PDA

View Full Version : Linebackers.......

myles2424
02-22-2012, 11:10 PM
Ok it's no secret we've all been waiting on a game changing captain of the D LB......
There's a few interesting OLBs, but most seem to be WLBs to me.....other than Kuechly,I'm not to excited about any of the MLbs....
Who do you think can play the middle? Who can play SLB and be a every down LB?
Here's a lost off the top of my head, id like to see a list in order of who you think would fit in our system & at which spot....

1.Kuechly
2.Brown
3.Burfict
4.Ronell Lewis
5.Donta hightower
6.lavonte David
7.Bobby Wagner
8.Sean spence
9.tank carder
10.Danny trevathan

Feel free to add anyone I've forgotten....

Spizi
02-23-2012, 01:16 AM
it would be sick if brown could somehow turn into a MLB. He's almost the same size as Patrick Willis and mike mayock thinks he could run a 4.35!!

myles2424
02-23-2012, 04:33 AM
it would be sick if brown could somehow turn into a MLB. He's almost the same size as Patrick Willis and mike mayock thinks he could run a 4.35!! based on that alone I see some team taking him by 25ish

tonyt830
02-23-2012, 07:24 AM
I saw a mock somewhere that shows Brown going to the Titans and playing the Will position.

I hope Goff can come backstrong. I know they say it takes 2 years to be back to full strength in most cases when it comes to knee surgeries.

Redeyejedi
02-23-2012, 08:44 AM
it would be sick if brown could somehow turn into a MLB. He's almost the same size as Patrick Willis and mike mayock thinks he could run a 4.35!!He is the softest LB in the draft and cant tackle

Raptor22
02-23-2012, 09:44 AM
it would be sick if brown could somehow turn into a MLB. He's almost the same size as Patrick Willis and mike mayock thinks he could run a 4.35!!He is the softest LB in the draft and cant tackle

But t3h 4o!

Personally, I'm fine with them not taking a linebacker at all. I think they've got a solid group of young linebackers now.

However, these are the guys I like:

Luke Kuechly (best LB in the draft, but not the best athlete. If he doesn't have a good combine, I think he'll fall)
Bobby Wagner (great football player, but probably too small to be a Giants draft pick)
Audie Cole (raw, but he flows well, and at 6'4" with LONG arms he's a prototypical Giants draft choice)
Travis Lewis (Great linebacker, but he's been nagged by injuries)
Tank Carder (Athletically limited, but he's a solid football player)

Redeyejedi
02-23-2012, 10:22 AM
I think James Michael Johnson will be a solid NFL Starter and can be had late 3rd through-late 4th. I like Williams and Boley as the Nickel LB's. I really dont think they need to spend a high pick on an Inside LB. If Goff is signed dont think they need 1 at all.

GiantPride27
02-23-2012, 11:33 AM
1st V.Burfict - Luke Kuechly - Donta HighTower - zach brown

2nd - lavonte david - ronell lewis

3rd - James Michael Johnson - bobby wagner

Kruunch
02-23-2012, 11:37 AM
Ok it's no secret we've all been waiting on a game changing captain of the D LB......
There's a few interesting OLBs, but most seem to be WLBs to me.....other than Kuechly,I'm not to excited about any of the MLbs....
Here's a lost off the top of my head, id like to see a list in order of who you think would fit in our system & at which spot....

1.Kuechly
2.Brown
3.Burfict
4.Ronell Lewis
5.Donta hightower
6.lavonte David
7.Bobby Wagner
8.Sean spence
9.tank carder
10.Danny trevathan

Feel free to add anyone I've forgotten....

Kuechly is the only one out of that list that I like. Basically if they can't drop back in coverage I don't want them.

Problem with drafting a MLB from college these days, is that (in most cases) a college MLB is a typical MLB if a decade ago. Stocky, run stuffing thumper. However the NFL paradigm of offense is (and has) changed so much that an MLB has to be able to drop back into coverage (C2 and T2 defenses being the most prolific used in the NFL today).

Hence I think you'll see the classic WILL become the model for all LBers with the exception of the 3-4 OLB pass rusher.

P.S. - In that capacity, I love Keenan Robinson in the 4th.

Shockeyitus
02-23-2012, 12:06 PM
Ok it's no secret we've all been waiting on a game changing captain of the D LB...... There's a few interesting OLBs, but most seem to be WLBs to me.....other than Kuechly,I'm not to excited about any of the MLbs.... Who do you think can play the middle? Who can play SLB and be a every down LB? Here's a lost off the top of my head, id like to see a list in order of who you think would fit in our system &amp; at which spot.... 1.Kuechly 2.Brown 3.Burfict 4.Ronell Lewis 5.Donta hightower 6.lavonte David 7.Bobby Wagner 8.Sean spence 9.tank carder 10.Danny trevathan Feel free to add anyone I've forgotten....</P>

Based off pure football IQ and athletic ability... Sean Spence is a must get. If he falls to us in round 3, I would be extremely pleased if we selected him. Always around the ball!</P>

critters
02-23-2012, 03:35 PM
MLBs:
Donta Hightower (Alabama) is my #1 LB in this draft (not even considering Kuechly or Upshaw who will be long gone). I understand those questioning how he would fit in our system though. I can't say he'd be great at dropping into coverage but he brings a lot to the table that I like. He could also play DE in a 4-3 and get the job done. I also think his coverage is better than people think. He didn't come out on 3rd and long at Alabama.

Jerry Franklin (Arkansas) is a guy that I like because of his versatility but not a guy I'm necessarily hoping we get but have my eyes on him for the combine/pro day. He could play OLB, MLB or DE.

Demario Davis (Arkansas State) Love this kid and we could get him late. One of my top sleepers.... dude would be great in our system. Played OLB but I think he would be a great fit in the middle for us. He played MLB in the senior bowl and held his own.

Chris Marve (Vandy) smaller guy but overachieves. Smart player as well just needs to do better at getting off blocks. Looked good in coverage and against the run when I watched him play.

OLBs:

Danny Trevathan (tackle machine in the best conference in CFB)
Sean Spence (always around the ball. Not big but gets it done)
Keenan Robinson
Lavonte David
Jerrell Harris (majorly under the radar because of the competition in front of him at Alabama and because he found his way into the coach's doghouse. He was a 5* player and is loaded with athleticism. We could probably get him in the 6th round. He was a force against the option in the BCSCG and was a great special teams player. Just seems like the kind of guy that the Giants could turn into a great role player)

pica01
02-23-2012, 03:57 PM
I'm stunned.What does Chase Blackburn gotta do to get some love from you guys?He's my MLB the next 2 years while the 4 young lb's we have develope.Not to mention he's our best special team player.An everydown MLB?Well,Blackburn's interceptions of Rodger's and Brady 50 yards downfield were pretty impressive.His average of 10 tackles per game after returning cold turkey.Not good enough?That fumble return to the 4?Game changer.Maybe he's not Ray lewis in his prime,but he's solid and was a godsend who turned this D around.We have a leader and gamechanger already at MLB.His name is Chase Blackburn.We drew an inside strait when he returned.Now you want to fold?Comeon guys,give Blackburn some love.

lawl
02-23-2012, 06:53 PM
Not interested in a linebacker in the first 2 rounds.

myles2424
02-24-2012, 03:05 PM

But t3h 4o!

Personally, I'm fine with them not taking a linebacker at all. I think they've got a solid group of young linebackers now.

However, these are the guys I like:

Luke Kuechly (best LB in the draft, but not the best athlete. If he doesn't have a good combine, I think he'll fall)
Bobby Wagner (great football player, but probably too small to be a Giants draft pick)
Audie Cole (raw, but he flows well, and at 6'4" with LONG arms he's a prototypical Giants draft choice)
Travis Lewis (Great linebacker, but he's been nagged by injuries)
Tank Carder (Athletically limited, but he's a solid football player)
isn't bobby Wagner 6'1 240?

myles2424
02-24-2012, 03:09 PM
I think James Michael Johnson will be a solid NFL Starter and can be had late 3rd through-late 4th. I like Williams and Boley as the Nickel LB's. I really dont think they need to spend a high pick on an Inside LB. If Goff is signed dont think they need 1 at all. if goff is resigned we don't need a lb?
Goff has always been average & now he's coming off IR...and we literally have no SLB

lawl
02-24-2012, 06:22 PM
I think James Michael Johnson will be a solid NFL Starter and can be had late 3rd through-late 4th. I like Williams and Boley as the Nickel LB's. I really dont think they need to spend a high pick on an Inside LB. If Goff is signed dont think they need 1 at all. if goff is resigned we don't need a lb?
Goff has always been average & now he's coming off IR...and we literally have no SLB

Kiwi is and will be our slb.

We have two 3 down linebackers and goff is a good enough 2 down linebacker.

It doesn't really matter who plays linebacker.

nycsportzfan
02-24-2012, 07:00 PM
I think James Michael Johnson will be a solid NFL Starter and can be had late 3rd through-late 4th. I like Williams and Boley as the Nickel LB's. I really dont think they need to spend a high pick on an Inside LB. If Goff is signed dont think they need 1 at all. if goff is resigned we don't need a lb? Goff has always been average &amp; now he's coming off IR...and we literally have no SLB Goff was above Avg the yr before this past season, and was ready to really explode before the injury... I'm not saying we shoulden't draft a LB if the Value is there, but if its not, then we should by all means re-sign John Goff, and let him continue to be a run thumping force...

myles2424
02-24-2012, 08:16 PM
I think James Michael Johnson will be a solid NFL Starter and can be had late 3rd through-late 4th. I like Williams and Boley as the Nickel LB's. I really dont think they need to spend a high pick on an Inside LB. If Goff is signed dont think they need 1 at all. if goff is resigned we don't need a lb? Goff has always been average & now he's coming off IR...and we literally have no SLB Goff was above Avg the yr before this past season, and was ready to really* explode before the injury...* I'm not saying we shoulden't draft a LB if the Value is there, but if its not, then we should by all means re-sign John Goff, and let him continue to be a run thumping force... goff was above average? I must be missing something ....

myles2424
02-25-2012, 08:13 PM
Idk if this has been posted.....

But some LBs checking bigger than expected.....

Zach brown- 6'1 244
Lavonte David- 6'1 233
Sean spence- 5'11 231

I see this helping them....

Zach brown with the added size & if he maitains speed will be a 1st round lock IMO...

Lavonte David- seen as a mid 2nd round prospect, if he has a solid combine, any chances on him going in the 1st? He's a beast

jomo
02-25-2012, 08:35 PM
I think James Michael Johnson will be a solid NFL Starter and can be had late 3rd through-late 4th. I like Williams and Boley as the Nickel LB's. I really dont think they need to spend a high pick on an Inside LB. If Goff is signed dont think they need 1 at all. if goff is resigned we don't need a lb? Goff has always been average &amp; now he's coming off IR...and we literally have no SLB Goff was above Avg the yr before this past season, and was ready to really explode before the injury... I'm not saying we shoulden't draft a LB if the Value is there, but if its not, then we should by all means re-sign John Goff, and let him continue to be a run thumping force... goff was above average? I must be missing something ....I am missing the same thing.

tonyt830
02-25-2012, 08:36 PM
Idk if this has been posted..... But some LBs checking bigger than expected..... Zach brown- 6'1 244 Lavonte David- 6'1 233 Sean spence- 5'11 231 I see this helping them.... Zach brown with the added size &amp; if he maitains speed will be a 1st round lock IMO... Lavonte David- seen as a mid 2nd round prospect, if he has a solid combine, any chances on him going in the 1st? He's a beastLike you said, if Brown maintains his speed at 244, then I think he will be a 1st rd selection.</P>

</P>

Actually from what I have read and seen in some games, I think all 3 will be more of the Will backer in the NFL. But in todays NFL with the pass happy offenses, LBs like the 3 you listed are what you want.</P>

myles2424
02-25-2012, 08:47 PM
Idk if this has been posted..... But some LBs checking bigger than expected..... Zach brown- 6'1 244 Lavonte David- 6'1 233 Sean spence- 5'11 231 I see this helping them.... Zach brown with the added size & if he maitains speed will be a 1st round lock IMO... Lavonte David- seen as a mid 2nd round prospect, if he has a solid combine, any chances on him going in the 1st? He's a beastLike you said, if Brown maintains his speed at 244, then I think he will be a 1st rd selection.</P>

*</P>

Actually from what I have read and seen in some games, I think all 3 will be more of the Will backer in the NFL.* But in todays NFL with the pass happy offenses, LBs like the 3 you listed are what you want.</P> lavonte david & Sean spence, I'm a little surprised haven't got more hype on the boards......although our 1st may be a little early & the won't last until our 2nd, these two guys are beasts.......

Spence 5'11 & David 6'1, but I don't see that as much a problem, they both could use a extra 5-8 lbs putting them closer to 240....

A fast,athletic, 3 down Beast at LB would be amazing...

Voldamort
02-25-2012, 09:25 PM
it would be sick if brown could somehow turn into a MLB. He's almost the same size as Patrick Willis and mike mayock thinks he could run a 4.35!! CAN HE HIT LIKE Patrick willis?

Redeyejedi
02-25-2012, 09:34 PM
it would be sick if brown could somehow turn into a MLB. He's almost the same size as Patrick Willis and mike mayock thinks he could run a 4.35!! CAN HE HIT LIKE Patrick willis?He doesnt tackle or have instincts like him

Redeyejedi
02-25-2012, 10:02 PM
<SPAN class="vm-video-title-container yt-uix-tooltip" __yt_uid_key="1">Luke Kuechly vs Clemson 2011 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jyoY1ildmg)</SPAN></P>

<SPAN class="vm-video-title-container yt-uix-tooltip" __yt_uid_key="1">Just put it up.This is a good one .Good amount of pass coverage</SPAN></P>

heavyhitter
02-25-2012, 10:15 PM
it would be sick if brown could somehow turn into a MLB. He's almost the same size as Patrick Willis and mike mayock thinks he could run a 4.35!! based on that alone I see some team taking him by 25ishHe probably can/will run in the high 4.3's, low 4.4's. Zach Brown is a freakish athlete but highly overrated football prospect.

heavyhitter
02-25-2012, 10:21 PM
it would be sick if brown could somehow turn into a MLB. He's almost the same size as Patrick Willis and mike mayock thinks he could run a 4.35!! CAN HE HIT LIKE Patrick willis?He doesnt tackle or have instincts like himC'mon fellas, your putting Patrick Willis in the same company as Zach Brown? C'mon man

Redeyejedi
02-25-2012, 10:23 PM
it would be sick if brown could somehow turn into a MLB. He's almost the same size as Patrick Willis and mike mayock thinks he could run a 4.35!! CAN HE HIT LIKE Patrick willis?He doesnt tackle or have instincts like himC'mon fellas, your putting Patrick Willis in the same company as Zach Brown? C'mon manIm not Brown is a way better athlete then Football player

heavyhitter
02-25-2012, 10:27 PM
I think James Michael Johnson will be a solid NFL Starter and can be had late 3rd through-late 4th. I like Williams and Boley as the Nickel LB's. I really dont think they need to spend a high pick on an Inside LB. If Goff is signed dont think they need 1 at all. if goff is resigned we don't need a lb? Goff has always been average & now he's coming off IR...and we literally have no SLB Goff was above Avg the yr before this past season, and was ready to really* explode before the injury...* I'm not saying we shoulden't draft a LB if the Value is there, but if its not, then we should by all means re-sign John Goff, and let him continue to be a run thumping force... goff was above average? I must be missing something ....I am missing the same thing.+1, Goff was never an "above average" LB.

Raptor22
02-25-2012, 10:52 PM
I think James Michael Johnson will be a solid NFL Starter and can be had late 3rd through-late 4th. I like Williams and Boley as the Nickel LB's. I really dont think they need to spend a high pick on an Inside LB. If Goff is signed dont think they need 1 at all. if goff is resigned we don't need a lb? Goff has always been average &amp; now he's coming off IR...and we literally have no SLB Goff was above Avg the yr before this past season, and was ready to really explode before the injury... I'm not saying we shoulden't draft a LB if the Value is there, but if its not, then we should by all means re-sign John Goff, and let him continue to be a run thumping force... goff was above average? I must be missing something ....I am missing the same thing.+1, Goff was never an "above average" LB.

When it came to stuffing the run, which was/is Goff's job in this defense, 2010 Goff was in the top-5 in the league.

His biggest problem was dropping in coverage, a problem it looked like he had rectified in preseason (if you all remember, Goff was dropping into coverage very smoothly).

Also, I disagree that we don't have a SLB. Greg Jones was a natural SAM in college, as was Mark Herzlich. Considering the SAM and MIKE 'backers are part-time positions in this defense (as it stands now. Luke Kuechly, a 100% Herzlich, or Audie Cole (or another like one of them, I don't feel like typing out a bunch of names) could change that, and reduce the amount of snaps in the nickle), between Jones, Goff, Herz, and Kiwi (and Adrian Tracy), I think they can man all 3 linebacker positions just fine.

Might not be stacked with all-pros, but considering what they had put up almost historic numbers against some of the best offenses in history, I'm not concerned.

heavyhitter
02-26-2012, 01:44 AM
I think James Michael Johnson will be a solid NFL Starter and can be had late 3rd through-late 4th. I like Williams and Boley as the Nickel LB's. I really dont think they need to spend a high pick on an Inside LB. If Goff is signed dont think they need 1 at all. if goff is resigned we don't need a lb? Goff has always been average &amp; now he's coming off IR...and we literally have no SLB Goff was above Avg the yr before this past season, and was ready to really explode before the injury... I'm not saying we shoulden't draft a LB if the Value is there, but if its not, then we should by all means re-sign John Goff, and let him continue to be a run thumping force... goff was above average? I must be missing something ....I am missing the same thing.+1, Goff was never an "above average" LB.
<font size="3">When it came to stuffing the run, which was/is Goff's job in this defense, 2010 Goff was in the top-5 in the league.

Also, I disagree that we don't have a SLB. Greg Jones was a natural SAM in college</font>
http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z46/kcochran777/SMH.gif

Spizi
02-26-2012, 01:49 AM
it would be sick if brown could somehow turn into a MLB. He's almost the same size as Patrick Willis and mike mayock thinks he could run a 4.35!! CAN HE HIT LIKE Patrick willis?He doesnt tackle or have instincts like himC'mon fellas, your putting Patrick Willis in the same company as Zach Brown? C'mon manIm not Brown is a way better athlete then Football player

So was JPP.... how'd that turn out? just sayin.

Everyone knows Reese loves defensive athletic specimens in the first so I wouldn't rule out Brown even though he isn't a great football player right now. he is still a solid football player so don't take that away from him.

myles2424
02-26-2012, 02:19 AM
I think James Michael Johnson will be a solid NFL Starter and can be had late 3rd through-late 4th. I like Williams and Boley as the Nickel LB's. I really dont think they need to spend a high pick on an Inside LB. If Goff is signed dont think they need 1 at all. if goff is resigned we don't need a lb? Goff has always been average & now he's coming off IR...and we literally have no SLB Goff was above Avg the yr before this past season, and was ready to really* explode before the injury...* I'm not saying we shoulden't draft a LB if the Value is there, but if its not, then we should by all means re-sign John Goff, and let him continue to be a run thumping force... goff was above average? I must be missing something ....I am missing the same thing.+1, Goff was never an "above average" LB.

When it came to stuffing the run, which was/is Goff's job in this defense, 2010 Goff was in the top-5 in the league.

His biggest problem was dropping in coverage, a problem it looked like he had rectified in preseason (if you all remember, Goff was dropping into coverage very smoothly).

Also, I disagree that we don't have a SLB. Greg Jones was a natural SAM in college, as was Mark Herzlich. Considering the SAM and MIKE 'backers are part-time positions in this defense (as it stands now. Luke Kuechly, a 100% Herzlich, or Audie Cole (or another like one of them, I don't feel like typing out a bunch of names) could change that, and reduce the amount of snaps in the nickle), between Jones, Goff, Herz, and Kiwi (and Adrian Tracy), I think they can man all 3 linebacker positions just fine.

Might not be stacked with all-pros, but considering what they had put up almost historic numbers against some of the best offenses in history, I'm not concerned.

regardless of wishful thinking......you should always look to upgrade your weaker positions & nobody can argue that our LBs are a strong point.....

heavyhitter
02-26-2012, 03:18 AM

Everyone knows Reese loves defensive athletic specimens in the first so I wouldn't rule out Brown even though he isn't a great football player right now. he is still a solid football player so don't take that away from him.<font size="2">I don't think the Giants have Zach Brown rated as high as other teams would on their Big Board. As far as the JPP talk, I was talking about him before anybody on here even much knew who he was. Not trying to toot my own horn, just saying. If these Mods could go back and bring those threads up that would be awesome. I'm far from an analyst or scout like some people on here but JPP was no secret down here in Florida. I guess I just got lucky when I started calling him out and making numerous threads on him. I really took notice of JPP when USF played FSU up in Tallahassee. The f**** guy was unstoppable that day. Then TC was down here for his Pro Day &amp; seemed to be really into him. I think a couple weeks after that, JPP got an invite from the Giants for either a personal workout or interview (can't remember). <span style="font-weight: bold;">Remember this much, when TC shows up,</span> it's means something and<span style="font-weight: bold;"> it's for real.</span></font>

Redeyejedi
02-26-2012, 09:12 AM
it would be sick if brown could somehow turn into a MLB. He's almost the same size as Patrick Willis and mike mayock thinks he could run a 4.35!! CAN HE HIT LIKE Patrick willis?He doesnt tackle or have instincts like himC'mon fellas, your putting Patrick Willis in the same company as Zach Brown? C'mon manIm not Brown is a way better athlete then Football player So was JPP.... how'd that turn out? just sayin. Everyone knows Reese loves defensive athletic specimens in the first so I wouldn't rule out Brown even though he isn't a great football player right now. he is still a solid football player so don't take that away from him. He cant get of blocks and he doesnt tackle well. He is great if your able to keep him clean.

Spizi
02-26-2012, 11:37 AM
it would be sick if brown could somehow turn into a MLB. He's almost the same size as Patrick Willis and mike mayock thinks he could run a 4.35!! CAN HE HIT LIKE Patrick willis?He doesnt tackle or have instincts like himC'mon fellas, your putting Patrick Willis in the same company as Zach Brown? C'mon manIm not Brown is a way better athlete then Football player So was JPP.... how'd that turn out? just sayin. Everyone knows Reese loves defensive athletic specimens in the first so I wouldn't rule out Brown even though he isn't a great football player right now. he is still a solid football player so don't take that away from him.* He cant get of blocks and he doesnt tackle well. He is great if your able to keep him clean.

With LJ, Canty, JPP, and Tuck in front of him, he has the potential to be exactly that: great. He may not be a GREAT tackler, but he did rack up 105 tackles this year, 3 INTs, 13.5 TFL, 5.5 sacks, 4 PDs, and 3 FFs. That's pretty damn good for a guy who is considered more of an athlete than a polished football player.

All I'm saying is that he seems like a Reese pick
-Big
-Atheltic
-Potential

Voldamort
02-26-2012, 11:40 AM

1.Kuechly
2.Brown
3.Burfict
4.Ronell Lewis
5.Donta hightower
6.lavonte David
7.Bobby Wagner
8.Sean spence
9.tank carder
10.Danny trevathan

Feel free to add anyone I've forgotten....The list is nice,can they start right now?

nycsportzfan
02-26-2012, 03:09 PM
<FONT size=3>When it came to stuffing the run, which was/is Goff's job in this defense, 2010 Goff was in the top-5 in the league.

Also, I disagree that we don't have a SLB. Greg Jones was a natural SAM in college</FONT>
http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z46/kcochran777/SMH.gif Goff was one of the absoulute best LB's in football against the run, and even though hes not that good against the pass, he still made a few nice plays against the pass every once in awhile.. 80tackle 1ff 1fr 1sack 7tfl 2pd is pretty darn solid...

PIERCEnumber58rules
02-26-2012, 06:51 PM
I'm stunned.What does Chase Blackburn gotta do to get some love from you guys?He's my MLB the next 2 years while the 4 young lb's we have develope.Not to mention he's our best special team player.An everydown MLB?Well,Blackburn's interceptions of Rodger's and Brady 50 yards downfield were pretty impressive.His average of 10 tackles per game after returning cold turkey.Not good enough?That fumble return to the 4?Game changer.Maybe he's not Ray lewis in his prime,but he's solid and was a godsend who turned this D around.We have a leader and gamechanger already at MLB.His name is Chase Blackburn.We drew an inside strait when he returned.Now you want to fold?Comeon guys,give Blackburn some love.

I love Blackburn! But I wouldn't be opposed to drafting Hightower @ 32 to groom for 2013. The dude looks like an absolute beast. He doesn't tackle, he inflicts pain!

Redeyejedi
02-26-2012, 07:20 PM
I thought that Kuechly vid against Clemson would bring some chatter. Showed a lack of athleticism in pass coverage

DownWitJPP
02-26-2012, 07:33 PM

Everyone knows Reese loves defensive athletic specimens in the first so I wouldn't rule out Brown even though he isn't a great football player right now. he is still a solid football player so don't take that away from him.<font size="2">I don't think the Giants have Zach Brown rated as high as other teams would on their Big Board. As far as the JPP talk, I was talking about him before anybody on here even much knew who he was. Not trying to toot my own horn, just saying. If these Mods could go back and bring those threads up that would be awesome. I'm far from an analyst or scout like some people on here but JPP was no secret down here in Florida. I guess I just got lucky when I started calling him out and making numerous threads on him. I really took notice of JPP when USF played FSU up in Tallahassee. The f**** guy was unstoppable that day. Then TC was down here for his Pro Day & seemed to be really into him. I think a couple weeks after that, JPP got an invite from the Giants for either a personal workout or interview (can't remember). <span style="font-weight: bold;">Remember this much, when TC shows up,</span> it's means something and<span style="font-weight: bold;"> it's for real.</span></font>

i didn't know who JPP was until I saw him play Rutgers. Dude was a monster, and I remember saying who is this kid

I think our linebackers will be fine next year.

Goff / Herz / Blackburn - Mike

Boley / J. Williams - Will

Kiwi / G. Jones SAM

Paysinger - Looked good in pre-season

Sintim's time is up IMO so maybe a replacement for him

myles2424
02-26-2012, 08:49 PM
Anyone that thinks were fine at LB needs to wake up.....
The only two Lbs at this point that have earned any credit are boley & Williams, and neither did anything amazing....
Goff is average and fresh off IR...
Herz is a great story,but has to earn his spot like everyone else,the playing time he saw this year he didn't look too hot....
Blackburn,stepped up a few games...but he needs to prove himself all over again,...
Kiwi is DE...
Jones did not look good at any point this season ( I was a huge fan of his in college)
Paysinger, he looked good in preseason....most players do, end of story...
Sintim, he's done here.....

tonyt830
02-26-2012, 09:13 PM
Anyone that thinks were fine at LB needs to wake up..... The only two Lbs at this point that have earned any credit are boley &amp; Williams, and neither did anything amazing.... Goff is average and fresh off IR... Herz is a great story,but has to earn his spot like everyone else,the playing time he saw this year he didn't look too hot.... Blackburn,stepped up a few games...but he needs to prove himself all over again,... Kiwi is DE... Jones did not look good at any point this season ( I was a huge fan of his in college) Paysinger, he looked good in preseason....most players do, end of story... Sintim, he's done here.....Myles, you make some good points and I agree I have been wanting the Giants to draft or sign a top notch backer the passed 2 or 3 years. I for one mentioned that we need a true Sam backer. Kiwi is a DE moreso than a Sam backer. Now granted he is good vs the run, but is a definite liability in coverage.</P>

</P>

But Fewell likes to play that 4-2-5 D in most pass situations with Grant as a hybrid S/LB. Even if we had a true Sam backer, most likely he would be pulled out in the nickel packages. Today's NFL has evolved into a more pass first league. Its hard to find a Sam or mike backer that can play 3 downs and be effective,as compared to years passed.</P>

</P>

Another poster mentioned Hightower. I don't know if he would be a 3 down backer in the NFL. He may fit better into a 3-4 or a 2 down backer in a 4-3. Honestly I don't think Kuechly would fall to 32. I think he is as close as you can get this year in the 1st rd. And from what I read and some vids that redeye posted, Zach Brown probably would not be that guy. I think he may develop intoa solid Will backer. We have 2 of those in Boley and Williams. Who knows, may Herzlich develops further---maybe Goff bounces back from the ACL surgery. I guess we as fans will just have to wait and see what Reese and co. do</P>

Spizi
02-26-2012, 10:07 PM
Anyone that thinks were fine at LB needs to wake up..... The only two Lbs at this point that have earned any credit are boley & Williams, and neither did anything amazing.... Goff is average and fresh off IR... Herz is a great story,but has to earn his spot like everyone else,the playing time he saw this year he didn't look too hot.... Blackburn,stepped up a few games...but he needs to prove himself all over again,... Kiwi is DE... Jones did not look good at any point this season ( I was a huge fan of his in college) Paysinger, he looked good in preseason....most players do, end of story... Sintim, he's done here.....Myles, you make some good points and I agree I have been wanting the Giants to draft or sign a top notch backer the passed 2 or 3 years.* I for one mentioned that we need a true Sam backer.* Kiwi is a DE moreso than a Sam backer.* Now granted he is good vs the run, but is a definite liability in coverage.</P>

*</P>

But Fewell likes to play that 4-2-5 D in most pass situations with Grant as a hybrid S/LB.* Even if we had a true Sam backer, most likely he would be pulled out in the nickel packages.* Today's NFL has evolved into a more pass first league.* Its hard to find a Sam or mike backer that can play 3 downs and be effective,*as compared to years passed.</P>

*</P>

Another poster mentioned Hightower.* I don't know if he would be a 3 down backer in the NFL.* He may fit better into a 3-4 or a 2 down backer in a 4-3.* Honestly I don't think Kuechly would fall to 32.* I think he is as close as you can get this year in the 1st rd.* And from what I read and some vids that redeye posted, Zach Brown probably would not be that guy.* I think he may develop into*a solid Will backer.* We have 2 of those in Boley and Williams.* Who knows, may Herzlich develops further---maybe Goff bounces back from the ACL surgery.* I guess we as fans will just have to wait and see what Reese and co. do</P>

There is basically no more will and sam its just LB who can cover, LB who can cover, LB who can cover. That's why Zach Brown wouldn't be a wasted pick. How many times have you seen the giants come out in a base 4-3? it doesn't happen often...

heavyhitter
02-26-2012, 10:12 PM
<font size="3">When it came to stuffing the run, which was/is Goff's job in this defense, 2010 Goff was in the top-5 in the league.

Also, I disagree that we don't have a SLB. Greg Jones was a natural SAM in college</font>
http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z46/kcochran777/SMH.gif<font style="font-weight: bold;" size="3"> Goff was one of the absoulute best LB's in football against the run</font><font size="2">Sure he was pal</font>

myles2424
02-26-2012, 10:17 PM
Anyone that thinks were fine at LB needs to wake up..... The only two Lbs at this point that have earned any credit are boley & Williams, and neither did anything amazing.... Goff is average and fresh off IR... Herz is a great story,but has to earn his spot like everyone else,the playing time he saw this year he didn't look too hot.... Blackburn,stepped up a few games...but he needs to prove himself all over again,... Kiwi is DE... Jones did not look good at any point this season ( I was a huge fan of his in college) Paysinger, he looked good in preseason....most players do, end of story... Sintim, he's done here.....Myles, you make some good points and I agree I have been wanting the Giants to draft or sign a top notch backer the passed 2 or 3 years.* I for one mentioned that we need a true Sam backer.* Kiwi is a DE moreso than a Sam backer.* Now granted he is good vs the run, but is a definite liability in coverage.</P>

*</P>

But Fewell likes to play that 4-2-5 D in most pass situations with Grant as a hybrid S/LB.* Even if we had a true Sam backer, most likely he would be pulled out in the nickel packages.* Today's NFL has evolved into a more pass first league.* Its hard to find a Sam or mike backer that can play 3 downs and be effective,*as compared to years passed.</P>

*</P>

Another poster mentioned Hightower.* I don't know if he would be a 3 down backer in the NFL.* He may fit better into a 3-4 or a 2 down backer in a 4-3.* Honestly I don't think Kuechly would fall to 32.* I think he is as close as you can get this year in the 1st rd.* And from what I read and some vids that redeye posted, Zach Brown probably would not be that guy.* I think he may develop into*a solid Will backer.* We have 2 of those in Boley and Williams.* Who knows, may Herzlich develops further---maybe Goff bounces back from the ACL surgery.* I guess we as fans will just have to wait and see what Reese and co. do</P>

There is basically no more will and sam its just LB who can cover, LB who can cover, LB who can cover. That's why Zach Brown wouldn't be a wasted pick. How many times have you seen the giants come out in a base 4-3? it doesn't happen often... our D is set up the way it is because our lack of LBs, not because it's a great scheme...

tonyt830
02-27-2012, 08:12 AM

*</P>

*</P>

There is basically no more will and sam its just LB who can cover, LB who can cover, LB who can cover. That's why Zach Brown wouldn't be a wasted pick. How many times have you seen the giants come out in a base 4-3? it doesn't happen often...Thats why i said that Fewell uses a 4-2-5 package with Grant, for instance, as a hybrid S/LB.

Even if the Giants were to draft Brown in the 1st rd, I don't see Fewell changing that up too much.

critters
02-27-2012, 10:57 AM
I've mentioned this before, but I'll toss it out there again. The thing about Hightower is he could move to DE if we needed and still dominate. The times that he has lined up at DE he has looked like a natural. He blasts off the line and can go around an OL or through an OL. Some 4-3 teams have already approached him about playing DE.

Spizi
02-27-2012, 12:01 PM
I've mentioned this before, but I'll toss it out there again. The thing about Hightower is he could move to DE if we needed and still dominate. The times that he has lined up at DE he has looked like a natural. He blasts off the line and can go around an OL or through an OL. Some 4-3 teams have already approached him about playing DE.

Donta Hightower is Mathias Kiwanuka. we don't need another slow LB.

critters
02-27-2012, 03:01 PM

Yeah.. he's the captain, quarterback and lead tackler for the best defense in the country and he's just another slow LB. He just ran a 4.62 40 by being another slow LB.

Spizi
02-27-2012, 03:03 PM

Yeah.. he's the captain, quarterback and lead tackler for the best defense in the country and he's just another slow LB. He just ran a 4.62 40 by being another slow LB.

stiff hips... mathias kiwanuka isn't "slow" its about the stiff hips.

critters
02-27-2012, 03:10 PM

stiff hips... mathias kiwanuka isn't "slow" its about the stiff hips.

I hear ya. I think the 3 cone drill will be most important for him. He's also stated he plans to be down 10lbs at his pro day. In comparison to Mathias, DH ran a 4.62. MK ran a 4.73.

Spizi
02-27-2012, 03:14 PM
i just don't like him for the giants idk ha