This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by jmike View Post
    How would you fix it then? Sounds like you need a 2nd highway that runs parallel but you said the turnpike already does, so why doesn't that relieve the traffic? What is a jughandle? Is it like a circle?
    I found these comments about 17 in an article on the top 20 worst area's for traffic in NJ

2. U.S. Route 17 is so bad that it claimed two of the state’s four spots on the INRIX worst-corridor list: the narrow two-lane stretch in Rochelle Park (ranked 181st by INRIX out of approximately 219); and the dense retail mecca in Paramus, where reentering the road after shopping is a high-stakes poker game (128th). The best alternative: other than Sundays, when Bergen County’s blue laws close most of the stores, is the GSP, which parallels Route 17 between Route 3 and the New York Thruway, says Bernie Wagenblast, who has been watching traffic for more than three decades at public transportation agencies, private companies and as one of the original Shadow Traffic reporters in 1979. He publishes the Transportation Communications Newsletter and gives weekend traffic reports on 1010 WINS and New Jersey 101.5.

the sad part is I have to pass both area's they are talking about the Mall and through Rochelle Park :P

the alternative routes aren't really any better either, most are further out of the way...I can take the turnpike or parkway but eventually I need to get on 80 using those routes and that's got horrendous traffic in my area as well sometimes....an those paths are not as direct.

17 is the worst but most direct and after years of driving on it you kind of figure out where to save time...there are places I literally exit the highway to go up onto an overpass only to get directly back on on the other side because using the on ramp and off ramps are MUCH faster then sitting still for 10 minutes.

that said I can usually use tricks to get to work in 40-45ish minutes but when there is a back up cause of an accident or construction or something...it's just hell...nothing works.

Comment

• Originally posted by DavenIII View Post
      I found these comments about 17 in an article on the top 20 worst area's for traffic in NJ

2. U.S. Route 17 is so bad that it claimed two of the state’s four spots on the INRIX worst-corridor list: the narrow two-lane stretch in Rochelle Park (ranked 181st by INRIX out of approximately 219); and the dense retail mecca in Paramus, where reentering the road after shopping is a high-stakes poker game (128th). The best alternative: other than Sundays, when Bergen County’s blue laws close most of the stores, is the GSP, which parallels Route 17 between Route 3 and the New York Thruway, says Bernie Wagenblast, who has been watching traffic for more than three decades at public transportation agencies, private companies and as one of the original Shadow Traffic reporters in 1979. He publishes the Transportation Communications Newsletter and gives weekend traffic reports on 1010 WINS and New Jersey 101.5.

the sad part is I have to pass both area's they are talking about the Mall and through Rochelle Park :P

the alternative routes aren't really any better either, most are further out of the way...I can take the turnpike or parkway but eventually I need to get on 80 using those routes and that's got horrendous traffic in my area as well sometimes....an those paths are not as direct.

17 is the worst but most direct and after years of driving on it you kind of figure out where to save time...there are places I literally exit the highway to go up onto an overpass only to get directly back on on the other side because using the on ramp and off ramps are MUCH faster then sitting still for 10 minutes.

that said I can usually use tricks to get to work in 40-45ish minutes but when there is a back up cause of an accident or construction or something...it's just hell...nothing works.
      There is a lot of public transportation in NJ, isn't taking a train an option for you? Is the bulk of the traffic near the beginning or end of your commute?

If it is in the beginning, you could park your car someplace past the traffic overnight and bicycle your way to it and drive the rest of the way in lighter traffic. Or if it is near the end you could drive to where the traffic begins and park an bicycle the rest of the way.

Or walk of course, but a bike would make it a bit quicker.

Comment

• Originally posted by gumby74 View Post
        So I'm thinking about doing Crossfit. I don't feel like running in the winter and Insanity is starting to bore me. But it's also like 150 a month.
        Sounds to me like youre a crossfitter.

RULE #1 OF CROSSFIT: NEVER SHUT UP ABOUT CROSSFIT!!!
        Oderint Dum Metuant

It's too bad, I'm too good....

Comment

• It is an 18 mile commute that takes you 2 hours. An average speed for a person in decent shape on a bicycle is about 15 mph, you'd get there faster if you bicycled the whole way even.

Comment

• $150 a month to do **** you can do at home, and learn all the wrong techniques that will leave you injured? Seems legit.....
            Oderint Dum Metuant

Comment

How would you fix it then? Sounds like you need a 2nd highway that runs parallel but you said the turnpike already does, so why doesn't that relieve the traffic? What is a jughandle? Is it like a circle?
              Can't be fixed. Been that way forever. Now everyone just has to deal with it lol
              Oderint Dum Metuant

Comment

It is an 18 mile commute that takes you 2 hours. An average speed for a person in decent shape on a bicycle is about 15 mph, you'd get there faster if you bicycled the whole way even.
                It took me two hours that day because there was worse than usual traffic, on average it's between 45 minutes to an hour.

the traffic is the worst i'd say 3/4's of the way through my commute, there are buses and trains that are all within a 15-20 minute walk to my work so I suppose I could do that but it just seems like it's more trouble then it's worth in my opinion, personally I'm not a big public transport guy.

as far as parking my car somewhere an biking to it, I'm not sure there is anywhere that I can think of on the way that would just allow me to leave my car parked without ticketing it.

Comment

Do you live north enough to cross country ski or snow shoe? I used to like snowshoeing through a 3d range I used when I lived in NE. Rarely was anybody on the course, it was nice. Carrying your gear over a very hilly course in a couple of feet of snow is one heck of a work out.
                  I wish. Before I had kids, I'd fly out west just to ski and would train locally hiking up the closest ski mountain carrying avalanche gear etc to prepare. But yeah, that's definitely hard.
                  http://boards.giants.com/showthread....est-game/page6
                  http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/Articles/11_2554_A_brief,_fact-filled_history_of_the_NFL_passing_game.html
                  http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8732732/is-new-york-giants-qb-eli-manning-worthy-hall-fame-espn-magazine

Entire Team Let Eli down today - NYG4l

Comment

• Originally posted by JPizzack View Post
                    $150 a month to do **** you can do at home, and learn all the wrong techniques that will leave you injured? Seems legit.....
                    Yeah that's my thing too. That why if i do it, I'll do it for a little while, then stop once i know what they do. Problem is i don't have any equipment at home either.
                    http://boards.giants.com/showthread....est-game/page6
                    http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/Articles/11_2554_A_brief,_fact-filled_history_of_the_NFL_passing_game.html
                    http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8732732/is-new-york-giants-qb-eli-manning-worthy-hall-fame-espn-magazine

Entire Team Let Eli down today - NYG4l

Comment

• jmike, let me do my best to explain what a NJ Jughandle is......ugh....

So, you can't turn left at most intersections of big roads as per NJ state law.....so, what they do, is off the right hand lanes, they make a mini "exit" at every intersection that does a quarter loop, and crosses the intersection at a traffic light. SOOOOO.....let's say you have everyone trying to turn off at one exit? People just turning clogging all the lanes trying to get right in order to get left....its weird...
                      Oderint Dum Metuant

Comment

• Originally posted by DavenIII View Post
                        It took me two hours that day because there was worse than usual traffic, on average it's between 45 minutes to an hour.

the traffic is the worst i'd say 3/4's of the way through my commute, there are buses and trains that are all within a 15-20 minute walk to my work so I suppose I could do that but it just seems like it's more trouble then it's worth in my opinion, personally I'm not a big public transport guy.

as far as parking my car somewhere an biking to it, I'm not sure there is anywhere that I can think of on the way that would just allow me to leave my car parked without ticketing it.
                        I thought it was a big shopping district, there are always places to park where there is shopping, like a mall or something. The only way they will notice is if you leave it there for days at a time or park in exactly the same spot every day. Even then they will likely assume you work there unless some type of parking pass is required. No store is going to tow somebody and risk pissing them off unless they are sure that your car is a problem.

Comment

• Originally posted by JPizzack View Post
                          jmike, let me do my best to explain what a NJ Jughandle is......ugh....

So, you can't turn left at most intersections of big roads as per NJ state law.....so, what they do, is off the right hand lanes, they make a mini "exit" at every intersection that does a quarter loop, and crosses the intersection at a traffic light. SOOOOO.....let's say you have everyone trying to turn off at one exit? People just turning clogging all the lanes trying to get right in order to get left....its weird...
                          Oh, I know those things, didn't know they had a name. Ok, seems they would work better in a light traffic area. Couldn't they just put overpasses wherever the jughandle is? It would do the same job but eliminate the need for a traffic light, which would speed traffic both on the jughandle and the main highway. Or best yet make it a two level highway with express under with only a few exits and a full access level above it basically the same as now with overpasses replacing the jughandles.

Hmmm....

Double lanes of traffic, eliminate jughandles, eliminate traffic lights, access to express lanes to bypass most of it......I thought you said it couldn't be fixed, seems like those changes would do it.

Comment

I thought it was a big shopping district, there are always places to park where there is shopping, like a mall or something. The only way they will notice is if you leave it there for days at a time or park in exactly the same spot every day. Even then they will likely assume you work there unless some type of parking pass is required. No store is going to tow somebody and risk pissing them off unless they are sure that your car is a problem.
                            the entirety of the 10 mile stretch of highway is a shopping area pretty much, the biggest spot is a huge mall called the garden state plaza, I don't feel comfortable leaving my car in some parking lot somewhere for 8+ hours I do believe it might be towed, it's all strip malls along the side of the road, outside of the garden state plaza mall which has parking security cars that drive around all the time.

I'm not saying your idea is wrong, it might make sense to drive as far down as I can and then pull over and ride a bike the rest of the way...I've just never tried it, also it'd be dangerous to ride a bike on the side of any highway in this area at that time of day...I could figure out backroads but that's another whole ordeal and then on top of that there's the fact that I can't fit a bike into my FR-S (my car)
                            Last edited by DavenIII; 10-30-2015, 11:47 AM.

Comment

• Nobody knows who Milo Aukerman is, so my "80s Band" themed costume at work is not as awesome =\
                              I just did it because 1) I look like him, and 2) I LOVE Descendents
                              Oderint Dum Metuant

Comment

Oh, I know those things, didn't know they had a name. Ok, seems they would work better in a light traffic area. Couldn't they just put overpasses wherever the jughandle is? It would do the same job but eliminate the need for a traffic light, which would speed traffic both on the jughandle and the main highway. Or best yet make it a two level highway with express under with only a few exits and a full access level above it basically the same as now with overpasses replacing the jughandles.

Hmmm....

Double lanes of traffic, eliminate jughandles, eliminate traffic lights, access to express lanes to bypass most of it......I thought you said it couldn't be fixed, seems like those changes would do it.
                                those idea's could "help" but the overlying problem is the entirety of the highway is bracketed by shopping area so people are constantly coming to a stop to get off the road meanwhile the other half of the drivers are using the road as the most direct route to work, most roads with rt17 like volume have nothing on the sides except the occasional rest stop... they are used to get from A to B and not to stop every half mile....17 is used to get from A to B by some people but other people are stopping every half mile to check out a store.

It's like a main street type road with interstate type volume and that's not gonna change unless they remove the majority of the business's that are along it.

Comment

Working...
                                X