Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Matt Patricia reportedly spurning the Giants in favor of the Lions shows just how far Big Blue has fallen

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Matt Patricia reportedly spurning the Giants in favor of the Lions shows just how far Big Blue has fallen

"The Giants sunk to unimaginable depths in 2017 and on Sunday absorbed another major body blow when Patriots defensive coordinator Matt Patricia, their top choice for head coach, reportedly chose the Detroit Lions over New York.

This happened on the same day, no less, that Tom Coughlin’s Jacksonville Jaguars punched their ticket to the AFC Championship Game in Foxborough to contrast with the Giants’ 3-13 disaster that got Ben McAdoo fired before Year 2 was up.

But losing games is one thing. Losing a coach to the Lions is another.

New England offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels’ presumed jump to the Indianapolis Colts takes the Giants’ top two names off the board, leaving only Minnesota Vikings offensive coordinator Pat Shurmur of their three preferred candidates still available for hire.

And who knows? Shurmur could end up being the right man for the job. Though it might be difficult to hire him without also signing free agent QB Case Keenum, whom Shurmur reportedly prefers to take with him, after Keenum’s 61-yard TD pass at the buzzer Sunday night sent Minnesota to the NFC Championship Game in Philadelphia.

In any case, it was truly a statement of the Giants’ fall from grace on Sunday when Patricia passed on Big Blue’s four Super Bowl trophies and storied history for the Lions, who have never even reached the big game in the Super Bowl era.

And imagine if Shurmur were to then choose the Arizona Cardinals’ opening, where he is a strong candidate, over the Giants, too? Panthers defensive coordinator Steve Wilks perhaps would be the next man standing and might be a great hire in the long run, but the Giants would be hiring a coach they had previously ruled out of the running."

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/fo...icle-1.3757012
    Players come and go on the Free Agency Merry-Go-Round, but the N.Y. Giants will always be here!

I think this has more to do with Eli than anythinng else. What brand new head coach is gonna want to deal with an aging high paid qb?
    [SIGPIC]

Comment

No it doesn't. Matt Patricia has worked with Bob Quinn, who is the current GM of the lions for 10 years. The lions also have a franchise QB in his prime. He had the choice of where he wanted to go with the lions being heavy favorites from day one. This should surprise no one.

Comment

Meet Pat Leonard, drama queen.

Comment

Originally posted by ShineOnForever View Post
          No it doesn't. Matt Patricia has worked with Bob Quinn, who is the current GM of the lions for 10 years. The lions also have a franchise QB in his prime. He had the choice of where he wanted to go with the lions being heavy favorites from day one. This should surprise no one.
          ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
          This

Thank You.

If a guy has options, and he chooses to go where he wants because it is the best situation for HIM, it doesn't mean your situation is bad.

He has a relationship with the Front Office.

A real good QB in his prime is in place.

Other good pieces.

The Detroit job is a good job.

I wish Patricia well. It may be his only chance to be a HC, let him pick where he wants to go.

Comment

We no longer have stability at QB. The Lions at least of Stafford for a while.
            http://boards.giants.com/showthread....est-game/page6
            http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/Articles/11_2554_A_brief,_fact-filled_history_of_the_NFL_passing_game.html
            http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8732732/is-new-york-giants-qb-eli-manning-worthy-hall-fame-espn-magazine

Entire Team Let Eli down today - NYG4l

Comment

I wish him luck, see ya. He would never have made it here with that Beard.

Comment

Originally posted by bigbluejeep8888 View Post
                I think this has more to do with Eli than anythinng else. What brand new head coach is gonna want to deal with an aging high paid qb?
                So, it's your contention that the Patriots or Saints would have a difficult time finding a HC because of Brady or Brees?

Comment

Originally posted by Bronxpinstripes View Post

So, it's your contention that the Patriots or Saints would have a difficult time finding a HC because of Brady or Brees?
                  Have Brady or Brees played like Eli 4 of the past 5 seasons? That should answer your question.

Comment

Originally posted by ShineOnForever View Post
                    Be careful who you call a franchise QB...some on here will argue that a guy isn't a franchise QB until he's won a Super Bowl. In other words, there are currently only 7 franchise quarterbacks...Brady, Roethlisberger, Eli Manning, Brees, Rodgers, Flacco, and Russell Wilson.

Comment

Originally posted by Gmanfrom58 View Post
                      I wish him luck, see ya. He would never have made it here with that Beard.
                      Yeah, I prefer my head coach not look like a University of Vermont frat boy.

Comment

Do you really believe that NFL coaches look at Eli’s performance the way the media jerks or the fans do?
                        You think an NFL coach doesn’t take into account, the injuries to Eli’s receivers, his lack of targets, his OLine situation, no runnng game, lousy D, ineffective overpaid Pass rushers, and a horrible Sp. Teams...and that their first thought, is that that all adds up to it being Eli’s fault, so the hell with taking THAT job?
                        PRICELESS I tell you....you people are ****ing priceless!!!!!
                        "I'M ALL FOR IT!"

John McKay, HC of the 1976 winless TB Buccaneers, when asked by a reporter, how McKay felt, about the execution of his offense.

Comment

Originally posted by Bronxpinstripes View Post

Brady and bress are in a different class than manning. And listen I love Eli and everything he has done for the giants.
                          Take a look at the stats over the past 2 years between the three. Eli has the worst completion %, most int, least amount of tds, and least amount of yards. And that's with Brady missing 4 games in 2016. So yeah it's a completely different situation.
                          [SIGPIC]

Comment

Originally posted by bigbluejeep8888 View Post

Brady and bress are in a different class than manning. And listen I love Eli and everything he has done for the giants.
                            Take a look at the stats over the past 2 years between the three. Eli has the worst completion %, most int, least amount of tds, and least amount of yards. And that's with Brady missing 4 games in 2016. So yeah it's a completely different situation.
                            I was merely responding to your question..."What brand new head coach is gonna want to deal with an aging high paid qb?" Brady and Brees are both aging (40 and 39, respectively) and highly-paid.

In other words...both are very near (despite whatever Zen BS Brady may believe) the end of their careers, and will have to be dealt with if they don't go gracefully.
                            Last edited by Bronxpinstripes; 01-16-2018, 11:12 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X