This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by jmike View Post
    I think there is too much elitist discussion on what "good" music is. If you enjoy listening to a 3 year old blow randomly into a ref's whistle, than listen to it and enjoy regardless of what others think.
    I'm not talking about what people prefer to hear. We're discussing if purchasing music or lack thereof has had an affect on the quality of music in tr music industry.
    Mood: WOOF!

Comment

• Originally posted by Rudy View Post
      I'm not talking about what people prefer to hear. We're discussing if purchasing music or lack thereof has had an affect on the quality of music in tr music industry.
      How is that a discussion? Of course it does. Who determines its "quality" though? Some people love commercial jingles from the 1980s and listen to them all day, to them, that is quality.

Comment

• "I put my pants on just like the rest of ya. Except once my pants are on, I make gold records"

Comment

• #TBT:

Originally posted by Rudy View Post
          Your team needs to be on life alert.

Both of them.
          My body was sculpted to the proportions of Michelangelo's David.

Comment

How is that a discussion? Of course it does. Who determines its "quality" though? Some people love commercial jingles from the 1980s and listen to them all day, to them, that is quality.
            Pure album sales
            Mood: WOOF!

Comment

People buy music from people who are talented.

Look at Adele, although I think she is overrated, she's a talented singer. Went platinum the first week, and is the highest selling artist of 2015 (or one of them). The argument that it's the fans fault that music is the way it is, is a bit off base. People buy quality. If it's not quality, the ain't paying for it.
              Well, she had her following from the previous album(s?) if I'm not mistaken....so right now I'm sure you could argue anything she puts out will be platinum for a while. idk if that makes her overrated though. Not my cup of tea personally, so I can't say.
              Oderint Dum Metuant

It's too bad, I'm too good....

Comment

What REALLY set music back was the importance of "chart performance." Billboard chartcperformance and l of that stupidity. Which song is trending and the most popular. Nowadays people want to top the charts, and to top the charts, you need catchy songs people will repeatedly listen to over and over again. The trendier and catchier your song is, the faster it will climb up the charts and chart performance = more accolades and exposure for the artist.
                I agree. Selling doesn't make you good. that once again just kind of defines pop as a loose genre I guess.
                Oderint Dum Metuant

Comment

• Originally posted by dezzzR View Post
                  "I put my pants on just like the rest of ya. Except once my pants are on, I make gold records"
                  This post needs more cowbell.
                  Oderint Dum Metuant

Comment

• Originally posted by JPizzack View Post
                    I don't see how that's the fault of the fans. regardless of pirating(which is not as big of a problem as you'd think), they should be putting out quality if they want sales.

I don't see any legitimate band "following a formula oriented, market tested structure" to make music. Unless youre talking about Nickelback type garbage. I'd buy that that type of music would.
                    I'm not talking about legit bands who make their living touring. I'm talking about pop music which is crap. Those aren't even melodies for God's sake.

Why do you all think bands like U2 and the Rolling Stones are still around? Because today's music sucks. And the fact that we now have a generation of thieves is the main reason. You all reap what you sow.
                    Admit nothing. Deny everything. Make counter accusations.

Comment

I'd say whether or not an artist has crossover appeal is pretty telling of quality. I'm a fan of punk rock. But when I find a hip-hop act I like, or a singer like adele, like dezz said, I'd say that would mean they are doing a damn good job of making a quality product.

That can't be the only benchmark though. Defining quality is damn impossible. How about "Will people listen and buy this album in 20 years?" does that make quality. Morehead brought up Queen earlier. I could listen to that **** all day. Quality. And they haven't been around in 25 years.
                      Oderint Dum Metuant

Comment

• Originally posted by Morehead State View Post
                        I'm not talking about legit bands who make their living touring. I'm talking about pop music which is crap. Those aren't even melodies for God's sake.

Why do you all think bands like U2 and the Rolling Stones are still around? Because today's music sucks. And the fact that we now have a generation of thieves is the main reason. You all reap what you sow.
                        You and I, sir, are on the same page....
                        Oderint Dum Metuant

Comment

I agree, talent is talent. Either record companies dont know real music, are lazy, or cheap.
                          Dezz...You can't make money recording anymore.
                          No one buys music. They steal it. That's why they can't make investments in great talent anymore.

Do you know how long it took a band like Kansas to hit it big? Their label stayed behind them for years. Today those kinds of bands are playing clubs somewhere.
                          Admit nothing. Deny everything. Make counter accusations.

Comment

• Originally posted by Morehead State View Post
                            Dezz...You can't make money recording anymore.
                            No one buys music. They steal it. That's why they can't make investments in great talent anymore.

Do you know how long it took a band like Kansas to hit it big? Their label stayed behind them for years. Today those kinds of bands are playing clubs somewhere.
                            Well thats exactly it. Record labels are being cheap like I said and dont want to invest.
                            I feel like theres some new tween rapper out every week and then you never hear from them again. Someone could correct me on that, I dont follow it.

Tbunny fo eva

Comment

• The first time I heard Flo rida I saw his name on the radio screen and I said " What idiot names himself Florida". Everyone laughed at me. hahahaaaa

Comment

The first time I heard Flo rida I saw his name on the radio screen and I said " What idiot names himself Florida". Everyone laughed at me. hahahaaaa
                                Just because his name isn't pronounced that way, doesn't mean it isn't his name....and it still makes him an idiot.
                                Last edited by JPizzack; 12-31-2015, 01:37 PM.
                                Oderint Dum Metuant

Comment

Working...
                                X