Pat Shurmur owes Eli Manning already

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pat Shurmur owes Eli Manning already

As expected, the Giants likely told HC candidates that Eli Manning is the plan at QB for at least 1 more season. It wouldn't surprise me if its even for him to play out his contract completely.

This was likely to happen even before the Eli "benching." Ownership is hitched to the Eli cart and the young coaches do not want to deal with the complexity of that. Shurmur can't believe his luck right now.

Now, I do not think that Shurmur is a bad coach or that Eli is a bad QB. And there is nothing to say that this is a bad thing.

But it's pretty comical to me to see an org say they're planning on wholesale change and then the following happens:

1. A re-tread is hired as GM.
    2. They offer the HC job to Patricia (young, outsider) and he turns it down to go to Detroit
    3. The new HC has extremely close ties to the recently "let go" DC/Interim HC who he is likely to hire back as his DC. Spags might owe Eli big too!

John Mara is the most meddling owner in the whole NFL right now. Too bad he can't be held to account if these decisions do not work out.

On the bright side, Shurmur should be a good guy to have on staff when the next QB comes into the picture...eventually.

Originally posted by TE88 View Post
    John Mara is the most meddling owner in the whole NFL right now.
    jerry_jones.jpg

Even this guy got a good laugh out of that!

Comment

I think this has its positives. Eli has a lot left, and Gettleman built a good team in Carolina. It's funny how much of the Jags success is attributed to TC who essentially just joined his team, while Gettleman essentially built the entirety of that team in Carolina but is dubbed negatively a "retread" we should give these people a chance and we've yet to find out if this is truly the head coach. I also feel balance and rationality is a positive, Spags is a great defensive mind, if they all decide to keep him on the staff then they must feel he wasn't part of the problem last season, meaning the players didn't tune him out, just McAdoo, which thus means they will still play hard for him and therefore means the chances of this defense being like they were in 2016 is probable or at the least quite possible. Who wouldn't love that level of defensive performance?

Comment

hahahaha as i have said few times on this forum over the last month as long as John Mara is running this team it is completely screwed..

Comment

Originally posted by barran21 View Post
          hahahaha as i have said few times on this forum over the last month as long as John Mara is running this team it is completely screwed..
          It must have been humbling to be turned down, or if some reports are true, to not even be responded to.

Comment

Originally posted by nick030567 View Post
            I think this has its positives. Eli has a lot left, and Gettleman built a good team in Carolina. It's funny how much of the Jags success is attributed to TC who essentially just joined his team, while Gettleman essentially built the entirety of that team in Carolina but is dubbed negatively a "retread" we should give these people a chance and we've yet to find out if this is truly the head coach. I also feel balance and rationality is a positive, Spags is a great defensive mind, if they all decide to keep him on the staff then they must feel he wasn't part of the problem last season, meaning the players didn't tune him out, just McAdoo, which thus means they will still play hard for him and therefore means the chances of this defense being like they were in 2016 is probable or at the least quite possible. Who wouldn't love that level of defensive performance?
            The defense was bad all year and to say they didn't play hard for McAdoo but did for Spags doesn't make any sense. They finished 28th in total defense and the San Fransisco game was proof the defense had already mailed it in. I don't think Spags is what we need and if you look at the total body of work it hasn't been good at all besides 2016.

Comment

Eli is better than 3 of the 4 QB's left in the playoffs right now

Comment

Originally posted by JimFassel69 View Post
                truth

Comment

Originally posted by JimFassel69 View Post
                  Eli is better than all 4.

don't be a hater.
                  Deny everything. Admit nothing. Make counter accusations.

Comment

As expected, the Giants likely told HC candidates that Eli Manning is the plan at QB for at least 1 more season. It wouldn't surprise me if its even for him to play out his contract completely.

This was likely to happen even before the Eli "benching." Ownership is hitched to the Eli cart and the young coaches do not want to deal with the complexity of that. Shurmur can't believe his luck right now.

Now, I do not think that Shurmur is a bad coach or that Eli is a bad QB. And there is nothing to say that this is a bad thing.

But it's pretty comical to me to see an org say they're planning on wholesale change and then the following happens:

1. A re-tread is hired as GM.
                    2. They offer the HC job to Patricia (young, outsider) and he turns it down to go to Detroit
                    3. The new HC has extremely close ties to the recently "let go" DC/Interim HC who he is likely to hire back as his DC. Spags might owe Eli big too!

John Mara is the most meddling owner in the whole NFL right now. Too bad he can't be held to account if these decisions do not work out.

On the bright side, Shurmur should be a good guy to have on staff when the next QB comes into the picture...eventually.
                    I don't understand the owing part.

And the re-tread GM? Who was the GM wunderkind that we passed up? Eliot Wolff? Didn't the Packers just tell him to go take a walk.

I have my concerns about Boy Johnny's decision making, but I can't really criticize him for the GM and HC hires....

Comment

Originally posted by TCHOF View Post

I don't understand the owing part.

And the re-tread GM? Who was the GM wunderkind that we passed up? Eliot Wolff? Didn't the Packers just tell him to go take a walk.

I have my concerns about Boy Johnny's decision making, but I can't really criticize him for the GM and HC hires....
                      Iím not really criticizing...just making an observation. I have no real issues with anything that has happened so far. Didnít like what the Gettleman hire represents but Iím supportive and interested to see what happens. Shurmur, I like as a coach. We will see if he has what it takes to be a HC.

I say he owes Eli as a bit of a joke - my point being that Eli Manning being on this roster is why the Giants job fell into his lap

Comment

Iím not really criticizing...just making an observation. I have no real issues with anything that has happened so far. Didnít like what the Gettleman hire represents but Iím supportive and interested to see what happens. Shurmur, I like as a coach. We will see if he has what it takes to be a HC.

I say he owes Eli as a bit of a joke - my point being that Eli Manning being on this roster is why the Giants job fell into his lap
                        Ah, I get it. My bad ... haven't had coffee yet ....

Comment

Originally posted by YATittle1962 View Post

truth
                          Two back ups and Blake Bortles.....Not exactly high praise.
                          Deny everything. Admit nothing. Make counter accusations.

Comment

Originally posted by Morehead State View Post

Two back ups and Blake Bortles.....Not exactly high praise.
                            I don't think it was meant as praise ... just a simple fact

Comment

Clearly, the the Giants are better in the GM and coaching area going into next year. So, that's I guess the good news. I don't think anyone here is going to want Resse and Mac back.

Comment

Working...
                              X