Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I WANT GRUDEN (Chucky, not his brother).

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TCHOF View Post

Except that Gruden was a maniacal worker when he was a coach, putting in legendary hours.

He is still reportedly the same way ... watching tape constantly and getting little to no sleep.

There are reasons not to want Gruden, but I don't think that him being overwhelmed by the amount of work is one ....
    This I agree with. His time away from the NFL coaching ranks is what gives me the most, big time pause.
    Over 7000 posts, advanced member, joined March 2002. 1st post (as anonymous) was the day after Super Bowl 35

Comment

Originally posted by elitocruz View Post

are you kidding with his record? give me the qb's he had, then give me the in-the-tank franchises he rebuilt into champions (or near champions). Neither has sniffed anything of significance since he left. Let me save you on the QB thing; Gannon was a career backup, who he turned into an MVP. and Brad Johnson? enough said.
      You actually left a lot of qb's off the list. Griese, Simms, Garcia...George. If he's such a magician why didn't he turn any of those qb's into MVP's? So in other words if he doesn't have an MVP qb then he can't win? Those teams haven't sniffed anything of significance because their gm's suck which could happen here as well. BTW, did he not have any imput in any of those other qb's?

Comment

Originally posted by elitocruz View Post
        Not sure why, but this is the one guy out there I'd be so fired up about. Someone tell me why I'm wrong for wanting him. (Being out of the game too long isn't a reason. Vermeil was out for 20 years and came back and won it all - and he was older than Gruden when he did it).

I don't know...Tampa was a mess when he left. Partly from his input into poor draft selections and his grind on players. Gruden is a good 2-3 year coach...I don't know if I want him for the giants. He knows offense though. I would be curious if he'd want to coach in the same division as his brother.

Comment

Why is everybody so crazy about him 57-55 never developed a qb had Gannon and Garcia Johnson all journeymen.

Comment

Originally posted by onebadtiki View Post
            Why is everybody so crazy about him 57-55 never developed a qb had Gannon and Garcia Johnson all journeymen.
            He never developed Gannon??

Comment

he absolutely developed Gannon

he had far more to do with the development of Brett Favre than people know as well

the man is great with QBs

Comment

Make up your mind

he would be a breath of fresh air

a smile goes a long way in this world

Comment

Originally posted by BlueClue View Post
                  Make up your mind

he would be a breath of fresh air

a smile goes a long way in this world
                  hey not every team can have Bill Belichick ... you guys are lucky

Comment

I think he is a very bad fit. Go back and look at his departure from the Bucs. He had completely lost his players.So much so they celebrated his departure. Even if you listen to most of the guys from the 2002 Superbowl team they tell you this team was Dungy's and Kiffin's and never Gruden's. Most of them do not speak highly of him at all.

It is telling that despite him being a supposed "offensive guru" all his good teams revolved around defense. But the main reason why I do not think he would work here is he had a terrible habbit of going to the media and throwing players, front office personel, and owners under the bus. I lived in the Tampa area when he was coaching there and every day was a new quote from him in the tribune completely bashing his current team and organization. Nowadays, with social media, every quote is national news. People are acting like his not working over the last decade was his choice, it wasn't. Few teams in college or pros were actually interested because of his proclivity for finding a microphone and throwing his team under the bus. Lets not forget, he was traded from Oakland for clashing with front office there too. Gruden went public with his fued with Al Davis too. In the last few years we have seen Gruden throw his hat in the ring for multiple jobs by hinting at interest, only to not have that interest strongly reciprocated. There is a reason for this.

I think he is actually decent in the booth and should stick with it. I do not think he is a good coach. His good teams were inherited.
                    Last edited by BlueSanta; 12-06-2017, 04:10 PM.
                    sigpic

Comment

Gannon was in the league for 13 years before joining a Gruden team. Gannon's best year, the year he was MVP, was after Gruden had left. So no, I do not think Gruden developed Gannon.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by YATittle1962 View Post

he absolutely developed Gannon

he had far more to do with the development of Brett Favre than people know as well

the man is great with QBs
                        Regardless of Grudens actual suitability/chances of coaching this team I would like to see the next coach establish himself as the head honcho. I want the next coach to have a Gruden like spirit. Maybe itís deep inside but I want it to be there and I want the players to know it is there too.

Comment

Originally posted by BlueSanta View Post

Gannon was in the league for 13 years before joining a Gruden team. Gannon's best year, the year he was MVP, was after Gruden had left. So no, I do not think Gruden developed Gannon.
                          I completely disagree.

Gannon was a journeyman in the league before he got to Oakland. Under Gruden he became a top-tier starter. It is irrefutable that he developed under Gruden.

The fact that he had his best year after Gruden left is completely irrelevant to the question of whether or not Gruden developed him.

Comment

It is irrefutable that he developed under Gruden.
                            I just did refute it. The fact that Gannon was a 13 year vet and found success in Oakland had a lot more to do with the amazing talent on that team, especially at the WR position and Oline. In fact, considering the talent they had there, I would argue that team underachieved.

I do admit that Gruden's offense was a good fit for Gannon. But he was already a developed player when Gruden came to oakland. His problem was he was on a lot of bad/talentless teams prior to Oakland.
                            Last edited by BlueSanta; 12-06-2017, 04:29 PM.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by BlueSanta View Post

Gruden 100% developed Gannon

Gannon would not be remembered for much today if it was not for Gruden

as soon as Gruden got to the Raiders the first thing he did was go against the wishes of Al Davis and installed a short route scheme and a timing release QB system

a multiple option offense with receivers disguised at RBs

that was a system that Gannon fit absolutely perfectly ... It was cerebral and complicated, involving multiple check-offs and on-the-fly variations... Gannon blossomed as a player in this system with the close guidance of Gruden

Gannon threw for more than 3,800 yards in his first season in Oakland, threw for 79 touchdowns in three years working with Gruden. He became the NFL's Most Valuable Player in 2002, when he passed for almost 4,700 yards and took his team to the league's ultimate game.... all running Grudens system ... even when he was gone

Comment

Chuckie would do to our team what he did to all his victims in those movies.
                                Admit nothing. Deny everything. Make counter accusations.

Comment

Working...
                                X