This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Rudy View Post
    This guy held up this sign talking about how the 1% should pay college tuition, and this guy (I forget the guys name) asked this kid why and he goes "Because I want them to."

Hahaha
    Are you sure werent watching one of Obamas campaign speeches?

Comment

• Originally posted by dezzzR View Post
      Are you sure werent watching one of Obamas campaign speeches?
      Yay free community college. And I'm positive.

My favorite was how this one hippie girl was screaming about how she has a BA from a prestigious liberal arts college but she can't find a job despite having a degree and how she spent all this many to be broke and how it's not fair that the rich get richer blah blah.

Same guy asked her what her major was. Her response? 19th century English poetry.

El oh el.
      Mood: WOOF!

Comment

Same guy asked her what her major was. Her response? 19th century English poetry.

El oh el.
        That actually speaks more to the entire institution of college and how it even HAS that as a major. Promoting uselessness to our children!! lol
        Oderint Dum Metuant

It's too bad, I'm too good....

Comment

Yay free community college. And I'm positive.

My favorite was how this one hippie girl was screaming about how she has a BA from a prestigious liberal arts college but she can't find a job despite having a degree and how she spent all this many to be broke and how it's not fair that the rich get richer blah blah.

El oh el.
          I'm not sympathetic to the movement, and I'm sure there were many more JUST like her in the fray (had to have been -- and worse -- with that many people gathered), but those are pretty cherry-picked examples. Not by you, but people who covered it. Hannity brought on some Russell Brand wannabe and, predictably, ripped him another *******.

I just wish that all those rich people looking to gain favor with the "99%" would actually give more taxes, as is their right. They sure talk a hell of a lot about it, but they'd rather engage in political advocacy, and philanthropy at a fraction of the cost, but with monumentally more upside in the PR department.
          My body was sculpted to the proportions of Michelangelo's David.

Comment

• Originally posted by JPizzack View Post
            That actually speaks more to the entire institution of college and how it even HAS that as a major. Promoting uselessness to our children!! lol
            My guess is she was an English major that had a concentration in 19th century poetry.

My point is why would you choose that as a career?

Comment

• And community college basically is free. In NJ at least, High Schools have the NJStars program for those that finish in the top-15% of their class. They get a full-ride to CC. But if money is the issue, there's always financial aid that covers the bulk of tuition for full-time students.

With NJStars, on top of grants, and I'm getting back like $1200/semester just to go. And there's a bridge program right into Rutgers if you maintain a 3.0

Comment

• Originally posted by gmen0820 View Post
                And community college basically is free. In NJ at least, High Schools have the NJStars program for those that finish in the top-15% of their class. They get a full-ride to CC. But if money is the issue, there's always financial aid that covers the bulk of tuition for full-time students.

With NJStars, on top of grants, and I'm getting back like $1200/semester just to go. And there's a bridge program right into Rutgers if you maintain a 3.0
                with most CCs, you can qualify for grants that essentially pay for school so long as you pass your classes. It's not uncommon, it's just called different things in different states.
                Oderint Dum Metuant

Comment

I'm not sympathetic to the movement, and I'm sure there were many more JUST like her in the fray (had to have been -- and worse -- with that many people gathered), but those are pretty cherry-picked examples. Not by you, but people who covered it. Hannity brought on some Russell Brand wannabe and, predictably, ripped him another *******.

I just wish that all those rich people looking to gain favor with the "99%" would actually give more taxes, as is their right. They sure talk a hell of a lot about it, but they'd rather engage in political advocacy, and philanthropy at a fraction of the cost, but with monumentally more upside in the PR department.
                  Yeah. I mean these two cases were on the extreme end. Unfortunately OWS turned into just that at the end and lost steam. My thing is why waste time arguing about this when you could be spending that time applying for positions and internships. I personally would have used my time for that than arguing with a bunch of rich people who couldn't care less.

Comment

• Originally posted by JPizzack View Post
                    with most CCs, you can qualify for grants that essentially pay for school so long as you pass your classes. It's not uncommon, it's just called different things in different states.
                    Okay, but I wanted to make it clear that I'm an NJStar...k?

Comment

Yeah. I mean these two cases were on the extreme end. Unfortunately OWS turned into just that at the end and lost steam. My thing is why waste time arguing about this when you could be spending that time applying for positions and internships. I personally would have used my time for that than arguing with a bunch of rich people who couldn't care less.
                      Who couldn't care less, and are probably going to be the bosses at the positions for which they'll apply.

And just to clarify, idgaf what rich people do with their money, or how much they pay in taxes -- just stop talking about how "we should be paying more." You can if you want.

Comment

Okay, but I wanted to make it clear that I'm an NJStar...k?
                        you go girl
                        Oderint Dum Metuant

Comment

Who couldn't care less, and are probably going to be the bosses at the positions for which they'll apply.

And just to clarify, idgaf what rich people do with their money, or how much they pay in taxes -- just stop talking about how "we should be paying more." You can if you want.
                          Well said

Comment

• I'm not as liberal as you all think

Comment

• With that said, I'm not going to class.

Comment

With that said, I'm not going to class.
                                You're not??

I've skipped way too much this semester. Can't afford to miss anymore classes.

Comment

Working...
                                X