This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by gmen0820 View Post
    It's particularly hard to do because of the physiological damage that is caused by the addiction. Ergo, disease.
    Very good point.
    I still disagree though. An addict who wants to sober up usually can and will. A cancer patient or any other patient that is fatally ill that wants to get better really has no choice in the matter.
    Maybe Im being too simplistic.

Comment

• Originally posted by Morehead State View Post
      Dezz....My theory is that Quinn will find Carry's name on his list.

What do you think?
      Yup, agreed.
      They didnt mention the org behind the attack yet, right?

Comment

• Originally posted by dezzzR View Post
        Very good point.
        I still disagree though. An addict who wants to sober up usually can and will. A cancer patient or any other patient that is fatally ill that wants to get better really has no choice in the matter.
        You're being way too simplistic. If you're an addict, your brain wants more until it's satisfied and many times, it's not..which is why people consume more and more. And when they don't get your fix, they become sick.

It's not just a matter of, oh I'll quit tomorrow. You physically cannot.
        I reccommend taking a Health Psychology or Physiology course.
        Mood: WOOF!

Comment

• Originally posted by Morehead State View Post
          Dezz....My theory is that Quinn will find Carry's name on his list.

What do you think?
          DUDE....shhhh....didn't watch yet. tonight.
          Oderint Dum Metuant

It's too bad, I'm too good....

Comment

Very good point.
            Well, what would you say about most diseases that are caused by...well, caused by anything. Addictions are typically self inflicted, but....say for example you have an old coalminer who developed pneumoconiosis.....black lung. caused by an outside chemical. it's a disease obviously, right?
            Drugs sometimes cause irreparable damage to a body and brain. So I think addiction is a disease due to it's destruction essentially. It's not as if it's 100% mental.
            Oderint Dum Metuant

Comment

• Best bat flip of all time right
              "I punched the **** out of em in the back with an uppercut"
              - Marshawn Lynch

Comment

Very good point.
                I think in both instances there's significantly diminished free will. I don't have empirical evidence, but much as there's different stages of cancer, there's different stages of addiction, with varying prognoses that correspond to each stage.

If you're chemically dependent, then you're probably hoping for that same miracle, just like the stage 4 cancer patient.
                My body was sculpted to the proportions of Michelangelo's David.

Comment

• Originally posted by JPizzack View Post
                  DUDE....shhhh....didn't watch yet. tonight.
                  Its Sauls bday party list. No biggie.

Comment

• And dez, I recommend not taking a Health Psychology or Physiology course.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rudy View Post
                      You're being way too simplistic. If you're an addict, your brain wants more until it's satisfied and many times, it's not..which is why people consume more and more. And when they don't get your fix, they become sick.

It's not just a matter of, oh I'll quit tomorrow. You physically cannot.
                      I reccommend taking a Health Psychology or Physiology course.
                      A lot of diseases cause different parts of the body(cellular level or other) to want/think different things, so you're dead on with that. Good post.
                      Oderint Dum Metuant

Comment

• Originally posted by Rudy View Post
                        You're being way too simplistic. If you're an addict, your brain wants more until it's satisfied and many times, it's not..which is why people consume more and more. And when you don't get your fill, they become sick.
                        I know how withdrawals works.

And what happens after you withdraw? Youre healthy and normal again.
                        With addiction you yourself are willingly putting poisons into your body. Youre causing yourself to be "sick"

Comment

And dez, I recommend not taking a Health Psychology or Physiology course.
                          Even though your stance stems directly from said courses.

Comment

With addiction you yourself are willingly putting poisons into your body. Youre causing yourself to be "sick"
                            What happens after you withdraw? I don't understand that.

Comment

And dez, I recommend not taking a Health Psychology or Physiology course.
                              Why not? There are plenty of Drs who dont consider addiction a disease.

Comment

Perhaps initially. But after that, you're kind of at the mercy of the drug. It's almost the same mechanism as cancer "caused" by environmental factors aided through poor lifestyle choices.

Comment

Working...
                                X