Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boring and uninspiring: Why Giants will regret hiring Pat Shurmur

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2...rt_river_index

Excerpt: "The Giants are reportedly set to hire a new head coach. It is a name the Eagles and their fans will be very familiar with.

According to an NFL.com report, the Giants have decided to hire Minnesota Vikings offensive coordinator Pat Shurmur, a move that will reportedly become official once the Vikings are eliminated from the playoffs.

It is also a move Giants fans should be very concerned about.

Here are some thoughts on what I learned about Shurmur during his time with the Eagles, and why it is a move the Giants will likely come to regret.

LEARNED UNDER CHIP KELLY
    Shurmur was last with the Eagles from 2013 to 2015 as the offensive coordinator to former head coach Chip Kelly. Shurmur was an interesting hire for Kelly, as Kelly came into the NFL running a new-age, high-speed offense. Shurmur's football background, on the other hand, is rooted in the West Coast offense.
    Judging Shurmur based off of his time in Philadelphia is difficult, because he didn't call the plays and the Eagles ran Kelly's offense. A running joke amongst the media was that Shurmur didn't really do anything. It was Kelly's show, and Shurmur was just along for the ride.

That being said, Shurmur does deserve some of the credit for the success the offense had when he was the offensive coordinator. He also, however, deserves some of the blame for what happened next." Read More...

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

That article has no Eagles bias at all

Comment

Originally posted by RoanokeFan View Post

Excerpt: "The Giants are reportedly set to hire a new head coach. It is a name the Eagles and their fans will be very familiar with.

According to an NFL.com report, the Giants have decided to hire Minnesota Vikings offensive coordinator Pat Shurmur, a move that will reportedly become official once the Vikings are eliminated from the playoffs.

Here are some thoughts on what I learned about Shurmur during his time with the Eagles, and why it is a move the Giants will likely come to regret.

LEARNED UNDER CHIP KELLY
      Shurmur was last with the Eagles from 2013 to 2015 as the offensive coordinator to former head coach Chip Kelly. Shurmur was an interesting hire for Kelly, as Kelly came into the NFL running a new-age, high-speed offense. Shurmur's football background, on the other hand, is rooted in the West Coast offense.
      Judging Shurmur based off of his time in Philadelphia is difficult, because he didn't call the plays and the Eagles ran Kelly's offense. A running joke amongst the media was that Shurmur didn't really do anything. It was Kelly's show, and Shurmur was just along for the ride.

That being said, Shurmur does deserve some of the credit for the success the offense had when he was the offensive coordinator. He also, however, deserves some of the blame for what happened next." Read More...
      Boring and uninspiring definitely describes my view on this. But if he's the new Giants HC......Hears to "Mr. Boring and Uninspiring"..

I don't hate it like I did the McAdoo choice. But I don't like it much either. As I said...He's just a guy. I would look at this as Jim Fassel 2.0.
      Deny everything. Admit nothing. Make counter accusations.

Comment

This article is worthless based on this statement alone:

Game hasn't even been played yet but they've already lost it??

Ok....what if the Vikings win the SB? Can we then shove this article up the writer's ***?
        "Sir, I was wondering: did you happen to catch the professional football contest on television last night?"
        "No...I didn't."
        "Oh it was most exhilarating: the Giants of NY took on the Packers of Green Bay and in the end the Giants triumphed by kicking an oblong ball made of pigskin through a big H. It was a most ripping victory."

Comment

The more I look up this guy, the more I think our O has a chance to be fun and inspiring.
          I also contend that few if any of us have any idea at all how any of these candidates will pan out to be a head coach.
          I think shurmur just looks like some "regular" guy, some dude with a hate, and theres little footage of him getting excited, so people impressions are of just that, some "boring" dude. do we really know??
          we'll see, Im encouraged by his tendency top adapt his offenses and not play so damn conservatively which has plagued us for years

Comment

a move that will reportedly become official once the Vikings are eliminated from the playoffs.
            More excellence in journalism.

Do you suppose the wording would have been different had the article been about Patricia or McDaniels?

Comment

Originally posted by JoeBigBlue View Post

Ok....what if the Vikings win the SB? Can we then shove this article up the writer's ***?
              ^THIS^

Sorry Blue I didn't see your post before I commented. God I hate the media anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Morehead State View Post

Boring and uninspiring definitely describes my view on this. But if he's the new Giants HC......Hears to "Mr. Boring and Uninspiring"..

I don't hate it like I did the McAdoo choice. But I don't like it much either. As I said...He's just a guy. I would look at this as Jim Fassel 2.0.
                The giants have been boring and uninspiring for years. It does feel like they settled for him. If i were to give a grade of the hiring, I would give it a C, meaning that it was an average hire that i am OK with. Of course Mara will lie and say that he was his main guy all along.
                If you respect others, they will respect you.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeBigBlue View Post

Lol, I agree that comment made next to no sense.
                  If you respect others, they will respect you.

Comment

Originally posted by scoostraw View Post

^THIS^

Sorry Blue I didn't see your post before I commented. God I hate the media anymore.
                    Absolutely man. The article contradicts throughout. It’s laughable.
                    sigpic"Remain in what you are, the center of your life
                    You made it to this point no one can tell you how..." Gojira-Vacuity

Comment

the author is a dope and his article is loaded with crap

-Judging Shurmur based off of his time in Philadelphia is difficult, because he didn't call the plays and the Eagles ran Kelly's offense. A running joke amongst the media was that Shurmur didn't really do anything. (difficult to judge but I will judge him anyway)

-Although Shurmur didn't call the plays, he was on the staff as the offense took a nose dive, and does deserve some blame for the offense going from one of the best in the NFL in 2013 to one of the worst just two years later. (yeah lets blame the guy for letting Chip Kelly run his team)

-With Kelly gone, Shurmur slowed down the pace of the offense, he gave quarterback Sam Bradford more time at the line of scrimmage to dissect what the defense was showing him, and he put Bradford under center more as opposed to in the shot gun.
                      The Eagles scored 35 points in a win over the Giants with Shurmur calling the plays, the second-highest point total of the season. (I guess he stunk this time too)

-A positive for Giants fans to cling onto is that Shurmur worked closely with quarterback Donovan McNabb from 2002 to 2008, arguably the best years of McNabb's career.

-Shurmur was painfully boring during his weekly press conferences with the Eagles, sticking to the script and making sure to never say anything that might cause a headline.(oh my a boring coach at pressers)

-Shurmur played a big role in the Eagles' decision to trade for quarterback Sam Bradford prior to the 2015 season, a shocking decision at the time. Although Kelly was running the personnel department, the former head coach said multiple times that it was Shurmur's history with Bradford -- and the high praise Shurmur had for the quarterback -- that made the move happen. (this is more on Kelly then Shurmur. Kelly was the HC and in total control.)

-Whether Shurmur will have the success Pederson did remains to be seen, but the hiring of Shurmur could indicate the Giants are about to try to go down the same path the Eagles did. (which is what?...a wining record, payoffs and developing a new young QB)

-During his time with the Eagles, he never displayed the kind of attitude or charisma you would want to see from a head coach tasked with turning around a franchise. (he was the OC NOT the HC....not his job to rally the troops)

"Measure Twice......Cut Once"
                      You couldn't be more full of **** if you were break dancing in a Port-a-Potty.......Kruunch

Comment

This idiot should be banned from thinking, let alone writing what he thinks about.
                        Just when I don't think it can get any worse, I think of you Ray. I have been to the abyss....thank you for helping me stay positive.

Comment

Wow...that was a bad article. Rambling, redundant and not accurate.

Comment

I actually Liked all the coaching Candidates Even Wilkes the only one I didn't like was Studesville.

Comment

Originally posted by RoanokeFan View Post

LEARNED UNDER CHIP KELLY

So if the Vikings beat the Eagles and win the Super Bowl against NE. will you eat your words?

Comment

Working...
                              X