PDA

View Full Version : Maybe the OL is fine?

buddy33
02-22-2012, 04:20 PM
I know they need some improvements, but I believe in Reese and his ability to draft good players. I think Beatty is a fine LT and will be an upgrade at the position next year as long as he stays healthy. I think I was hard on Baas this year but he seemed to get better at the end. Maybe a full training camp and no injuries will help him out. They can plug Boothe in just about anywhere on the OL and he can help.

Then there is Petrus and Brewer. We do t know much about Petrus, and even less about Brewer. At least we saw some signs from Petrus. He missed a few assignments, but he also seemed to take it hard. He seems like he is willing to work very hard to get it right. All I know about Brewer is that he is huge. Could he be their future RT?

Just saying, maybe they already have a solid OL. Just have to move them around.

tonyt830
02-22-2012, 05:13 PM
I think Flaherty is a very good O-line coach and will get the most out of our guys. But I still think they will look at a T somewhere in the draft, even if they are happy with Brewer's progress and Beatty being the LT of the future. It couldnt hurt to have a little competition.</P>

</P>

I think Baas will improve further with a full offseason of OTAs, camps and preseason.</P>

</P>

</P>

Boothe has done well at G and C, and I think like Baas, Petrus too will continue to improve.</P>

Flip Empty
02-22-2012, 05:58 PM
Eli was taking awful snaps for most of the season, so getting someone who can actually play the position would be nice.

ibbill
02-22-2012, 06:01 PM
I know they need some improvements, but I believe in Reese and his ability to draft good players. I think Beatty is a fine LT and will be an upgrade at the position next year as long as he stays healthy. I think I was hard on Baas this year but he seemed to get better at the end. Maybe a full training camp and no injuries will help him out. They can plug Boothe in just about anywhere on the OL and he can help.

Then there is Petrus and Brewer. We do t know much about Petrus, and even less about Brewer. At least we saw some signs from Petrus. He missed a few assignments, but he also seemed to take it hard. He seems like he is willing to work very hard to get it right. All I know about Brewer is that he is huge. Could he be their future RT?

I would suggest you hit the nail on the head. We do look good there.

Mod_C
02-22-2012, 06:41 PM

I'm a little concerned about Diehl and McKenzie but not end of the world worried. The more they play together the better then will become. What the draft produces wioll give us a better hint as well as who the let test the free agent waters.

buddy33
02-22-2012, 09:21 PM

I'm a little concerned about Diehl and McKenzie but not end of the world worried.* The more they play together the better then will become.* What the draft produces wioll give us a better hint as well as who the let test the free agent waters.

I really like both of those guys but they where bad this year. I know the won the Super Bowl, but that does not mean the OL was good and the T's where a big problem. Also, there is the matter of the cap. If they both come back for less I'd say sure, take them back. Maybe they dig deep and play better for their last year or two in the league.

myles2424
02-22-2012, 09:25 PM
Needs an upgrade regardless, as well as our LBs

Giants10Joe
02-22-2012, 09:49 PM
While I would like an upgrade at Oline, I wouldn't mind if we went into next season with the starters as is. However, our oline is getting old, particularly Diehl and McKenzie (an FA). Even if we don't take a 2012 starter in the first round or 2, we will need to draft some guys who can start in a year or 2. You can never have enough depth on the oline at because it seems offensive lineman get old overnight. With 5 guys, there's almost always going to be someone hurt or under-performing or nearing retirement.

myles2424
02-22-2012, 09:54 PM
While I would like an upgrade at Oline, I wouldn't mind if we went into next season with the starters as is. However, our oline is getting old, particularly Diehl and McKenzie (an FA). Even if we don't take a 2012 starter in the first round or 2, we will need to draft some guys who can start in a year or 2. You can never have enough depth on the oline at because it seems offensive lineman get old overnight. With 5 guys, there's almost always going to be someone hurt or under-performing or nearing retirement.
rookies are usually never ready to start as is, therefore we will be going into the season with the same starters,perhaps a few adjustments

buddy33
02-22-2012, 10:29 PM
Yeah, but Beatty, Petrus, and Brewer will not be rookies next season. Beatty started the season as the starting LT before he was injured, Petrus has had some opportunities, and Brewer has at least practiced with the team for the entire season.

What about if the OL looked like this? Beatty, Boothe, Baas, Snee, and Brewer. Have Petrus available to fill in and maybe bring Diehl or KMac back as depth.

JJC7301
02-22-2012, 11:21 PM
Yeah, but Beatty, Petrus, and Brewer will not be rookies next season. Beatty started the season as the starting LT before he was injured, Petrus has had some opportunities, and Brewer has at least practiced with the team for the entire season.

What about if the OL looked like this? Beatty, Boothe, Baas, Snee, and Brewer. Have Petrus available to fill in and maybe bring Diehl or KMac back as depth.
+1. Agree with your assessment 100%.

Spedracer
02-23-2012, 07:00 AM
I believe the Giants will be targeting a Tackle at some point of the draft but there may not be one of value at the 32nd pick. In that case I figure they will look for BPA looking particularly at DB LB or DL.

I thought T/G James Brown from Troy looked exceptional at the Senior Bowl and he will be a late round sleeper.

nygsb42champs
02-23-2012, 07:57 AM
I disagree about Beatty. To me he is just not physical enough.

Redeyejedi
02-23-2012, 08:00 AM
Giants know they have issues at tackle.The Giants wanted a tackle in the last draft the guys they wanted happened to be taken in the first 2 rounds. If there high on a tackle early they will take one.

SweetZombieJesus
02-23-2012, 08:03 AM
Diehl is one of the oldest players on the team (drafted in 2003) and at times has been terrible at both spots along the line. That leaves KMac (drafted in 2001 by the Jets) and Snee (2004 but let's face it he's coach's Son in Law and probably our best player on the line).

Baas was terrible most of the time.

Snee is the only one who deserves to stay. Any others we hold over should be spare parts.

If you're feeling good about the line, it is a miracle we won a SB with them but they couldn't open holes for fricking Brandon Jacobs up the gut. Bradshaw's athleticism is the only thing that produced a running game. And we could never pick up 3rd and 1 or 4th and 1. So our run game was hampered by the line, and the pass protection was mediocre (Eli got destroyed in San Francisco).

IMO blow up the line, and reconstitute it with some of the new guys and draft picks and free agents. It's #1 priority IMO.

buddy33
02-23-2012, 08:08 AM
See, I do like Beatty. The only concern I have with him, and it's a big one, is his durability.

I know mocks are not the tell all of the draft and a lot of things can happen between now and then, but I don't see any OL's projected around the 32nd pick.

Kruunch
02-23-2012, 08:15 AM
I think part of the issues with the Oline this year was a combination of no off-season and new parts. We have had the same Oline for 5 years. This year we started a new LT, and a new Center as well as sliding our old LT to LG (no longer his natural position).

Assuming that KMac will be another peice that leaves this year (FA) we have a potential RT in Brewer with no backup in place. On that alone, we would need to draft or FA a RT.

At the Guard position we're solid with Snee but LG is a question mark in my mind but we have suitable depth there between Diehl, Boothe and Petrus. I'm fairly certain Beatty will start at LT next year.

So there ya go ... a RT candidate to either start or for depth is needed. Possibly a Guard if Diehl becomes a cap casualty (although I doubt he will since he lends depth to both Tackle and Guard).

Kruunch
02-23-2012, 08:18 AM
See, I do like Beatty. The only concern I have with him, and it's a big one, is his durability.

I know mocks are not the tell all of the draft and a lot of things can happen between now and then, but I don't see any OL's projected around the 32nd pick.

Plenty of Guards will be available at #32 (Zeitler, Osmete, Washington, etc ...).

Tackles are a bit sketchier at that pick and most likely you'll find better value in the 3rd or 4th rounds there.