This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by JPizzack View Post
    Do you think that filmmakers who make "Historical dramas" have a duty to only make factual scripts, or is entertainment just entertainment?
    I think it really depends on the aim of the movie. If the movie is going to be like Pearl Harbor, then it doesn't need to be overly accurate. Every one can tell they are just using an historical event as a backdrop for an action flick. No one is (or at least should) think that the movie is a vehicle to teach anything about Pearl Harbor.

However, if the goal of the movie is to inform, provide social commentary, etc., then the movie should be as accurate as possible while still trying to entertain. I get that certain liberties will always be taken (even in documentaries), but the goal should still be to relay everything as close as possible to the actual facts.

Comment

• Originally posted by Drez View Post
      I think it really depends on the aim of the movie. If the movie is going to be like Pearl Harbor, then it doesn't need to be overly accurate. Every one can tell they are just using an historical event as a backdrop for an action flick. No one is (or at least should) think that the movie is a vehicle to teach anything about Pearl Harbor.

However, if the goal of the movie is to inform, provide social commentary, etc., then the movie should be as accurate as possible while still trying to entertain. I get that certain liberties will always be taken (even in documentaries), but the goal should still be to relay everything as close as possible to the actual facts.
      Thanks Drez.
      Mood: WOOF!

Comment

That's exactly what happened. But what's not public knowledge is whether LBJ ordered the blackmail (We know that Hoover offered various ways to "neutralize" MLK multiple times to LBJ), or whether it was Hoover acting on his own.
        The movie portrays it the following way:
        LBJ urges MLK not to stage the walk in alabama yet. He wants more time to pass before he pushes through the voting rights acts. MLK wants to strike while the iron is hot so to speak, because they've both done such a good job with the Civil Rights Act. MLK says they can't wait any longer, so LBJ orders Hoover to release whatever he has.

Regardless of what happened in reality, it's all very fascinating to me. I love history, and I love movies.
        Yea I really love history too. I also enjoy the strategy in politics as well.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rudy View Post
          Thanks Drez.
          Why are you thanking him?

Comment

for this project team im on for my company's core conversion....the assignments are goddamn ridiculous.
            Imagine someone's asking you to code an entire program. Telling you exactly what needs to be done, and how it functions to a T.....buuuuttttt not knowing which programming language it has to be coded in until 3 months before it goes live??

That's essentially what I'm doing lol. "Please write this entire data entry process without ever seeing the software, using only eDocs showing what the software is capable of."
            Errrr ok....
            man I still have no clue what it is that you do. All this time it seemed like you worked at a bank or something.
            "I punched the **** out of em in the back with an uppercut"
            - Marshawn Lynch

Comment

• Originally posted by dezzzR View Post
              facebook on a smartphone is dumb. Is there a way to see most recent posts? Why would I want to see the same top stories from last month?
              go to more in the bottom right then go to feeds and select most recent you nub
              - Marshawn Lynch

Comment

I'm assuming she's being very sarcastic with that.

Comment

Pretty sure the FBI found out MLK had a mistress. Hoover had dirt on EVERYONE.
                  I though MLKs mistress was common knowledge. From some of the stuff Ive read about him he was a pretty scary dude.
                  - Marshawn Lynch

Comment

Because he made my point.

Comment

• Originally posted by gurujot View Post
                      I though MLKs mistress was common knowledge. From some of the stuff Ive read about him he was a pretty scary dude.
                      Maybe now. I don't think it was so much back then.

Comment

I'm assuming she's being very sarcastic with that.
                        No, you made a point I was trying to make earlier lol.

Comment

Because he made my point.
                          And here I thought you were just giving me sass, lol. But, that's probably what I get for not reading through all the posts.

Comment

And here I thought you were just giving me sass, lol. But, that's probably what I get for not reading through all the posts.
                            Sad

Comment

• A couple of those guys in general football are getting pretty weird with their obsession with this Pats story
                              - Marshawn Lynch

Comment

Sad
                                Yes. Yes, I am.

Comment

Working...
                                X