This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by egyptian420 View Post
    I also had a friend who killed himself. He was well liked and a very popular guy, had a million friends, was a big time athlete and the whole nine yards. But I guess deep down his life wasn't what it appeared to be.

It was sad no doubt, but his own cousin (who is also a close friend of mine) to this day doesn't feel bad for him and keeps repeating to people who offer their pity that they shouldn't because this was his choice.

I won't act like I know depression because I don't, but I understand it could be as bad or worse than physical pain. I still don't think it justifies suicide that's my only point. Although I might have come off a bit rough.
    Nothing is a "justification". And I don't think anyone would try to justify this kind of action.

No one is "thinking straight" when they commit suicide. It's not rational action. Those who commit suicide are not thinking rationally.
    Admit nothing. Deny everything. Make counter accusations.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rudyy View Post
      That's really insensitive 420.
      Maybe the way I said it came out sounding cold, but I do acknowledge the sadness of the situation. That was the first thing I said to Dez.

But I still believe that what he did is unjustifiable. Suicide is never the right thing to do. I have no problem with anyone feeling sad that he is gone; as I do, but I think it's wrong for any to suggest that his circumstances were so difficult that suicide was the only option or that it was justified.

Comment

• Originally posted by Morehead State View Post
        Nothing is a "justification". And I don't think anyone would try to justify this kind of action.

No one is "thinking straight" when they commit suicide. It's not rational action. Those who commit suicide are not thinking rationally.
        Totally agree with this. And the message needs to be made clearer that there is always another option no matter how awful things are.

Comment

I also had a friend who killed himself. He was well liked and a very popular guy, had a million friends, was a big time athlete and the whole nine yards. But I guess deep down his life wasn't what it appeared to be.

It was sad no doubt, but his own cousin (who is also a close friend of mine) to this day doesn't feel bad for him and keeps repeating to people who offer their pity that they shouldn't because this was his choice.

I won't act like I know depression because I don't, but I understand it could be as bad or worse than physical pain. I still don't think it justifies suicide that's my only point. Although I might have come off a bit rough.
          Depression doesn't justify suicide? You clearly don't understand how depression works.

Depression is not a choice, you just don't choose you're going to be depressed. Some people don't even realize they have it. It's a mental disorder, like OCD, paranoia, etc.

I can share countless stories of friends of mine who are severely depressed. My best friend had to quit school because it was so hard for her to deal with it.
          Mood: WOOF!

Comment

Maybe the way I said it came out sounding cold, but I do acknowledge the sadness of the situation. That was the first thing I said to Dez.

But I still believe that what he did is unjustifiable. Suicide is never the right thing to do. I have no problem with anyone feeling sad that he is gone; as I do, but I think it's wrong for any to suggest that his circumstances were so difficult that suicide was the only option or that it was justified.
            Depression Is not just feeling sad, that's the thing and that's what you really need to understand. Being sad is an emotion that all humans and animals share.

When you're depressed you lose interest and motivation to do everything, your mood and your self-esteem are incredibly low. That's not just feeling "sad." You don't feel anything really, nothing matters anymore and you're stuck trying to figure out why am I still here?
            Last edited by Rudy; 08-12-2014, 10:57 AM.

Comment

• I'm not trying to change your option or anything egyptian, everyone is free to have their opinions, but I just wanted to clarify something.

It's all good.

Comment

Depression doesn't justify suicide? You clearly don't understand how depression works.

Depression is not a choice, you just don't choose you're going to be depressed. Some people don't even realize they have it. It's a mental disorder, like OCD, paranoia, etc.

I can share countless stories of friends of mine who are severely depressed. My best friend had to quit school because it was so hard for her to deal with it.
                Originally posted by Rudyy View Post
                Depression Is not just feeling sad, that's the thing and that's what you really need to understand. Being sad is an emotion that all humans and animals share.
                Do you think the Kurds who witnessed their families massacred right in front of their eyes have depression? I would guess that they do.

I'm sure some definitely committed suicide, but many didn't. This notion that suicide is a disease that leads you to kill yourself without any chance or possibility of trying to think about the long term or the people your hurting is flat out wrong. It increases your chances considerably, yes, but it doesn't absolve you of any option. You ultimately choose if you're going to keep battling or if you've had enough.

You can talk to a friend or family member and let them know how serious it is, see a psychiatrist, maybe some spiritual guidance... There are a multitude of ways to help alleviate the situation. You don't just wake up one day and you have depression, usually it's an ongoing thing for a long time and you should definitely try to get help for it because it could lead to worse things.

I'd rather in situations like these we try to raise depression awareness and urge people to seek help early and strongly make the case against suicide.

Comment

I'm not trying to change your option or anything egyptian, everyone is free to have their opinions, but I just wanted to clarify something.

It's all good.
                  Was just about to write that.... It's an opinionated discussion, there are no factual rights and wrongs so both opinions are acceptable.

Comment

Do you think the Kurds who witnessed their families massacred right in front of their eyes have depression? I would guess that they do.

I'm sure some definitely committed suicide, but many didn't. This notion that suicide is a disease that leads you to kill yourself without any chance or possibility of trying to think about the long term or the people your hurting is flat out wrong. It increases your chances considerably, yes, but it doesn't absolve you of any option. You ultimately choose if you're going to keep battling or if you've had enough.

You can talk to a friend or family member and let them know how serious it is, see a psychiatrist, maybe some spiritual guidance... There are a multitude of ways to help alleviate the situation. You don't just wake up one day and you have depression, usually it's an ongoing thing for a long time and you should definitely try to get help for it because it could lead to worse things.

I'd rather in situations like these we try to raise depression awareness and urge people to seek help early and strongly make the case against suicide.
                    I'm saying depression leads to suicide, 60% of the time.
                    And how do you know he hasn't? He's been going to therapy for years, I think 20+ years. It was that serious (which it was because they are now reporting it was severe depression). I'm not saying that suicide was his only way out or that I'm totally okay with suicide.

Again, depression is a chemical imbalance of your brain. Low dopamine levels = low energy and mood levels. People who have depression or severe depression have very low dopamine levels, which is why they don't have the energy to function normally in their lives. When we have plenty of dopamine, we feel happy, altruistic, attached to others, etc. I think you get the point. And it affects the rest of your brain.

Comment

I'm saying depression leads to suicide, 60% of the time.
                      And how do you know he hasn't? He's been going to therapy for years, I think 20+ years. It was that serious (which it was because they are now reporting it was severe depression). I'm not saying that suicide was his only way out or that I'm totally okay with suicide.

Again, depression is a chemical imbalance of your brain. Low dopamine levels = low energy and mood levels. People who have depression or severe depression have very low dopamine levels, which is why they don't have the energy to function normally in their lives. When we have plenty of dopamine, we feel happy, altruistic, attached to others, etc. I think you get the point. And it affects the rest of your brain.
                      Yea I know about the effects of dopamine, serotonin, and oxytocin imbalances.... I'm a psych student like you afterall Anyways may the man rest in peace.

On a totally unrelated subject, where's Pizz been the past couple days? Is he secretly lurking the boards and not saying anything?

Comment

Yea I know about the effects of dopamine, serotonin, and oxytocin imbalances.... I'm a psych student like you afterall Anyways may the man rest in peace.

On a totally unrelated subject, where's Pizz been the past couple days? Is he secretly lurking the boards and not saying anything?
                        Working or on vacation.

You're a psych student? Which field.

Comment

Working or on vacation.

You're a psych student? Which field.
                          Social sciences.... Trying to become a probation/parole officer

You?

Comment

Social sciences.... Trying to become a probation/parole officer

You?
                            Developmental or Clinical.

Or both really.

Comment

Developmental or Clinical.

Or both really.
                              I'm not sure, I'm not trying to become a psychologist. I'm just taking a psychology 4 year bachelor's degree

Comment

Clinical Depression?

No.
                                Admit nothing. Deny everything. Make counter accusations.

Comment

Working...
                                X