Vikings Deny Giants Permission to Interview Stefaniski

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Blue_Cusen View Post

Which in this situation for all intents and purposes it IS. He wouldn't be calling plays and if the offense takes off he won't get a ton of the credit. The O is gonna be the Shurmer show whoever the OC is. Still a crappy rule though.
    Not really. it is the OC's job the develop each game plan. One of his main duties. The main reason to have a good one.
    Last edited by TEM; 02-12-2018, 06:52 PM.
    There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season.

Comment

Originally posted by TEM View Post

Not really. it is the OC's job the develop each game plan. One of his main duties. The main reason to have a good one.
      Iíve actually decided I donít have a problem with the rules:

1. Itís an anti tampering policy. So, you donít want teams screwing with each other by constantly ratcheting up the coaching salaries and mucking around with other peopleís staffs. Iím sure teams would like some ability to plan for the future.

2. The coaching titles other than HC are essentially meaningless. There is too much variance in what these people do team to team. Green Bay employs a HC (playcaller), OC, Pass Game Coordinator, Run Game Coordinator, DC, plus the usual staff of position coaches. Explain to me who has more responsibility than who in THAT situation...explain how it compares to other teams? Itís impossible.

3. Most coaches do not have long contracts anyway. And if a team gave a longer term deal to a coach itís because they like him and want him to stay around.

As much as I think guys should be able to interview to see what theyíre worth, this is a pro sports league and not the normal workforce. Competition is fierce, and dirty. We donít let players shop around for jobs or become free agents every year. Coaches are a part of what makes a team competitive and need to be handled as a similar type of asset.

Comment

Guys wasn't there a rule that you couldn't stand in the way of a coach interviewing for a higher position. I'm almost positive this was in effect. But I guess I misunderstood it. Did anybody else ever hear this ?

Comment

Hence where the problem lies :

http://www.dawgtalkers.net/uploads/2...g%20Policy.pdf

Page 7:

1. Two Tiers of Coaching Staffs. For purposes of this Anti-Tampering Policy, each coaching staff is divided into two tiers: (1) head coach, and (2) all assistant coaches.

2. Head-Coaching Opportunity. If a club is interested in discussing its head coaching position with an assistant coach whose playing season (excluding Pro Bowl) is over, and who is contractually obligated to another club, the assistant coachís employer club must permit the coach the opportunity to discuss, and possibly accept, such employment through March 1 of any year. After March 1, the employer club is under no obligation to grant such permission, but it may be voluntarily granted at the employer clubís discretion during the off-season.

Page 8:

3. Lateral Move. If a club is interested in discussing an assistant coaching position with an assistant coach who is contractually obligated to another club at any time prior to the opening of the employer clubís training camp, it will be considered a lateral move, and the employer club is under no obligation to grant the coach the opportunity to discuss the position with the interested club. At the discretion of the employer club, however, such permission may be voluntarily granted.

It is a crappy rule to state going form Position Coach to OC or DC a lateral move.
          Thank You for this , Now it is before March 1st, now promoting an asst. to a coordinator is still considered an asst. so it falls under page 8, #3 as a lateral move ?

WOW ! I think we need another option to accept a promotion to coordinator in todays football as a promotion and not a lateral move. But if that's the rule......

Comment

Originally posted by That Guy Rich View Post
            Guys wasn't there a rule that you couldn't stand in the way of a coach interviewing for a higher position. I'm almost positive this was in effect. But I guess I misunderstood it. Did anybody else ever hear this ?
            I always thought the same thing. Teams would name some coach assistant head coach so that any move would not be a higher position except HC.
            Engage brain before speaking.

Comment

Originally posted by speedman View Post

I always thought the same thing. Teams would name some coach assistant head coach so that any move would not be a higher position except HC.
              Slick !

Comment

Technically speaking, sure. Shurmer's forte' is supposed to be adjusting the offense to the opponent. He won a coordinator of the year award for his work on the Vikings offense. You really believe his fingerprints aren't going to be on those game plans?

Comment

Originally posted by Blue_Cusen View Post

Technically speaking, sure. Shurmer's forte' is supposed to be adjusting the offense to the opponent. He won a coordinator of the year award for his work on the Vikings offense. You really believe his fingerprints aren't going to be on those game plans?
                  All HC are . They are the HC . Eli will most likely have some input as well.
                  There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season.

Comment

Working...
                  X