Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TCHOF View Post

Based on what?
    Just by how well their defense has been over the past few years, especially this year when they started off slowly with a new lb Corp and ended up turning it around mid season. I believe he is intelligent enough considering his background in aeronautical engineering. He has coached both sides of the ball in ne. I feel he will fit well with our gm and the idea of strengthening the team in the tenches. I like that he has worked under bb for his entire professional career. Some of this is a bit based on some of my intuition as well. So I can understand other view points of there being concern that he doesn't have the experience and such. Makes sense, it's a gamble. But so is bringing in a vet coach and it not working out E.g. reeves.
    sigpic #80

Comment

Originally posted by E-Z-E View Post

Just by how well their defense has been over the past few years, especially this year when they started off slowly with a new lb Corp and ended up turning it around mid season. I believe he is intelligent enough considering his background in aeronautical engineering. He has coached both sides of the ball in ne. I feel he will fit well with our gm and the idea of strengthening the team in the tenches. I like that he has worked under bb for his entire professional career. Some of this is a bit based on some of my intuition as well. So I can understand other view points of there being concern that he doesn't have the experience and such. Makes sense, it's a gamble. But so is bringing in a vet coach and it not working out E.g. reeves.
      With Belichick being such an incredible defensive mind, it's hard for me to know how much of the Pats' defensive success to attribute to Patricia ....

Comment

With Belichick being such an incredible defensive mind, it's hard for me to know how much of the Pats' defensive success to attribute to Patricia ....
        So very true. It's hard to quantify that that for sure. I guess I've just been thinking that it's so difficult to tell who will succeed and who wont. I still don't know exactly if Ben was terrible. So many times coaches seem successful then drop off. I thought jack del Rio was a solid coach and now he's without a job. What circumstances lead to their failure? Was it him? The gm not providing the talent or depth? Same with ben... I'm interested to know what others think of that line of thought?

as for Patricia, my opinions are, of course, subjective to a degree for sure. What are your initial thoughts on who you would like as hc?
        sigpic #80

Comment

So very true. It's hard to quantify that that for sure. I guess I've just been thinking that it's so difficult to tell who will succeed and who wont. I still don't know exactly if Ben was terrible. So many times coaches seem successful then drop off. I thought jack del Rio was a solid coach and now he's without a job. What circumstances lead to their failure? Was it him? The gm not providing the talent or depth? Same with ben... I'm interested to know what others think of that line of thought?

as for Patricia, my opinions are, of course, subjective to a degree for sure. What are your initial thoughts on who you would like as hc?
          You know, it doesn't seem like the perfect candidate is out there. I have my doubts about all of them.

Patricia seems like a bright mind, but is he the CEO type, like a HC needs to be?

Comment

No, Mcadoodoo was a terrible coach. He is an offensive guy whose offense didn't work. Del Rio shouldn't have gotten fired.

Comment

You know, it doesn't seem like the perfect candidate is out there. I have my doubts about all of them.

Patricia seems like a bright mind, but is he the CEO type, like a HC needs to be?
              Yeah, i have my doubts as well. Your concerns about patricia are valid. I think those qualities you alluded to were the qualities that Ben didn't seem to have.
              sigpic #80

Comment

Originally posted by Elidagoat713 View Post

No, Mcadoodoo was a terrible coach. He is an offensive guy whose offense didn't work. Del Rio shouldn't have gotten fired.
                What parts did you think ben was bad at? Do you think his system is weak? I know green bay's offense has seemed to be more weak than previous years. Could be that dcs are finding ways to attack that style? I felt that he did a good job of taking our offense to top 10 in league. Albeit under tc. But the last two years were worrisome and ultimately cost him. I personally feel he could probably be a wade Philips type, coordinator for his career and not so good at hc.
                sigpic #80

Comment

What parts did you think ben was bad at? Do you think his system is weak? I know green bay's offense has seemed to be more weak than previous years. Could be that dcs are finding ways to attack that style? I felt that he did a good job of taking our offense to top 10 in league. Albeit under tc. But the last two years were worrisome and ultimately cost him. I personally feel he could probably be a wade Philips type, coordinator for his career and not so good at hc.
                  Honestly I was all for bringing the GB style here and if McAdoo was going to be the one to deliver that, I was all for it. I agree he could definitely get a job somewhere else as OC again. He just could not handle head coach clearly and out from under Coughlin his offense stunk so that is worrisome for him going forward. I will say that what I bolded in your post is definitely something that is starting to happen so much so that maybe I should have noticed it even back when McAdoo was initially hired as OC.

GB's offensive success these last 4-5 years seems less driven by McCarthy's system but rather Rodgers' ability to improvise at QB with his legs and buy time for his receivers/TE's/tail backs. It really started becoming evident over these last 2 seasons (I even noticed it in 2016 and one of the Giants losses was to GB and in that game Rodgers was unable to find people open a lot against us so much so that you thought he might be trigger shy but he had so much time that it didn't matter in that game) This may be why McCarthy is being a little more scrutinized recently even though Rodgers was hurt most of this year.

If you ask me what system I'd like to see implemented going forward with new head coach, it would be something that now moves away from GB's system as I do think DC's are figuring it out and McCarthy has not adjusted as much as I think he needs to. Here's what I'd like to see implemented from a team emulation standpoint in preference order as the next offensive system or a blend of any of these (considers the likelihood of having a more traditional pocket passer as the Giants QB):
                  1. New Orleans Saints
                  2. Atlanta Falcons
                  3. Pittsburgh Steelers
                  4. Los Angeles Rams
                  5. Minnesota Vikings
                  6. Detroit Lions
                  I would include the Pats in this list as #7 but didn't because I really think it is mainly all Brady and that insane pass blocking O-line he always seems to have protecting him but McDaniels has the OC job there so he must be contributing something lol.
                  Last edited by repeatchamps; 01-02-2018, 05:15 PM.
                  Over 7000 posts, advanced member, joined March 2002. 1st post (as anonymous) was the day after Super Bowl 35

Comment

I donít get why Frank Reich doesnít get more attention as a candidate.

Comment

Originally posted by repeatchamps View Post

Honestly I was all for bringing the GB style here and if McAdoo was going to be the one to deliver that, I was all for it. I agree he could definitely get a job somewhere else as OC again. He just could not handle head coach clearly and out from under Coughlin his offense stunk so that is worrisome for him going forward. I will say that what I bolded in your post is definitely something that is starting to happen so much so that maybe I should have noticed it even back when McAdoo was initially hired as OC.

GB's offensive success these last 4-5 years seems less driven by McCarthy's system but rather Rodgers' ability to improvise at QB with his legs and buy time for his receivers/TE's/tail backs. It really started becoming evident over these last 2 seasons (I even noticed it in 2016 and one of the Giants losses was to GB and in that game Rodgers was unable to find people open a lot against us so much so that you thought he might be trigger shy but he had so much time that it didn't matter in that game) This may be why McCarthy is being a little more scrutinized recently even though Rodgers was hurt most of this year.

If you ask me what system I'd like to see implemented going forward with new head coach, it would be something that now moves away from GB's system as I do think DC's are figuring it out and McCarthy has not adjusted as much as I think he needs to. Here's what I'd like to see implemented from a team emulation standpoint in preference order as the next offensive system or a blend of any of these (considers the likelihood of having a more traditional pocket passer as the Giants QB):
                      1. New Orleans Saints
                      2. Atlanta Falcons
                      3. Pittsburgh Steelers
                      4. Los Angeles Rams
                      5. Detroit Lions
                      I would include the Pats in this list as #6 but didn't because I really think it is mainly all Brady and that insane pass blocking O-line he always seems to have protecting him but McDaniels has the OC job there so he must be contributing something lol.
                      Yeah you make some interesting points that i agree with. im now curious if the way to combat the gb system was to load up on corners. Fast coverage guys. So you build to take away the 11 personel packages across the league but lack lb depth or defensive line depth.

Now that teams have built fast agile defenses to negate the gb style offense they are possibly having trouble with the tough run teams ( you have mentioned a few and id add buffalo, jax and Panthers to that list). As now these defenses dont have the style defense/players to stop that attack. Maybe that was our downfall a bit this year. Our defense was getting run over on the early downs and not setting up our pass rushers in 3rd and longs. Curious what our average 3rd and distance was that our defense faced. These are all things I've thought about, not sure if they are true but just thinking aloud.
                      sigpic #80

Comment

Yeah you make some interesting points that i agree with. im now curious if the way to combat the gb system was to load up on corners. Fast coverage guys. So you build to take away the 11 personel packages across the league but lack lb depth or defensive line depth.

Now that teams have built fast agile defenses to negate the gb style offense they are possibly having trouble with the tough run teams ( you have mentioned a few and id add buffalo, jax and Panthers to that list). As now these defenses dont have the style defense/players to stop that attack. Maybe that was our downfall a bit this year. Our defense was getting run over on the early downs and not setting up our pass rushers in 3rd and longs. Curious what our average 3rd and distance was that our defense faced. These are all things I've thought about, not sure if they are true but just thinking aloud.
                        I have thought the same things and it is definitely a valid observation imho. I would also add the Vikings to the list I posted maybe even just above Detroit. Giants interviewing Vikings OC Pat Shurmur by the way which I think would be a nice choice imho.
                        Over 7000 posts, advanced member, joined March 2002. 1st post (as anonymous) was the day after Super Bowl 35

Comment

Working...
                        X