this year i agree..

but hes not as consistant and isn't as good of a pass rusher

tonyt830
03-01-2012, 11:40 AM
I think Canty improved some in 2011---but I agree with some posters that he and Rolle did get overpaid when they were signed in FA.

Now I would like to see Canty restructure to lower the cap hit.

But i can see the Giants going after another DT in the draft---Poe or Cox might or might not be the guy and might not be there at 32.

But a guy like Reyes, Worthy, or Randall might be a 2nd-4th rd pick?

burier
03-01-2012, 11:53 AM

Somethings got to give.

Actually, JPP and Cruz are under contract.* We don't HAVE to do anything in that regard.

well no not technically but realistically we do.

Victor Cruz performed in the Top 5 wideouts in the league so he needs a boost unless you want him to

1) Hold out wich is bad

2) Become cancerous in the locker room because his own team doesn't value him. Which is bad

3) Quietly play out his contract and get on the next thing smoking out of dodge. Which is cataclysmic. The last thing you want to do is hit the jackpot on an unknown player,,,show him how to play football in the NFL and then let some other team reap the benefits.

So we HAVE to pay the man.

All the same things can be said about JPP.

BlueBlitzer
03-01-2012, 12:06 PM
I like Canty a lot. But that top 5 has Suh and Ngati. So maybe He's in the bottom 3 of the top five.

burier
03-01-2012, 12:14 PM

Somethings got to give.

Austin hasn't played football in 2 years and didn't look impressive in preseason at all.* Im not going to hang my coat on him being a starter for us when dline is obviously the most important position grouping for us

In no particular order

Kevin WIlliams
Jay Ratlif
Vince Wilfork
Haloti Ngata
Isaac Sopanga

And we do have to sign a linebacker. If we don't its neglegence on the part of the front office and someone should be removed.

This idea that we don't need talent at linebacker is really off base.

So let me get this straight. Everyone is ready to take a flyer on twice injured T2 and injured John Goff and just throw those guys in the starting lineup but we not with Austin? I don't get it. The kid better be able to play.

Chris Canty is not a good enough player to be hampstrung by due to his bloated contract. We don't need him that badly.

I much rather move on from injury concerns like Goff and get better at the second level.

Whats happened here is winning the Superbowl has lead everyone to believe that we can stand pat this off season and win and repeat and that is very false.

We only won 9 games last season. It took yet another improbable run to get to the Superbowl

We have major issues and it has to do with poor linebacker play and poor Oline play.

9-7 wont win the east most seasons

MattMeyerBud
03-01-2012, 12:20 PM

Somethings got to give.

well no not technically but realistically we do.

Victor Cruz performed in the Top 5 wideouts in the league so he needs a boost unless you want him to

1) Hold out wich is bad

2) Become cancerous in the locker room because his own team doesn't value him. Which is bad

3) Quietly play out his contract and get on the next thing smoking out of dodge. Which is cataclysmic. The last thing you want to do is hit the jackpot on an unknown player,,,show him how to play football in the NFL and then let some other team reap the benefits.

So we HAVE to pay the man.

All the same things can be said about JPP.

and dont forget that whatever contract Cruz gets will be a bench mark for Nicks the following year

Flip Empty
03-01-2012, 12:21 PM
Ratliff and Sopoaga are nose tackles... Wilfork and Ngata play a sort of hybrid role.

burier
03-01-2012, 12:26 PM
Ratliff and Sopoaga are nose tackles... Wilfork and Ngata play a sort of hybrid role.

Thats beside the point. Id take all those guys in a trade for Canty straight up and not think twice about it.

(Maybe not wilfork because he's a dirtbag his game not withstanding)

If we're saying that Canty is a top 5 4-3 DT...

That's really not saying much since most teams are running some form a 3-4 defense these days.

MattMeyerBud
03-01-2012, 12:28 PM

Somethings got to give.

In no particular order

Kevin WIlliams
Jay Ratlif
Vince Wilfork
Haloti Ngata
Isaac Sopanga

And we do have to sign a linebacker. If we don't its neglegence on the part of the front office and someone should be removed.

So let me get this straight. Everyone is ready to take a flyier on twice injured T2 and injured John Goff and just throw those guys in the starting lineup but we not with Austin? I don't get it. The kid better be able to play.

Chris Canty is not a good enough player to be hampstrung by due to his bloated contract. We don't need him that badly.

I much rather move on from injury concerns like Goff and get better at the second level.

Whats happened here is winning the Superbowl has lead everyone to believe that we can stand pat this off season and win and repeat and that is very false.

We only won 9 games last season. It took yet another improbably run to get to the Superbowl

We have major issues and it has to do with poor linebacker play and poor Oline play.

i'll give you Ngata, Suh, and Wilfork but beyond that I think it would be hard to say that Kevin Williams, Jay Ratliff,or Sopanga are better than Canty at all. And I mean contract wise they are all in the same vicinity. The only difference is Canty signed his deal with us when he was 26. I mean at the very most.

I give canty a pass for 2009 because he was hurt... last year he had a very underrated year. People don't see the sack stats so they get made but he did a great job of eating up the middle.

I think Canty's contract is on par, dude is only 29 and we just won a superbowl with him. Defensive tackle isn't a glorious position.

MattMeyerBud
03-01-2012, 12:32 PM

Thats beside the point. Id take all those guys in a trade for Canty straight up and not think twice about it.

That's really not saying much since most teams are running some form a 3-4 defense these days.

thats not saying much considering that u wanted to cut Justin Tuck this season :P

but regardless, Canty may be like a mil a year average overpaid, its not enough to be up in arms about things. Canty's "INFLATED CONTRACT" is dramatically over blown

Jay Ratliff got a 7 year 48 million dollar deal at age 30...

we gave canty a 6 years 42 million dollar deal at age 26...

its relaly not as bad as suggested. You hae to compare it to the peers at his positions. I do agree with Flip that it is essentially comparing two different positions but i'll roll with the DT/NT as a whole

giantman8493
03-01-2012, 12:36 PM

Somethings got to give.

We have Austin to be a pass rusher. he just is not worth getting money over cruz or nicks or eli!

burier
03-01-2012, 12:36 PM

Somethings got to give.

In no particular order

Kevin WIlliams
Jay Ratlif
Vince Wilfork
Haloti Ngata
Isaac Sopanga

So let me get this straight. Everyone is ready to take a flyier on twice injured T2 and injured John Goff and just throw those guys in the starting lineup but we not with Austin? I don't get it. The kid better be able to play.

We only won 9 games last season. It took yet another improbably run to get to the Superbowl

i'll give you Ngata, Suh, and Wilfork but beyond that I think it would be hard to say that Kevin Williams, Jay Ratliff,or Sopanga are better than Canty at all.* And I mean contract wise they are all in the same vicinity. The only difference is Canty signed his deal with us when he was 26. I mean at the very most.

I give canty a pass for 2009 because he was hurt... last year he had a very underrated year.* People don't see the sack stats so they get made but he did a great job of eating up the middle.

I think Canty's contract is on par, dude is only 29 and we just won a superbowl with him.* Defensive tackle isn't a glorious position.

I don't look at Sack totals for tackles...actually for tackles I think the only stat worth anything is Games Played. Those big guys like to take games off.

So props to Canty for playing games.

But with DTs its way more about the eyeball test for me.

(Totally forgot about Suh....I might be able to leave Canty out of a top 10 list.)

Canty seems to make plays only when there a foul up in the blocking scheme and he comes free.

As I've said 100 times...tends to take plays off. Runs around blockers ala post titans Heynsworth.

In the first Cowboys game this past season basically got his *** whipped all over the field.

Counts as another defender on our team who simply cannot make a play in critical moments. (See basically every game this regular season especially the second eagles game.)

If we weren't in Cap hell I'd say whatever...The Giants signed the contract too. But in this case the guy needs a paycut so we can take care of some other bigger fish that need frying.

Flip Empty
03-01-2012, 12:38 PM

Their roles are pretty different but I get what you're saying.

Both Ratliff and Sopoaga will make less than Canty this coming season. Ouch.

MattMeyerBud
03-01-2012, 12:41 PM

Somethings got to give.

In no particular order

Kevin WIlliams
Jay Ratlif
Vince Wilfork
Haloti Ngata
Isaac Sopanga

i'll give you Ngata, Suh, and Wilfork but beyond that I think it would be hard to say that Kevin Williams, Jay Ratliff,or Sopanga are better than Canty at all. And I mean contract wise they are all in the same vicinity. The only difference is Canty signed his deal with us when he was 26. I mean at the very most.

I give canty a pass for 2009 because he was hurt... last year he had a very underrated year. People don't see the sack stats so they get made but he did a great job of eating up the middle.

I think Canty's contract is on par, dude is only 29 and we just won a superbowl with him. Defensive tackle isn't a glorious position.

I don't look at Sack totals for tackles...actually for tackles I think the only stat worth anything is Games Played. Those big guys like to take games off.

(Totally forgot about Suh....I might be able to leave Canty out of a top 10 list.)

Canty seems to make plays only when there a foul up in the blocking scheme and he comes free.

As I've said 100 times...tends to take plays off. Runs around blockers ala post titans Heynsworth.

In the first Cowboys game this past season basically got his *** whipped all over the field.

Counts as another defender on our team who simply cannot make a play in critical moments. (See basically every game this regular season especially the second eagles game.)

If we weren't in Cap hell I'd say whatever...The Giants signed the contract too. But in this case the guy needs a paycut so we can take care of some other bigger fish that need frying.

i completely disagree with your assessment...

but either way guys that are obviously comparable to Canty are in the same price range.

Hes not taking a paycut. Your not going to get any starter that just won a superbowl to take apaycut...

We're not going to cut him either, people need to delete that from their minds.

He is a good candidate to restructure, but that just means moving money around and changing the amount of gauranteed money. THAT i could see him doing.

But again look at the price of good starting tackles in the NFL that aren't on rookie deals or flash in the pans - Canty's contract isn't really a blown up deal

MattMeyerBud
03-01-2012, 12:44 PM

Somethings got to give.

We have Austin to be a pass rusher. he just is not worth getting money over cruz or nicks or eli!

bottom line on austin is that he hasn't played football in two years and didn't show much in the limited time we got to see him. Our whole defense is based around the production of our DLine. Its why we can have average LBers and not dump money into that position. WE're not just going to go with Austin in there. Guy hasn't played a real NFL snap, I don't want to hear about what he did in college. If college mattered Ron Dayne would be in the HOF by now

MattMeyerBud
03-01-2012, 12:49 PM

Their roles are pretty different but I get what you're saying.

Both Ratliff and Sopoaga will make less than Canty this coming season. Ouch.

yea but by how much? a mil n half with Ratliff? Its only because his extension doesn't kick in until AFTER next year.

As for Soapoga - yes hes making less but its the last year of a contract he signed before he made his mark as a legit player.

So while this is all true, we'll see what kind of extension SOapoga gets next year or the year after when he hits FA

giantman8493
03-01-2012, 12:52 PM

Somethings got to give.

bottom line on austin is that he hasn't played football in two years and didn't show much in the limited time we got to see him.* Our whole defense is based around the production of our DLine. Its why we can have average LBers and not dump money into that position. WE're not just going to go with Austin in there. Guy hasn't played a real NFL snap, I don't want to hear about what he did in college. If college mattered Ron Dayne would be in the HOF by now
What??!! show me one article where it says Austin has not impressed. This guy could be great!!!

burier
03-01-2012, 12:53 PM

Somethings got to give.

In no particular order

Kevin WIlliams
Jay Ratlif
Vince Wilfork
Haloti Ngata
Isaac Sopanga

i'll give you Ngata, Suh, and Wilfork but beyond that I think it would be hard to say that Kevin Williams, Jay Ratliff,or Sopanga are better than Canty at all.* And I mean contract wise they are all in the same vicinity. The only difference is Canty signed his deal with us when he was 26. I mean at the very most.

I give canty a pass for 2009 because he was hurt... last year he had a very underrated year.* People don't see the sack stats so they get made but he did a great job of eating up the middle.

I think Canty's contract is on par, dude is only 29 and we just won a superbowl with him.* Defensive tackle isn't a glorious position.

but either way guys that are obviously comparable to Canty are in the same price range.

Hes not taking a paycut. Your not going to get any starter that just won a superbowl to take* apaycut...

He is a good candidate to restructure, but that just means moving money around and changing the amount of gauranteed money. THAT* i could see him doing.

But again look at the price of good starting tackles in the NFL that aren't on rookie deals or flash in the pans - Canty's contract isn't really a blown up deal

Your welcome to disagree with my assessment but I'd ask you to take another look.

I don't have a personal beef with the guy. Paycut restructure is all the same to me. I just know we need cap space now.

Something has to be done because we've got people to sign.

MattMeyerBud
03-01-2012, 12:54 PM

Somethings got to give.

bottom line on austin is that he hasn't played football in two years and didn't show much in the limited time we got to see him. Our whole defense is based around the production of our DLine. Its why we can have average LBers and not dump money into that position. WE're not just going to go with Austin in there. Guy hasn't played a real NFL snap, I don't want to hear about what he did in college. If college mattered Ron Dayne would be in the HOF by now
What??!! show me one article where it says Austin has not impressed. This guy could be great!!!

He did nothing special. Played garbage time and preseason. Nobody gets crowned a starting spot like that, especially on a coughlin team.

i'm good too.. I don't need Ralph Vacciano's column to let me know who played well and who didn't.

The point is you don't just hand the keys to the starting spot to an unproven rookie who hasn't played a snap of competitive football since 2009

Flip Empty
03-01-2012, 12:55 PM
Personally, I want Canty back, bloated contract or not he's an integral part of the driving force of the team. Removing a big component of that defensive line would be a mistake.
Yes, he's probably overpaid, but that's what it took to acquire him.

It's great that the Giants are built largely through the draft and by the signing and development of young players. It means these heavy FA contracts are few and far between.

giantman8493
03-01-2012, 12:55 PM

Somethings got to give.

bottom line on austin is that he hasn't played football in two years and didn't show much in the limited time we got to see him.* Our whole defense is based around the production of our DLine. Its why we can have average LBers and not dump money into that position. WE're not just going to go with Austin in there. Guy hasn't played a real NFL snap, I don't want to hear about what he did in college. If college mattered Ron Dayne would be in the HOF by now

He did nothing special.* Played garbage time and preseason. Nobody gets crowned a starting spot like that, especially on a coughlin team.
who cares about the preseason. show me his camp reports. how did he look there. im sure it was nothing less than spectacular.

MattMeyerBud
03-01-2012, 12:57 PM
so you think his camp reports are a better sign of his play?

Either way NEITHER are enough to get the starting spot

giantman8493
03-01-2012, 01:00 PM

yes. I do. Pre season is half effort for most of those guys. camp is certinlly is a good gauge at his ability.

MattMeyerBud
03-01-2012, 01:01 PM

Somethings got to give.

In no particular order

Kevin WIlliams
Jay Ratlif
Vince Wilfork
Haloti Ngata
Isaac Sopanga

Hes not taking a paycut. Your not going to get any starter that just won a superbowl to take apaycut...

He is a good candidate to restructure, but that just means moving money around and changing the amount of gauranteed money. THAT i could see him doing.

Your welcome to disagree with my assessment but I'd ask you to take another look.

I don't have a personal beef with the guy. Paycut restructure is all the same to me. I just know we need cap space now.

Something has to be done because we've got people to sign.

well paycut and restructure COULD mean the same thing, but its possible that a player could technically take less against the cpa but get paid more.

I wouldn't expect anything this year to be honest. MAYBE we resign T2 and Goff and extend Osi but I doubt we'll do much more than that. MAYBE if McKenzie is willing to sign at a deal for us we'd take him back.

We're going to have a similiar year like last year I think, rely on the draft and sign a bunch of no namers.

I could see us not even touching LB or WR this year.We may just go with Hixon, Jernigan, Barden to fill that 3 spot.

MattMeyerBud
03-01-2012, 01:02 PM

yes. I do. Pre season is half effort for most of those guys. camp is certinlly is a good gauge at his ability.

well thats madness. I guess your a combine guy as well

Its about on field production at the end of the day

Kase-1
03-01-2012, 01:06 PM
What??!! show me one article where it says Austin has not impressed. This guy could be great!!!When he last played a snap of football, which was over 2 YEARS AGO he was a nasty pass rushing beast of a DT, but that was 2 years ago. At this point I dont expect anything from him, I would love for him to come out and not miss a beat, but cmon lets be real

burier
03-01-2012, 01:07 PM

you're being way too sensative about 1 partial preseason.

See what the kid does this year.

MattMeyerBud
03-01-2012, 01:11 PM

well i think its crazy to suggest we should get rid of Canty beause we have Austin because he looked good in camp and there was an article written about it (before they were in pads by the way)

Kase-1
03-01-2012, 01:11 PM

yes. I do. Pre season is half effort for most of those guys. camp is certinlly is a good gauge at his ability.Depends if you're playing against the starters or against their 3rd and 4th stringers

As we all know the last pre-season game is a glorified joke of a game, if the starters play at all then its for a set of downs or 2

MattMeyerBud
03-01-2012, 01:19 PM
What??!! show me one article where it says Austin has not impressed. This guy could be great!!!When he last played a snap of football, which was over 2 YEARS AGO he was a nasty pass rushing beast of a DT, but that was 2 years ago. At this point I dont expect anything from him, I would love for him to come out and not miss a beat, but cmon lets be real

...and it was in college

don't get me wrong I like Austin. I think he CAN turn into a beast, but you can't pencil him in as a starter this year just because Canty is overpaid by maybe a MILLION dollars against hte cap.

I'd even say its highly debatable that Canty is overpaid. Alot of people just see 6 million but don't realize how much other tackles are getting paid.

burier
03-01-2012, 01:24 PM

well i think its crazy to suggest we should get rid of Canty beause we have Austin because he looked good in camp and there was an article written about it (before they were in pads by the way)

Thats not what Im saying. Im saying get rid of Canty because we can't afford him.

Austin's gonna have to play at some point regardless.

Kase-1
03-01-2012, 01:31 PM

...and it was in college

don't get me wrong I like Austin. I think he CAN turn into a beast, but you can't pencil him in as a starter this year just because Canty is overpaid by maybe a MILLION dollars against hte cap.

I'd even say its highly debatable that Canty is overpaid. Alot of people just see 6 million but don't realize how much other tackles are getting paid.
It was in college, in a pro style 4-3, BUT he didnt play in 2011 cause of injury and didnt even play in 2010 because he was suspended by the UNC team

The guy has tons of talent, im just not expecting a damned thing this upcoming season considering he hasnt played in a game since 2009

Eli TO Shockey
03-01-2012, 01:41 PM
Anyone who thinks canty is top 5 is a major homer. Where we're these comparisons when we had one of the worst rushing Ds In the nfl because of our crap DT play. You can't pick out 5 games and say he's one of the best based on those.

Eli TO Shockey
03-01-2012, 01:43 PM
For starters..Linval isn't much of a drop off from canty. He plays the run better.

Itlan
03-01-2012, 01:46 PM
Canty's best asset is his height. Makes it hard for QBs to see over his goofy *** body.

Kase-1
03-01-2012, 01:47 PM
Anyone who thinks canty is top 5 is a major homer. Where we're these comparisons when we had one of the worst rushing Ds In the nfl because of our crap DT play. You can't pick out 5 games and say he's one of the best based on those.Lets hear your top 5 DT's in the NFL as of last season.

We had a bad run D mainly because we lost our best run stopper with Jon Goff's injury

Kase-1
03-01-2012, 01:48 PM
Canty's best asset is his height. Makes it hard for QBs to see over his goofy *** body.Or the fact that he's a damned good DT

buffyblue
03-01-2012, 01:48 PM

I would much rather keep Canty than Umenyora.

Eli TO Shockey
03-01-2012, 01:53 PM
Anyone who thinks canty is top 5 is a major homer. Where we're these comparisons when we had one of the worst rushing Ds In the nfl because of our crap DT play. You can't pick out 5 games and say he's one of the best based on those.Lets hear your top 5 DT's in the NFL as of last season.*

We had a bad run D mainly because we lost our best run stopper with Jon Goff's injury

So Jon goffs absence was the reason for those gaping holes on the dline? Child please .

I'll post some names when I get to a CPU

ny06
03-01-2012, 01:56 PM
If we just look at the work Canty has done for the Giants and not at his contract I think we would all be satisfied. </P>

The thing is he gets paid like an all-pro d-tackle. </P>

His contributions to this team are not shown on the stat sheet. </P>

I don't think cutting him is an option, we are slim at that position. And we really don't know what to expect from Austin. (but I do think he will be a good player in this league)</P>

Unless the Giants know of some solid d-tackles in the draft, Canty will surely be a Giant next year. But with a lower salary cap number. </P>

http://assets.dnainfo.com/generated/photo/2012/02/1328481628.jpg/image320x240.jpg</P>

burier
03-01-2012, 01:56 PM
Anyone who thinks canty is top 5 is a major homer. Where we're these comparisons when we had one of the worst rushing Ds In the nfl because of our crap DT play. You can't pick out 5 games and say he's one of the best based on those.Lets hear your top 5 DT's in the NFL as of last season.*

So Jon goffs absence was the reason for those gaping holes on the dline? Child please .

hahaha...I thought we already established that John Goff was underwealming to be mild in 2010.

He made a few plays against the run and is suddenly on par with Butkis??

speedman
03-01-2012, 01:59 PM
Anyone who thinks canty is top 5 is a major homer. Where we're these comparisons when we had one of the worst rushing Ds In the nfl because of our crap DT play. You can't pick out 5 games and say he's one of the best based on those.Lets hear your top 5 DT's in the NFL as of last season.

So Jon goffs absence was the reason for those gaping holes on the dline? Child please . I'll post some names when I get to a CPUYou should list the DT's that are better and how much they make.

Kase-1
03-01-2012, 02:10 PM

I'll post some names when I get to a CPUHe was one of the biggest reasons why our run game dropped from top 10 to bottom of the barrel. He was one of the most efficent run stoppers in the NFL in 2010.

If we had a cerebral Mike LB instead of the constant rotation we had in the 1st 3/4 of the season, to read the gaps and shoot them like Goff did, then we would have been in a better situation

BlueSanta
03-01-2012, 03:50 PM

na i'm good... i'd rather keep an every down player who is constantly healthy and can play both sides of the ball

That would be a good point...If Canty were an every down player. But, he is not. When Osi comes on the field, it is often Canty who goes off.

He is a good player, but he is a 2 down player earning the biggest contract on the defense. That cant be ignored.

He did play a bit more this year because of injuries to others, but he still was not used in most pass rushing packages.

MattMeyerBud
03-01-2012, 03:59 PM

LB flow was a major issue at MLB this year

MattMeyerBud
03-01-2012, 04:00 PM

your being dramatic about the gaping holes. You might mis-identifying gaping holes as lanes our LBers were slow to fill

MattMeyerBud
03-01-2012, 04:01 PM

hahaha...I thought we already established that John Goff was underwealming to be mild in 2010.

Goff was a young player getting better...

you don't need to be **** Buckus to be above average LBer and fill holes...

MattMeyerBud
03-01-2012, 04:03 PM

That would be a good point...If Canty were an every down player. But, he is not. When Osi comes on the field, it is often Canty who goes off.

He is a good player, but he is a 2 down player earning the biggest contract on the defense. That cant be ignored.

He did play a bit more this year because of injuries to others, but he still was not used in most pass rushing packages.

well our forte is to sub in and out alot. But our Nascar (not sure if that was officially the nascar) set this year when we had all three DTs was the 3 DTs and Canty.

As well as being the DT that got the most snaps without a doubt

BlueSanta
03-01-2012, 04:15 PM

well our forte is to sub in and out alot. But our Nascar (not sure if that was officially the nascar) set this year when we had all three DTs was the 3 DTs and Canty.

As well as being the DT that got the most snaps without a doubt.

*note- I think you meant to say DE above, I assume anyways.

Canty and Jospeh had almost the identical number of snaps, and that with Canty playing for injured Tuck/Osi at DE. So in reality, Jospeh was our DT with the most snaps.

Not trying to knock Canty, he is a good player and is valuable too. But he is paid as a great player.

Kase-1
03-01-2012, 04:17 PM

Canty and Jospeh had almost the identical number of snaps, and that with Canty playing for injured Tuck/Osi at DE. So in reality, Jospeh was our DT with the most snaps.

Not trying to knock Canty, he is a good player and is valuable too. But he is paid as a great player.
Are you saying that Canty played DE for us??

BlueSanta
03-01-2012, 04:19 PM

He played quite a bit at DE while JT and Osi were injured. Yes. Obviously his primary position was DT.

MattMeyerBud
03-01-2012, 04:20 PM

hes really not though. Hes getting 7 mil a year average on his deal total, getting 6 mil this year. Last year the franchise tag was 12 mil and this year its 8 mil. I just don't think its as huge of a number as people are suggesting

Kase-1
03-01-2012, 04:23 PM

He played quite a bit at DE while JT and Osi were injured. Yes. Obviously his primary position was DT.
I do not remember seeing him lineup at DE for us at all. When Tuck and Osi were out we played Tolly alot and had Kiwi with his hand in the dirt on more occasions

MattMeyerBud
03-01-2012, 04:30 PM

I do not remember seeing him lineup at DE for us at all. When Tuck and Osi were out we played Tolly alot and had Kiwi with his hand in the dirt on more occasions

he got limited snaps at DE, not as much as Blue Santa is suggesting

BlueSanta
03-01-2012, 04:34 PM

hes really not though. Hes getting 7 mil a year average on his deal total, getting 6 mil this year. Last year the franchise tag was 12 mil and this year its 8 mil. I just don't think its as huge of a number as people are suggesting

Also consider that doesnt reflect the "workout bonus" of 250k and the added cap hit of $1.42 mil for his pro-rated signing bonus. His cap hit for 2012 is in the $7.67 mil area. That is pretty large. If the franchise tag is an average of the top 5 paid DTs in the league and it is $8mil this year then that would mean we pay him to be a top 5 DT in the league, is he?

BlueSanta
03-01-2012, 04:36 PM

It still means your "nascar" statement above is incorrect

MattMeyerBud
03-01-2012, 04:42 PM

Also consider that doesnt reflect the "workout bonus" of 250k and the added cap hit of $1.42 mil for his pro-rated signing bonus. His cap hit for 2012 is in the $7.67 mil area. That is pretty large. If the franchise tag is an average of the top 5 paid DTs in the league and it is $8mil this year then that would mean we pay him to be a top 5 DT in the league, is he?

thats a jaded way to look at it

last year the number was 12 million. The year before it was 7 million. Obviously it fluctuates heavily.

All you can do is compare the deal to his peers and if u do that you'd see its a fair contract.

MattMeyerBud
03-01-2012, 04:44 PM

It still means your "nascar" statement above is incorrect

how does one have to do with the other?

Are u suggesting Canty wasn't the 4th DLineman in most of the sets where Osi - JPP - Tuck we're on the field?

dezzzR
03-01-2012, 04:53 PM

Plus Giants ran out of the nickle a lot.

BlueSanta
03-01-2012, 04:55 PM

last year the number was 12 million. The year before it was 7 million. Obviously it fluctuates heavily.

All you can do is compare the deal to his peers and if u do that you'd see its a fair contract.

You didnt answer the question. Is he a top 5 DT? Because that is what he is paid to be.

Also, keep in mind they changed the formula for Franchise tags. They did it in part because of the what happened to the designation for DTs last year. Excluding 2011, the franchise tag for DT has been somewhat constant. 2011 is the anomaly. It was never anywhere near to 11 mil prior to 2011. We have some high priced low draft picks to thank for that.

The new system uses a more complicated formula based on 5 year averages, to keep 1 or 2 high priced 1st round DT(or any position really) like Suh to dramatically upset the franchise tag at any given position.

So the 2012 number is more reflective of actual value, It still indicated that Canty is paid as a top 5 DT in this league. I like the guy, but he is not a top 5 DT. If you say he is, your lieing to yourself. I can accept paying him above average because he is versatile and can play DE or DT, but he isnt top 5 in any way. Considering how many snaps he plays, I just do not see a justification for paying him the way we are. We may be forced to do it, because we arent deep at the position due to Bernard not working out, Austin being injured, and a variety of other factors. But, I still dont seehow that justifies overpaying by that magnitude. Again, he is a 2 down player and he is the highest paid player on the defense.

MattMeyerBud
03-01-2012, 05:14 PM

You didnt answer the question. Is he a top 5 DT? Because that is what he is paid to be.

Also, keep in mind they changed the formula for Franchise tags. They did it in part because of the what happened to the designation for DTs last year. Excluding 2011, the franchise tag for DT has been somewhat constant. 2011 is the anomaly. It was never anywhere near to 11 mil prior to 2011. We have some high priced low draft picks to thank for that.

The new system uses a more complicated formula based on 5 year averages, to keep 1 or 2 high priced 1st round DT(or any position really) like Suh to dramatically upset the franchise tag at any given position.

So the 2012 number is more reflective of actual value, It still indicated that Canty is paid as a top 5 DT in this league. I like the guy, but he is not a top 5 DT. If you say he is, your lieing to yourself. I can accept paying him above average because he is versatile and can play DE or DT, but he isnt top 5 in any way. Considering how many snaps he plays, I just do not see a justification for paying him the way we are. We may be forced to do it, because we arent deep at the position due to Bernard not working out, Austin being injured, and a variety of other factors. But, I still dont seehow that justifies overpaying by that magnitude. Again, he is a 2 down player and he is the highest paid player on the defense.

no hes not a top 5 paid DT.

Ngata 5 year 61 mil, Suh 5 year 60 mil, Wilform 5 for 40 mil, Darnell Docket 6 for 56 mil, and Seymour 2 for 30 mil all average more per year...

just because its a weird year of the way contracts strcutured throughout the league yes Canty is close if not in the top 5, but that doesn't mean hes a top 5 paid DT.

Canty has an average of 7 mil per year. those guys FAR exceed

and there are plenty of guys RIGHT on his tail. so like I said its a jaded view to twist things, Canty is paid right around where his value is. IF he is overpaid, which i disagree with, its isn't by very much at all. ESPECIALLY not enough to be outraged like people have been on here.

8 mil as a franchise tag IS NOT a reflective value of what DTs go for. GO average out the 5 guys I gave u up top over all their years. Its an average of just over 10 million a year. THATS the way you should judge if you want to follow franchise tags. Just because a few of those players had a bigger cap hit last year than this year and it brings Canty up in the rankings doesn't mean hes actually being paid like a top 5 DT

MattMeyerBud
03-01-2012, 05:15 PM

Plus Giants ran out of the nickle a lot.

that def didn't help either

burier
03-01-2012, 05:23 PM

but he wasn't above average at all. There was nothing about his game that said anything other than very average.

Him being on the rise is total speculation.
And his trajectory was changed drastically by way of injury.

ourlinebackers suck and are made no better by goff.

MattMeyerBud
03-01-2012, 05:25 PM

but he wasn't above average at all. There was nothing about his game that said anything other than very average.

Him being on the rise is total speculation.
And his trajectory was changed drastically by way of injury.

ourlinebackers suck and are made no better by goff.

na we was legit against the run, ur being pretty ridic about it...

plus lets not forget the fact that eh was a young player that improved every year

Drez
03-01-2012, 05:49 PM

...and it was in college

<FONT color=#0000ff size=4>I'd even say its highly debatable that Canty is overpaid. Alot of people just see 6 million but don't realize how much other tackles are getting paid.
</FONT></P>

That is probably the most poignant thing said in this entire thread. Canty is actually getting paid right in the range where other tackles of his caliber are (with the caveat that you mentioned before of not on rookie contract/one-hit wonders). </P>

Sure, he might be a little overpaid, but then we're talking about a matter of degree not one of magnitude.</P>

BlueSanta
03-01-2012, 06:06 PM

Ngata 5 year 61 mil, Suh 5 year 60 mil, Wilform 5 for 40 mil, Darnell Docket 6 for 56 mil, and Seymour 2 for 30 mil all average more per year...

just because its a weird year of the way contracts strcutured throughout the league yes Canty is close if not in the top 5, but that doesn't mean hes a top 5 paid DT.

and there are plenty of guys RIGHT on his tail. so like I said its a jaded view to twist things, Canty is paid right around where his value is. IF he is overpaid, which i disagree with, its isn't by very much at all. ESPECIALLY not enough to be outraged like people have been on here.

8 mil as a franchise tag IS NOT a reflective value of what DTs go for. GO average out the 5 guys I gave u up top over all their years. Its an average of just over 10 million a year. THATS the way you should judge if you want to follow franchise tags. Just because a few of those players had a bigger cap hit last year than this year and it brings Canty up in the rankings doesn't mean hes actually being paid like a top 5 DT

I have to point out the slight flaw in your math. 1st off Wilforks contract is heavily incentivised. It is very unlikely he comes close to the actual 5 year 40 mil deal. There are weight clauses and workout bonuses spread throughout his contract. 2nd, because a guy signs a 6 year 42 mil deal, doesnt mean he averages 7 mil a year. Thats not how it works. That's a big oversimplification.

Furthermore, of the 5 guys you mentioned above, Canty actually earns more in Base Salary this year than 3 of them, which was the point of the original poster.

The fact that his cap hit this year ISNT in the form of a huge signing bonus is exactly what endangers him. The leftover cap hit isnt very big if he is cut. His contract is designed so that he has to keep earning it or be at risk of being cut. Thats what a smaller signing bonus does.

With that in mind, I do think we keep him this year. However, I think it is likely for only 1 more year because right now the cap hit would be just enough to hurt. I also think he is a guy that , because of the nature and design of his contract, is never guaranteed a roster spot.

giantman8493
03-01-2012, 06:40 PM

Im not a combine guy. thats usless. REAL drills are whats impotent. Trust me seeing the same people do the same thing for a month really allows you to see who is better. The fact that YOU think going up against players that are only trying to not get injured is a great assessment for a players talent then you just wrong. Why did no one pay attention to victor cruz's great preseason? cause no one ever cares about it. Cruz impressed in camp and made the team. Same thing with Austin. Camp is so much more importent for coaches to see how players are doing.

MattMeyerBud
03-01-2012, 06:46 PM

I have to point out the slight flaw in your math. 1st off Wilforks contract is heavily incentivised. It is very unlikely he comes close to the actual 5 year 40 mil deal. There are weight clauses and workout bonuses spread throughout his contract. 2nd, because a guy signs a 6 year 42 mil deal, doesnt mean he averages 7 mil a year. Thats not how it works. That's a big oversimplification.

Furthermore, of the 5 guys you mentioned above, Canty actually earns more in Base Salary this year than 3 of them, which was the point of the original poster.

The fact that his cap hit this year ISNT in the form of a huge signing bonus is exactly what endangers him. The leftover cap hit isnt very big if he is cut. His contract is designed so that he has to keep earning it or be at risk of being cut. Thats what a smaller signing bonus does.

With that in mind, I do think we keep him this year. However, I think it is likely for only 1 more year because right now the cap hit would be just enough to hurt. I also think he is a guy that , because of the nature and design of his contract, is never guaranteed a roster spot.

First off with Wilfork, the first year of that deal was franchised so he got every penny of it. And do you have some sort of link that explains Wilforks incentive package? I couldn't find a thing on it.

I know thats not how it works, the over simplification is seeing Canty in the top 5 paid DEs this year. First off, hes not Ngata, Seymour, Tommy Kelly, Suh, and Wilfork are all bigger cap hits this year. With Dockett, Kevin Williams, Sedrick Ellis and a bunch of other guys are all right behind him. Plus we'll see what this years free agency brings cap wise.

Bottom line is hes paid like a top 10 DT and thats how hes performed. But to suggest that because hes the 6th highest paid DT but isn't the 6th best is ridiculous and thats the moral of what the OP was trying to say.

The over simplification is happening when u see whose the highest paid DT this year and not taking into account the fact that it is basically structured case by case and all according to a team's salary cap. So just becuase it worked out that DTs for the year just happen to not be collectively making alot doesn't really mean anything. Next year the franchise tag will be JUST under 11 mil and Canty will be just under 8 mil... so that will make everybody feel better?

It just makes no sense, the top paid is a fluid thing. You have to go by total deals to make this judgement. By total deals Canty is right in line with mostly every body else thats in his class

MattMeyerBud
03-01-2012, 06:49 PM

Im not a combine guy. thats usless. REAL drills are whats impotent. Trust me seeing the same people do the same thing for a month really allows you to see who is better. The fact that YOU think going up against players that are only trying to not get injured is a great assessment for a players talent then you just wrong. Why did no one pay attention to victor cruz's great preseason? cause no one ever cares about it. Cruz impressed in camp and made the team. Same thing with Austin. Camp is so much more importent for coaches to see how players are doing.

well your way off of what preseason is. It isn't the pro bowl, they are out there playing..

Sinorice had a great camp before the pads too - just saying.

Gerris Wilkinson was a camp king.

Only articles i found on how great Austin was doing that great was in camp before pads came on. You don't hand the keys to a rookie who hasn't played football in two years, its ludacris.

Drez
03-01-2012, 06:52 PM

</P>

The franchise numbers are lower now because they take the 5-year average of the top guys now, instead of the salaries of just that year.</P>

giantman8493
03-01-2012, 06:55 PM

well your way off of what preseason is. It isn't the pro bowl, they are out there playing..

Sinorice had a great camp before the pads too - just saying.

Gerris Wilkinson was a camp king.

Only articles i found on how great Austin was doing that great was in camp before pads came on.* You don't hand the keys to a rookie who hasn't played football in two years, its ludacris.
No there not out there playing. the main objective for pre season is a warm up and to see who will make the roster. Obviously a second round pick will make the roster. The only people trying are the people on the bubble. Also, he is not a rookie anymore.

Im fine with handing the keys to Joseph. Let him lead the way. He is better anyway.

Drez
03-01-2012, 08:25 PM
No there not out there playing. the main objective for pre season is a warm up and to see who will make the roster. Obviously a second round pick will make the roster. The only people trying are the people on the bubble. Also, he is not a rookie anymore. Im fine with handing the keys to Joseph. Let him lead the way. He is better anyway.</P>

Austin may not be a "rookie" anymore by the strict definition of having been on our roster last year (albeit on IR), but he is every bit a rookie in the sense that matters... Experience preparing and playing as a professional football player.</P>

</P>

jomo
03-01-2012, 08:46 PM

Canty "constantly healthy and can play both sides of the ball" ...........we must use different terminology. lol

giantman8493
03-01-2012, 08:56 PM
No there not out there playing. the main objective for pre season is a warm up and to see who will make the roster. Obviously a second round pick will make the roster. The only people trying are the people on the bubble. Also, he is not a rookie anymore. Im fine with handing the keys to Joseph. Let him lead the way. He is better anyway.</P>

Austin may not be a "rookie" anymore by the strict definition of having been on our roster last year (albeit on IR), but he is every bit a rookie in the sense that matters... Experience preparing and playing as a professional football player.</P>

*</P>Im talking about Joseph

Bigbluereckingcrew
03-01-2012, 09:22 PM
Since we are talking about DT, what ever happen to Jay Alford?

Here is how I see it, we had a good run defense over the course of the season and our linebacker core didn't get up to speed until Chase came along, Tuck & Osi were in and out of the line-up during the season so there must have been a consistent presents plugging the middle. Canty doesn't have the flashy stats or the face time of a Rolle, all he does is his job.

Itlan
03-01-2012, 09:25 PM
Alford went to Raiders, last I heard. I think he got cut. He's probably out of the league.

giantman8493
03-01-2012, 09:33 PM
What??!! show me one article where it says Austin has not impressed. This guy could be great!!!When he last played a snap of football, which was over 2 YEARS AGO he was a nasty pass rushing beast of a DT, but that was 2 years ago.* At this point I dont expect anything from him, I would love for him to come out and not miss a beat, but cmon lets be real

...and it was in college

It is not JUST because he is over paid. Its that he is overpaid AND not even the best DT on the team. JOSEPH! Austin does not have to do everything by himself. besides we will probably sign a vet dt for cheap if we cut canty anyway. so its not like we will be having two guys that don't know what there doing. Not to mention i think we have a great d-line coach.

Voldamort
03-01-2012, 09:34 PM
The fact that Rolle is going to make 9 million bugs me a lot more.* both Rolle and Canty need a pay cut!!

giantsfan420
03-01-2012, 10:31 PM
on nfl network, they were saying the best fit for mario williams would be the giants.

if i was playing madden, i'd trade canty and osi to clear up cap space and get a nice package deal of picks, sign mario williams.

wilcotts made a great point, we have a great DL now, imagine the hell for qb's if we added williams...i hadnt thought of it that way until i heard solomon wilcotts say it.

could u imagine how unstoppable our dl would be if we had jpp, tuck, williams and l.joseph? granted, it'd be tough to figure out who could move to the 2nd dt spot, but that'd be a problem i love to have.

but since this aint madden, canty seems to have genuine love for the giants and his teammates, i could see him taking a pay cut to help some of his friends stay. not worried about cantys salary bc a.he finally earned every penny (i always thought he was playing well but this season he wasnt overpaid imho) and b. he seems like a genuine team first guy so if his salary is holding the team back i would assume he'd work it out

Drez
03-01-2012, 10:34 PM

</P>

Im talking about Joseph</P>

My bad. Thought you were talking about Austin.</P>

Drez
03-01-2012, 10:37 PM
Alford went to Raiders, last I heard. I think he got cut. He's probably out of the league.</P>

Yeah, Alford never really recovered from that knee. I think he landed on the Seahawks for a little after his stint with the Raiders, but I don't think he stuck there, either.</P>

miked1958
03-02-2012, 12:08 AM

na i'm good... i'd rather keep an every down player who is constantly healthy* and can play both sides of the ball

I agree with u. With that said I think a little redo of his deal to help a few of the other guys get resigned (like Osi) would be good

giantman8493
03-02-2012, 01:18 AM

*</P>

Im talking about Joseph</P>

My bad. Thought you were talking about Austin.</P> Well i was talking about both but i said handing the keys to joseph meaning i think we all trust joseph enough to save 6 mil.

Drez
03-02-2012, 11:16 AM
Well i was talking about both but i said handing the keys to joseph meaning i think we all trust joseph enough to save 6 mil.

Seeing as LJ starts along with Canty, then you'd really be handing the keys to Austin, not LJ, as Austin would gave to come in and replace Canty's production at DT.

giantman8493
03-02-2012, 01:11 PM
Well i was talking about both but i said handing the keys to joseph meaning i think we all trust joseph enough to save 6 mil.

Seeing as LJ starts along with Canty, then you'd really be handing the keys to Austin, not LJ, as Austin would gave to come in and replace Canty's production at DT.Yeah but he won't have to have all the responsibility. We can just rely on Josephs production more.

MattMeyerBud
03-02-2012, 01:21 PM

...and it was in college

It is not JUST because he is over paid. Its that he is overpaid AND not even the best DT on the team. JOSEPH! Austin does not have to do everything by himself. besides we will probably sign a vet dt for cheap if we cut canty anyway. so its not like we will be having two guys that don't know what there doing. Not to mention i think we have a great d-line coach.

i'll admit that Joseph may be a tad better in the run but hes no where near as good in the pass, isn't a leader, and can't play DE like Canty can

When we don't cut Canty it will essentially prove that the coaches and fron office DONT agree with your assessment

MattMeyerBud
03-02-2012, 01:24 PM

Seeing as LJ starts along with Canty, then you'd really be handing the keys to Austin, not LJ, as Austin would gave to come in and replace Canty's production at DT.Yeah but he won't have to have all the responsibility. We can just rely on Josephs production more.

lol what the hell does that mena

no our WHOLE defense relies on our defensive lines production as a whole.. Its why we don't pound money into linebackers...

If Austin was as impressive and far along as you suggest he was we wouldn't of resigned Rocky Bernard

giantman8493
03-02-2012, 04:44 PM

no our WHOLE defense relies on our defensive lines production as a whole.. Its why we don't pound money into linebackers...

If Austin was as impressive and far along as you suggest he was we wouldn't of resigned Rocky Bernard
depth in case of injury. thats why we signed rockey.

giantman8493
03-02-2012, 04:46 PM
What??!! show me one article where it says Austin has not impressed. This guy could be great!!!When he last played a snap of football, which was over 2 YEARS AGO he was a nasty pass rushing beast of a DT, but that was 2 years ago.* At this point I dont expect anything from him, I would love for him to come out and not miss a beat, but cmon lets be real

...and it was in college

i'll admit that Joseph may be a tad better in the run but hes no where near as good in the pass, isn't a leader, and can't play DE like Canty can

When we don't cut Canty it will essentially prove that the coaches and fron office DONT agree with your assessment
We will at least try to make him take a pay cut which will prove my assesment is valid. He is still a good player. just the diffrence beetween him and our number 2 is not worth 6 mil.

MattMeyerBud
03-02-2012, 05:19 PM

...and it was in college

We will at least try to make him take a pay cut which will prove my assesment is valid. He is still a good player. just the diffrence beetween him and our number 2 is not worth 6 mil.

I doubt it

may ask him to restructure, which would lessen his cap number but actually get paid more guaranteed money

MattMeyerBud
03-02-2012, 05:22 PM

We signed him so he could alternate in and play

we signed Kennedy for backup...

giantman8493
03-03-2012, 01:20 PM

...and it was in college

I doubt it

may ask him to restructure, which would lessen his cap number but actually get paid more guaranteed money
why not? I don't think canty is that good. I recall seeing him blown off the ball a few times.

BlueSanta
03-03-2012, 01:22 PM

We signed him so he could alternate in and play

we signed Kennedy for backup...

Really? we signed a alternate to the biggest contract on the defense?