This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by JPizzack View Post
    Reading this article about the Patriots draft history...[pretty cool. but 2 things have stood out in the opening paragraphs:

"Bad teams spend heavily in free agency and hold on to their players out of nostalgia far too long"

"Perhaps the most common characteristic of bad organizations is that they make a habit of giving away draft picks to trade up and acquire a player with an earlier selection. It’s almost always a strong sign that they simply don’t understand the game at hand. The evidence suggests the NFL draft is most likely a crapshoot, so even if your team’s draft board has a first-round grade on a player left in the middle of the second round, chances are that the rest of the league is right and you’re wrong. Teams do trade up and succeed, of course, in the same way that a drunk blackjack player hits on 16 against a five and wins sometimes, but it’s not an optimal strategy."
    Ive seen the Pats trade up, and they've been their most successful recently with WRs that they brought in from other teams (Welker, Moss). Their secondary was pretty doodoo outside of McCourty till they brought in two FAs to fix it.
    "I punched the **** out of em in the back with an uppercut"
    - Marshawn Lynch

Comment

• in the Belichick era, the Patriots have drafted 25 compensatory picks. holy ****.
      they figured out "average value(AV)"(a pro-football-reference.com stat based on overall production) of all those picks, and determined that with that high number of draft picks, and the players theyve drafted, it's the equivalent of an extra #1 overall, and an extra #2 overall pick. I feel like I'm not explaining that correctly, but hopefully you get what I mean.

I mean...that's basically 25 draft picks just for NOT resigning players, and not spending assloads in free agency. And it's not like you can compare their success to anyone else really. How more GMs and coaches havent figured this out is crazy.
      Oderint Dum Metuant

It's too bad, I'm too good....

Comment

• 48 trades solely involving draft picks....thats how many have been made by the Pats during the Belichick era....wtf
        Oderint Dum Metuant

Comment

• They've also lost out by giving away picks that ended up with Clay Matthews, Dez Bryant & Demaryius Thomas. They've also traded away picks for deals on Ochocinco, Haynesworth, and Duane Starks hahahaha.....
          Oderint Dum Metuant

Comment

• Take me to Australia
            Mood: WOOF!

Comment

• Originally posted by Rudyy View Post
              Take me to Australia
              are you crazy? do you know how ****ing big the spiders are in austrailia?!?!?!
              Oderint Dum Metuant

Comment

are you crazy? do you know how ****ing big the spiders are in austrailia?!?!?!
                Stop being a *****

Comment

in the Belichick era, the Patriots have drafted 25 compensatory picks. holy ****.
                  they figured out "average value(AV)"(a pro-football-reference.com stat based on overall production) of all those picks, and determined that with that high number of draft picks, and the players theyve drafted, it's the equivalent of an extra #1 overall, and an extra #2 overall pick. I feel like I'm not explaining that correctly, but hopefully you get what I mean.

I mean...that's basically 25 draft picks just for NOT resigning players, and not spending assloads in free agency. And it's not like you can compare their success to anyone else really. How more GMs and coaches havent figured this out is crazy.
                  That math doesn't seem right.

If you're using the draft chart values (not very relevant, but I can't find any other objective measure to use), the value of the #1 and #2 pick, combined, is 5600 points. 5600/25 = 224, which is roughly equivalent to an early 3rd rounder, which isn't even awarded through the compensatory pick system -- it starts in the late-3rd, and even then, there's no way that all 25 of those compensatory picks were of the highest variety; it'd most likely be an assortment, ranging from rounds 3, with a bunch in rounds 6 and 7.

So I don't know how they factor "the players they've drafted," but it seems like they weigh that in very significantly.
                  My body was sculpted to the proportions of Michelangelo's David.

Comment

48 trades solely involving draft picks....thats how many have been made by the Pats during the Belichick era....wtf
                    Yeah, they're crazy good at maneuvering. I'm not sure what the results have been, but their ability to stockpile picks makes them very convex in the sense that they have to hit on a much lower percentage than many other teams in order to field a deep, young, and talented team. It also allows them to cut their losses short, which is invaluable in almost any domain, especially the NFL. They truly have it down to a science.

Originally posted by JPizzack View Post
                    They've also lost out by giving away picks that ended up with Clay Matthews, Dez Bryant & Demaryius Thomas. They've also traded away picks for deals on Ochocinco, Haynesworth, and Duane Starks hahahaha.....
                    The possibility of that happening is what keeps so many teams stupid in their failure to follow the Pats' model when it comes to draft pick maneuvering.

Comment

• They load up on great backups because they have 700 picks

Comment

• Almost every year

Comment

• Originally posted by gmen0820 View Post
                          That math doesn't seem right.

If you're using the draft chart values (not very relevant, but I can't find any other objective measure to use), the value of the #1 and #2 pick, combined, is 5600 points. 5600/25 = 224, which is roughly equivalent to an early 3rd rounder, which isn't even awarded through the compensatory pick system -- it starts in the late-3rd, and even then, there's no way that all 25 of those compensatory picks were of the highest variety; it'd most likely be an assortment, ranging from rounds 3, with a bunch in rounds 6 and 7.

So I don't know how they factor "the players they've drafted," but it seems like they weigh that in very significantly.
                          http://grantland.com/the-triangle/bi...land-patriots/

you can read it if youre interested. not100% sure how it worked really
                          Oderint Dum Metuant

Comment

• "Carolina general manager Marty Hurney, who accused the Patriots of having a “culture of cheating” last week, helped contribute by allowing Belichick to steal his (2010)draft pick."
                            Oderint Dum Metuant

Comment

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/bi...land-patriots/

you can read it if youre interested. not100% sure how it worked really
                              No. **** you. Don't try to weasel your way out. Explain it better, or gtfoh.

Comment

• Originally posted by gurujot View Post
                                My only gripe with HBO is that the last season of their shows is always only 8 episodes which ends up rushing the final season along instead of having the same pace that the rest of the series.
                                It's been so long since I've had HBO, I don't even know. The shows I have watched have generally been after the fact. But, yes, I can definitely see where an abbreviated schedule for the final season can screw with the pacing.

Comment

Working...
                                X