This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Rudy View Post
    This is a 3-stage model or framework offered by Egan as useful in helping people solve problems and develop opportunities. The goals of using the model are to help people 'to manage their problems in living more effectively and develop unused opportunities more fully', and to 'help people become better at helping themselves in their everyday lives.' (Egan G., 'The Skilled Helper', 1998, p7-8). Thus there is an emphasis on empowerment. Also the person s own agenda is central, and the model seeks to move the person towards action leading to outcomes which they choose and value.
    This model is not based on a particular theory of personality development, nor on a theory of the ways difficulties develop. It is a framework for conceptualising the helping process, and is best used in working on issues in the recent past and the present.

As with any model, it provides a map, which can be used in exploring, but which is not the territory itself. The Egan model and mentoring are not synonymous; the model can be used in many kinds of helping relationships, and mentoring/co-mentoring can be done using other models, (or none!). The model can and should be used flexibly. The model works best if attention is paid to Rogers' 'core conditions', the helpers approach to the speaker being based on genuineness, respect, and empathy, and if principles of good active listening are remembered throughout.

The Egan model aims to help the speaker address 3 main questions:

'What is going on?'
    'What do I want instead?'
    'How might I get to what I want?'
    Not everyone needs to address all 3 questions, and at times people may move back into previously answered ones. For simplicity, we'll look at the model sequentially. However, the skilled helper will work with the speaker in all or any of the stages, and move back and forward, as appropriate.
    drivel
    My body was sculpted to the proportions of Michelangelo's David.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rudy View Post
      My dad has a pair of pajama pants that say that all over.

With baby chicks on them. He's so adorable.
      I need a pair of those.

Comment

• Originally posted by JPizzack View Post
        fret not....I have returned.
        You were gone?

Comment

• Originally posted by dezzzR View Post
          Should I take off tomorrow or Wednesday?
          Wednesday

Comment

• Originally posted by Sarcasman View Post
            You were gone?
            lol no not really. I just wasn't around on Friday. I was busy doing my 2nd World Tour of Beers at the Winking Lizard in Akron. Only 75 more to go for the year!!
            Oderint Dum Metuant

It's too bad, I'm too good....

Comment

• I don't get how so many bozos get drivers licences, guy was driving at 60 in an 80 and he had the audacity to do that **** in the left lane
              "I punched the **** out of em in the back with an uppercut"
              - Marshawn Lynch

Comment

lol no not really. I just wasn't around on Friday. I was busy doing my 2nd World Tour of Beers at the Winking Lizard in Akron. Only 75 more to go for the year!!
                Atta-boy. 75 left and it's only February?

JP ftw!

Comment

• All it takes is searching Methadone once on google then your seeing ads for methadone clinics on youtube
                  - Marshawn Lynch

Comment

• Originally posted by gurujot View Post
                    All it takes is searching Methadone once on google then your seeing ads for methadone clinics on youtube
                    Trying to kick that heroin habit eh?

Comment

• Originally posted by egyptian420 View Post
                      Trying to kick that heroin habit eh?
                      gotta make sure to explore all the options you know
                      - Marshawn Lynch

Comment

• I'm so ****ing high
                        Mood: WOOF!

Comment

• Originally posted by Sarcasman View Post
                          Atta-boy. 75 left and it's only February?

JP ftw!
                          Yea, last year I finished my entire tour in only 3 visits. Granted 2 of my uncles were drinking some of the beers, but.....even still, I was impressed we pulled that off.
                          Oderint Dum Metuant

Comment

• Whats 50 shades of grey about? S&M?, sybian, dildos, anal beads?

Comment

• I can't see what you posted about......but, I assume that's accurate.
                              Oderint Dum Metuant

Comment

I can't see what you posted about......but, I assume that's accurate.
                                It's a gif of Quagmire thinking about anal beads because it's Quagmire.
                                Mood: WOOF!

Comment

Working...
                                X