X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by gmen0820 View Post
    Calvin
    Yea, such a bummer. But the guy played through so many injuries. Seemed like every year.

1st ballot HOF
    Oderint Dum Metuant

It's too bad, I'm too good....

Comment

• Originally posted by JPizzack View Post
      Yea, such a bummer. But the guy played through so many injuries. Seemed like every year.

1st ballot HOF
      borderline HOF at best.

Of course he deserves it a hell of a lot more than many of the players in there, so you are probably right. Costco has more stringent standards for its members than the HOF.

Comment

• Originally posted by jmike View Post
        borderline HOF at best.

Of course he deserves it a hell of a lot more than many of the players in there, so you are probably right. Costco has more stringent standards for its members than the HOF.
        ummm, no I don't think that's accurate.
        "Was this player clearly one of the best during his time playing?".... if you can answer yes to that question, than that person is a Hall of Famer.

In the discussion of best WR every since his rookie year, Megatron has been at the top of that list the whole time. His injuries caught up to him, but there's no question that for multiple years, he WAS THEEEEE best at his position. That's HOF imo
        Oderint Dum Metuant

Comment

"Was this player clearly one of the best during his time playing?".... if you can answer yes to that question, than that person is a Hall of Famer.

In the discussion of best WR every since his rookie year, Megatron has been at the top of that list the whole time. His injuries caught up to him, but there's no question that for multiple years, he WAS THEEEEE best at his position. That's HOF imo
          HoFer for sure but Im not sure about first ballot.

Comment

• Originally posted by dezzzR View Post
            HoFer for sure but Im not sure about first ballot.
            Guess we'll just have to wait and see. Might also depend on whos listed as eligible the same year he is. But I'm just really certain about it.
            Oderint Dum Metuant

Comment

I think that definition of a hall of famer is way too lax. It should be, "is this player clearly among the top 5 of all time who played his position?" If he is, then you have to decide which player gets dropped out of the Hall of Fame to make a spot for him.

Comment

Guess we'll just have to wait and see. Might also depend on whos listed as eligible the same year he is. But I'm just really certain about it.
                You are probably right he does get in on the first ballot, but that is more because it has become the Hall of Fair.

Comment

I think that definition of a hall of famer is way too lax. It should be, "is this player clearly among the top 5 of all time who played his position?" If he is, then you have to decide which player gets dropped out of the Hall of Fame to make a spot for him.
                  what the ****?
                  I'm going to assume you are kidding.
                  Oderint Dum Metuant

Comment

what the ****?
                    I'm going to assume you are kidding.
                    Nope. Or maybe just make the number of Hall of Famers equal to the current roster size. 53 players in, that way you don't end up with 5 punters. If you vote for somebody to get in, you need to vote for the person to be cut to make a spot on the roster for him. Do you really belong in the Hall of Fame if your rear end would be cut if they tried to make a team out of them? I don't think so.

Comment

Nope. Or maybe just make the number of Hall of Famers equal to the current roster size. 53 players in, that way you don't end up with 5 punters. If you vote for somebody to get in, you need to vote for the person to be cut to make a spot on the roster for him. Do you really belong in the Hall of Fame if your rear end would be cut if they tried to make a team out of them? I don't think so.
                      That's honestly the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard.

1) You cannot reasonably compare a player like Johnny Unitas to a Tom Brady from different eras. People make the statement that Tom Brady is clearly one of the best QBs of all time. But guess what? Back in the day, Unitas was the best of all time. You can't discredit one to honor another.

2) certain positions have intangible values you cannot tie to statistics. Offensive linemen are the best example. There are no statistics to prove Bruce Matthews is better or worse than Anthony Munoz for example. You just KNOW they are 2 of the best OLs to play in the past 30 years.

3) The game changes. constantly. Who knows if we'll even view RBs the same way that we did 10 years ago. We kind of already don't. There's not a lot of featured backs anymore.

What you're saying takes so much away from what the game has been over the past 100+ years.
                      Oderint Dum Metuant

Comment

Thats crazy.

Comment

That's honestly the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard.

1) You cannot reasonably compare a player like Johnny Unitas to a Tom Brady from different eras. People make the statement that Tom Brady is clearly one of the best QBs of all time. But guess what? Back in the day, Unitas was the best of all time. You can't discredit one to honor another.

2) certain positions have intangible values you cannot tie to statistics. Offensive linemen are the best example. There are no statistics to prove Bruce Matthews is better or worse than Anthony Munoz for example. You just KNOW they are 2 of the best OLs to play in the past 30 years.

3) The game changes. constantly. Who knows if we'll even view RBs the same way that we did 10 years ago. We kind of already don't. There's not a lot of featured backs anymore.

What you're saying takes so much away from what the game has been over the past 100+ years.
                          You probably want to give out participation trophies at the end of the year also.

Comment

• Originally posted by dezzzR View Post
                            Thats crazy.
                            Yea, god forbid the hall of famers actually be the best of the best. That would be crazy.

Comment

Yea, god forbid the hall of famers actually be the best of the best. That would be crazy.
                              What you don't understand is that you can't compare the best of the 1950s to the best of 2016. There's literally no argument you could make otherwise.
                              Oderint Dum Metuant

Comment

• I like what jmike is saying, but she just isn't going far enough with it (give her a break -- she's a woman). There should only be one player from each position, and when someone usurps the incumbent HoFer, the guy leaving the HoF is obligated to kill himself within 36 hours of the new candidates induction.
                                My body was sculpted to the proportions of Michelangelo's David.

Comment

Working...
                                X